Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

anything 3d printing, maybe even a TQ about 3d printing

something about BOINC and FAH would be nice too.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

A video update on the PG35VQ since Linus got it.

Discuss about scan lines or flickering that other users encountered with. Driver or Firmware problem? How to fix?

Hi Guys, Long time viewer, first time poster.

I would love to see you guys explore cooling of AMD's dual chiplet CPUs ... There seems to be a lot of speculation on how much the heat pipe direction matters, so much so that it's been suggested that the smaller single tower U12A out competes the legendary NH-D15 (according to Wendel from level1tech at least ).

I'd love to see this explored, see if orientation makes much difference on a test-bench, whether single tower coolers that orientate their heat-pipes perform better than they normally do....

You guys are super resourceful too, could add some real linus flaire if you guys could get a hold of a thermal camera to show the difference in heat transfer.

Edited by Kronaz
clarity - suggested that u12A outperforms D15, haven't seen conclusive tests.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Building the oldest possible pc from Amazon, eBay, Newegg, etc. That would be interesting!

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Building the oldest possible computer from Amazon, eBay, Newegg, etc. That would be interesting!

I would like a more formal podcast / news format. I don't like some of LTT's news content anymore, I feel the following things kinda suck now:

- WAN show (off topic casual was fun for a while, but it's time to move on)

- TechLinked (yelling at me random bits that I don't care about)

A lot of channels are doing tech news now but I think it think LTT can offer something more. As a die hard LTT fan , I've pretty much already bought everything I'll ever need and then some, so even reviews are getting to be offtopic for me as I own so many gadgets already. I still think those are good, but I don't watch them anymore as much because I already own 12 pairs of headphones and 5 laptops.

tl-dr I would like a long form podcast/news/discussion show

Good day to all of you!

Could we have more Vlog videos about the workshop, the new LAN center and a new, bigger, cleaner, better server room with a 100 petabyte of storage?

I know I am asking for a lot, but deep down you know I am right.

I know You guys like Your Logitech, But I say you should give Razer a Chance regarding peripherals. Especially the new Razer Viper Ultimate they just released.

Do a How To video on how to build a computer fully. NO CUTSCENES. Or do. Just put every step please.

Another idea. How about make a video on a graphics card buying guide? I would really like to know how to find the best ones to buy. 

hey linus can you explain the huge difference of price for the dell alienware laptop vs the dell g7 laptop 

like this 
https://www.dell.com/fr-ca/shop/portables-et-miniportatifs/ordinateur-portable-de-jeu-dell-17-de-la-gamme-g7/spd/g-series-17-7790-laptop/ni177790_sb_s1706f
vs
https://www.dell.com/fr-ca/shop/portables-et-miniportatifs/nouvel-ordinateur-portable-de-jeu-alienware-m17/spd/alienware-m17-r2-laptop/naym17_f_s4f

1150 $ extra for the alienware with same specification

this 
https://www.dell.com/fr-ca/shop/portables-et-miniportatifs/ordinateur-portable-de-jeu-dell-17-de-la-gamme-g7/spd/g-series-17-7790-laptop/ni177790_sb_s1710f
vs
https://www.dell.com/fr-ca/shop/portables-et-miniportatifs/nouvel-ordinateur-portable-de-jeu-alienware-m17/spd/alienware-m17-r2-laptop/naym17_f_s2f
430 $ extra for the alienware which have half ram and half ssd

And explain more how to buy a good laptop without fail in company trap like dell , yes the laptop look  cool just who really need that!!!

Ps I got an alienware in past and was really desapointed , 1 drive on 3 died in the array after the first  years warranty , no windows 10 support and the board die after 3 years due to a mofset. the model I owned was the m18x r2 

SCRAPYARD. WARS.

Entertainment PC ~ 9900k - 32gb Ripjaws V CL16 - Aorus Pro Wifi - DRP4 - 240GB Intel SSD - 6TB Conventional HD's - Corsair RM850x - Fractal Mesify C in White - EVGA GTX 980Ti SC

Displays ~ Lenovo g34w-10 (Main) - BenQ XL2540 (Gaming) - 32" Acer ET322QR (For Laptop) - BenQ XL2411 (Backup / In storage) - Vivo STAND-V001JB & STAND-V001T

Peripherals ~ Corsair K68 RGB MX Red - BFO9000 (in progress) - Logitech G900 - Blue Snowball - Bose QC 35 II

Laptop ~ Asus a17 4800H / 16GB / 1TB NVME / 1660Ti / 120hz w/

Second PC ~ i5 8400 / 16GB Ripjaws V CL18 / MSI z370 A-Pro 

Productivity Other ~ Macbook Air 2015 model - Macbook Pro 17" (2011) - iPad Pro 2015 Model w/ Pencil w/ Otterbox Hardcase - Toshiba Satellite S50-D 

Networking ~ Fk off

Bio - Literal Retarded Autist

It would be great if you guys can do a series on home networking and security , I mean like how to properly setup a secure home network. Like VLAN's / Segmenting ..etc ,Ubiquiti stuff is what linus likes so that would do.

this would definitely be one for @AlexTheGreatish and @jakkuh_t to take on.

Gaming on a potato.

Coming from the phrase that its so easy to run it could run on a potato. I want to see a computer powered by a potato (or like 100) and then from there running different games and building up to the point of seeing how many potatoes it would take to run Crisis or something crazy. Obviously there are a lot of directions you can go in with this from a little raspberry pi powered by potato to seeing if you can run a full gaming tower with like 200 of them.

I would just love to see this vid and think you guys are the right place for it. Keep up the great work.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

On 10/22/2019 at 4:19 AM, GreatWhiteWine said:

Good day to all of you!

Could we have more Vlog videos about the workshop, the new LAN center and a new, bigger, cleaner, better server room with a 100 petabyte of storage?

I know I am asking for a lot, but deep down you know I am right.

This! ☝️

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe

How about a video for AFOLs*?

A video on the 42100 or 42099 could be fun.

The "Tech Tips" part could be on how to "hack" CONTROL+ with a laptop, tablet or RasPi using LEGOs BLE wireless protocol documentation or an existing implementation like pyb00st.

Also interesting (and still tech-ish, although LEGO) would be a comparison between CONTROL+, Buwizz and SBrick.

*AFOL – adult fan of LEGO

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here,

it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Hey guys, love the content, been watching for a while now. What I'd like to suggest is this: 

You know when you shop for computer parts like mobos, graphic cards, ram etc, there's always a bunch of 1 star ratings from people who received DOA products. What I'd be interested in finding out is what is the ACTUAL failure rate for these computer products, and what manufacturers are better than others. Since people that receive DOA stuff are more likely to post a review, its hard to go by ratings in trying to determine failure rate.

Thanks for reading my suggestion! 

On 10/5/2019 at 3:56 PM, blumpy said:

Backup... Did you back up?  Yes... it didn't restore.... WTF

I would love to see an in-depth back software review.  When I say in-depth I meant run actual incremental back up, system-wide and restore.  

Most backup software will not backup everything.... and of course that means it will not restore everything.  AppData folder is a common one. Nothing seems to want to back it up or restore it and I have to wonder how many other folders will not backup or restore if you just backup your C Drive.  Which software backs up over a network. Incremental on bluray disc....why not.  Online backup.... LTO drives.... all of it.  

Additionally:

• An often underestimated point in a backup strategy is the sanity of the backup files and a regular checkup, if restoring files will actually work when needed.
  • backup (sort-term storage (weeks, months), regularly rewritten)  vs archive (long-term storage for your grand-grandchildren)

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here,

it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Can you make a video on the following

Dell xps 15 vs dell vostro 15 7590

Dell vostro 7590 is the cheaper brother of dell xps 15 with the same specs. 

Information is here https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-7590-laptop/xnber5cr656ps

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-vostro-15-7590-laptop/spd/vostro-15-7590-laptop/cav157w10pc1004

1 minute ago, mg7134 said:

Can you make a video on the following

Dell xps 15 vs dell vostro 15 7590

Dell vostro 7590 is the cheaper brother of dell xps 15 with the same specs. 

Information is here https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-7590-laptop/xnber5cr656ps

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-vostro-15-7590-laptop/spd/vostro-15-7590-laptop/cav157w10pc1004

Also give some detailed comparisons about it. 

I dont know if any one has said this but i think ltt should do a video on witch browser is actually the fastest. 

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • GPU
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card
  • Case
    Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
  • Storage
    Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive