Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
I'll make this quick:
  • I have an old i7 3770K build that is almost 8 years old now, my AMD 7970 struggles to render games on my new 144 Hz 2560 x 1440 screen (even on the lowest graphic settings).
  • It feels like it's not worth upgrading my GPU to a 2080 Ti because my CPU would probably bottle neck it (probably?).
  • So I designed a new build that costs £3000 (in Candian that's $TOOMUCH) with a Ryzen 9 and 2080 Ti.
  • Before I empty my bucket of cash into this build, I wonder whether I am being a fool and should just buy a 2080 Ti and stick it in my rig.
So my video idea is, how about you get together some old builds and stick in some modern GPU's in them and compare them with brand new builds and find out exactly what the FPS difference is.  If it was something like just losing 10-20 FPS per game, then spending £1000 for a new 2080 Ti vs spending £3000 on a new build would be a no brainer.

I guess everyone has this problem to decide whether to upgrade or buy a new build, but no one really knows the real world difference in performance.

Help us find out Linus!

Thanks, love your videos and I have been watching since the NCIX days.

Would love a video on how to best go about a solar powered gaming setup (one that does not compromise too much performance, remaining as competitive level experience)

I'm planning to go off grid/self sustaining in future and as an ex-pro gamer who really values performance, I'm wondering if I have to give up high end PC gaming. A main consideration of mine is that I want to play VR at high settings with non nausea-inducing fps while also being able to get the most out of a 120-144hz monitor for other modern games i might want to play.

Any considerations in how to save as much power as possible and not drain the charge of a battery system too hard would be great - it would be similar to the camping lan party video from a while back but not using unsustainable gas powered generators and similar to the 'pc more efficient than a console' but not sacrificing as much performance and not focusing on pure energy efficiency. Just a video of how one would theoretically have the greenest possible high end performance gaming experience. As a side note would be curious about including a DC-DC power supply and how much power it would save compared to converting from AC.

Here's a thread I made where I was recommended to post here about the idea, if you're interested in the idea or if LTT is reading and is interested in the video idea there is a bit more info and discussion about it all:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1187180-need-advice-for-eco-pcgaming-using-solar/

Thanks!

-

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

linus should review Fujitsu U939X laptop . it has lot of ports . even folding Ethernet port 

fujitsulifebooku939xfeatured.jpg

Not really worthy of a full video, but in yesterday's WAN show I noticed when Linus took off his headset he had airpods underneath. Would like it if he could give a short little explanation for why he's wearing two headsets at the same time during the next WAN show. 😀

Probably becasue he doesn't know about Voicemeeter :D

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Do a similar video to antivirus effects on systems, but with NTFS compression.

I would like to see another "Most Bizarre" series of videos, but this time focus on strange OEM and PreBuilt system heatsinks.  I just found one from a P4 era Sony desktop, that has heatpipes moving the CPU temp past the power supply to an exchanger, instead of putting the PSU on top the case and venting the CPU straight out the back..  this heat sink they used is literally larger than my hand.   

I've seen very few aftermarket solutions that are this size..

20200517_142135.jpg

How about performance tests on the different types of memory?
Single Rank vs. Dual vs. Quad

CAS 11 vs. CAS 16

What the types of dies mean

4-bit vs. 8-bit

Unbuffered vs. Unregistered ECC vs. Registered vs. Load-Reduced

DDR3-2133 vs. DDR4-2133

Single Channel vs. Dual vs. Quad

I'd really like to see LTT do a long-term video roundup of transparent UV reactive coolants and dyes, both premixed and concentrated.

Specifically transparent UV reactive. because

1. Pastel looks like ass.

2. Pastel wrecks your loop and should not be used for long term use.

3. It would be a waste of time in the video because again, pastel coolant looks like ass, just paint your res tube and get solid color tubing if that's the look you're going for.

Specifically, I would be looking for which coolant/dye maintains its UV reactivity the longest, as well as how good they look under UV LED's at the beginning of the test.

Recently, I purchased a "UV Reactive" Electric blue dye from Primochill and while it looks good for being blue, it is 100% not UV reactive at all, at least under my cablemods widebeam hybrid LED strips. Am disappointed because I've had somewhat good results in the past with Primochill dyes. As evidenced by the cover photo on my profile page.

Just thought it would be an interesting project for you guys.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

19 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'd really like to see LTT do a long-term video roundup of transparent UV reactive coolants and dyes, both premixed and concentrated.

Specifically transparent UV reactive. because

1. Pastel looks like ass.

2. Pastel wrecks your loop and should not be used for long term use.

3. It would be a waste of time in the video because again, pastel coolant looks like ass, just paint your res tube and get solid color tubing if that's the look you're going for.

Specifically, I would be looking for which coolant/dye maintains its UV reactivity the longest, as well as how good they look under UV LED's at the beginning of the test.

Recently, I purchased a "UV Reactive" Electric blue dye from Primochill and while it looks good for being blue, it is 100% not UV reactive at all, at least under my cablemods widebeam hybrid LED strips. Am disappointed because I've had somewhat good results in the past with Primochill dyes. As evidenced by the cover photo on my profile page.

Just thought it would be an interesting project for you guys.

are you sure your LED's are UV or are they just purple with a little bit of near UV?

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

are you sure your LED's are UV or are they just purple with a little bit of near UV?

Fairly certain. They make anything white fluoresce including my fingernails and other UV reactive dyes from the same manufacturer. Based on Amazon reviews, just that one dye has an issue. Apparently it works for some but not others.

34 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Fairly certain. They make anything white fluoresce including my fingernails and other UV reactive dyes from the same manufacturer. Based on Amazon reviews, just that one dye has an issue. Apparently it works for some but not others.

Bummer.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Bummer.

Yeah it is. I hate having to change out my coolant. Because for some reason every time I do, I find another rotary fitting that's leaking.

11 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Yeah it is. I hate having to change out my coolant. Because for some reason every time I do, I find another rotary fitting that's leaking.

Well that's a good thing, right? Better to find it than to not find it! I'm still suspicious of the UV LED's, almost all are just purple with near UV and maybe a tiny bit of UV. I've got a genuine UV LED flashlight for dye detection at work and while it does really make things glow it also puts out very little visible light especially with the filter on it, but even unfiltered it barely throws light for how much heat it's throwing out. Also it gives a WICKED headache if you use it too long or use it without glasses on.

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Well that's a good thing, right? Better to find it than to not find it! I'm still suspicious of the UV LED's, almost all are just purple with near UV and maybe a tiny bit of UV. I've got a genuine UV LED flashlight for dye detection at work and while it does really make things glow it also puts out very little visible light especially with the filter on it, but even unfiltered it barely throws light for how much heat it's throwing out. Also it gives a WICKED headache if you use it too long or use it without glasses on.

I have a UV curing lamp I bought a while back, it puts out loads of light, both visible and UV.

And the fittings don't leak, until I empty the loop. It's why I am slowly removing all rotary fittings from my build. They're just trash. Seriously they don't last more than a year? For how much money they cost,  that's just not worth it.

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I have a UV curing lamp I bought a while back, it puts out loads of light, both visible and UV.

And the fittings don't leak, until I empty the loop. It's why I am slowly removing all rotary fittings from my build. They're just trash. Seriously they don't last more than a year? For how much money they cost,  that's just not worth it.

Rotary fittings are junk... I had some i picked up for a build i was running late on, when the client changed what he wanted after I had the loop 90% done.  So I ended up driving to Microcenter to get some.. I purchased all they had that matched (as much as possible) to the custom machined 90's I have made, and I ended up with like 9 fittings total... Before I even finished the build 3 of the fittings pulled apart while I was still finishing up the system.. (They are only held together by the same O-ring the pivot on.)  All-In-All the system ended up with 4 rotary fittings total, and within a few months they started dripping onto the brand new 1000W PSU, and some other stuff...  
-
-What saved my ass, and my wallet from having to buy the customer a bunch of new parts due to water damage, was me using a custom coolant I make, that Never lets me down, and Looks GREAT under true UV LED lights. (340nm to be exact).. They make anything florescent, white, or UV Reactive, Light UP and Really puts the "Shine" on my systems...
I've ran this same coolant for years in some systems without changing it, so I know its safe.. Depending on how "intense" you make the color, it can stain the clear bent PETG Tubing..  
-Anyways... Here's my recipe.. Use it... Don't Use It... I don't care.. (But i don't want to hear anyone saying "You can't do that", Because I already did!!"

1- Your Favorite Highlighter Color (open it up and get the felt ink tank out. Discard the Tip, and Plastic Body.

2- Fill a Standard Water Bottle 90% up with Distilled H20 and insert the ink tank. Add lid and Shake it like crazy or a few mins.

3- Add that to your new loop. 

4- Add 4-6 ounces of 60% or Stronger isopropyl alcohol.

5-Add all to your loop and Top Off with Distilled..

6- ENJOY YOUR NEW BEAUTIFUL LOOP

Hey guys, love your content ♥️. Remember 6 editors 1 CPU video, I was really amazed by stuff you guys did. But yesterday I came across windows feature called Windows MultiPoint, It basically allows multiple users to use pc simultaneously without virtualization overhead, most importantly it allocates resources dynamically, from what I was able to achieve If single user was stressing the system hard enough and other were performing light task, it would allocate all free resources to the user processing heavy workload. According to my limited testing lack of virtualization overhead alone can give 5-10% performance improvement to say the least, and dynamic resource allocation will be beneficial in real world use as well. Oh and I forgot if all users are stressing the system resources are distributed near evenly, with cinebench result in variance 1-2%. I know right now that system is being used for folding at home, just wanted to give you guys this idea. Oh and I'm running r5 2600 with 16gigs of ram. Maybe these gains wont scale linearly, but you guys can verify it on your systems. Lastly there is a way to configure each user with his own separate partition/drive so that user cant access other users file. If I can help you in anything related to this I'll gladly help cuz historically this project seems to hit many crazy stops 😂. Again, love you guys ♥️.

Can you please look at the Huawei Freebuds 3?

Try making a computer under 200$ or maybe review Amazon's fire tablets like the fire tab 7 or 8