Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Video about top VPNs to consider and which ones to avoid.

With all the news regarding security breach, companies being bought out, etc., would be an important topic to discuss on the best VPNs to get as well as mention the ones to not trust. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

I'm a data architect for an open source project serving local government, and would love to see a build optimized for data science/machine learning.

6 hours ago, mcbaes72 said:

Video about top VPNs to consider and which ones to avoid.

With all the news regarding security breach, companies being bought out, etc., would be an important topic to discuss on the best VPNs to get as well as mention the ones to not trust. 

That would be difficult. With VPN sponsors being somewhat common with LTT, and other tech youtubers, a video about which ones to avoid and which ones to aim for would be a conflict of interest in that they would essentially be using a VPN like PIA, whilst having to tell everyone not to use PIA due to it being based in the USA and thus subject to the USA and global intelligence and surveillance alliances (5, 9, 14 eyes alliances) jurisdiction.

While PIA even has a section on their site explaining why it doesnt concern them and why it shouldn't concern its users, the fact remains they are still under the jurisdiction of the USA laws on surveillance, and if compelled by law to gather information i highly doubt they will pack up shop in the USA like they did in their Russia example.

Only those VPNs located in countries not part of those alliances are secure from that type of legal pressure, such as Express VPN.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Cooling 3+ computers with a single water loop. I don't mean the video from years back where it was a massive loop with splits.amf joins.

I mean pump>Rad>CPU>GPU>CPU>GPU>CPU>GPU>CPU>GPU And just keep going until a computer just can't handle it anymore.

Real life Frames per seconds test

Now you have proven the refreshrate and FPS benefit.

Can you make one where Linus plays badminton, or other stuff demanding hand/eye coordination.

and have a some glasses on that blackouts so essentially your eyes run 30,60,90 etc FPS.

The most ambitious possible (consumer, residential) water cooling project:

Build a new concrete house with an in floor heating system, (which is a giant network of little water tubes embedded in the concrete), except instead of just hooking a heater up to the water loop, you have PC water cooling connections where your servers, gaming rigs and HTPCs will be.

Team up with an ICF company like BuildBlock and it will be the greatest.

How about ...

Start with a pelotas-al-pared build, after deciding what the build's main purpose will be.  For example, a gaming build that uses at least a Quadro RTX 8000 (or we could settle for an RTX 2080 Ti or Titan RTX as long as it's the absolute highest possible resolution, fps & settings).

Then, build several progressively cheaper systems for the same use case, with the price including all of OS & software & games (no "shady" / cheap resellers allowed), peripherals, furniture, etc, along with the system itself.

The progression: each "next step's" ENTIRE setup has to be cheaper than the previous tier's "most important" part by itself.  For example, if system 2 for a gaming PC uses an RTX 2080 Ti, the ENTIRE system 3 combined has to be cheaper than the best deal ever possible (to date) on the 2080 Ti.

As you get to the later steps, I'd imagine you mostly going for used parts, Linux, and free games. :) Also at least one step has to be BELOW Scrapyard Wars season 1 level, and no building a tin can around an R9 290 this time. :P (Also if you use an APU in a build, calculate the GPU price for determining the next build's budget based on an identical-performing dGPU.)

Speaking of SYW, I'd like to see someone build an APU system, with the parts reveal being like season 1 - instead of "whaa-how did you get a 290?" it'd be more like "hey where's your video card?" ?

I've got other ideas, but other than a brief summary of one, I'll save them for a possible future post.

That one: build a "PCMR cringe" gaming (?) PC.  Case has to have NO cable management, sealed mobo tray, break-out PCI covers; PSU has to have the 115/230V switch, have <40% of total capacity on 12V, and not meet c6/c7; GPU must be single-slot passively cooled & retailed <$40 when new, or released 1991 or earlier; CPU cooler no bigger than Silverstone NT07-115x and can't use heat pipes nor copper; boot & games drive(s) no better than 5400rpm PATA HDD; peripherals no better than cheapies that usually come with office-oriented prebuilts, etc. ?

How about cooling a pc with a car radiator. 

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card
  • Case
    Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
  • Storage
    Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • PSU
    Corsair VS 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Gamerstorm Captain 240 PRO
  • Operating System
    WIndows 10 home

The one above reminded me of a couple others.

1 - Best passively cooled gaming PC in a 172 x 172 mm x 0.5 U case, gpu AND CPU cooler contained within the case.  Can use case itself as part of heatsink, but Linus's children must be able to comfortably hold it with their bare hands while running Furmark and Prime95 27+ Small FFT.

2 - passively cooled PC, but this time without the size restriction - in a really cold area like Vostok Station, Antarctica, or where temperatures may not exceed about -60°C or so, during their winter.

3 - same as 2, but somewhere hot like the southwest USA or north Africa / Middle East, or where temperatures might exceed 50°C daytime and may not drop below 38°C nighttime, in summer.

Video discussing games utilization of multiple threads, and maybe a showcase of games that are outstanding in this measure?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT with custom 3D printed AIO mount, X62 | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15

How about something resembling the $500 DYI watercooled PC challenge.

Except you get identical cases and computer parts. The challenge would be to make the best custom overall system cooling from scratch.
Performance, noise levels and aesthetics would be judged. You would be allowed to mod the case as needed.

Also, I would like to see a Beginners guide to case modding video.  Which tools are essential, how to sleeve your cables etc. etc.

Maybe where you take an old steel case and cut out drive bays and such to make it look cleaner on the inside, add a window to your side panel, sleeve some cables etc. something simple like that. (It may very well be that there is a video like this already out there, but being new to the linus scene I haven't really gotten the chance to watch all of the material, how about making a new and updated one then?)

The 60v144v240 FPS video with shroud and the others was also very interesting, very nice to get insight from pro players/streamers into what they use and how they feel about pc parts and peripherals. I wonder if there are more elements to e-sports that people believe ups their game but potentially really doesn't make that much of a difference (besides obviously shit-ton of RGB which we all know makes you dominate), and you should look into doing more videos starring big names from e-sports/streaming. I think that is a Win-Win for all parties.

Build a PC inside of fire.  I want you to what?  Yeah, cool a PC inside of flames.  Build a case out of a double paned glass pane tabletop heater.  

On 3/23/2019 at 6:35 PM, MrFixitBlankFace said:

How about if Linus and the staff would have a video on a building competition.   Who can build a rig fastest?   Using the parts of thier choice.

Yeah, I'll build a PC with a motherboard that has embedded cpu like this board : https://www.newegg.com/asrock-j3455m-micro-atx/p/N82E16813157729

One screw to lock motherboard in case, insert sticks of ram, 24 pin connector, sata cable and you're done.

You gotta have rules and shit otherwise one would just cheat. 

--

Here's a suggestion ... Now that a lot of x570 motherboards come with 2.5gbps ethernet chips, maybe you guys could review a 2.5 gbps ethernet switch.  It would also give you the opportunity to review 2.5gbps performance, cpu usage, compared to 1 gbps ethernet cards from realtek or Intel.

Maybe also compare it with cheap dual port or quad port 1gbps cards (do port trunking on the switch to get 2gbps or 4gbps if Windows 10 supports)

Here's a switch that seems interesting:  https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-2-5GBASE-T-Lifetime-Protection-TPE-30102WS/dp/B079Z3L6LN

TRENDnet TPE-30102WS 10-Port 2.5GBASE-T Web Smart PoE+ Switch, 8 x 2.5GBASE-T RJ-45 PoE+, 2 x 10G SFP+ Slots, 240W PoE Power Budget, Ethernet Managed Switch, 1U Rack Mountable, Lifetime Protection,

Maybe they'd be willing to sponsor you with one, or loan you one.

Also:  usb type c to  2.5g or 5g ethernet network adapter, TRENDnet USB-C 3.1 to 5GBASE-T Ethernet Adapter, TUC-ET5Ghttps://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TUC-ET5G-2-5GBASE-T-Integrated-Compatible/dp/B07TBPLR2V/

How much cpu usage at 2.5g or 5g? can they work well connected directly to 10g ethernet cards? USB 3 i imagine would eat some cpu at those speeds. Does it heat up during long transfers, is it stable, how's the latency?

A couple of these could be good tools for repair people that need to quickly clone a SSD or a drive in a system or laptop that can not be opened for various reasons. Just get one or two of these and a patch cable, and you transfer data at 5gbps... in theory.

Another suggestion ... now that you guys have that milling machine and all those tools...

Get a slab of aluminum and a nice motherboard that can have its heatsinks removed and machine a motherboard sized heatsink, INCLUDING OVER THE CPU

The idea would be to have a cpu like Ryzen 3000g completely passively cooled (or nearly passively) by spreading all the heat on the top aluminum heatsink.

Basically, like they make full covers out of plastic for motherboards, make it metal.

Bonus points if you make it so it screws on the backplate like a sandwitch to another metal plate.

Basically make holes big enough for inductors and capacitors to fit inside, make it so you'd just have some thermal pads between mosfets and the heatsink, a thermal pad between cpu and the heatsink...  make some fins on the other side of the aluminum slab for heat dissipation.

Alternatively... you can have a 140x140mm x 15mm fan or something similar screwed on top of the heatsink

Optionally if it's not doable... put a blower like fan on the bottom corner of the motherboard which would push air through the top slab of aluminum helping it cool.

Or, you could have two pieces of aluminum with channels engraved in each so when you stack them together you can have water flow through those channels

Take for example the Gigabbyte x570 Aorus Elite - yeah, not something you'd pair with a 3000g but it has clean design... and 10+ phases for a 50w power consumption would make the vrm cooling not an issue.

Everything outside the red rectangles could be heasink ... and you could go even further by changing the battery to a super capacitor or something smaller (and move it between the pci-e slots) so you machine the heatsink less :

Untitled.thumb.jpg.2f99b63fc408aee831589ca37bffe873.jpg

Could go with something like this and just drill holes where the parts are too tall on the motherboard or reduce the thickness of the base aluminum sheet :

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/wakefield-vette/122263/345-1472-ND/6131593

image.png.4cbe187e4a1117edfc1a0665d59b037c.png

image.png.cc8d1a70fcc274a804b23c3c11b7f506.png

8 hours ago, mariushm said:

Another suggestion ... now that you guys have that milling machine and all those tools...

Get a slab of aluminum and a nice motherboard that can have its heatsinks removed and machine a motherboard sized heatsink, INCLUDING OVER THE CPU

The idea would be to have a cpu like Ryzen 3000g completely passively cooled (or nearly passively) by spreading all the heat on the top aluminum heatsink.

Basically, like they make full covers out of plastic for motherboards, make it metal.

Bonus points if you make it so it screws on the backplate like a sandwitch to another metal plate.

Basically make holes big enough for inductors and capacitors to fit inside, make it so you'd just have some thermal pads between mosfets and the heatsink, a thermal pad between cpu and the heatsink...  make some fins on the other side of the aluminum slab for heat dissipation.

Alternatively... you can have a 140x140mm x 15mm fan or something similar screwed on top of the heatsink

Optionally if it's not doable... put a blower like fan on the bottom corner of the motherboard which would push air through the top slab of aluminum helping it cool.

Or, you could have two pieces of aluminum with channels engraved in each so when you stack them together you can have water flow through those channels

Take for example the Gigabbyte x570 Aorus Elite - yeah, not something you'd pair with a 3000g but it has clean design... and 10+ phases for a 50w power consumption would make the vrm cooling not an issue.

Everything outside the red rectangles could be heasink ... and you could go even further by changing the battery to a super capacitor or something smaller (and move it between the pci-e slots) so you machine the heatsink less :

Untitled.thumb.jpg.2f99b63fc408aee831589ca37bffe873.jpg

the problem with a massive slab cpu cooler is the stress on the motherboard socket. they are only rated for 50lb's and if you move the case with say a 20lb cooler the whiplash effect can literally tear the socket out. and if you are linus stress testing things by dropping them, the odds of tearout go up a lot. i have seen one case manage to solve this by having the entire case be the cooler and closing it up gives all the mounting pressure you need. the draw back is you have to PERFECTLY measure and machine the case to fit the socket and only motherboards that have that socket would work with it. it was very expensive and they never made another one. 

Do Scrapyard wars in the UK. Tech here is stupid expensive and I think it will shock how difficult it is to find good used PC hardware deals. Could also do a meet and greet or something like that for your British fans who can't make it to LTX at the same time.

I just discovered this meme gaming accessories https://www.pcgamingrace.com/ and one of the things that caught my eye was LTT on a media coverage banner. But I can't really find anything on youtubes or here on the forums. Only people talking about the model O mouse. Seems a bit sketch. Especially that twitch is also listed in their media banner. I didn't know where to post it, but if someone does know that any of the products were covered and could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. 

10 hours ago, MBR66 said:

I just discovered this meme gaming accessories https://www.pcgamingrace.com/ and one of the things that caught my eye was LTT on a media coverage banner. But I can't really find anything on youtubes or here on the forums. Only people talking about the model O mouse. Seems a bit sketch. Especially that twitch is also listed in their media banner. I didn't know where to post it, but if someone does know that any of the products were covered and could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. 

Merged to video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It’s been quite a while since we’ve had a video about Linus like the one about working for Linus or how Linus started the LTT or Linus reading mean comments. I enjoy watching those, please consider making part 2 or similar ones.

An in depth bios and overclocking video for for ryzen 7 on asus uefi bios