Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Please look at or review the Swytch, the world's smallest & lightest eBike kit 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/swytch-the-world-s-smallest-lightest-ebike-kit#/

Make a mirror with an embedded display and speakers for the bathroom so you can game while using the restroom. 

How about a video on Pre-Built vs Build your own - Same specs around £1000-£1200

I usually build my own but have been looking at pre-built as they are not as bad as they used to be and price is comparable, sometimes cheaper. 

When chromebooks first hit the scene they started out as extremely low budget hardware with an OS that could actually run well on that hardware. Whether or not they are really usable to most of us they have clearly found their place and google continues with the project.

The thing is there are plenty of similarly priced Windows laptops with similar hardware on the market with the only thing wrong with them being their choice of operating system. What I want to know is what can you get if you were to get one of these bugestest of the budget end Windows laptops and you throw a light weight Linux distro on it. How would the performance change in real world tasks you could be expected to do on such a machine compared to Windows 10? Would you be able to handle heavier tasks than you could run if it was running windows? 

(Honestly I already KINDA know the answer since I bought a cheapo $230 laptop to run linux on last year with an Intel Celeron N4000 CPU and 4GB of ram and it has performed exceptionally well. The only part I don't know is how much of that can be attributed to Linux since I ditched Windows 10 the very first second I got it. I just think it would make an interesting video)

LTT should do a video with Stewart Cheifet from The Computer Chronicles (80s/90s tech TV show)

In a way you could see all tech youtubers as what Stewart Cheifet did on TV throughout the 80s and 90s. In many ways he was the first consumer computer tech public communicator. It would be really interesting to have him featured in a video while he is still alive and in good health (He's 81 now). They could give a fun twist to it and start the video with The Computer Chronicles theme or something and then discuss computer technology throughout the past 40 years. Cheifet himself is still somewhat active in recent years, giving talks sometimes, some of which have ended up on Youtube. 

Edit: the channel where most of the old TV episodes can be found these days. https://www.youtube.com/user/ComputerChroniclesYT/videos

The iconic post 1990 theme for The Computer Chronicles is an edit of this track. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQzTEH2VfSc&list=LLrc1q4PxW-NaBx9Mas-4mEA&index=2&

ZENITH - JOHN MANCHESTER - OMNIMUSIC - OMN9-8

I posted this topic in the general discussions already, but someone mentioned this suggestions thread I didn't know about. 

Hey there,

I've been trying to do research and there's really not too much info out there on keyboard latency. 

I'm in a situation where I want to get rid of my gaming keyboard because of its noise and move back to a membrane or scissor-switch keyboard. The main reason for my switch from membrane to mechanical was for the better response time.

I did some research on what keyboards have the best latency, but there's no real conclusive answer or even a standard to test it.

The best that I've found is this blog https://danluu.com/keyboard-latency/ with the biggest gripe being that his tests start when his fingers begin the motion. The flaw here is that mechanical keyboards will have a longer travel distance before actuation compared to laptop keyboards (but it is still a valid metric to take into consideration imo). And it would be nice to know too how wireless keyboards compare to wired ones.

For some context, I used to use a Logitech K360, which Dan's blog shows has the highest latency, and moved to a Logitech G213. When I made the switch I felt that the input lag was a lot less, but I'm not wholly convinced that it wasn't a placebo effect.

I dunno if LTT staff read this topic, but i want to ask something i whould like to see probably splitted in 2 videos. I'm talking about how to game on linux with windows game.

I know something was showed, but it was just a look how it is, and not we guide you step by step.

I had a retail windows upgrade licence, i buyed some years ago and used with my old pc, than i sold that pc, and buyed a completly new one, so i've installed windows 10 and everything worked fine for months, than i had an issue with my motherboard, so i had to change and bang, my windows is no more active, so i called microsoft, and they told me that is not possible because blablablabla i don't want to discuss about it, because i've bough a retail upgrade version not an oem, but i was just tired of this s**** and since on my workstation i use linux daily and i love it because it's free from this bulls**** i've tryed to install on my gaming pc pop os and tryed with wine lutris and playonlinux, but i had a lot of problem so i giveup and i've buyed another windows licence.

What i whould like to see it's how to install the windows version of steam, uplay, gog galaxy and the epic store, and how to download and use the game, but not just a quick show, but a step to step guide, in a LTT way

How about Linus has a contest with his employees who aren't very tech savvy and who have never built a computer, and give them like three hours to find parts in the warehouse and build something competent. 

Or you could just provide them with the same parts and see who can do the best job within an hour or something. I think it would be quite funny.

I am a total Google fanboi, not gonna lie.

Would love to see a complete smart home with as many Google products as possible, google wifi, nest hub, nest hello doorbell, nest protect, nest cam both indoor and outdoor?. I don't know if google makes the nest x yale lock but it's listed on their website. Probably because it's compatible with google assistant I assume? I might be wrong.

Anyway, a full smart smart home with as many google products as possible (like I said earlier).

Would be awesome to see! ?

I think Quadro RTX benchmarks and a comparison to other cards ie Quadro GV100, Titan RTX, Radeon Pro WX Series, etc. would be a cool video, as I haven't been able to find many good videos on them. Yes I have already seen Gamers Nexus' video but it only covers the 5000.

This guy as a guest, doing blind keyboard tests, identifying switches, brands, maybe even models of keyboard and discussing the pros and cons of the keyboards under review in the video.

Just his voice reading out the letters on a keyboard would probably be interesting in some way with LTT's input.

Linus Tried to repair the $10,000 CPU using Gorilla Glue. He should in all seriousness put it in his Oven. Place the CPU facing up but make little standoffs

(I used the yellow Kapton Tape it works great).

Turn the temps up to 125C for minute, then 160C, 190C, 225C, Each for one minute then 260C for 2 minutes and the back down to 225C and you can do this quicker like 30 seconds, then 190C, 160C, 125C. If Linus was correct this may reflow the CPU for him

Hey! Now that 32gb DIMMs are available to the masses, how about an overclocking guide for 128gb of RAM in a consumer motherboard?

CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz RAM: 128GB Corsair @ 2666MHz Motherboard: Asus Z390 Prime P Graphics Card: EVGA 2060 OS Drive: 1TB NVME Other drives:860 Evo 1TB, Crucial BX500 500GB x 2, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

There's this interesting project called zigbee2mqtt. Basically, you can get a cheap Zigbee USB stick from eBay that you can use to connect all sorts of domotics peripherals to. Philips Hue, IKEA Trådfri, Xiaomi Aqara, lots of others. Basically, you can create your own open source base station for all this hardware, instead of having to rely on all the expensive proprietary base stations. 

The project could really benefit from a bit of exposure with a bit of high production value. And it's definitely the type of thing you could see LTT videos on. I think it'd be a perfect match. 

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/

Pine and Xiaomi are making affordable computer watches.

I would love to watch some videos about them.

I know one is in beta stage, but you can review the open source RTOSs it support and the other will be only in china versions, but you have staff that speaks mandarin, that will spoil what a future global version would be.

I could imagine this not being a hard one to put together but....

Server / Storage Update!

Did LTT ever go through with the tape archive plan?  For those who joined late, a brief history of the expansion of the various servers -- their names/fill%/purposes/stats/etc.

I'm curious what the team's rocking in that rack.

NAS/SAN Software Roundup.

When should you use what software for your particular environment?

(Add links to supporting guides and information, i don't expect a single or several videos to be all-informative on this topic)

ie: what should you use FreeNAS for? (what's it good at/for?), what's it NOT good at? (repeat for Unraid, ReadyNAS, etc....)

what general hardware would you use/need?

Additionally: (could make a short series about this if going somewhat in-depth) #TQ

when would you use basic file sharing? (share a folder on your HDD/machine)

when would you use a NAS? (general file sharing)

When would you use NFS? (Different than standard /directory fire sharing somehow, WinServer ability)

When would you use a SAN? and how do you implement one? (usually used for high bandwidth iSCSI traffic/Enterprise)

and now I've gone down a rabbit-hole... i think you get the main idea.

I'd like a video comparison of prosumer level WiFi routers.  Especially since the new Ubiquiti dream machine is it now.

Others to include would be the Google nest, Roqos core, Fortigate, etc.

Am I shameless? Yes.

My brother and I, 27 and 29, live on different coasts in the US. We both have PS4s and after a kinda rocky relationship through teenage and 20s years, we are finally able to connect... Through Fortnite. I'd like to expand and have more co-op games and have better experiences while gaming together and even have matching or big brother, little brother computers, but alas, he's not a computer builder and I don't have $4K to drop on good gaming gear for each of us. So we are stuck on PS4s.
All this to say, video idea:
Twin (or big/little brother) gaming PC builds that will help a struggling relationship stay alive. And around the holidays? Even better.

Thanks, love all the YouTube stuff.

I found something a while ago, normal AA and AAA rechargeable batteries, but instead of using a battery recharger, they use a USB Micro-B port on the side. I'm wondering if they are actually as good as their very poorly photoshopped pictures suggest. Could be a good 'Handy Tech Under $100' item. They even come in Angry Birds style.
https://www.lightors.com/newpage/shop_index.html

Build Challenge 

Thank you for your content.  I live vicariously through your show as I could never justify some of the amazing builds you have come up with in your show. 

I have two kids that use computers for watching shows and playing games like roblox.  To keep theirs and my own computers up to date I’d have to purchase multiple towers and systems.  Instead of buying three budget systems I was thinking hey why not build one tower built with a high end processor with multiple cores and use a virtual network. 

My Challenge: 

Using the Ryzen 9 3950x when it comes out, build a system that would speak to my situation. 

Hardware 

• Ryzen 9 3950x 

• 2080ti (hey why not) 

• 2 best bang for your $$$ video cards (1060) 

• 1 old video card for the bios 

• 1 TB, 2 500 GB SSD (M.2 not an option, need the PCI slots I assume?) 

• 1 4k display wired, 2 best bang for you $$ displays set up wirelessly. 

Software 

• Virtual network (I.e. unraid)  

Setup 

• Assign 8 cores to the 2080 ti and 4 cores each for the 1060s.  It would be interesting to see what the benchmarks are with only using half the cores and when under full user load. 

• Ultimate challenge:  When the users of the 1060s are not logged in, the unused cores are automatically re-assigned back to the user with the 2080 t with as little interruption as possible and re-assigned when they log back in. 

Keep up the great content. 

Scott 

the whole GPU frankenstein cooling has made me wonder.

what if we made the ultimate water cooling setup with the aquarium chiller that has a centralized reservoir. i would say using the linus janky salvaged refrigerator compressor  but the goal isnt sub ambient.

things that would be cooled is 

1. the cpu... duh

2. the Gpu... that obvious

3. the motherboard...a bit high end but why not?

4. the user ....yes the user.

why the user? well some streamers might not have an ideal cooling for their room and they always complained about feeling warm in streams since they sit close to their monstrous space heater of tech.

so the idea is to integrate some kind of cooling vest used by racecar drivers or DIY something similar

example: 

9aTb4DD.jpg

so the aquarium chiller will cool the main reservoir, the fluid doesnt have to flow through the aquarium chiller due to the variability of the metal in the aquarium chiller.

so using something used to chill multiple aquariums.

3VRhNYT.jpg

that said the aquarium chiller will probably make the room hotter unless the aquarium chiller is venting air outside the room

but hey at least the streamer will feel cooler and components will run cooler.

the cost might be more than investing in a good A/C for your room depending on your location

in terms of Galvanic Corrosion, long term will be an issue. most people run stainless steel with their aquarium chillers so i'm assuming the internals of the aquarium chiller is aluminum or stainless steel cold plate since copper is avoided since it affects shelled creatures.