A new version of windows is coming!!!

Bratstech

I have been writing a lot about Microsoft today

Summary

Microsoft has teased a new version of Windows! Not just some update to windows but a "Next generation" of the Operating system. Rumors have suggested Microsoft may even allow third-party commerce platforms in apps, so developers could avoid Microsoft’s own 15 percent cut on apps and 12 percent cut on games. I guess they might be taking a shot at Apple about the legal battle that is going on about the app fairness. None of the new features of the "Next generation" windows have been officially announced but should get a full unveiling soon. 

Quotes

"Nadella’s specific mention of a “next generation of Windows” is interesting, too. Microsoft typically refers to everything as “Windows 10,” and this language could suggest the company is preparing a more significant shift with Windows branding than just the user interface alone." - The Verge

My thoughts

Cool I am excited to see what it will look like and how it will integrate with past apps but I think that most apps should work just fine.

Sources

Microsoft teases a ‘next generation of Windows’ announcement ‘very soon’ - The Verge

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/05/25/microsoft-ceo-confirms-next-generation-of-windows-10-with-big-changes/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/satya-nadella-teases-the-next-generation-of-windows-is-coming-soon/ar-AAKn5j2?ocid=BingNewsSearch

another dead project that doesn't know it's already dead

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

another dead project that doesn't know it's already dead

I don't know about that it sounds like they are basically rebuilding the entire operating system. Maybe it'll look cleaner and even run better idk but I doubt that Microsoft would tease it like this if they knew that people would hate it. 

Well, we did see how the previous fustercluck of a scratch built MS OS went.  Fista, wasn't it?

https://i.redd.it/vhj10v7d1x431.jpg

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

16 minutes ago, avg123 said:

if it doesnt allow installing apps from outside app stores it will be DOA

So, Windows 10 in S mode?

Maybe rebranding it as just 'Windows' or something along those lines. Waiting for that refined UI and UX unification too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Last time I checked, we're deep into May and April 1st is far behind us. 3rd party apps and platforms? I don't know if Microsoft got the memo, but Windows already has this. Always has. What else are Steam, Origin, UPlay and GOG ?

How about focusing on making Microsoft Store less of a junk/joke? I can't wait the day when Microsoft Store will auto update all my apps like 7-zip, MusicBee, Paint.NET, CPU-Z, HWINFO etc and do it officially. Not with current bizarre system of some randoms releasing such common software under same name. Some at least say it's unofficial repository, others just blatantly rip it off and sell it. And it's all just up there.

Considering nothing is actually announced yet and all we have in Nadella being "excited" about the coming news... I'll take this with a pinch of skepticism and wait for June.

Unless this is reference to Linux GUI on Windows

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-makes-support-for-linux-gui-apps-on-windows-10-generally-available/

Or them partnering up with Qualcomm for Windows on ARM

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/25/22452710/microsoft-qualcomm-windows-on-arm-dev-kit-pc-features-release-date

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

that'll never happen. Windows's only strength at this point is compatibility. anything microsoft wants to make that doesn't run older programs is never gonna work out. 

yep, its the exact reason Vista did so badly. Vista would have been praised if not for all the compatibility issues.

5 minutes ago, poochyena said:

yep, its the exact reason Vista did so badly. Vista would have been praised if not for all the compatibility issues.

that was just because people tried to run it on systems that just weren't capable. 

like, Apple fixes this by just unsupporting machines at a certain point. for example, my 2011 15" MBP has been unsupported for a while but i don't care that i can't run the latest OS. i get stutters every so often on a relatively old OS, i can't imagine what it would be like on the latest OS. would be hell with it's horrific by todays standards HD3000 gpu. 

if Microsoft had just said listen you need a core duo at least for Vista, everything would have been fine. when i was a kid we had a HP prebuilt machine that was beefy for the time (3.something ghz core 2 duo iirc, 4gb of ram and an upgraded Radeon GPU) and that ran vista like a dream. 

She/Her

I REALLY hope someone figures out how to revert back to the old style for icons in 21H2. I hate the look of the new ones.

Anyway, as for this new OS.

Microsoft development plan:

1. Let's make a new OS! We have to cut out Win32 compatibility but it'll be fine for lightweight laptops.

2. This is harder than we thought...

3. This is going to go over horribly with the public. This gets the ax.

elephants

2 hours ago, Bratstech said:

I have been writing a lot about Microsoft today

Summary

Microsoft has teased a new version of Windows! Not just some update to windows but a "Next generation" of the Operating system. Rumors have suggested Microsoft may even allow third-party commerce platforms in apps, so developers could avoid Microsoft’s own 15 percent cut on apps and 12 percent cut on games. I guess they might be taking a shot at Apple about the legal battle that is going on about the app fairness. None of the new features of the "Next generation" windows have been officially announced but should get a full unveiling soon. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Cool I am excited to see what it will look like and how it will integrate with past apps but I think that most apps should work just fine.

Sources

Microsoft teases a ‘next generation of Windows’ announcement ‘very soon’ - The Verge

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/05/25/microsoft-ceo-confirms-next-generation-of-windows-10-with-big-changes/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/satya-nadella-teases-the-next-generation-of-windows-is-coming-soon/ar-AAKn5j2?ocid=BingNewsSearch

cool, any info on when they will shelve it? 

Clearly microsoft is taking inspiration from valve on it's software release cycle.

12 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I REALLY hope someone figures out how to revert back to the old style for icons in 21H2. I hate the look of the new ones.

I'm sure it'll happen but you'd have updates reverting them back lol!

3 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Didn't M$ say that Windows 10 was "the last Windows" or some shit like that?

They did, hence why I'm thinking this has something to do with Sun Valley. Otherwise its completely confusing if they're also releasing a new OS.

a completely "new" OS would be cool, that is not a part of the windows structure/UI.

Doubt that we would see such a thing, but as for the support for windows 10... are they just going to push weird changes until they have completely changed it, and same with future versions as well? What about picking different OS designs of windows for your choice, making windows 10 more linux like or modular that android might want to be like?

2 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Didn't M$ say that Windows 10 was "the last Windows" or some shit like that?

Maybe its not called Windows lol

5 hours ago, Bratstech said:

I don't know about that it sounds like they are basically rebuilding the entire operating system. Maybe it'll look cleaner and even run better idk but I doubt that Microsoft would tease it like this if they knew that people would hate it. 

Windows suffers from the odd-numbered Star Trek films are cursed, only it's even numbers. 

Windows 3.0 bad (1990), Windows 3.1 good (1992)

Windows 95, bad (1995), 95OSR2 good (1996)

Windows 98 bad (1998), 98SE good (1999)

Windows ME bad (2000)

Windows NT3.5 bad(1994), Windows NT4 good (1996)

Windows 2K bad (1999), Windows XP good (2001)

Windows Vista bad (2006), Windows 7 good (2009)

Windows 8 bad (2012), Windows 10 good (2015)

So no matter what the "next" version is, it will be cursed and hated just for Microsoft trying to force yet another pointless upgrade. Like realistically, "Service packs" were how things worked on NT4, and were the correct way of dealing with making the OS stable. For some reason Microsoft abandoned this, despite Windows NT4, 2K, XP, Vista and 7 fundamentally being the same OS. Windows 10 returned to something resembling the NT4 service packs, except when Windows 10 upgrades, it effectively reinstalls the OS and takes about as long as reinstalling the OS. 

I'm sure bean counters want to sell new licenses every year, but in all honesty, we've been losing more legacy functionally in Windows for no reason at all. The only reason 8/8.1/10 are "a new OS" is that the UI supports touch functionality, even though it was mostly dialed back. Unfortunately there's a lot of broken functionality in Windows 10 (eg Midi support is completely broken, DirectX versions before 10 are completely broken, and sometimes you'll run into a game that inexplicably doesn't work. DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, DirectPlay, etc are all depreciated and are all API's that were in use in DirectX versions before 9. The DirectPlay API depreciation is especially awful since it was depreciated for functionality that Microsoft controls (Games for Windows Live/Xbox Live) and can't be replaced.

At least when OSX breaks functionality, most of the time the loss of that functionality is consistent, where as on Windows, that loss of functionality just "breaks" and remains broken until a third party writes an API emulator for it, owing to how much functionality has been put into the WINE project. There will come a point where a Linux OS running WINE will have more compatibility with Legacy Windows software than Windows will.

3 hours ago, decolon said:

Maybe its not called Windows lol

This would be actually good when they leave the stupid "windows in windows in windows in windows in windows in windows" UI approach behind, it barely works, is impractical as hell and cumbersome to use.

People only "like" it because they dont know anything (much) else.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

People only "like" it because they dont know anything (much) else.

like it if they just leave all that alone, or just do browsing and games.

Hopefully at some point, port issues will be fixed, from managing audio ports that sometimes is a mess or other ports.