Linus! I can make your relay board work! (The Garage Door)

Sarah_Six

Ok so Electro boom is right about the long wires being an issues.  But hes wrong about the solution.  You don't want a filter, you just need a either a transistor or a mosfet depending on the signal the board is using.  I'm going to assum you have an extra board for the controller as you had it out while the system was on the wall?  So DM me for the address and send it to me.  I'll rig up a micro circuit that the relay can trigger and send it back free of charge.  Its SUCH and each fix! I can even build it with a jack in the housing if you have a spare housing you can send.  That way the relay just plugs into it.

Oh as evidence of my bonofides I give you my gaming/engineering deck at home......  See attached

20210410_142638.jpg

To be clear I would been the control board for the garage door with the button, you know where you added the wires.  I wouldn't need the relay board.  

He more than likely wont see this here. Twitter might be your best bet. I've never tried to contact him though, so I don't know. Also adding the tag so he has a higher chance. 

Would be cool to see a community member fix it that easily!

@LinusTech

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

If you want to increase the odds of Linus actually seeing this, it might help to tag him @LinusTech (which I guess I already did for you). You could also post a reply to the official thread for the video, which LMG staff are much more likely to monitor:

Edit: And as @IkeaGnome pointed out, Twitter would likely be a better way of getting in touch with Linus if this doesn't work

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Hey thanks! I'm actually moving soon so I'll explore all my options when we get into the new place and have a look at what openers are in there. It's possible they will have the older style again and I can just go back to simple relays without any kajiggering. 

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Hey thanks! I'm actually moving soon so I'll explore all my options when we get into the new place and have a look at what openers are in there. It's possible they will have the older style again and I can just go back to simple relays without any kajiggering. 

Moving? Have any plans to do some videos about the tech around the new house? That would be interesting. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Oh bugger well your gonna be busy!    And thanks for getting back to me.  Well if you ever need micro electronics work done let me know!  I get bored and I always need a new project >.>  I've been doing robotics all my life, Submersible, NASA, Aviation.  You name it.  So ya!  Have fun with the move!

New house? So that means we get new versions of all those home upgrade videos I binged on over lockdown!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

8 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

New house? So that means we get new versions of all those home upgrade videos I binged on over lockdown!

He's spending money on something, so he's gonna milk it as hard as if it was the last cow on the planet (or almond, or whatever people get milk from these days).

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

7 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Wow, moving after all that work you put into the place? I mean just putting the AC in the place was a lot of work, not to mention all the million other things you did. I could not imagine moving after putting so much work into the place. I do guess there's the possibility of yet again doing a whole bunch of home improvement videos again. So looking forward to those 🙂 (I always find those extra fun!)

Does Linus live in the ghetto? Who's going to break into his car then go to his house and break in with the garage door opener?

On 4/11/2021 at 12:35 PM, LinusTech said:

Sooo. That means moving vlogs, yeah?

Them moving vlogs are like crack.. Pretty addictive & ruins my family & life..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

15 hours ago, LinusTech said:

yep 🙂

And the return of Brian and his jingle too?

edit: he is such a helpful man!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz