Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I'd like to see a video showing off the Sony Access Controller vs the Xbox Adaptive Controller. Show off their capabilities/differences, ease of use etc. 

Would love to see Linus and Alex build their own external GPU dock for a video. Would be neat to see how easy or hard it would be to start with say an off the shelf mini-itx case and mod it to function as an e-GPU dock. 

Desktop: Ryzen 9 7900x, Optimus Foundation waterblock, ASUS ROG B650E-F Gaming Wifi, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36, 2TB Samsung 980Pro, EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Black Gaming, EVGA SuperNova 1000W P6, 18TB WD Red Pro

Plex Media Server: Ryzen 9 5950x, Noctua NH-D15, ASUS Pro-WS X570-ACE, 96GB ECC DDR4 3200Mhz, EVGA 3060ti XC3 Ultra, EVGA SuperNova 850W G6. 2x 10TB WD Black, 2x 18TB WD Red Pro, 3x UHD friendly blu-ray drives, LSI 9300i-8i SAS card

I'd also like to see a 'How to build a PC, the last guide you'll ever need!' video but about making a DIY NAS. Wouldn't need to be as long, but explaining what specs a NAS needs to focus on and why it needs those specs. 

Can you guys do a video about iPhone port cleaning tools? My iPhone 12 has a bunch of dust and lint in both the speaker grills and the lightning port. There's tons of tools on Amazon but what one should I pick? What ones are good and what ones are a scam?

Home NAS Build and Setup Guide (incl. TrueNAS)

I would love to see an "Everything you need to know" for building/setting up/maintaining a home NAS. I remember a while back you were talking about the possibility of such a video and from just searching for "NAS" in this thread it seems to be very often suggested/requested. (I'll quote the two most recent ones from today below).

What I would like to see (not sure if everyting makes sense and I might miss some things):

• What do you have to look out for when choosing components, eg. important CPU specs, Motherboard requirements, if ECC memory is such a big deal for a home NAS, how many drives and which drives (HDD for storage, SSD for read/write cache), hot/warm/cold spares, options for low, medium and high budget, ...
  • Differences in RAID setups: which ones are recommended and their differences (eg. I know of RAID 0, 1, 4, but I think TrueNAS also has more specific ones(?))
  • TrueNAS CORE (which is the most used/recommended one, I think?): How to set it up, What different settings do, what to look out for, settings for different use-cases, differences to TrueNAS Scale and when to use that, ...
  • Backup Solutions: Tools for sync, if off-site backups are typical or overkill for a home NAS, ...
  • Maintenance: replacing disks, Storage expansion, ...
  • Using the NAS also for running Docker containers, as Plex/video server, ..., and how to adjust the components/settings for such cases.

I know that Linus is quite excited for a new NAS OS that is currently in development, so I can understand, if you want to wait for that. However it feels like that might take a while, so maybe you could do a video about this first, with an update on the new OS when that comes out. I would imagine most things won't change.

I hope you can make something of this. I'm looking forward to seing a video on this.

(I might update the list, if I remember some more things)

(Please excuse grammatical errors, English is not my first language)

9 hours ago, Buzznewman21 said:

Hello,

I would love to see you guys do a walk through to build a DIY home server/NAS for $500~ Canadian (Not including storage). Maybe a TrueNAS Core or Scale server and walk through a how to set it up for anyone new to the world of servers/NAS devices and maybe talk about the benefits of a home server/NAS.

Note: I know there are plenty of great home NAS solutions such as Synololgy, but I would love to see a DIY build with the DNA of a LTT "first time user walk through". 

Kind Regards 

5 hours ago, Thysios said:

I'd also like to see a 'How to build a PC, the last guide you'll ever need!' video but about making a DIY NAS. Wouldn't need to be as long, but explaining what specs a NAS needs to focus on and why it needs those specs. 

Hey LTT, I'm a fan of all the crazy CPU cooling videos! Have you guys ever considered cooling with solvents in combination with dry ice or liquid nitrogen? For example, Novec 7100 is a non-flammable, non-toxic, non-conductive solvent. Importantly, it is liquid at room temperature and remains liquid down to -135 °C when combined with LN2.

The benefit of using solvent/LN2 mixtures like this instead of straight LN2 (which would be colder, at -196 °C) is that the cooling capacity of LN2 is greatly diminished by the Leidenfrost effect, since its boiling point is so low. Meanwhile, Novec 7100 has a boiling point of +61 °C, so this is not a problem. Furthermore, Novec has a much higher heat capacity than LN2. All things considered, the actual heat transfer may be dozens of times better.

The setup would be very similar to a LN2 cooling setup with a pot heatsink, like the 6.9 GHz overclock video you guys did. In fact, the bottom contact geometry of the pot likely doesn't have to be nearly as complicated. The major difference is that you'd fill the pot maybe 20-50% full with Novec before adding LN2 in portions. The goal is to add the LN2 at a steady pace such that there is always a slurry of frozen solvent present - you shouldn't let it either fully freeze or fully melt. It could help to have some gentle overhead stirring going on to maximize heat exchange between the CPU, Novec and LN2. By the way, the Novec remains fully reusable, as it is completely non-reactive and can be easily separated.

As I'm sure you're aware, Novec is suitable for immersion cooling (der8auer did it), and in theory you could even just pour LN2 into a vat of Novec with a sunk mobo at the bottom. It's likely that waterproofing components wouldn't even be necessary in this case, because Novec does not mix with water and is ~50% denser, so condensed water/ice would stay floating on the surface of the Novec and would never actually reach the mobo. That said, this strategy would probably require a ton of LN2 to bring down to temperature.

There may be even better options for the solvent, though Novec 7100 already seems pretty up there. I'm a professional chemist who has worked for years with cryogenic solvent baths and I'm happy to provide more details if necessary.

I watched this video and it talks about shady things WD is doing, apparently they are slapping WD Red NAS drive labels on less reliable models. and all WD Red drives will throw up a warning if 3 years of uptime is detected on the drive. I know you guys have called out companies in the past when they pull anti consumer shenanigans like this and I love it when you use your platform so people can make informed decisions does so much good for the tech community. I figured this was worth one of you seeing if you wanted to make your own vid.

Hey Linus. Please do a video on all these 95% real but fake earbuds (like airpods or galaxy buds). They are so so similar to the originals that 95% of buyers on FB marketplace would not even know. I got scammed twice and I checked the serial numbers on these airpods pro 2s and apple's website said it was covered by apple care. I have these fakes with me if you would like them, I live in Vancouver. I think this video will be extremely important educating the masses about these scams (and the prices were only 100$ less than the MSRP).

Video/collab idea: Go to the Alveus Sanctuary (https://www.youtube.com/@AlveusSanctuary) owned and created by Maya Higa (https://www.twitch.tv/maya) to help install/configure the best internet/live streaming hardware and software for their specific needs (= continuous IRL streaming on vast land, inside and outside buildings). And also introduce the animals to Linus.

Hey linus i was wondering if you could make a vehicle turbo intercooler system somehow working on a computer

A similar investigation into 12/13th gen cpu lag/delay/stutter compared to 9/10th gen etc.

Tech Yes City already covered it. But seems like the issue could use some more exposure.

Alex's EV reviews have been fairly good, as he seems to find the same gripes I do with most of them. Yes, the tech is cool, but when it starts getting in the way instead of being helpful, it needs to go (especially having to go into menus to change the aircondition settings or heated seats). More of those!

If at all possible, I'd like to see what he has to say about the BMW i5 when the press cars are going out.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, MrFixitBlankFace said:

How about if Linus and the staff would have a video on a building competition.   Who can build a rig fastest?   Using the parts of thier choice.   

Winner gets to play games.

Wait...they already do.

Winner chooses the reward!

The winner gets the keep the Pc they built, so its a balance between nice water cooling and expensive time investment parts and a cheap, quick, dirty and easy build

As i understood UDP sends data quick but sloppily and doesn't verify if it arrived unlike slower but more data preserving TCP. So far in my early freenas and proxmox tinkering i haven't dared to use UDP but it made me wonder if there could be entertaining results if UDP was used to send entire OS or some software and games that might get very buggy if some bit was lost.

Maybe have sort of  competition using different potential data protective measures to send as much as possible through UDP with different teams using different methods to send entire OS and/or games and see who wins more game matches (nonfunctional game data would be point lost). Meanwhile problematic things that might disrupt signals could be tried for some rounds like maybe running microwave oven or tesla coil or plasma ball or having fire (due to plasma) near wifi antennas.

First time posting! I had an idea for the team to do a video on work-from-home setups. They could do maybe a low-budget/high-budget version or even Mac/Windows options. Possibly incorporate a way to have your gaming computer use the same monitor and peripherals. (My current set up lol)

Just a few ideas

• Suggested docking stations
  • Monitors
  • Desks
  • Ergonomic peripherals,
  • What to ask for in a work laptop
  • Zoom/Teams Call improvements

Not sure if this is the right format or not. Please let me know if I need to change anything. 

I would be curious to get the team's take on the IBM i (AS400). Pretty much a PC esque version of a mainframe. I recently started a new position at my company and had never used an IBM system before. Definitely has a vintage feel, a completely different type of computer and environment even though its a modern system. You can get a free public account at PUB400 to play around with it, if you front $30 for a mochanet 5250 emulator.

16 hours ago, Single Core said:

A similar investigation into 12/13th gen cpu lag/delay/stutter compared to 9/10th gen etc.

Tech Yes City already covered it. But seems like the issue could use some more exposure.

I would like to second the motion for this. With the resources at LTT's disposal, and perhaps some collab with Brian, I really do think this information needs to be out there if it is validated/confirmed by the lab.

Review 2023 version of ASUS Flow X16, with 240hz display and i9 13900H.

It's very unique because its the only top-of-the-line specced, yet foldable touchscreen laptop.

It lends itself very well for playing CSGO, because when folded it doesnt take up much desk space and I can use peripheral keyboard/mouse comfortably.

My questions before I can commit are

1) whether the i9 13900H is good enough for 240hz CSGO gaming, and

2) whether I should choose the X16 with a Mini LED panel or an IPS panel (see screenshot), given that I purely want to optimize for high refresh-rate CSGO gaming. https://prnt.sc/ML9e3ruHKbMH - full side by side comparison from ASUS's website: https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-flow/rog-flow-x16-2023-series/wtb/

Thanks for considering!

Looking into Car Stereo Head Units.

The market for Head Units is full of cheap android auto that say they are carplay compatible.

The statement of Carplay compatibility is either false or not working very well.

Most are are slow, cheap and expensive for no reason.

You could talk about the following:

• Quality vs Prices
  • Android Auto vs Carplay functionnalities
  • Cheap vs Expensive
  • Aliexpress/Temu/AnyOther vs Stereo Shop/Known Brand
  • What makes a good Car Stereo Head Unit (components, apps, compatibility, install process, software, etc)

Stumbled upon this portable monitor from ASUS, but couldn't find any reviews on it. The monitor is called ASUS ZenScreen MB16QHG.

Specs which I found interesting are:

2560x1600(16:10), 120Hz, HDR10, 100% DCI-P3, 5ms response time and a full HDMI 2.0 port.

(Other interesting specs might be: 2x USB C with DP, USB PD, 16" display, 83.5% screen to body ratio, 8bit color depth, Vesa DisplayHDR 400, 500 nits, 1200:1(static) and an Audio-Out port.)

Edited by UFAIL
(Sorry, had to edit out the HDR10. The site where I got my info from listed it in one of the specs. But I included some other specs instead.) Sorry, for the second edit. Looked at the german specs site of it and it turns out, that it does support HDR10.

A video on the Audeze Maxwells seem like an amazing deal for magnetic planar headphones. Want to see what the team’s opinion on them, maybe just a tech linked video or even main channel.