Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I like Alex and his janky looking but somehow still working builds and mods. you guys made a video where you built a pc inside of an original xbox. very nice. what about a more janky-er version with an xbox one s? stealthy modern gaming pc that can be used for gaming or as a HTPC. it was a struggle to get everything to fit last time, what if you could use a laptop motherboard? buy a cheap faulty xbox one s, get your hands on a decent gaming laptop (all you need is the working motherboard, sort out some custom cooling and stuffs, package it nicely inside of the xbox one s case. i want to do it myself but not sure how id go about it, plus costs and other things i might miss. bonus points for fitting the power adapter inside aswell.

Cheers - Jared

I really enjoy watching this channel.

Here is a suggestion for a video idea.

Building a pc out of only 1 star products on amazon.

I am probably a nerd that loves tech.

@Wellingtonzed

I totally agree it would be awesome to see them create the ultimate flight set up/battle station and they could even see if they could get an alpha preview of Microsoft's new flight sim (Far fetched idea). maybe even have Alex design a cockpit design to hold monitors PC and peripherals could be a multipart series /build.

How about perfect laptops and computers to buy in this time of the year, for like two times in a year as a buyers guide.

Also a recommendation for the channel, you can add a few tests reviewing Machine Learning model training time or compile time testing for the machines you test.

Maybe an up-to-date office tour including (most importantly) the server room situation...

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

There are many of us who purchased Ryzen 1st Gen and are looking at the newest chips with hopes to purchase. Problem is, can we trust AMDs am4 promise that this new chips (with bios updates) will work well?

We have the x370, x470 and x570 now, as well as a slue of boards in-between. 

Honestly, before the launch and release it would be nice to get some testing on older boards to see if the new processors work.

How does a 3950x work on a top end board from the day Ryzen launched?

How about a b450 board? If not the 3950, could someone drop a new processor onto it at all and it work?

I know the charts and power figures say some boards won't and some will, but I really and hesitant about dropping 750 bucks just to have to replace my motherboard as well, and frankly, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see AMDs promises tested before purchasing.

gaming pc from 2000 with the jankiest mishmash of parts

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

4 hours ago, Evanair said:

There are many of us who purchased Ryzen 1st Gen and are looking at the newest chips with hopes to purchase. Problem is, can we trust AMDs am4 promise that this new chips (with bios updates) will work well?

We have the x370, x470 and x570 now, as well as a slue of boards in-between. 

Honestly, before the launch and release it would be nice to get some testing on older boards to see if the new processors work.

How does a 3950x work on a top end board from the day Ryzen launched?

How about a b450 board? If not the 3950, could someone drop a new processor onto it at all and it work?

I know the charts and power figures say some boards won't and some will, but I really and hesitant about dropping 750 bucks just to have to replace my motherboard as well, and frankly, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see AMDs promises tested before purchasing.

I second this, my ASUS Prime-X370-PRO "Supports" the Ryzen 9 3950X, is there a real world difference in performance with otherwise the same hardware? I want to see whether an X370 can keep up with an X570 while PCIe 4.0 devices are still rare.

So, yesterday I was building myself a little NAS using old computer parts and I had an idea. 

What if you try to build a silent computer using old PC fan and you do a contest with two team playing against each other and the quietest PC won. 

I hope this won't be lost in this forum and you could actually make a video out of it. 

I created an account here solely to request this:

A beginners guide to water cooling please ?

I've been watching you guys for a while now and would really appreciate something along these lines

Cheers?

@LinusTech @CPotter Put Dennis in more videos. He is very funny!

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

After watching the delightful new video "My most painful PC build" I need more of this. Linus building computers with pre teens, elderly, little kids, anyone who is going to give him a hard time. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. This is awesome!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

Hey Linus, could you please do a video or a live feed of COPPA and what is means for everyone and how it might affect your channel please?  There are a lot of videos out there painting this cloud of doom for everyone on YouTube.  I would like to hear your take on this situation.

Welp @CPotter, I guess yall asking for more lol

Since winter's coming up,
How about a canada-cooled (sorta like an AC unit) build ?
Heck, you could reach sub 0 temps in late december / january !

You basically need the same stuff as for a N2 cooled system, but with a radiator outside the house :D 

I've had plans to do this for years but I always get bothered with projects and time restraints lol

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 hours ago, givingtnt said:

Welp @CPotter, I guess yall asking for more lol

Since winter's coming up,
How about a canada-cooled (sorta like an AC unit) build ?
Heck, you could reach sub 0 temps in late december / january !

You basically need the same stuff as for a N2 cooled system, but with a radiator outside the house :D 

I've had plans to do this for years but I always get bothered with projects and time restraints lol

LMG kind of did that with whole-room watercooling though, what you're requesting is just that on a smaller scale...

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

@LinusTech

Following along the lines of your recent videos on Monitor frequency and FPS...

What affect do pixel response time have on image clarity ?

or

Do Pixel response times actually matter ?

Grab a selection of displays that have a known tested set of pixel response times for each transition.

Do maybe 144hz and 240hz displays.

Since panel type affects the general results layout of pixel speeds for certain transition it would make comparing a Slow TN vs a Fast VA rather pointless as even a fast VA will have a slow dark transition vs a slow TN. So ensure that the panel types are the same within each set frequency.  And ofc frequency has to be the same to show why pixel response time matters. .or doesnt.

3 example of each frequency with different pixel response speeds, slow, moderate, and fast.

For example at 144hz IPS.  (ideally resolution would also be the same, i know they are not in this example)

Slow : LG 34UC79G-B                        (4.6 - 13.5 ms)

Moderate: Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD  (3.7 - 9.3 ms)

Fast: LG 27GL850-B                          (2.7 - 6.2 ms)

Keep in mind that overdrive settings can be used to tune the response times to be even further separated. The above times are using the best overdrive settings to avoid overshoot whilst maximizing speed. There's nothing stopping you form turning off overdrive completely on the lowest example and reducing it somewhat on the moderate speed example to open up the gap. you dont want to max out overdrive as that introduces overshoot artifacts that would ruin the results.

i would also suggest u make sure the monitors used are calibrated to be as close to each other as possible to help remove as much difference between the static image as possible so that it doesnt affect peoples perception of the moving image beyond what ur testing.

You can keep things as purely subjective asking people to sit down and compare them, focusing on moving image clarity. and if ur so inclined include detailed slow mo footage showing up the 'blur/ ghosting' of each display. You could also include accruacy test to see how much if at all it affects people accuracy hitting very small moving targets.

You can do the same at 240hz,

Also perhaps you could even try to pick up a 240hz display that has a pixel response speed slower than a really fast 144hz display.

for example:

144hz, TN

Dell S2716DG  (2.4 - 4.0ms)

vs

240hz, TN

BenQ Zowie XL2540 (3.3 - 7.9ms)

And compare which people prefer for motion clarity and gaming.

** pixel response speeds quoted are 80% and 100% average transition times measured by rtings.com

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I made some (basic) plots from last video (Does Highs FPS make you a better gamer?).

527553024_images(2).png.9ebf792636f767c6d5ccafe829d54590.png1745018145_images(3).png.dd918ac9f4a1e9483356b42d85c8c710.png119638043_images(4).png.0ab741963cbba7404c9335b7b4fac1a0.png230626283_images(5).png.0edc690730a77b5767edacb5739a299f.png1882110217_images(6).png.97a0b091abea678344b53386f26ba2ce.png

2016272724_images(1).png.eec5b22ed4b199c53cde981e55544f0e.png

With so many numbers showing in screen and THAT awful barplots, I barely understand the results. 

I have so many suggestions for last video:
-Explain what is 'standard deviation', yeah the mathematical form is awful but the basic idea is a must.
-Nobody have interest in the exact value of standard deviation. If it exist, this must to be in the appropiate plot.
-The barplot is not the solution for everything.
-if the plot have labels in Y, will be great.

I was thinking a review of Enmotus FuzeDrive, AMD's response to Intel Optane. I am thinking it may be a good idea for the build I am working on, but I have heard it is tricky to set up and I could use a more knowledgeable opinion.

Also, in a bit you may be able to get a hold of one of a new Motorola Razr, which should be coming out next January.

Here is another suggestion: Are APUs worth it? You could also try 'Are APUs better for budget systems?'