Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

make a video on utilizing the framework main board and a external gpu to make a one of kind pc 

I would love to see content covering some Professional Audio Visual systems. I could definitely see a world where linus outfits his home with an Extron NAV system (AV over IP). There is a suprisingly large niche of highly computerized AV gear. Might even warrant a seperate channel. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, jkr4m3r said:

Has nothing to do with your original statement which I contested:

Sorry, case closed. Also, my personal experience: I was there. I was a young man just starting out in the business world. Unless the company was big enough to use a mainframe most were reticent to trust their valuable data to floppy drives. In the mid-80's I made pretty good cash servicing small office PCs as a side hustle.

Different world. You obviously weren't there.

I have edited my first post. Thank you for your help.

You NEED to check out Asahi Linux. Essentially, it's a way to run any Linux distro on Apple silicon. It even provides drivers for the gpu and has neural engine and touchbar support. It has been known to significantly increase performance compared to MacOS. The best part? Apple allows this to happen! They don't lock down alternative operating systems and kernels on Apple Silicon devices.

Oh, and one more thing: I will buy things from lttstore if you make a video on this. That worked on the wan show apparently.

Would be interested in an SC, likely with dennis, about the OSIM uThrone gaming chair with massage functionality, unless its the same chair as the Acer Predator that is
352269758_134489752993467_55051201942515

Hello LTT Community and Team,

Hope you're all doing fantastic!

I'm Harry, and I am currently working with a high-end luxury watch dealer. We're at an exciting juncture, considering moving to a larger office space. This new space would not only accommodate the primary business but also incorporate a multimedia production studio.

As we brainstorm this transition, it's become apparent that while our expertise lies in the intricate world of luxury watches, we could greatly benefit from a tech upgrade. I couldn't think of a better place than LTT to seek advice, given your deep knowledge in all things tech!

But here's a thought - how about we take this a step further? Given the unique nature of our business and the upcoming transition, it could make for an interesting video series. Imagine this - the intricate, analog world of luxury watches meeting the cutting-edge, digital world of epitomized tech. Quite the juxtaposition, don't you think?

The series could delve into the transformation of the office space, the creation of the production studio, and the introduction of advanced tech into our workflow. It would be a journey exploring how these two seemingly contrasting worlds - complex analog mechanisms of luxury watches and advanced digital mechanisms - can intersect and complement each other.

We think it's an exciting concept, and we hope you do too. But we would love to hear your thoughts, LTT team. And of course, everyone in this vibrant community, your insights and suggestions are always welcome!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

(LTT please DM me for more information)

Best Regards, Harry

There are lots of projects involving liquid nitrogen to cool PC components or submerging the computer entirely in some liquid medium like mineral oil. However I'm curious if anyone has tried running a regular air cooled PC using gases other than air. For example, what differences if any would there be of running a PC inside a space filled with different gases or mixes of gases: e.g. nitrogen, nitrox (like scuba divers), helium, etc.

In the same vein it would be interesting to see what differences might be observed with various hyperbaric and hypobaric environments. For example, benchmark a PC at ambient temperature and pressure and then run it inside a chamber to simulate operating at a different elevation.

https://www.sfu.ca/science/faculty-and-staff/facilities---services/hyper-hypobaric-chamber.html

For that matter, there might be some interesting human factors as well involving controlled alternative environments. For example, does a hyperbaric oxygen environment have any measurable affect on a person's ability to play a particular video game?

Streaming stick comparison

Amazon vs Roku vs AppleTV vs Chromecast vs nVidia Shield vs DIY (rPi)

Should focus on compatibility with home media servers (Plex/Jellyfin) 

Would like to see a distributed and long term review from staff. 

1 hour ago, Moberley said:

For example, benchmark a PC at ambient temperature and pressure and then run it inside a chamber to simulate operating at a different elevation.

As someone who lives at higher altitudes (we had the "two mile high statium" in high school), I would be very interested in this.

I recently found out about a really cool piece of technology made by OpenBCI called Project Galea. Seeing as the channel reviewed the Vision Pro, I feel like this would be a great video idea. Additionally the Neuralink BCI (brain-computer interface) chips have now been approved for human testing: that is another potential video idea.

Seems nobody has done this yet, compare benchmarks from every generation of Intel i9 to see which generations were the biggest leaps in performance. You could do the same for lower processor tiers as well. I was looking for this info and could not find a good source for it easily. 

Ok. I'm going to try this again, hopefully without saying something that others don't like. Maybe this isn't a Linus Tech Tips video idea, but maybe some other LMG video idea.

The essence behind the video idea is the history of computing. The video idea would be to take someone working at LGM, or a group of people there, and have them use an older computer (or computers) of some sort. Obviously the type of computer and its age would have to match the task that employee does at work.

For an example: I could be wrong here, but as I understand it, some of the first computing was done for scientific research and testing. Well, you have a lab, so why not try to compile some sort of test results on some sort of older computer, if that computer would have been used for that kind of stuff however many years ago. The idea would be to try to go back as far as possible, back when such and such was the one of the first computers that was typically used in a lab type of environment and show the differences between then and now.

Then maybe do part of the video with something newer for some other task. For an example: what was it like working with recorded video and audio media footage on the first computers that were typically used for that kind of stuff? (Hopefully this wasn't just yesterday when this started.) Maybe have an employee make part of the actual video using this, and share their thoughts with the differences between then and now.

One thing that could be part of the video, and as I understand it, is how people and companies had to make some of their own programs using BASIC. Take a programmer that has a task that wouldn't be too hard to do in BASIC and show how that would have been done. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that there was a time that the idea behind the computer was you get one to make your own programs.

The idea is to show appreciation for the history of the computer. What was it like back then? What do we owe to those who pioneered computing back in the day? How would things be different now if that part of history never happened?

Has anyone noticed the abundance of wireless android auto dongles on Amazon right now? There's a million different ones. I'd like to see a roundup video akin to the dash cam vid, comparing a bunch of them. I honestly want to buy one because my car only has wired android auto, and I want to know which one is actually decent.

I would love to see a video about the various different lighting and equipment LTT uses to film their videos.

A video behind live broadcasts would be interesting imo. sports broadcasting and the insane tech behind that, i think would make for a great video.

Since you have a video about buying used. How about a build with ebay parts that are a few generations old. RTX 2080, i7-9700K ETC

I want a month-long challenge where Linus and Luke can only game on pre-NES systems (emulators allowed).  They can play games for those systems released after the NES, as long as they stick to the old system/emulator.

Ideally you'd add a couple more people to the challenge (David and Emily seem like logical choices)  Obviously there's no network games they can play together, but there's plenty of 2 player and 4 player games you can play on Atari consoles, computers, commodores, and old arcade systems.  And playing together on a couch makes for better content anyway.

I think they'd learn a lot about older retro-gaming that you can't learn in a short review.  Some of these games had to be played for a longer time to really appreciate them.  A single player example is Star Raiders, which you can't really appreciate until you've played it long enough to get good at it.  Still some of the most exciting gameplay I've ever experienced (and I think this owes a lot to the damage simulation system).  There's also a lot of games that were objectively terrible unless you played them with other people, at which point they'd become amazing.  e.g. Archon was super hard against the computer, but so much fun 2-player.

I have an Atari 800 bias, and so would list these games for a start: Star Raiders, M.U.L.E., Boulder Dash, Archon, Lode Runner, Joust, Moon Patrol, Jumpman Junior, Miner 2049er, Blue Max, River Raid, Ballblazer, Boulder Dash, Rally Speedway, Pinball Construction Set, all the classics (Asteroids, Missile Command, Frogger, Centipede, Pole Position), the sports games (Tennis, Basketball).

I do remember on the C64, Racing Destruction set was pretty awesome.  Text adventures like Zork were all fun, and also fun played as a group.  I was always partial to the Scott Adams adventures (no relation to that jerky Dilbert guy).  There was also Music Construction Set which someone might enjoy tinkering with.

(Yes, this entire posting is my "old man yells at cloud" response to the channel almost always overlooking 8-bit gaming when they feature retro games.  Deal with it.)

Lower power Consumer NAS options prebuilt or DIY. Under 50W at load and 20W or lower at idle (HDD vs SSD). Does the software matter on power consumption. Economically available solar/battery pack to run the server, that would pay for itself in 5 years or under.

3 hours ago, T3chMonk3y said:

Lower power Consumer NAS options prebuilt or DIY. Under 50W at load and 20W or lower at idle (HDD vs SSD). Does the software matter on power consumption. Economically available solar/battery pack to run the server, that would pay for itself in 5 years or under.

Right on!

I am pretty sure that there are quite a few dads and moms working at LTT. Please please do a baby monitor review!!

Wifi / hybrid / basic? Whats pro's and cons

You could take one of the custom PC cases that are not for sale because they are made for prebuilts, empty it out and try to make your own pc build using that case.

There's this sort of obscure Chinese laptop brand called Chuwi. They've recently launched their own shop (instead of selling on Wish and AliExpress) and I think it'd be interesting to review one of their laptops, like their CoreBook X 2023 for example. They seem to look very good design wise, especially for their price (less than $500 dollars!). Little unsure on their hardware though!

I speak from personal experience, your case may differ from mine. Any input from me is not guaranteed to work.

Current PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 MOBO: Asrock A320M-HDV R4.0 (BIOS Version 7.0) RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz C16 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 ARMOR 6G OC PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 500W Case: Antec DP301M  SSD1: Kingston A400 240GB | SSD2: Crucial BX500 2TB | Keyboard: Trust GTX865 | Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro | Headset: Steelseries Arctis 1 Wireless

Portable:

Mobile: iPhone 13

Laptop: TBD

Any questions about any of my hardware? Feel free to ask.

An interesting idea would be talk to the techs on one of the research vessels out in the middle of the ocean like near Johnston atoll and how they get 4k video and data from the ROV 3000+ metres down back to their land station in Rhode Island USA for people to watch on youtube… and how they can have near instant chats in youtube comments. 

EV Nautilus is currently off of BC helping Ocean Networks Canada with some projects including early earthquake warnings using fiber optic cables on seafloor..

https://nautiluslive.org/science-tech click on Nautilus, ROV and Teleprescence

https://www.oceannetworks.ca/observatories/digital-infrastructure

IMG_6637.png

Greeting, Linus Media Group!

I wonder if you'd like to make a video about different solutions when it comes to storing your digital music. Either local or cloud storage which can be accessed from every device and in whichever quality one decides (kbps and format). I've been researching lately for alternative applications and services, but ultimately I would love to have a solution free of subscriptions where both the system and music is self owned. I've read that some people even used a Raspberry Pi to create a streaming server on which the content is located.

Me myself I have been using Spotify for the past 12 years. Don't get me wrong, I like using Spotify, but lately I've been urging to support my favorite artists more and have the ownership of my own music.

Maybe provide a few solutions aimed towards beginners, mederate and godlike tech nerds?