A new version of windows is coming!!!

Bratstech
4 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

There are now horizontal mullions in the window shadow… Windows 11 incoming lol.

If I was in the marketing dept I wouldn't be able to contain myself and go EXPERIENCE THE NEXT GENERATION OF WINDOWS TURNED ALL THE WAY UP TO 11

10 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

If I was in the marketing dept I wouldn't be able to contain myself and go EXPERIENCE THE NEXT GENERATION OF WINDOWS TURNED ALL THE WAY UP TO 11

Yeeeees

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Guess what? You are barking at a already fixed issue.........
(My LO install is as is it came with the OS, embeds video without a hitch.)

/EDIT
As for MSO it is not a fair comparison because win10 has mediaplayer by default. Linux on the other hand dont, so they have to choose one to use and mark it as a dependency.

It's not a fixed issue. It's not feature parity on any OS. LibreOffice doesn't support Video. Period. And they don't want to fix it. They could easily have used the same solution Chrome and OBS uses, which is to use VLC as a backend for that, but that isn't even an option.

And before this derails further. "Not a fair comparison", no, it's an absolutely fair comparison because OpenOffice/LibreOffice is claimed to replace Office, yet clearly it doesn't for uses people would expect, considering how frequently people have reported not supporting video as a bug.

Windows doesn't have this problem. Microsoft Office doesn't have this problem. Microsoft may be seen as expensive, but the amount of time wasted on open source "alternatives" to Microsoft products is often far more expensive than just using the Microsoft product. Where possible I've tried to not buy Microsoft products, but I sure as hell am not subjecting anyone I know to a Linux Desktop because everyone I know likes their computer to work.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

This was just an example. I was told the same in the past just asking for help when I was new to Linux based OS. At the time, the community of Ubuntu was the only one that were welcoming, others were unhelpful, your thread was ignored, or (if you dare to mention "Ubuntu") were hostile. Distro war was a thing and still a thing. Very sad.... another problem.

I've run into this problem more than once in the last two years, that LibreOffice issue was still fresh in my mind (April of this year) and cost me enough time to actually grumble about it on Twitter. You'll note I was still using OpenOffice up to that point. It went from "images randomly getting deleted from OO Impress" to "No videos at all, work in LO Impress."

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Issues/suggestions are nearly always seen as a critic by many community members, and their argument ends with "Well, it's open source... So, fix it yourself!". That is like if I go and say, "Oh you don't like the GUI of Windows? You dare comment on this pinacle of perfection! Well guess what, you can replace explorer.exe... So, go ahead! Windows has APIs and you have multiple programming languages, pick one, and get started!".  This attitude is just ridicules.

Yeah this. It's like there is some assumption that the software is already perfect, and YOU the user are making an unreasonable request.

Sometimes, yes, users do make unreasonable requests because they aren't software developers and haven't much idea what goes into GUI development. Yet, when something is clearly a bug, and at worse ambiguous (the error message would report the video is unsupported no matter what was selected, thus I wasted an entire day trying different containers and codecs, with only "animated GIF" working, poorly.) Really sucks to have a 500KB video become 20MB as a gif. It's as nearly as bad as converting a 50KB SWF file into a 20MB video.

Anyway, I've never seen Microsoft go "we don't support that/aren't considering that", they always take feedback of reasonable requests. Now I really wish I could see what their decision process is when it comes to making all these hokey UI changes (I'd much rather go back to the Control panel's multiple tools than the settings (which doesn't allow you to have any other settings panel open.)

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

You say this like as if you dont have to go to the MS forums if you have issues, just like how it works for most linux distro. Its funny how everyone forgets about this tid-bit.... :old-eyeroll:

Maybe some small distro but generally whenever i had an issue it was anything but what you wrote.

If you dont like it ok, but dont run around spreading false information. And im done with this, enough off topic.

I think I captured these peoples' mentality in this picture. 

how_it_works.png.784364d08e843612901945f5e4eaf035.png

Some people are incapable of nuanced thinking and would rather just make sweeping generalizations.

Personally, I have had great experience with support for open source.

OP5 from ITRS Group.

Red Hat from... Red Hat.

Elastic from... Elastic.

Chromium from Google.

Windows Terminal and VS Code from Microsoft.

Lots of appliances that run on GNU/Linux, SNORT and other open source software from Cisco.

Firefox from Mozilla.

I've filed bug reports, feature suggestions, asked for help etc and I've gotten plenty of help and good responses from all of the above.

I have also had terrible experience with support for closed source software. Windows for example is notorious for just ignoring feedback and bug reports and doing their own thing. I mean, remember when the data wiping bug was reported several times to Microsoft and they just ignored it?

Remember when µTorrent started going downhill and ignored all user feedback?

Do I even need to mention Adobe?

I've also had some good experience with closed source support, and bad experience with some open source software.

The world really isn't as black and white as some people want it to be.

Wait.... 

You mean all you people are still running W10?

Man Windows 12 was already released. Where has everyone been?

https://win12iso.com/

they really wanted to push this update, as it was one of the updates I couldn't wait with or easy block.

Man the news feed is annoying, more so I can't change it compared to the start button feed? Way to go, less stuff one can manage with horrible interface and using edge/MS account.

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 11 is the release Windows goes free. Or at least offers the Core/Home version for free.

Personally, I think the time is right to end this Home/Pro structure they have now, because no one else in the industry does this anymore. It's not 1998. But assuming they don't, I think at least Windows 11 Home will be free. It's no secret that Microsoft has been struggling to keep up with Chromebooks and iPads in the lower-end/education market. Partly because device manufacturers have to stomach the license cost for Windows 10. Lets assume that a Windows 10 license costs an OEM ~$50 (This isn't including any products that take advantage with that Windows 8.1 with Bing program, whatever they call it now and if it even still exists, and the price is probably lower), your Chromebook competitor is now at least $50 cheaper, assuming the OEM doesn't use it as an excuse to raise margins (I would assume not because to me it makes little sense to increase margins on a product that sells a lot?)

Other than that, my personal speculations are that there will be a brand new redesigned Windows Store that uses WinGet as its backend (It would explain why they announced such a big feature so early. To get developers toying around with it so they're off to the races when the first developer beta of Windows 11 comes out) and allows regular Win32 apps to be serviced and upgraded. I'd assume they would use this release to kill off native 32-bit support, as the most powerful 32-bit system is like what, a Core Duo? Who the hell is running a 2021/2022 operating system on a 2005 computer? They will also probably use this to bring up the minimum requirements from the anemic 1 GB and 2GB for 32-bit and 64-bit respectively, to 4 GB.

If they follow the driver structure of Windows 10X, goodbye to any device that doesn't use the new DCH driver technology. So pretty much if you have a laptop from 2014 and before, you will not get native support on pretty much anything. If you have a peripheral from 2014 and earlier that didn't update to the "Windows Drivers" system, goodbye to that. I hope they don't do this, or they will end up with another Vista, but if they did it for Windows 10X, and are pushing developers to use this instead of the "Windows Desktop Drivers" we have been using, it's not a stretch.

Lastly, a Common Fucking Design Language. That is literally all I can hope for. I don't know what's wrong with Microsoft. They did it with XP, Vista, 7, and 8. Yes, there were places in each OS where stuff looked janky, but it was never this bad. It's been almost 6 years, so it's easy to forget, but Windows 10 ushered in 3 completely different design languages. You have the flat language they started off with the RTM, where things somehow managed to look flatter than Windows 8.1. You have the early Fluent design in 2017, with acrylic and glass, but they gave up on that, so now we have the modern Fluent design, with more neuromorphic iconography and designs that closely resemble the new Edge browser, but an overall flat appearance, nothing like 2017 Fluent was supposed to be. But the issue is, none of these design languages were incorporated system wide. Today, on Windows 10 21H1, you get 2017 Fluent on the taskbar, the Action Center, and some UWP apps. You get modern fluent on the web Office Apps, the default Edge browser, and some of the more recent UWP apps Microsoft have published, like that Office app. Then, you get the 2015 flat look on the rest of the system. Excuse me?

All I want Windows 11 to do is to just scrap whatever ideas they had with Windows 10 and make a common design language. Microsoft did this before, this is not a foreign thing for them. Windows Vista still looks good today. That's how far ahead they were in design that long ago (Windows Vista is 14 years old, and looks better than the latest version of Windows 10). If they do nothing else in this post, just do that. Or else there's no point in upgrading if they're going to add a 4th design language to cobble up the system with.

On 6/9/2021 at 4:34 AM, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

or they will end up with another Vista,

tenor-1.gif.fe80164f0050a4e3f016e147bd6c5b61.gif

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well, seems I'm going to be a pretty busy PC Technician for a few years cause people won't understand Windows 11.

It's like Big Sur all over again! (Seriously, if I get another "my printer doesn't work"...)

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

On 5/25/2021 at 6:28 PM, Bratstech said:

I have been writing a lot about Microsoft today

Summary

Microsoft has teased a new version of Windows! Not just some update to windows but a "Next generation" of the Operating system. Rumors have suggested Microsoft may even allow third-party commerce platforms in apps, so developers could avoid Microsoft’s own 15 percent cut on apps and 12 percent cut on games. I guess they might be taking a shot at Apple about the legal battle that is going on about the app fairness. None of the new features of the "Next generation" windows have been officially announced but should get a full unveiling soon. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Cool I am excited to see what it will look like and how it will integrate with past apps but I think that most apps should work just fine.

Sources

Microsoft teases a ‘next generation of Windows’ announcement ‘very soon’ - The Verge

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/05/25/microsoft-ceo-confirms-next-generation-of-windows-10-with-big-changes/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/satya-nadella-teases-the-next-generation-of-windows-is-coming-soon/ar-AAKn5j2?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Remember when Microsoft said that windows 10 would be the last version, well that was a lie.

Edited by Pixian

"In Human Society, There Are Very Few People Who Truly Trust Each Other."

25 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Well, seems I'm going to be a pretty busy PC Technician for a few years cause people won't understand Windows 11.

It's like Big Sur all over again! (Seriously, if I get another "my printer doesn't work"...)

"Job security"

1 hour ago, sounds said:

This meme seemed appropos -

vader_win11.jpeg

I can see this happening too. Happened with Windows 10. I remember one lady sued Microsoft for the fact she didnt give permission for it to install. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Wonder if the new windows will finally transition the entire control panel into the settings panel

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

49 minutes ago, Pixian said:

Remember when Microsoft said that windows 10 would be the last version, well that was a lie.

New CEO, new culture, new direction. You are passing from a CEO stuck in the 90's to what we have now.

45 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I can see this happening too. Happened with Windows 10. I remember one lady sued Microsoft for the fact she didnt give permission for it to install. 

No, that was not the case. This was only the headlines of the news, for click bait.

The issue was Microsoft was using deceptive practices to push people to upgrade with its "Get Windows 10" app.

The issue was that Microsoft gave a choice, and that choice was deceptive in its selection.

Not having a choice (like all software) is the way forward, and I expect Microsoft to do the same. Windows 11 (or whatever it will be called), will be like any new Windows 10 versions. Distributed the same way, and is... well... the same." Windows 11" (or whatever it will be called) is just marketing.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

new direction

Using us poor fucks as guinea pigs, thats the new direction. Maybe they will finally make Windows a subscription service like everyone was predicting. 

35 minutes ago, Daethz said:

Wonder if the new windows will finally transition the entire control panel into the settings panel

Doubt it. I read somewhere the reason that hasn't happened was due to issues with compatibility. Plus its more fun having to search two or three different places to make changes. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Using us poor fucks as guinea pigs, thats the new direction. Maybe they will finally make Windows a subscription service like everyone was predicting. 

That was the previous CEO decision, in his attempt to be modern. The new CEO has hired back a QA team, and is working with third party company doing additional QA testing of Windows. Issues have diminished since. Most issues these days, are nearly always corner cases configuration, which the press, desperate for clicks, acting like it affects everyone including their pet. These are in line with previous version of Windows and Service Packs releases. 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

That was the previous CEO decision, in his attempt to be modern. The new CEO has hired back a QA team, and is working with third party company doing additional QA testing of Windows. Issues have diminished since. Most issues these days, are nearly always corner cases configuration, which the press, desperate for clicks, acting like it affects everyone including their pet. These are in line with previous version of Windows and Service Packs releases. 

Still. In my eyes Windows 10 is a big pile of poo. What ever the new CEO might have dont was too little to late. Also Windows 10 was released in 2015. Ballmer was out in 2014. So I think some of those decisions were the new CEO. 

The fact is I still have PTSD from the early days of Windows 10. I had nothing but issues. Such issues have made me expand my horizons when looking for OS's. Windows in my setup has been downgraded from daily driver to gaming only. I dont trust Window's 10. 

And the name will be:Windows 10 v2? Windows 10.1? Windows 20? Windows Consumer 2021 to match the name of their server OS's, or just Windows.

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Still. In my eyes Windows 10 is a big pile of poo. What ever the new CEO might have dont was too little to late. Also Windows 10 was released in 2015. Ballmer was out in 2014. So I think some of those decisions were the new CEO. 

Plans were already set in motion. When you are a CEO of a mega corp, its not like in movies "Oh yea day 1, Or here is the plan guys!". You have no plan, and probably be in self training for over a year.

The fact is I still have PTSD from the early days of Windows 10. I had nothing but issues. Such issues have made me expand my horizons when looking for OS's. Windows in my setup has been downgraded from daily driver to gaming only. I dont trust Window's 10. 

Great!

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The day Windows 10 broke AMD's GPU switching was the day I really started to dislike Windows 10. My laptop which was genuinely at the time far better than most if not all sup $800 AUD laptops at the time (with both the CPU and graphics) became unusable overnight.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Doubt it. I read somewhere the reason that hasn't happened was due to issues with compatibility. Plus its more fun having to search two or three different places to make changes. 

MS should just rip the Band-Aid off and start clean with one settings menu.

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The fact is I still have PTSD from the early days of Windows 10. I had nothing but issues. Such issues have made me expand my horizons when looking for OS's.

Then you're new to computing. Let me tell you something, every OS serves up PTSD pretty well. I have yet to run into that mythical well running OS. They all have their own little demons to wrangle with.

56 minutes ago, StDragon said:

MS should just rip the Band-Aid off and start clean with one settings menu.

While it is coming... in the sense that nearly every version of Windows 10, they have moved things to the Settings panel. I wish they would just get a team together to only focus on that task.