Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

*Matrix Morpheus glasses*

What if I told you... that your audio was being held back by the electricity in your fans, in your hard drive, even in your ram?

Don't believe me? Take a listen for yourself.

*staticy noise*

Now, what if I told you, that you can stick this mystery PCB in to your ram slots and it would be fixed?

spacer.png

DDR4 booster?!?!

spacer.png

A fan what?!

PCIE card?!?

SATA... thing?!!?

It's time to show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes... after a word from this video's sponsor [ect...]

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

you realize you'd run the GPUs on 4x?

Not sure if virtual network can be done without a GPU for the bios without integrated GPU.  An old lap top small form factor GPU slotted in a drive slot with a PCI extension?   

On 11/7/2019 at 7:26 AM, mitcoes said:

Pine and Xiaomi are making affordable computer watches.

I would love to watch some videos about them.

only if he can get them to sponsor him, or there is enough interest for clickbaitability

lots of ppl wear the computer watches

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Bring back max. I miss her rgb hair. My rgb pc has no sense anymore.

9 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

Bring back max. I miss her rgb hair. My rgb pc has no sense anymore.

...and her hairy arms

editing cuts pffffffffft

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

...and her hairy arms

editing cuts pffffffffft

... and her nails, i really dont care the hardware with the nail of max on it.

Just now, muito_gostoso said:

... and her nails, i really dont care the hardware with the nail of max on it.

linus had painted fingernails, yes

My Video idea:

Software-rendering with a high core-count-CPU (for example a Ryzen Threadripper).

I recently set-up an Unraid-NAS with an Ryzen 7 3700X and without a graphics-card.

I was wondering what the "gaming"-performance of a Windows 10 VM would be. (Having only a "software GPU".)

Given enough cores (I gave the VM 12 of my 16 Threads), a simple game like Poly Bridge ran surprisingly smooth.

The CPU-utilization was near 100%.

As there is no GPU in the system, the video stream was accessed via RDP.

I also tried the Unraid-VNC-webui and Steam-in-Home-Streaming.

Some ridiculous setup like this seems to fit perfectly in a LTT-Video:

- Unraid

- showcasing new high-end processor

- use a 2,000 $ CPU for something a 200 $ GPU could do better (?)

- and there was that one video about a "cpu graphics-card" from Intel (https://youtu.be/um-1fAVU1OQ) maybe this could be an other approach, once we have 512-Core CPUs? :P

A suggestion for one of the roundup of cheap stuff from amazon style vids, I know this harks back to an old trend, but bags. Specifically backpacks designed for carrying a laptop.

Not only does amazon, ebay, wish etc have a range of cheap options both my local chain supermarkets offer cheap (ish) bags.

As an aside, I work in a warehouse that handles expensive luggage and bags, including mobile office, laptop backpacks and messenger bags. 

How does the cheapies compare to the money.

Edit: having just watched the latest WAN show and seen the MOS backpack in there, good opportunity for a video sponsor, will help to offset some of the purchasing required.

Music Production Workstation Video Request (serial processing)

While applications such as video editing rely heavily on parallel processing, 
music production relies solely on the cpu and unlike many other applications it doesn't  utilize parallel processing very well. Instead it relies heavily on serial processing instead. 

My question:
Is it possible to make a video about this specific build (budget build, mid build, ultimate build) while staying quite as possible?

Requirements:
- quite as possible
- cool as possible
- fast as possible (within each budget)
- thunderbolt 3 (for audio interface like UAD* Apollo X)
- NvmE (for Windows and DAW*)
- min. 2TB of storage (for large NI* Kontakt 6 libaries)
- min 16GB RAM
- fast RAM
- multiple monitors
- no rgb or other visual stuff

Love your content guys. ❤️

*Universal Audio
*Digital Audio Workstation
*Native Instruments

4 hours ago, MrKimchi said:
Music Production Workstation Video Request (serial processing)

While applications such as video editing rely heavily on parallel processing, 
music production relies solely on the cpu and unlike many other applications it doesn't  utilize parallel processing very well. Instead it relies heavily on serial processing instead. 

My question:
Is it possible to make a video about this specific build (budget build, mid build, ultimate build) while staying quite as possible?

Requirements:
- quite as possible
- cool as possible
- fast as possible (within each budget)
- thunderbolt 3 (for audio interface like UAD* Apollo X)
- NvmE (for Windows and DAW*)
- min. 2TB of storage (for large NI* Kontakt 6 libaries)
- min 16GB RAM
- fast RAM
- multiple monitors
- no rgb or other visual stuff

Love your content guys. ❤️

*Universal Audio
*Digital Audio Workstation
*Native Instruments

Hi..

New to the forum here but coincidentally also doing a DAW setup and hitting a few issues.  Went for Ryzen 3600 and Asus b450 plus.  Have issues with Cubase / Steinberg  downloader and update etc..  Wanted to install Windows 7 as its very stable with Cubase but.....   Cant load Win7 on that combo.   Is there a way to get older windows on these newer boards?

7 hours ago, jamman2019 said:

pc bulding with Dennis

is he still around or did Canada not allow

Some sort of explanation on processors and how they work, mother boards and how they work, RAM and how it works, and what they are all used for, would be very cool and would be very educational and entertaining.

Just an idea.

4 minutes ago, Isaac Brumby said:

Some sort of explanation on processors and how they work, mother boards and how they work, RAM and how it works, and what they are all used for, would be very cool and would be very educational and entertaining.

Just an idea.

linus has done all that........ and more

he has done multiple videos on all of that.

tech quickie is his other channel

also superfunny is his other channel though i dont know if its still going

Can we get a review for Zhaoxin CPUs ? 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

another RGB device to consider, although once you've seen it you can't unsee it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963627744.html?gps-id=7590465&scm=1007.14677.110221.0&scm_id=1007.14677.110221.0&scm-url=1007.14677.110221.0&pvid=d879f7db-c127-4426-a2f0-f7ca03e5b1ac&spm=a2g1y.promotion-20181111.promoteRecommendProducts_7523029.37

my questions would revolve around the actual lighting levels and would they work well as a night light or not. As you can see entirely practical. I would also query as to how often the motion sensor would go off and exactly when.

C'mon Linus, you KNOW you want it.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:41 AM, CruncyLicensePlates said:

Linus, 

You like to review expensive things with sometimes dubious quality / specification claims, since you're building a big home theater in your studio / home / pool, this would make for an interesting video review. 

Hi-End Stereophile gear prices can be through the roof, it's referred to as "luxury audio" by JBL who has a whole division dedicated to building products for the same customer that would buy that HP Omen X monitor you just reviewed. We all know that ferrite magnets are put on some cables to reduce RF on audio and data cables. But as for the digital media going across a data cable having it's audio quality differ because of a ferrite magnet? 

A hi-end audio home theater cable company in the US has come out with a "special USB-C" cable that is "tuneable" (??) that's supposed to give you better audio by massaging the data (?). http://www.stealthaudiocables.com/products/usb-cables/usb/

This company has a product called: STEALTH USB –T
“T” stands for “tunable” – the sliding ferromagnetic collar allows to fine-tune the sound.

They claim

"Such a sliding collar proved to be quite efficient on our AC cords, loudspeaker cables and the Sextet V14-T, and it works as efficient for the USB cables.

The user moves this collar along the cable, while listening, and at a certain position the sound comes into focus – the same way as it is with a photo lens. This is a tedious procedure, and it usually requires several hours of careful listening, but the ending result is definitely worth the effort.

The Select version is made of all hand-picked selected parts and wires; the cables is hand-tuned using our proprietary measuring equipment, it is a labor intensive and lengthy procedure, this is why the price for the Select is higher."

PRICING
The suggested Retail for the standard STEALTH USB is $850 in 1 meter, and $200 for extra meter;

The suggested Retail for the USB-T (user-tunable) version is $1250 in 1 meter, and $200 for extra meter;

The suggested Retail for the USB-T SELECT (user-tunable SELECT VERSION) version is $1650 in 1 meter, and $350 for extra meter

Kinda done this with those HDMI cable's

And that USB cable is complete and utter snake oil. But I would absolutely love to see more audio stuff on the LTT channel. Got the meridian audio visit and those DIY speakers and a few headphone bits and bobs and thats it.

And here's some more snake oil:

image.png.f6cc67e74d9ffeb3c1c3dadc68b701bd.png

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

21 hours ago, amdorintel said:

linus has done all that........ and more

he has done multiple videos on all of that.

tech quickie is his other channel

also superfunny is his other channel though i dont know if its still going

I guess I just need to look closer at all that stuff, because I did not know that. Thank you anyway.

I mean I didn't know that he already did videos on the CPUs and computer parts, I did know about tech quickie however. thank you all the same.

Just now, Isaac Brumby said:

I guess I just need to look closer at all that stuff, because I did not know that. Thank you anyway.

I mean I didn't know that he already did videos on the CPUs and computer parts, I did know about tech quickie however. thank you all the same.

yea he actually repeats a lot of the info, just to have another video out to grab more clicks

6 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

yea he actually repeats a lot of the info, just to have another video out to grab more clicks

I guess that is also good for if someone needs to know the information but the videos that that someone is looking for is at the bottom of his video list and can't find the video anywhere.

That is a bit like me right now.

O.K. So I have been thinking, Why not have a sub zero chiller run into a vacuumed sealed case after it has been dehumidified. You would not have to insulate the board because of the lack of water, right? Could you do it, or would it not work?

Original AirPods vs AirPods 2 vs AirPods Pro (Or as i like to call them ProPods)