A new version of windows is coming!!!

Bratstech
1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

The news and interests thing. Wonder if this was something for a future Windows version that was moved over.

It got rolled out along with 21H1. After updating to 21H1, I had a new "Cumulative Update" that brought News and Interests.

I don't use the News and Interests part, but the weather readout is SUPER handy.

elephants

4 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

IDK if this is in the regular public build of Windows yet but this has been in the Insider builds for a while:

The news and interests thing. Wonder if this was something for a future Windows version that was moved over.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

It got rolled out along with 21H1. After updating to 21H1, I had a new "Cumulative Update" that brought News and Interests.

I don't use the News and Interests part, but the weather readout is SUPER handy.

Perfect example of the kinda bloat some of us hate about W10.

Still ,,there's always W10 LTSC ..though even that needs some tweaks to be ideal.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

Still ,,there's always W10 LTSC ..though even that needs some tweaks to be ideal.

The News and Interests part is absolutely useless, I will admit. However the traffic and weather is useful, I will admit.

But... more background processes is not what Win10 needs.

image.png.bb8a803b28e4cc47c8d13696840ac0bf.png

Around 7 of those are not Windows 10 stock.

7 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

The News and Interests part is absolutely useless, I will admit. However the traffic and weather is useful, I will admit.

Can I easly manage my background processes? oh :U

I guess it was called gadgets in windows 7? just hope that those features are a lot better than the old times and security stuff, to constant refreshes/internet connection or tracking/ads to running it when not wanted.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

Can I easly manage my background processes? oh :U

I guess it was called gadgets in windows 7? just hope that those features are a lot better than the old times and security stuff, to constant refreshes/internet connection or tracking/ads to running it when not wanted.

You can sort of easily manage them by opening task manager and killing them all! If you're really devoted you can go into the background processes in settings and disable any you want. 

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Considering that the News app didn't get any updates for a while, and this new... let's call it... widget, is more feature packed, than I suspect Microsoft plans to kill off the News app.

1 hour ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

I disagree. But what about background processes? News & Interest is not a background process.

Process count isn't an issue. RAM is plentiful, and meant to be used. It is a waste of money if it is not being used.

This is also why Microsoft took advantage of this by splitting the processes out a while back (assuming you have the RAM), creating a big jump in process count. This has helped increase system security (can't exploit a hole for 1 thing and use that to penetrate another thing to do what it wants to do) and stability (if a process crashes, not several stuff fails at the same time). 

6 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Jesus, OSR2...that's bringing me back nightmares.

I remember downloading the illegit versions of OSR2 from the scene long ago and people discussing the improvements vs win95.

I also don't recall windows 98 being bad at all.  It was basically 95 + OSR2 + USB support IIRC.

Win ME was atrocious.  Windows 2k wasn't bad.  There were just too many 16 bit real mode devices and drivers still around to make it useful for mainstream.  It was extremely stable, far more than 98SE/ME.  Tons of people were still using ISA sound cards when 2k came out, which meant no sound.  Which also meant no low level support for MS DOS games (legacy apps were still rather popular at that time).  I'm not even sure if 16 bit apps could even -load- on 2k.  So dual boots of 2k and 98SE were done often.

XP finally did proper integration of 16 bit and 32 bit support and more companies were writing 32 bit drivers now.  16 bit applications could run in XP now (under most conditions, but not all) but real mode (DOS) driver access was not allowed.  So you could load up games designed for windows 3.1 on XP 🙂

2K did not use 16-bit drivers, period. 16-bit software can run only on 32-bit versions of Windows via the WOW (Windows on Windows) system. 64-bit versions of Windows 7, Vista, 10 etc do not have the 16-bit WOW on them, rather they have the 32-bit WOW on them to run 32-bit software.

I do expect at some point that Microsoft will attempt to release a 64-bit only version of Windows and make the 32-bit layer optional, following Apple's MacOS X steps. Windows oddly enough is the only OS that has ever managed to make 32-bit and 64-bit stuff play nice together. The way software is packaged for other OS's either required a fat binary (OSX) or for the package manager only OS-build versions of binaries (Linux, FreeBSD), because libraries all went into the same place, regardless if they were 32bit or 64-bit on every OS. Basically since every version of NT has been two copies of Windows, the OS runs 32-bit or 16-bit software on the WOW layer, and that software sees the WOW directories rather than the 64-bit OS directories unless the installer was braindead and trying to install things into hard-coded paths.

That said, Microsoft doesn't support 16-bit-on-32-bit-on-64bit, which is why no Windows 3.1 software will run on 64-bit versions of Vista/7/8/8.1/10/etc , and really, you probably don't want to run that stuff without a virtual machine of some sort (eg dosbox) since PC's are well over 100x faster than the computers 3.1 was intended to run on.

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

I do expect at some point that Microsoft will attempt to release a 64-bit only version of Windows and make the 32-bit layer optional, following Apple's MacOS X steps. Windows oddly enough is the only OS that has ever managed to make 32-bit and 64-bit stuff play nice together.

That's not odd, that's by design to support older legacy apps.

Unlike Apple that takes the approach at leap-frogging development, Microsoft's approach is a slow wave of new features while deprecating legacy code incrementally; hence the bloat.

To put it another way, Microsoft knows their own market and user base. Their decision making in that regard isn't incompetence; save for their UI designs. 

On 5/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, Bratstech said:

I have been writing a lot about Microsoft today

Summary

Microsoft has teased a new version of Windows! Not just some update to windows but a "Next generation" of the Operating system. Rumors have suggested Microsoft may even allow third-party commerce platforms in apps, so developers could avoid Microsoft’s own 15 percent cut on apps and 12 percent cut on games. I guess they might be taking a shot at Apple about the legal battle that is going on about the app fairness. None of the new features of the "Next generation" windows have been officially announced but should get a full unveiling soon. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Cool I am excited to see what it will look like and how it will integrate with past apps but I think that most apps should work just fine.

Sources

Microsoft teases a ‘next generation of Windows’ announcement ‘very soon’ - The Verge

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/05/25/microsoft-ceo-confirms-next-generation-of-windows-10-with-big-changes/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/satya-nadella-teases-the-next-generation-of-windows-is-coming-soon/ar-AAKn5j2?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Honestly, I would like another version of Windows, but I have my a ton of doubts on if there will be another version.

1) Microsoft has said in the past that there would not be another version of windows.

2) Microsoft wants to focus on getting all systems, Xbox, Windows, all on the same OS so its much simpler.

Do I think there will be another version (Windows 11)? 

Eventually I think Microsoft will (despite what they say now), I don't think we will have Windows 10 20 years down the line, it's just unlikely. When though, probably not for a long time.

Who knows, Microsoft could go back on their words and announce another version, but in that case, we wouldn't get the OS until 2022 at the least.
Windows 10 would have passed its mainstream support end in 2020 and the next OS would have came out a while ago. (2017-2020) if it followed the 2-5 year gap Microsoft usually has)

38 minutes ago, Duo01 said:

Honestly, I would like another version of Windows, but I have my a ton of doubts on if there will be another version.

1) Microsoft has said in the past that there would not be another version of windows.

2) Microsoft wants to focus on getting all systems, Xbox, Windows, all on the same OS so its much simpler.

Do I think there will be another version (Windows 11)? 

Eventually I think Microsoft will (despite what they say now), I don't think we will have Windows 10 20 years down the line, it's just unlikely. When though, probably not for a long time.

Who knows, Microsoft could go back on their words and announce another version, but in that case, we wouldn't get the OS until 2022 at the least.
Windows 10 would have passed its mainstream support end in 2020 and the next OS would have came out a while ago. (2017-2020) if it followed the 2-5 year gap Microsoft usually has)

Not necessarily. They could just call it Windows 11, be a free upgrade, and be delivered via Windows Update. And basically, turn Windows versions the way it is for iOS, or for Apple computers, or Chrome. Basically, dropping the silly naming which started well, but then just got boring "Oh the October 2021 update... sounds fun... /s", and just go with Windows 11, 11.1, maybe 11.2 and then then v12, and so on.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the next 'big' change / version of the Windows OS be 'OS as a service'.

An effective always online service that requires an internet connection to run the core of the OS, making it impossible to pirate.

It will ofc be chock full of data gathering / telemetry, adds, unnecessary apps, and vastly reduced user control.

They may then build a standalone OS designed for offline business use with locked down features which make it unattractive to normal users, perhaps even to the point where it lacks the ability to run most consumer software (inc games).

This may seem overly pessimistic, but with what we have all seen in the PC industry over the last  5-10 years ..its not out of the realm of likely possibility.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

55 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see the next 'big' change / version of the Windows OS be 'OS as a service'.

An effective always online service that requires an internet connection to run the core of the OS, making it impossible to pirate.

It will ofc be chock full of data gathering / telemetry, adds, unnecessary apps, and vastly reduced user control.

They may then build a standalone OS designed for offline business use with locked down features which make it unattractive to normal users, perhaps even to the point where it lacks the ability to run most consumer software (inc games).

This may seem overly pessimistic, but with what we have all seen in the PC industry over the last  5-10 years ..its not out of the realm of likely possibility.

Microsoft has something called CloudPC, which is pretty much what you described. But this is more for special use cases (need a PC with lots of power, for example, to do something). But that is something that, currently (in soft launch), is, what I consider, proof of concept. Basically, avail specs are very weak, and not very affordable for what you get. So.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for "OS as a service", this is what Windows 10 is already. Microsoft is now using Windows to push its services.

Microsoft plans were that the revenue from the Store would cover the expenses for support (and I guess, eventually make the OS officially free). But Microsoft fell into a chicken and egg problem (they like to fall into those), and so the Store never picked up, and so Microsoft basically stop working on it.... until recently. Apparently, if rumors are true, Microsoft has been working in redoing the whole store system (probably be using the same architecture as the XBox One, if it were my guess). So, I guess, Microsoft will try again... if any of it is true.

4 hours ago, SolarNova said:

And integrated with o365 so you most pay monthly for it...

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

And integrated with o365 so you most pay monthly for it...

If Windows became a monthly sub Id go to Linux, PC gaming be damned. Id go back to console gaming. Windows is barely worth the $5 for the grey market key in my opinion. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Microsoft knows Windows is the ONLY practical option for most people and they shamelessly haven’t bothered to complete the Windows 10 UI for 6-7 years. They know they have all the business deals and that it’s very difficult for most to use another OS without serious interruption or investment. That’s not going to change any time soon so they have no reason to change; I have very low opinion of them because of it. [RIP Widows 7]

You might say this new version of Windows will fix that with the UI updates. But I remember how their Windows 10 UI update went. They cut so many corners it was like an beta release for several years.

There’s been so many times when I thought “wow that’s a super cool PC/Laptop” but decided not to purchase it because I’d have to deal with Windows 10. 

25 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Windows is the ONLY practical option for most people

Um no? For what most ppl do (use a browser all day long) any linux distro would be more than enough. The issue is ppl just lazy, they could avoid so much hassle and headache by ditching windows but that would require them to "move their butt"......

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Um no? For what most ppl do (use a browser all day long) any linux distro would be more than enough. The issue is ppl just lazy, they could avoid so much hassle and headache by ditching windows but that would require them to "move their butt"......

That’s almost as an ignorant point of view as Linus’s “iMacs gotta fit in dental offices with these tiny 24inch screens.”

Web apps are good for a pinch. But when you actually have to work you need the full features that only come with desktop apps.

The average person isn’t going to even know how to deal with driver issues and app installations on Linux. Even when things work, they don’t have full functionality on Linux because OEMs don’t bother.

47 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

That’s almost as an ignorant point of view as Linus’s “iMacs gotta fit in dental offices with these tiny 24inch screens.”

Ignorant? No. Experience? Yes!

But when you actually have to work you need the full features that only come with desktop apps.

Um grab the needed thing from the shop (yes most distros have one).

The average person isn’t going to even know how to deal with driver issues and app installations on Linux.

As i said before, unless you have something obscure drivers are already there, the installer already offers the option to pull them for you.
(Again, speaking from experience, the only time i had driver issues were either acient/freshly released HW.)

Even when things work, they don’t have full functionality on Linux because OEMs don’t bother.

Google system76..... :old-dry:

Edited by jagdtigger

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

People aren't lazy, they just resist change for one, and aren't willing to put up with the non-existent support in Open Source software. At least if you pay for product, there is some expectation of support and warranty. Free software and Open Source software, the refrain is "if you don't like it, fix it yourself"

There is no point bringing up the argument "just use Linux", when there isn't a single tinker-free version of Linux. OS X is tinker-free because the OS and Hardware work out of the box. That's why OS X is preferred over Windows. People only stick to Windows because OS X isn't available for commodity Wintel hardware, and to hack OSX to support non-mac hardware is as much of a pain in the behind as Linux is always.

I can pretty much assure you that if Apple released an entire version of OSX that worked out of the box on any Windows device, people would drop Windows like a hot potato as long as they can still run Photoshop and Word on it. The reality is that is not Apple's business model, and Apple has not sold a computer since the PPC that Windows users would actually want to use if they could not justify a Mac Pro, as everything that isn't a Mac Pro is not upgradable or underpowered relative to what they can get on a desktop WinTel machine.  

If all anyone wanted to do is use the web browser, then the most appropriate device is an iPad.

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

At least if you pay for product, there is some expectation of support and warranty.

You say this like as if you dont have to go to the MS forums if you have issues, just like how it works for most linux distro. Its funny how everyone forgets about this tid-bit.... :old-eyeroll:

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

"if you don't like it, fix it yourself"

Maybe some small distro but generally whenever i had an issue it was anything but what you wrote.

If you dont like it ok, but dont run around spreading false information. And im done with this, enough off topic.

22 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You say this like as if you dont have to go to the MS forums if you have issues, just like how it works for most linux distro. Its funny how everyone forgets about this tid-bit.... :old-eyeroll:

I say this, because it's absolutely true.

image.png.8796faa3c88ac5875ad2a0a257ca5ab3.png

"Fix it yourself" is endemic to open source software. I was not expecting someone to spontaneously fix OpenOffice/LibreOffice to support video embeds, but here it is, 8 years later, still not supporting video embeds, and no desire to fix it. Guess I should just pay for MS Powerpoint, which support this feature TODAY and doesn't require installing third party software that will impact/impair the entire OS to do it.

That's the difference.

Maybe some small distro but generally whenever i had an issue it was anything but what you wrote.

I'm sure Cpanel customers just love what happened to CentOS.

If you dont like it ok, but dont run around spreading false information. And im done with this, enough off topic.

I don't spread false information. There are people here and elsewhere that advocate for Linux under a pretense that Linux is "better" at something, and then pretty much fail to sell the argument that it's better for anyone, just full of tinker-hell for people who like to touch buttons.

2 minutes ago, Papercut Captain said:

Well, you can't really fix anything with proprietary software, even though it may be broken... Kind of an unfair comparison.

This was just an example. I was told the same in the past just asking for help when I was new to Linux based OS. At the time, the community of Ubuntu was the only one that were welcoming, others were unhelpful, your thread was ignored, or (if you dare to mention "Ubuntu") were hostile. Distro war was a thing and still a thing. Very sad.... another problem.

Issues/suggestions are nearly always seen as a critic by many community members, and their argument ends with "Well, it's open source... So, fix it yourself!". That is like if I go and say, "Oh you don't like the GUI of Windows? You dare comment on this pinacle of perfection! Well guess what, you can replace explorer.exe... So, go ahead! Windows has APIs and you have multiple programming languages, pick one, and get started!".  This attitude is just ridicules.

34 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I say this, because it's absolutely true.

image.png.8796faa3c88ac5875ad2a0a257ca5ab3.png

"Fix it yourself" is endemic to open source software. I was not expecting someone to spontaneously fix OpenOffice/LibreOffice to support video embeds, but here it is, 8 years later, still not supporting video embeds, and no desire to fix it. Guess I should just pay for MS Powerpoint, which support this feature TODAY and doesn't require installing third party software that will impact/impair the entire OS to do it.

Guess what? You are barking at a already fixed issue.........
(My LO install is as is it came with the OS, embeds video without a hitch.)

/EDIT
As for MSO it is not a fair comparison because win10 has mediaplayer by default. Linux on the other hand dont, so they have to choose one to use and mark it as a dependency.

33 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft send out an invite to the press:

image001.png.2754994fed769238e4d0b5ecdc8fd77b.png

There are now horizontal mullions in the window shadow… Windows 11 incoming lol.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4