Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Gaming in a Semi Truck home away from home. Challenges of running off a 1500 Watt power inverter, Wall mounting Preferred Duel Monitors, And leaving nothing modified to truck afterwards. 

20190916_230141.jpg

20190916_225343.jpg

Graphic tablet comparison

Nobody has compared more than two graphic tablets in a video, and this would be a great shootout for all the artists and designers in the community. Compare separately those with and without a screen, compatibility with software (driver check), screen quality, and more. 

Best tabletop rpg experience feat. technology

How awesome can you make tabletop rpgs become with good old tech? D&D and similar. 4k projectors, multiple screens, custom table, animated terrain, maybe even 3d scenes. Try holographs? That see-through display you reviewed on top of another? You can pull in 3d printers as well. How about audio immersion? Heck even blowers for wind, go full 4DX. 

Everyone knows how much of a hassle smart home devices can be, all of the clunky apps and hubs are absolutely cluttering your home and your phone. Using Linux and a little know-how though, you can install OpenHAB2 and Homegear to consolidate all your smart devices in to one highly configurable app and (I believe) remove some of the most popular hubs including Sonos and Philips Hue.

https://www.openhab.org/

https://homegear.eu/

In this video it could also be installed along with PiHole on a Ubuntu home server, as I am planning on doing on my 3rd gen i3 server I got for $65, and this could start a cheap all-in-one Ubuntu home server series of videos. The server would be both useful and something viewers can easily do at home on the cheap.

EDIT: You can also add a RF module to your home network to control non-smart RF devices all from the same app

The Raspberry Pi Zero used in the PiHole video can be used to handle 433hz RF since you already have it and it would show that this is more of a upgrade path using the product the viewer may have already bought in the previous video.

Finally, you can use a OpenHAB Minecraft binding to bind a smart home object in the office to a switch on the official LTT Minecraft server, allowing people to control a real light bulb from the server.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I just watched the sleeper build video (

) and you guys had it next to an absolutely beautiful old style monitor. Also just watched Linus and Alex swap the panel on the AD27QD. What if you took a new 1440p (44-165hz) panel and tried to install it on the old monitor case? That would be a beauty system....Addicted to your channel now and somehow have a server in my house now.... 

How powerful those new EPYC processors really are?

Match computational performance of dual processor server with some kind of beowulf cluster. This can easily be scaled to be doable yet impressive.

I have heard that not all home security options are safe because some brands are easy to get into and even some main brand ones are getting hacked. I have done some of my own personal research and I have a theory that the Google Nest and Arlo brands are safe, however Amazon's ring is not safe because I believe it has unencrypted traffic. Is this true? Maybe a good video idea for you guys!

Can we bring back some exotic cooling methods and have linus test out how well they work? I loved that video about bong cooling and I think it would be funny to benchmark several of the weird cooling methods and bench marking them against each other.

Could we get a techquickie video explaining the new nvidia turing stack in full? I had a buddy of mine get really confused because of nvidias dumb naming scheme. I was thinking kinda like that video about gpus through the 10 years that you guys did with AMD and Nvidia

You guys made a video about making your own cpu blocks, could u do one on a GPU block to with your guys machinery and Alex?

Use spare hardware from the LTT office to build a network of quiet cryptocurrency miner space heaters to heat Linus’ home.

39 minutes ago, GreatWhiteWine said:

Hello everyone,

Just found out about this, I would love to see the face of Linus when unboxing this weird stuff ordered by Alex...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/monsterlabos-the-heart-is-a-monstrous-7-pound-passive-cpu-and-gpu-cooler

LTT has done a video on the system this cooler is used in. Doesn't look like the heatsink would be practical for any other case than their really unique case which was designed for it.

There's tests in the video which show how the cooler performs if you're interested.

Edit: My guess is the company ordered more heatsinks than they sold units of, so they are now stuck with a bunch of heatsinks they can't do anything with and are trying to sell them separately. I really can't think why anyone would have a use for this unless they were willing to build a completely custom case designed around it.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hello all, recently I got my motorbike and I was thinking about getting some wireless earbuds to wear in the helmet. The rationale is that I don't feel comfortable having my phone on a stand on a bike while driving at 60+ mph and as such navigation in new areas can be a bit problematic. You need to memorize the route beforehand and most often than not (I) get lost and have to get it out, which in turn means stopping and trying to fish it out of my pocket with gloves, just a messy situation. Given that Linus himself is also riding a bike and James did a video recently (?) about wireless earbuds, I though it'd be a good idea to combine the both and find a pair that is a) wireless b) noise canceling c) relatively economic and d) comfortable to wear inside a helmet.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

LTT has done a video on the system this cooler is used in. Doesn't look like the heatsink would be practical for any other case than their really unique case which was designed for it.

There's tests in the video which show how the cooler performs if you're interested.

Edit: My guess is the company ordered more heatsinks than they sold units of, so they are now stuck with a bunch of heatsinks they can't do anything with and are trying to sell them separately. I really can't think why anyone would have a use for this unless they were willing to build a completely custom case designed around it.

I remember this video, it didn't click in my mind that this was the same company...

1 hour ago, jrsall92 said:

Hello all, recently I got my motorbike and I was thinking about getting some wireless earbuds to wear in the helmet. The rationale is that I don't feel comfortable having my phone on a stand on a bike while driving at 60+ mph and as such navigation in new areas can be a bit problematic. You need to memorize the route beforehand and most often than not (I) get lost and have to get it out, which in turn means stopping and trying to fish it out of my pocket with gloves, just a messy situation. Given that Linus himself is also riding a bike and James did a video recently (?) about wireless earbuds, I though it'd be a good idea to combine the both and find a pair that is a) wireless b) noise canceling c) relatively economic and d) comfortable to wear inside a helmet.

i dont think one should wear wireless earbuds when riding a motorbike. as a cyclist and as someone that had been a pillion rider on motorbikes multiple times, so i know the annoyance of listening to GPS and how it feels to wear a full helmet.

but it reduces the rider awareness to the surrounding, earbuds or In-Ear earphones have a tendency to block sound as part of their Noise Cancelling design.

and only those that have the feature to boost external sounds would negate such an effect.

but that feature is not on cheaper earbuds and they are more for when you are sitting down with your friends and still want to hear the conversation.

and that feature is possibly dependant on earbuds constantly active. so without music/directions constantly being fed into your ear, you might end up wearing earplugs in a sense.

i suggest looking at motorcycle Helmet speakers. they come in both wired and bluetooth

19 minutes ago, eisenklad said:

i dont think one should wear wireless earbuds when riding a motorbike. as a cyclist and as someone that had been a pillion rider on motorbikes multiple times, so i know the annoyance of listening to GPS and how it feels to wear a full helmet.

but it reduces the rider awareness to the surrounding, earbuds or In-Ear earphones have a tendency to block sound as part of their Noise Cancelling design.

and only those that have the feature to boost external sounds would negate such an effect.

but that feature is not on cheaper earbuds and they are more for when you are sitting down with your friends and still want to hear the conversation.

and that feature is possibly dependant on earbuds constantly active. so without music/directions constantly being fed into your ear, you might end up wearing earplugs in a sense.

i suggest looking at motorcycle Helmet speakers. they come in both wired and bluetooth

I understand your concerns and they are not baseless, yet any sound system inside a helmet (without the booster you mention) will have the same shortcomings, the same goes for motorbike earplugs as well which are quite popular from what I've seen. I'm aware of some BT comms systems for helmets but they are expensive, bulky and if you don't care about communicating with other riders on the (mesh) network they create, I think they are overkill. Also, a reason I'm looking for wireless is so that I can wear only one and still be able to pay attention to my surrounding sounds.

Hi everyone! was actually encountering a problem i hav'nt found many solutions for so i thought it would make for a good challenge for LTT and an informative video for others who im sure suffer from the same issues. I have a mini-Audio studio in my basement which i also use for all my pc gaming shenanigans. Issue comes in that most of us also smoke in this room and play music.

As im sure most of us know, Tar released by tobacco or cannabis is very bad for electronics, especially if the room has no outside ventilation or source for fresh air. I have a pretty big air filter which keeps air quality good enough but the issue comes in after a month of those conditions and i go to check my gaming rig and BOOM, black tar in any spot in the case/fans/gpu/cpu fan, any spot that can house dust particles gets filled within 3 months.my  tech guy at the office always gets flabbergasted and tells me to not smoke in that room, but boys will be boys (well in this case, musicians) and parrt of the comfort of a home studio is to not be in the most professional enviornment, but rather the most comfortable.

So heres the challenge, Is there anyway a casing can be protected from smoking tar residue ? was thinking maybe water cooling would be a solution but even radiator fans need air to blow in. Something i couldnt find much answers to so thought it would make an interesting video for those who like to smoke where they game.

Sorry for the detailed post, but had to make my pitch! keep doing what you guys do, cheers

Linus Media Group really needs to look into https://patchbox.com/ for their server room. Lol

You should do a video about how many cores make sense for gaming.  You could test the upper limit (the most that can possibly be used/useful), the lower limit (how few you can get away with, assuming each of them is really fast), and sort of a practical sweetspot that people would actually run.

My recommendation for how to test this is as follows:

• For the upper limit, get a very high core count CPU (32+), turn off HT/SMT, and lower the clockspeed to something very small like 1 or 2 GHz.  Try some games and see just how many cores you can pin (of course taking into consideration that what appears to be 2 cores at 50% is likely 1 core's worth of load just being constantly moved around by Windows).  This can then be validated by disabling cores until you have only this many, noticing that performance is basically unchanged, and then disabling a few more and seeing that it drops noticeably.  Of course once you have this number, it's not to say that this is how many cores you need - a more reasonable CPU could accomplish the same performance with half as many cores because each of them is stronger - it's just interesting to know that you theoretically could split the load up to X degree, and no further.
  • For the lower limit, get something like a 9900KS and push it as fast as you possibly can (LN2, etc. - maybe even collab with Steve, idk).  Start with 4 cores and keep adding more until it doesn't help anymore.  I suspect that despite your best efforts, you won't be able to get a theoretically perfect test, but it might still be interesting.
  • For the balanced situation, take a look at a CPU with middling core count and frequency (or simulate one with underclocking and core disabling, might be easier), and then look at the effect of adding more cores vs adding more clockspeed (or just switching to a CPU with that config).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

having a competition to see who can build the worst pc with a budget of 100 dollars 

Main Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x  Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming plus max  RAM: 32gb corsair vengeance ddr4 3200mhz ram  GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 SUPER 8gb Case:  cooler master td500   PSU: corsair 750watt bronze80+  Cooling: Kraken x53 aio Storagewdblack snd750,3tb wd blue hdd

2nd Pc: CPU: ryzen 5 3600 Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3  RAM: 16gb 3000mhz gskill Aegis  GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650super 4gb  Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB Airflow PSU: corsair cx 550watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Vetroo V5 CPU Air Cooler Storage: adata su635 240gb ssd, seagate 750gb 7200rpm hdd

3rd pc CPU: i7 2600 Motherboard: asus H61M-E  RAM: 16 gb ddr3 1333mhz GPU: nvidia gtx 1060 3gb Case: thermaltake versa h18 PSU: evga 450watt 80+ bronze Cooling: Cooler Master I70C (Copper Core) Mini CPU Cooler Storage: crucial mx 500 500gb ssd, wd blue 1tb 7200rpm hdd 

I'd like to see a more in-depth video on how to diagnose the kind of Blue Screens you typically when building your own PC. Well more in-depth than you already did last year for the TechQuickie.

In particular, how to determine which specific component is failing, how to narrow down when the messages are inconsistent, the difference in approach when you are overclocking vs. running unmodified settings, what Windows files or native/3rd party tools are available to help narrow things down.

-ST

Google just rolled out RCS. It would be nice to see a video on enabling and using RCS on Android. Maybe a good topic for a tech quickie?

I was in the market for a flight sim setup. I just started getting into it recently, but found few if ANY videos on the best flight sim setups. Only found the really expensive dated one on your channel in 2015. not useful at all. 

So im talking best Flight stick, rudder, throttle, or an all-in-one HOTAS (so it has rudder, throttle and stick in one). Go find and recommend the best at different budgets. 

Use either IL-2 Sturmovic: Battle of Stalingrad or/and DCS(digital combat simulator) as the games to test the stuff on. Obviously test the feel, construction, pricing etc....

There are many stuff such as the expensive replicas like the stick of an A-10 Worthhog on the high end. 

and the Logitech Extreme 3D HOTAS all in one at 50CAD on the low end and the industry long time standard. 

Its kind of like the keyboard or earbuds comparison videos you made. Go nuts. 

I have found a couple cool looking AIO water coolers with digital temperature readouts, the PcCooler Freeze 120 and 240. But, I cannot find any real, credible reviews on them. Wondering if you guys would be interested in some more Ali Express shopping, checking both the effectiveness and accuracy of these products.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32843531926.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_4116614.subject_20

A6J3_130867794440906277NfBOa9AcRq.jpg

remember that linus and his employees are not mechanically inclined

they can put together a pc, run cables

but making furniture hahahahahahahahahahahahaha no

What about a series on PC origins, what it was like using and repairing PCs as far back as the Apple II or Z80 based CP/M machines. I'm sure of us old-timers could give you some tips or maybe even hardware. I'm not sure if I still have my Apple II chips in the little plastic organizers any longer. Or the "secret guide" to the motherboard with notations of what chip replacements fixed what noise or what was shown on the screen.  If you did it long enough it would only take one or two tries to fix an apple II. Disk drive alignments by sound was an art form.  I'd bet you could get Woz to visit the studio.  He's much more of a people person that Jobs. I also believe he favors people being able to fix their own stuff.

Does Linus own a set of chip extractrors to fix an Apple II? I haven't seen anyone try to overclock a 6502a  in a long time

Another challange would be to write a playable game in basic as a team challange. I don't imagine any of you have a lick of time writing on an Apple II, it predates you all by decades.  I tought noobs how to do this 39 years ago, youll need to find someone like my in Canada with a similar skill set to be the judge,

Fix it, then program it, simple!

Just an idea