Is RTX a COMPLETE Waste of Money??

ivycomb

With real-time raytracing availability almost being around for 3 years, people starting to actually ask if they should "future proof" for RTX. But can you tell if RTX is even on?

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

Well it would be a super relevant question if you could buy one

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

That thumbnail makes zero sense - Linus's face is a bitmap from a digital camera, not a CG image being rendered by a GPU - so the use of ray tracing is irrelevant - unless Linus's face is being treated as a texture in a game, which would be very strange. But in any case ray tracing doesn't change facial expressions.

Yes, I know what it's meant to illustrate, but still, it's inaccurate, and what are web forums for if not gratuitous overanalysis?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I never play any games with RTX, as the performance penalty is too great and rasterization is fine in my eyes. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

That thumbnail makes zero sense - Linus's face is a bitmap from a digital camera, not a CG image being rendered by a GPU - so the use of ray tracing makes no sense - unless Linus's face is being treated as a texture in a game, which would be very strange. But in any case ray tracing doesn't change facial expressions.

We just turned ray tracing off in real life to take the right half of the photo 😃

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

5 minutes ago, JBee said:

We just turned ray tracing off in real life to take the right half of the photo 😃

Well, if by "turn ray tracing off in real life" you mean make the lighting so wrong that there are barely any rays to trace in the first place, then..........

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

My brain read: "Is LTX a COMPLETE Waste of Money??"

And I don't know why

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

RTX will only be a must have when it is filtered down to the lowest level cards or IGP/APU level graphics.  By then we'll be on some other new candy for the high end GPU's. 

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

dfghfghhdfh.jpg

I refer you to something I previously posted:

25 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

what are web forums for if not gratuitous overanalysis?

pythonmegapixel

10 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

RTX will only be a must have when it is filtered down to the lowest level cards or IGP/APU level graphics.  By then we'll be on some other new candy for the high end GPU's. 

Yep, GTX 580 gang

Nice title swap from:

"Is RTX a COMPLETE Waste of Money"

to:

"DON'T Waste Your Money on RTX!!"

LTT has finally seen the light (😏), or at least till analytics states otherwise.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

My brain read: "Is LTX a COMPLETE Waste of Money??"

Thanks now I can't unsee that 🤣

Main problem is that RTX or ray tracing is not an universal thing. If games used ALL the RTX features without exception, it would be easy to spot. Ray traced reflections, shadows and global illumination are dead giveaway. Another issue is selective application of ray tracing. As much as everyone is selling it as "it just does everything on its own", most of current implementations today are super selective and they seem to blend them with rasterized features, meaning if you don't know what features game uses, you can't even compare them properly, because you'll be looking at typical ray traced surface, thinking it should be ray traced but really isn't because developer decided not to ray trace it.

The part that bugs me is Nvidia pushing 2060s and 3060s as ray-tracing devices when they really aren't capable of it.   Until mid-range graphics cards can give a compelling ray-tracing performance its going to struggle to be more then a marketing blurb.

2 hours ago, JBee said:

With real-time raytracing availability almost being around for 3 years, people starting to actually ask if they should "future proof" for RTX. But can you tell if RTX is even on?

well, in my humble opinion, yes. I honestly do not really care for looks *too too* much I just need those sweet frames. I will take a 6900xt over a 3090 any day. 😎

My biggest concern with RTX is the affect it will have on Developers, especially those under heavy pressure from publishers.

RTX gives devs an excuse to get lazy with rasterization optimization and just lean on RTX. This will result in visually good looking games, since its RTX ..but at a significant performance cost vs what could be achieved with traditional rasterization.

With unoptimized games already being a relatively big problem in the game space due corner cutting and more so porting from consoles, and powerful hardware now being available to just 'power through' poorly optimized games, RTX will give yet another avenue for devs to 'drop the ball' in terms of performance and optimization.

I mean.. realistically in the last decade, have we really seen THAT much of an improvement in the average games visual fidelity ? . I'd argue no. BUT have we seen the required GPU power for these games increase... i'd argue yes most certainly. Why ? , imo its down to lack of optimization and leaning on powerful hardware to make up for it, and RTX has the opportunity to make this worse.

Add ontop of that, that both AMD and Nvidia are (imo 'obviously') sneakily increasing GPU MSRP for minimal 'relative' gains* ..its a real shitty time for PC gaming.

*I pointed this out with the 20 series at launch AND 30 series at launch, multiple times. Finally a big youtuber has pointed it out. See GamersNexus.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

hell solar. i seen a regression on physic in games.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Screw RTX Nvidia think we are suckers.

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

59 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

RTX gives devs an excuse to get lazy with rasterization optimization and just lean on RTX.

Already happened in Control. Remedy heavily lean on RTX for their reflections its not even funny, the reflection on any shiny surfaces looks horrible with RTX off and the worst part is the fact that player basically got to see the difference the 1st second the gameplay starts as there's a lot of shiny ceramic floors and marble walls in Oldest House lobby. The performance tanks is horrible too, atleast with cards that need to use DXR Fallback Layer as i dont have an RTX cards at hand (or maybe till next 2-3 years)

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

RTX might be the future but I dont care about it right now and I dont know that I ever will. Right now RTX just seems like a AAA game check box that Nvidia is pushing them to get.

I think most games look amazing today, AAA and Indy games. I dont think I have ever or will ever buy a game just because it looks good, game play is far more important.

I think the number of people that have bought a game because it has RTX is infinitesimally small and most of them are reviewers and dont think it will meaningfully increase in the next few years.

I think if Nvidia offered a 3080 with out RTX for $50 or $100 less even without the GPU shortage and mining craze atm it would be more popular then the RTX version.

So, the bottom line is pretty much: ray tracing adds maybe 5-10% to the game visuals (to the extend the normal person cannot even always see it) at the expense of 70% performance drop and 200% cost increase. Worst. Deal. Ever.

RTX is a nice feature, but not a main selling point or worth paying extra for in my opinion. And you can't even play an RTX game on a RTX 3080 without a performance drop unless you use DLSS, that doesn't seem like a good deal to me because that tradeoff isn't usually worth the decrease in image quality.

12 minutes ago, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

So, the bottom line is pretty much: ray tracing adds maybe 5-10% to the game visuals (to the extend the normal person cannot even always see it) at the expense of 70% performance drop and 200% cost increase. Worst. Deal. Ever.

Depends on the GPU you have, else it might be 20-70% difference, also in what way the also implement this too.

The worst part, there can be errors or more costly problems that will take a lot of performance or all of it, depending on how they tackle or treat it.

Although there can be systems later on, that detects and removes such issues. Like reflecting "endlessly" or more than they should, think wolfenstein had some tools and did some mangement of what needed to be raytraced or caused issues with raytracing. Some items could also be more costly to raytrace and look decent or as decent compared to other methods and wouldn't need to be raytraced. When on mix methods, but not sure how well that can be and all that.

Also what features they will be able to get with raytracing, like options and select what you want to raytrace?

Like certain games, and if this is good in CyberPunk?