Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hello, I know that you like to do videos about NAS's, I think you like Unraid. My problem is I am totally a 66-year-old Newbe when it Comes to Linux and Unraid. I plan on building a NAS that is able to encode videos from scratch.

My current Build hardware is A old mid-size case, an old 735W power supply, and an old Blu-ray/DVD burner that can rip UHD Blu-rays.  New hardware ASRock B550 pro4 motherboard, A AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3D CPU, 32GB total of DDR4-3600 RipJaws ram four sticks, and four Toshiba NAS 6TBs hard drives For a Total of 24TBs I plan for one parity and three data drives, I have two 2T M.2 SSDs for Cache and whatever else.

And for Encoding an ASRock Challenger ITX Intel ARC A380, Or an old GTX 1060

I want to use UnRaid as I like its ability to add Hard drives to it in the future.

The reason I need a video is there may be a conflict between Unraid and Intel Linux drivers installation instructions I have been on Reddit and was directed to Unraid 6.12 Custom Kernel instructions, both sets of instructions require using Linus CLI commands I hoping for a video and a webpage with step by step instructions that are on a Newbie's level. I would also like to set up Docker and setup both Plex and TDARR to use the GPU for encoding.

Would love to see LTT covering SIGGRAPH again this year. As Emily said in last year's video, it's not your usual haunt, but Intel is going to be doing a presentation on their AI-enhanced high-efficiency path-tracing at SIGGRAPH this year, and I'd love to see some easily digestible coverage of that, as well as some visibility given to a bit of tech that I think has a lot of potential for making raytracing the actual future and not the overpriced gimmick that Nvidia and AMD have so far made of it.

Hopefully this hasn't already been suggested or even covered in a video already, I have looked quickly and not found anything, but I think an interesting video would be "Could you be your own ISP"

A good description of how ISP's work how they connect to each other and how if it's possible you could be your own ISP. Obviously the costs would be astronomical for an individual but is it possible and how to do it would still be interesting.

Came across this windows project where they are making security updates for95 nt4.0 xp and vista and the other abandoned Windows versions to keep them usable thought it could be a cool video for one of the channels 

http://windowsupdaterestored.com/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Edited by jonrosalia
Forgot some info on versions

Using a laptop as a console.

I just figured it out and it blew my mind. It’s possible because of two things.

1. Steam big-picture mode has gotten much better thanks to the Steam Deck. It now rivals a regular console experience.

2. Controller compatibility with current gen has gotten painless. It’s as simple as connecting via bluetooth and Steam recognizes it as what it is. You even get proper button prompts.

pros: Portability (important cause I travel). Playing on a tv from a couch (bliss). Having to buy games only once. Excellent controller support on most titles (some even have adaptive trigger support for ps5 controllers)

cons: No console-only games. A bit more janky than a modern console. Pricey since laptops have gotten expensive.

Anyways, I think more people should know about it!

What if you guys bought the cheapest homebrew gaming towers from Sketchy Advertisements. It would be just as fun on Facebook marketplace too. 

Hi LTT Gurus,

Not sure if its come up as a potential video but with recent AMD performance achievements, I have seen a lot of these new mini pcs (and now that Intel might be out of the NUC business) on amazon that look really cool for a small living (or any) room entertainment unit or small steam machine to play some light games. I have been curious about getting one but would love some Labs testing and LTT input about getting one. See this one here:

Beelink SER6 Pro Mini Computers| Mini Gaming PC 7735HS AMD Ryzen 7 8C/16T W11 Pro & 32GB RAM (DDR5 4800 MHz memory) 500GB NVMe SSD Desktop Computers, Wi-Fi6 BT5.2, 4K Triple Display, USB4 Support 8K 60HZ

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Computers-Equipped-Desktop-Display/dp/B0BBMRV5TN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GAS6JWTJ0UHC&keywords=mini+pc+beelink+gtr+7&psr=PDAY&qid=1689220184&s=prime-day&sprefix=mini+pc+beelink+gt%2Cprime-day%2C329&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5

Would love to see a video about this.

I know that Jake did a sorta similar video for the minisforum unit at Computex but would like some feedback on a unit like this.

Thanks!
Loving the content. 🙂

On 4/13/2023 at 8:37 PM, jkr4m3r said:

I would like to see a video on how to, or why aren't there...

...any android phones where you can hold the phone in portrait mode and take real landscape pics and videos. I tried an app that faked it, and it sucked. I should be able to hold my phone in portrait mode and simply press an on-screen toggle to make it actually record in whichever mode I want.

I think LTT should delve into why this isn't a hardware feature on smartphones.

BTW, did I mention portrait videos suck for 80% of situations? For me, anyhow.

The sensor of the camera is not designed to take landscape photos while in portrait. The camera sensor isn't just a square.

Hello LTT.

I've been trying to get in contact with someone at LTT for about a week to discuss a potential story, likely it'd be covered on WAN show if you took an interest. My preferred way to lay this all out would be via email, or via Discord, as (necessarily) I have to share some personal information / contact info in order to lay it out. Is there somewhere I could contact you?

-----
If not, here's a brief summary.

Sometime about a month ago, Youtube changed my handle on the website. They then assigned my handle to an inactive account, preventing me from resetting it to the one that I'd been using for the ~8 months that the handle system has been in place. As I'm just a regular youtube user, it took me over a week of searching to find a way to even raise a support ticket (youtube's support is incredibly bad) - but I did, and I've been locked in an email exchange for the last 2 weeks trying to resolve the issue. 

I'm now 40 emails deep, and I'm on my 5th youtube representative. Here's some highlights:

• Over half of the questions I've asked in emails have been ignored (usually because they're helpful to supporting my ticket)
  • Multiple times, different representatives have given me incorrect information about how youtube functions, blocking progress.
  • I've learned that, when critical account information on your youtube account changes (such as your username, channel name, or handle) youtube doesn't send you a confirmation email in order to verify the change
  • Worse, they don't send you a NOTIFICATION email either, so you might not even realize the change
  • Even worse, youtube reps tell me that they have no records of these changes internally.

Forgetting my individual case here, which is incredibly petty, this seems to represent a HUGE security problem with youtube's account system - if your account was compromised and details were changed, youtube wouldn't ask you to confirm anything, or notify you, or keep any records of what happened - and then reps would say "sorry, we don't see anything on our end!" and close your ticket.

Does this seem like the kind of thing you'd like to cover? Maybe I'm too close to this and frustrated, and it's not that big a deal, but it seems like a big deal to me. Please feel free to contact me to discuss.

Channel Idea: MemeLinked

Something of the sort of Pewdiepie's old Meme Review/You Laugh You Loose series. Given that the LMG crew has good taste in memes (or that's what they seem like on the videos), a channel engaging with the latest memes would be a nice substitute to people who want to stay in the memeloop without having to scroll for hours. An experimental shorts channel could work too.

To be clear, I don't mean just Tech memes or LMGverse memes, but memes in general

1. Making a home linux server which i can acess through terminal over the internet, can be done using anything and anywhere, windows laptop, on turmus on an android phone, even a steamdeck, and then you can technically do anything on that computer (say... start or stop a vs code server or changing anything on ur home network remotely). I just makes things easier and simple.

2. I would love an explaination video of what things on a router does what in detail. As not everyone is a Network engineer and do not exactly understand all the fancy things in that router settings page.

P.s. apart from the suggestions, I am an engineering student really looking for a good place to learn hands on. Does LTT have any openings for any interns by any chance which i can happily join. Doesn't have to be paid as long as its good learning opportunity.

I’m curious, especially with the audio testing gear you have, if you could review various concerts and club focused earplugs. 

I’ve got vibes ( https://www.discovervibes.com) and have been disappointed with them. They cut out the mids heavily. 

the Apple pro headbuds do better in active mode, but they still miss some of the intensity of the highs. 

https://eargasm.com/products/eargasm-high-fidelity-earplugs?variant=44602389791021 Is another product claiming to keep the fidelity while capping your exposure to the ear damaging volumes at concerts. 

I’d love a video going over the offerings of the market and data on which ones actually do what they claim. 

Hey Linus and friends, it's the summer and you know what that means; too warm.  I suggest you guys do something with computer chairs and water cooling. I've been planning on putting something together more as a joke just for myself to see how well it works. Water can run through the seat/back, with a radiator on the rear. Bonus points if it's made out of at least some computer parts as well. Just seems like a pretty simplistic video idea (execution might be not so simplistic depending) that would be highly relevant, especially to viewers who live in countries that don't use AC as much or at all really. Plus I imagine it's much harder to come up with stuff that isn't just CPU/GPU/Computer reviews/testing as well.

On 7/13/2023 at 12:35 AM, reflext said:

The sensor of the camera is not designed to take landscape photos while in portrait. The camera sensor isn't just a square.

Exactly my point. Why aren't there any?

Had this thought at work:

Hard Wear vs. Internet Speed (I'm unsure what to title it)

But, the idea is that the LabsTM would test out varying setups of differing internet quality/speeds as well as methods of delivering the internet Wi-Fi v. Wired compared to varying levels of quality of the rig the games are playing on to find that break-even point where it starts to have diminishing effects to keep pumping money into side vs. the other.

This is aimed more so at multiplayer games, and not single-player games (Can make a bit about the gamer who has a poor internet connection, letting his games download all day while he's at work so by the time he gets back home, they're ready to game)  so download speeds aren't the main subject of this video, it is talking more so about lag, dropping packets and dropping frames, (then can make a segway to our sponsor like "like how we'll drop this segway, to our sponsor!") after sponsor read Alex could show up with a whiteboard, explaining what the team is trying to do with a breakeven graph, X could be the power of the PC, with Y being the quality and speed of the internet, as it'd make no sense to have a baller PC with a 7900X3D and 4090 (as an example) but still have dial-up internet, but the inverce is true where it'd make no sense paying for a one gig fiber set up, but you're still gaming with an Intel® Core™ i5-4210H and a GTX 870 (as an example)

(Below as an example of a graph) 
Featured-Image-Excel-Template-Break-Even-Analysis-600x400@2x.thumb.png.b30773701ac0c9f63465f70550608e80.png

Then move to the Labs where Linus, as well as Alex get the stuff set up in the EMF Chamber, starting off with a good baseline of the average setup of a basic, off-the-shelf Router, average internet speed, and the average computer. Then the testing process starts by changing variables of internet speed, the method of its delivery, and the composites of the PC. Testing is done on games like Halo Infi, CS:GO, League, War Thunder, and more. Just the massive widespread multiplayer games that plenty of people use.

After that, Linus can be all excited about the results and show them off before getting serious and saying that if only that were the case, life isn't a clean testing environment with no obstructions. That's when Linus and Alex then show off a different round of testing, such as hanging a slab of drywall between the router and the computer to simulate a wall, showing what happens at 2.4 Ghz vs 5 Ghz, interference (if there's room to do that), multiple devices on the same network. 

Linus then talks about how he understands that not everyone can afford just to buy a fiber run to their home and game at the maximum speed or if they're even able to, such as people who are renting who may not be allowed to install new things into their home. Then talks about different methods you can do to try and squeeze the most out of your connection and different things you can do to try and maximize uptime and prevent that awful lag. Then roll to segway and wrap up the video. 

Just thought I had today at work, I personally think it'd be interesting to do and would be a great test of the EMC Chamber 

Hi, i have noticed that this 30th of July mark the 30 years anniversary of the release of Second Reality by Future Crew, released in 1993 and made the Demo Scene realise that IBM PC Clone with MS-DOS was the future for gaming after the demise of the Amiga Computer lineup. Since it was impressive has hell for 1993, it's probably the combo with Doom that segmented the market toward IBM PC Clone before Windows 95 was the final push.

It would be nice if you guys could make an homage for it, maybe even an interview with the og Finnish team of Future Crew and an history crash course about it in a video. That probably something i should had written 3 months in advance but forgot...

Something I've become very interested in is old/older games, and a huge issue is that there's not a lot of information on how to preserve/download & run/setup older games on modern operating systems or consoles. Namely, I wanted to play an old Jurassic Park game and it's no longer available on Steam, and physical copies (which are no longer produced) cost hundreds of dollars, so the only way for me to possibly play it is through old archives, most of which are malicious or broken. So if there was a really good all around guide on how to run, preserve, and use old software & games would be a lifesaver for not only me, but I feel like a lot of others as well.

I think it's really important that the topic of abandonware and everything around it should be covered as I feel it's not only wildly misunderstood ethically but also technically, so a video on it would be great.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

I have just found my unused Maxell Airstash from around 2011, this retailed for $179 and promised wireless sharing of SD card content including videos to your devices. 

Would happily send it in for you, as it was an interesting product. 

Details from their page:

airstash-1-400x400.jpg

Description

1.) Place files on Airstash. via SD card Slot

2.) Watch movies/songs on iphone/ipad/ android device, wireless

3.) You can upload and backup files from iphone/ipad/ android device to Airstash, wirelessly.

SPECIFICATION

Model: Airstash A02 Up to 2TB storage
7 Hour Battery life. Airstash will read/write on new SDXC cards up to 2TB.

Use the internet and airstash simultaneously whilst on your smart phone.

INFORMATION

Selected by Popular Science magazine as one of its 25 Hot products, Airstash is a pocketable wireless flash drive and media server that fulfills the iPad promise to “leave your laptop at home” by providing users with a fast and efficient way of sharing files between devices without iTunes or email.

Airstash is as versatile and simple to use as it is functional. Use it to save and share documents, stream media files, and view or import photos. And with Airstash’s long-lasting, rechargeable battery, you’ll enjoy up to 5 hours of uninterrupted access wherever you go.  In order words, Airstash is the iPad/iPhone accessory you’ve been waiting for!

The world’s only USB Flash Drive for iPad & iPhone

Stop emailing files to someone in the same room! Airstash lets you carry your files with you and share them between devices quickly and easily. Save and access files wirelessly, or plug Airstash into a computer’s USB port to drag-and-drop your files. It works with new nd existing apps including Apple’s pages, Keynotes and Numbers for iPad.

Premium Media Streaming

Store and stream HD video and Audio from your pocket. Airstash is a premium social multimedia server that gives you the freedom to enjoy movies, TV shows, and music wherever you are. It even allows you to share and play different media files on multiple devices simultaneously.

Easy Photo Importing

Viewing, sharing, and importing photos are simple with Airstash. Plug your camera’s SD card directly into Airstash’s SD card slot to quickly and easily transfer photos back and forth from your iPad, iPhone, or iPad touch. Plus, enjoy unlimited storage up to 32GB per SDHC card and 2TB with SDXC.

Access on the go

Turn your car into a media access point on your next road trip with an AirStash in the glove box. Serve music to the front seat and stream movies to the back seat at the same time. Let the kids choose their own movies or music to enjoy on their individual iPod touch devices. Take AirStash on your next camping trip off the beaten path while still enjoying wireless access to your media library. AirStash makes its own network, so you don’t need to be tied to one. Review files or kick back and relax at 30,000 feet when you bring AirStash on a WiFi allowed flight.

No Internet access Required

Expand and share without worrying about bandwidth, coverage, outages, or cloud failures. AirStash does not require an existing WiFi hotspot or 3G wireless service. (We’d show a map for that, but it would be solid green!) With so much convenience for about the same cost as one month of iPhone service, why not?

THE MUSIC PRODUCTION PC!!

Sanjay C just released a video of his music production PC build, but I would REALLY like to see the "LTT Music Production PC"!

Linus has even hinted to a build like this before, but no video yet.

A suggestion for an Alex's crazy cooling systems.

Make a bladeless ionic fan as powerful as you can safely made it.

Multiple staged ionic bladeless fans can move a hefty ammount of air. 

https://youtu.be/AJD_fiHleRM

So I have an idea unsure if its been done but it popped into my head so the idea is are fans with rgb less affective compared to ones that don't as the rgb lighting could potentially produce small amount of heat.

I think it would be funny to do a video on say Channel Super Fun where it is like "What LMG staff does when Linus and Yvonne are gone" and its the staff just building wacky pcs or playing with weird pieces of tech. Or like using a pc to run a smart pizza oven for the staff. Just fun, light-hearted content like that.

Hello!

Was suggested to put my idea here after I asked it as a merch message a while ago. 

Could LTT do more coverage on tools for disabled people that can be 3D printed or are tech related? There is no representation that I have seen in terms of disability in tech but there are so many solutions that someone in tech could easily find!

For example, there are a bunch of 3D printing projects that help both disabled people and the everyday person, but most people don't know about them. For example, ever have a high fever and fight for your life to open a NightQuill tablets? There is a 3D printed tool that will open blister packages for you. 

With the wide audience of LMG it would reach so many people who if they don't need these items themselves, they can make them for their loved ones that are disabled or elderly. It would also be amazing if these kinds of things could be mass produced and sold on the store, or maybe even a page with all of the free print files for the items that can be 3D printed. 

TLDR basically please bring some disability rep in tech to the community!!

I have this silly idea for a build but I am not talented enough to pull it off.

In the near future I am expecting to be traveling a lot for work. I don't mind working off a laptop, I just need additional monitors to be more efficient at what I do. Also I need something that is convenient for travel.

I had this idea of getting a nuc, monitors, keyboard and mouse, to mount inside a brief case. That way when I get to a hotel I can have a rapid deploy workspace. Where I open up the suit case slide the two monitors out and get to work or gaming.

More recently I had the idea of using Framework pieces to mount in the suit case that will be slimmer. 

Other thoughts I had was making a storage spot for a mobile hot spot and a space to lock in my samsung t7 external ssd. Possibly find space for a controller.

Ideally everything will be pre-wired so you only have to plug in the suitcase to power everything else.

I like the idea of using Framework supplies to keep it upgradeable in the future.

Hello,

I would love to see you guys do a walk through to build a DIY home server/NAS for $500~ Canadian (Not including storage). Maybe a TrueNAS Core or Scale server and walk through a how to set it up for anyone new to the world of servers/NAS devices and maybe talk about the benefits of a home server/NAS.

Note: I know there are plenty of great home NAS solutions such as Synololgy, but I would love to see a DIY build with the DNA of a LTT "first time user walk through". 

Kind Regards