I'm Calling Your Bluff!

Photoshop has been around for so long that it’s synonymous with photo editing - So much so that Corridor Digital thinks they can do it with ANY version. Let's put that to the test...

Check out Corridor Digital's video: https://youtu.be/8LkUzVexLTU

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Disappointed this isn’t more beef, that woulda been funny.

that gradient loading time tho 

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

I actaully wonder if Brian will get ever be a full time staff at LMG 🙂

When Linus works with Brian in Videos, he always seems so insecure xD

@20:00 Probably could have used a 100 mbps 5 port switch or a 5 port hub to "convert" the 10mbps half duplex to 100 mbps full duplex  ... talk about complicating things with a second pc.

Was the theme of the new LTT channel public knowledge before, or did that news actually just drop in Corridor's video? 🤯

And I hope you can find somewhere to use that logo 😅

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, Ross Siggers said:

Was the theme of the new LTT channel public knowledge before, or did that news actually just drop in Corridor's video? 🤯

And I hope you can find somewhere to use that logo 😅

Saw that too, cat's out the bag meow. 

It would be a good fit to try and bring in some apple lovers and show them the way. 

Untitled.png

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

My very first computer way back in the day was a Macintosh LC475, so watching this felt quite nostalgic.

I remember watching videos on that machine that actually played smoothly (by that I mean "as intended", since they were probably all encoded frame-rates under 15 fps), but resolution was much lower than 320x240; that would have been A LOT of pixels back in the day.

It was also an entry-level model (actually the bottom of the barrel at the time), so color depth was super limited and playing games on it was rough, especially after the Power Macintosh came out.

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

Photoshop

Where is the "+1 vomit" icon when you need it?

(but seriously, nicely done)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Heliian said:

What in the holy hell have you done. 

The thumbnail gave me the inspiration to do that.

4 hours ago, Heliian said:

Where's his hair! 

I can make him bald if you want.

33 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Where is the "+1 vomit" icon when you need it?

(but seriously, nicely done)

I can do better,I half-assed it.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I'm having flashbacks of the Quadra 650 I found in a garbage bin, after using it for a while I came to the conclusion that maybe it should have stayed there. It really did take seconds to open a JPEG.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

10 hours ago, Vishera said:

The thumbnail gave me the inspiration to do that.

I can make him bald if you want.

I can do better,I half-assed it.

No, no that's fine, thanks, no need to do better...

(please do better, I need more nightmares)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I've used these old Macs since way back when they were still relevant. Good times!

I still have a Quadra 605, and now I want to recreate this setup... Are the exact image and QuickTime files used in the video available somewhere?

Random MacGeezer thoughts that crossed my mind watching this video:

That 475 seemed slow for an '040. Maybe that's due to its lack of an FPU, but was its cache enabled (in the Cache Switch control panel)? I forget if it's enabled or disabled by default after a PRAM zap / battery swap, but if it was disabled the processor was running at about 1/3 as fast as it's capable of. (The switch was there to slow the Mac down for backward compatibility.) The original Marathon was designed to run on the Mac II and original LC, which had FPU-less 68020s running at 16 mhz, so it should've run better than that. (Leaving the cache off to make the machine even slower makes for a better story, though!)

How much memory was allocated to Photoshop? (Classic Mac OS didn't allocate memory dynamically, so you had to manually tell it how much memory to set aside per application.) Maybe it could have loaded some of those bigger pictures if it had a bigger chunk of RAM.

Was 32-bit addressing enabled in the Memory control panel? It could be disabled for backward compatibility, but without it the OS would eat all the RAM over 8 megs. That can get a little tight with System 7.5.5 and anything heavy like iCab and Photoshop.

Is that Mac II completely stone dead? Those generally don't suffer the same leaking SMD capacitor issues as the later machines (including the 475), but the power supplies have those RIFA film filtering caps that go bad in everything. Apple also used the PRAM batteries as part of the soft power circuit, so both batteries have to be present and working for the Mac II to boot. If anything, maybe the next Hackintosh project can take up residence in its chassis.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I'm surprise that computer could even connect to the modern internet.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I'm surprise that computer could even connect to the modern internet.

Unless I misunderstood the video, I believe they connected it to a router, and connected a modern computer to the router, but didn't connect the Macintosh to the internet, instead just transferring the files between the two computers.

elephants

They were using a modern computer as a middleman, but it was simply offering a network connection the Mac's NIC could understand. (It won't autonegotiate link speed with modern routers. From its perspective, it runs at the only standard, so there's nothing to negotiate!) It was offering the 10 megabit, half duplex Ethernet connection it needed, but just bridged it to the wider network through Internet Connection Sharing. They could have also done this with a managed network switch, but since they were going to send the whole rig to someone else, the PC gave them an all-in-one solution for the network connection and transferring files.

I've tried going online with old 68k Macs before, and that's about the best they can do without further assistance. It should load plain HTML pages that aren't encrypted behind SSL, like Macintosh Garden, but it's going to trip over CSS and JavaScript.

There are other options for getting retro PCs on the modern web.

One is to only go to sites specifically designed for retro computers like Hackaday's retro page, but that's a tiny (though growing) niche.

Another would be to run a proxy server that could handle all the modern encryption while passing the page contents through in the clear, but that leaves the Mac to deal with modern pages laden with CSS and JavaScript.

The most convincing solution I've found so far is Web Rendering Proxy, which uses the WebKit rendering engine behind the scenes to basically take a screenshot of a whole page, do an old school imagemap to make all the links work, and then pass the results on to the retro computer. That gives just about any old HTML 4.0 compliant browser the appearance of working on the modern web.

It looks like their middleman PC was also running an FTP server. That's the easiest way to network transfer files between modern and vintage computers that I know of; pretty much anything with a TCP/IP stack can do FTP. In fact any protocol that was around back then, like Telnet and IRC, is still within the 475's reach. For example you could use it to participate on the Discord if you set up an IRC-to-Discord bridge.

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Unless I misunderstood the video, I believe they connected it to a router, and connected a modern computer to the router, but didn't connect the Macintosh to the internet, instead just transferring the files between the two computers.

No, they had it running on the internet but because 90+% of the internet is https by default now it couldn't load most pages.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Isn't the title a bit misleading??? I didn't see the Corridor Crew at all use the workstation or am I missing something?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

17 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Isn't the title a bit misleading??? I didn't see the Corridor Crew at all use the workstation or am I missing something?

They show their side of the collaboration in a video on their channel:

26 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

They show their side of the collaboration in a video on their channel:

Thanks...I also should have seen in in the original post but wasn't thinking at the time to come here after watching the video on YT. 

smh

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

That 475 seemed slow for an '040. Maybe that's due to its lack of an FPU, but was its cache enabled (in the Cache Switch control panel)? I forget if it's enabled or disabled by default after a PRAM zap / battery swap, but if it was disabled the processor was running at about 1/3 as fast as it's capable of. (The switch was there to slow the Mac down for backward compatibility.) The original Marathon was designed to run on the Mac II and original LC, which had FPU-less 68020s running at 16 mhz, so it should've run better than that. (Leaving the cache off to make the machine even slower makes for a better story, though!)

The 475 came with a 68LC040 and not a regular 68040, so it doesn't have an FPU to enable. That's part of what differentiated it from the higher-end stuff.