Driver including rootkit malware signed by Microsoft

realpetertdm

Microsoft tests drivers before assigning them a digital certificate that approves them to be installed by default. Somehow, a driver called Netfilter that redirects traffic to an IP in China and installs a root certificate to the registry managed to make it through that testing without being detected as malware.

Karsten Hahn, a malware analyst at G Data, found the malicious driver and notified Microsoft, "who promptly added malware signatures to Windows Defender and are now conducting an internal investigation." Microsoft also suspended the account that submitted the driver, and is currently going over their previous submissions.

Microsoft's security response center team described the malware's activity as "limited to the gaming sector specifically in China" and explained its purpose: "The actor's goal is to use the driver to spoof their geo-location to cheat the system and play from anywhere. The malware enables them to gain an advantage in games and possibly exploit other players by compromising their accounts through common tools like keyloggers."

How did this happen? Right now, nobody knows. Windows users are advised, "There are no actions customers should take other than follow security best practices and deploy Antivirus software such as Windows Defender for Endpoint."

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/a-driver-containing-rootkit-malware-was-certified-by-microsoft/

If you're looking for a more detailed explanation, read this article from Bleeping Computer:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-admits-to-signing-rootkit-malware-in-supply-chain-fiasco/

TLDR

- A driver called "netfiller" was signed by Microsoft

- Said driver was communicating with China based C&C IPs that provided no legitimate functionality

- Microsoft is currently investigating this situation

- Microsoft has suspendes the account of the actor

- Microsoft recommends no additional action as of right now

Yeah... this doesn't sound good. Not at all. Rootkits and malware have always been around, but the fact that it's included in a driver signed by Microsoft is somewhat concerning. 

what was this driver distributed with? is it part of another software package we should all be aware of? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

See? This is why we need TPM2.0!  /s

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

what was this driver distributed with? is it part of another software package we should all be aware of? 

I'm curious as well, is it part of a game installer or something? like Valorant?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, realpetertdm said:

"There are no actions customers should take other than follow security best practices and deploy Antivirus software such as Windows Defender for Endpoint."

In other words - "We think we know better than our customers so use Windows Defender,They stupid so we do everything for them,the customer can't think for itself."

Also the shameless promotion of Windows Defender...

~insert random swear word here~ you too Microsoft.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

49 minutes ago, Vishera said:

In other words - "We think we know better than our customers so use Windows Defender,They stupid so we do everything for them,the customer can't think for itself."

Also the shameless promotion of Windows Defender...

~insert random swear word here~ you too Microsoft.

Right, but about the signed driver.. Is simply blocking it at the AV level enough, or will they have to issue a revocation against the original vendor that signed the driver?

9 hours ago, StDragon said:

The fact it was signed is the bigger issue here. What else was signed that shouldn't have been?!

That's pretty much the entire issue. 

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I'm going back to DOS, fuck this shit.

DOS is way too new. BASIC might be malware-impervious though.

elephants

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I'm going back to DOS, fuck this shit.

Let's just go back to OS/360.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

They know what's good for ya, so, signed!

I mean really, they need to get this together.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 6/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, StDragon said:

The fact it was signed is the bigger issue here. What else was signed that shouldn't have been?!

yeah… i mean… yeah…  doesnt help that half of windows "legitimate" processes apparently  are named like malware because the "team" somehow thought thats funny…

20210629_174737.thumb.jpg.dd5517d692e116db5d647587906bf749.jpg

security through obscurity only works if you know what youre doing, which in Microsoft's case is - highly - questionable.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah… i mean… yeah…  doesnt help that half of windows "legitimate" processes apparently  are named like malware because the "team" somehow thought thats funny…

security through obscurity only works if you know what youre doing, which in Microsoft's case is - highly - questionable.

Drivers talk to the kernel. So if you use a driver that's been signed (trusted) and pass malware through it, that ostensibly could root the box depending on the function.

With regards to services, those are just programs that run at startup or upon demand without having to be logged into a computer as "user".

Run MSCONFIG, then select the "Services" tab. From there, you can put a checkmark in the box next to "Hide all Microsoft services". There's your list of 3rd party entries (Google Update Service, Adobe Acrobat Update Service, NVIDIA, VMWare..etc, stuff like that)

6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Drivers talk to the kernel. So if you use a driver that's been signed (trusted) and pass malware through it, that ostensibly could root the box depending on the function.

With regards to services, those are just programs that run at startup or upon demand without having to be logged into a computer as "user".

Run MSCONFIG, then select the "Services" tab. From there, you can put a checkmark in the box next to "Hide all Microsoft services". There's your list of 3rd party entries (Google Update Service, Adobe Acrobat Update Service, NVIDIA, VMWare..etc, stuff like that)

to me its more of an issue that through this "obscurity"  (they really made some stuff random, like these host processes, with random numbers) make it easier for malware to camouflage as "system processes" . i sometimes go to file location to check if its in sys32 folder, but that is really tedious, esp because  some stuff keeps renaming itself (as mentioned)

btw, lol thats funny, this is literally it. 🤔 is that normal, i somehow  expected more none Microsoft stuff?

20210629_181001.thumb.jpg.17c2b9d9d499ba95c0c28fb5f9c64fae.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

btw, lol thats funny, this is literally it. 🤔 is that normal, i somehow  expected more none Microsoft stuff?

Uncheck the box at the bottom. It's hiding everything Microsoft.

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

to me its more of an issue that through this "obscurity"  (they really made some stuff random, like these host processes, with random numbers) make it easier for malware to camouflage as "system processes" . i sometimes go to file location to check if its in sys32 folder, but that is really tedious, esp because  some stuff keeps renaming itself (as mentioned)

20210629_181001.thumb.jpg.17c2b9d9d499ba95c0c28fb5f9c64fae.jpg

Few more from me, but they're Intel and game launchers so nothing shocking either sadly.

3 minutes ago, ramava said:

Uncheck the box at the bottom. It's hiding everything Microsoft.

They expected more non Microsoft services 😉

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Big Brother Winnie the pooh is watching you !

/s

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

14 minutes ago, tikker said:

Few more from me, but they're Intel and game launchers so nothing shocking either sadly.

its just weird to me what constitutes as service and what doesnt… i suppose  disabled services dont show up there?  i mean i dont see whats different between Amd "crash defender" , "macrium" and "corsair link" except the former are both disabled…

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

its just weird to me what constitutes as service and what doesnt… i suppose  disabled services dont show up there?  i mean i dont see whats different between Amd "crash defender" , "macrium" and "corsair link" except the former are both disabled…

I already told you. A service is just another application that runs as the system, but not specifically initiated by a user account within Windows.

Services and drivers are different things. A driver is used by an application or API to talk directly to hardware. A driver isn't a service, but a service can run a program that talks to the driver.

You can read up on what Services are in the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/windows-services/introduction-to-windows-service-applications

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You know how some programs will ask if you want them to run at startup? If you select yes they get added as a service, thats all a service is, a program that runs, (usually invisibly), at startup.

7 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

You know how some programs will ask if you want them to run at startup? If you select yes they get added as a service, thats all a service is, a program that runs, (usually invisibly), at startup.

That's not entirely accurate.

A service loads during kernel loading and booting, a startup typically resides in the registry, and runs when that section of the registry is accessed at bootup.

A subtle, but distinct difference.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's not entirely accurate.

A service loads during kernel loading and booting, a startup typically resides in the registry, and runs when that section of the registry is accessed at bootup.

A subtle, but distinct difference.

Yes but i've noticed a lot today will add themselves as a service so it still provides a solid handle to grasp the concept by. They're clearly allready confused, i was trying not to confuse them more while thy got their head around the issue.