Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I think all big YT channels are really missing the mark on who to inform about specs of a new thing. Say we have 4060 ti. If we see rasterized performance to it's price competitors alone it really says nothing. 

Please, please, please LABS!!! include the 1080p and 1440p at least with a few generations older hardware as well. 4060 vs 980 ti is a relevant battle in eyes of the consumer. Having those old cards (old high end cards) are a good reference point for a loooooooooot of people whether to buy a think or not. 

I'm really surprised that none of the big time youtubers don't take this into account.

Many times it's mentioned that 1060 (3 or 6gb) is one of the most common GPUs out there. It's weird that we are not informed about how much of a difference it would make if we bought the sorry 7600 for instance.

Could you guys do more car reviews where you focus on the tech/comfort?  I'm hoping that you could shame some of these manufacturers into upping their game.  My previous car, for example, a 2017 Infiniti Q50S I believe had an Intel Celeron running the head unit.  You can guess that it didn't have the snappiest response time.  Also the BOSE stereo was not impressive for a car at that price point.  Also my wife's Hyundai tucson had quite a bit of road noise when going on the highway. 

I enjoyed your video on dash cams and wish you guys continue to do more videos on car accessories.  Perhaps do a video on how to install carplay or android auto into a vehicle that didn't come equipped with it. 

Get/preview a CocoaPress, its a 3d printer that prints chocolate and is way better than the one you did last time. Its quite small but an awesome piece of tech.

Something I see very little about on youtube but I have to imagine many gamers are interested in is the sound profile of mice. The sound from my gaming is driving my Fiancé insane, much as it had my roommates of the past. When I got to figure out the best quiet mouse, there is very little information out there. There are some quiet productivity mice, but little on how they perform, and various claims about different gaming mice, but nothing measured or comparable. Is the only option for a gaming mouse to custom solder a switch? This would be an awesome thing for labs to produce. Thanks!

There is a lot of online scams and other tech related scams that target vulnerable persons such as elderly or financially desperate. Have you looked at doing videos with the latest internet/technology scams? Something that is informative and even to the level that a viewer could put a family member (elderly person) Infront of the computer and have them watch the video to teach them about the latest scam.

Thanks.

What do you think of a showdown between maps apps? Get a few people to compete in a geocache-like scavenger hunt with some weird roads, traffic, etc. around BC, and pit the top contenders for maps and direction against each other: Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps, Garmin, Petal Maps, a local who knows the area, the built-in car navigation, what about Tesla's maps? See who is able to complete all of the objectives first, given some constraints like you have to follow the map 1:1 and obey speed limits.

I always see articles like "Forget Google Maps, this app has a special feature" and I always think there's no way that it could catch on. But could it?

It would certainly take some research from writers to pull this off and find what everyone uses for navigation.

But for many people who run both Google Maps and Waze on Android Auto and their phone screen at once to get a few sources of information, I think that this would be an informative and super entertaining (with POV of each person, complaining, etc.) video and I'd love to see this topic put to rest.

I want to see a video going over the equivalent gaming PCs at the start of each console generation. It'll be interesting to see the PC hardware at the time compared to the consoles.

I would love to see some kind of rundown on how much performance a CPU or GPU is delivering pr. watt consumed. Performance pr. dollar is one thing, put it's a one-time payment. Total Cost of Ownership is an entirely different thing

is it possible to mod a lian li uni fan with noctua fan?

I would love for an in depth video for the Homey Pro 2023 home hub. 

I have a graphics card (Gigabyte 3080 Ti oc edition) that I tried to buy used. Dude "didn't know" any information upon asking what was wrong with it. He turned out to be a scammer and I asked the app I have purchased through (app where people can list used items to sell, not naming names) and they took the sellers word over mine. Oh well, I have learned. So now I have a pretty pricy paperweight. I have a card that will not power on at all and looks like nothing is wrong with it, I can send it to you and you can do whatever, part it out, find what's wrong, fix it up, anything. I just want this e-waste to be put to good use. 

Why are Manufacurers not slapping USB C on everything inside the computer? Sure it might be a bit more expensive but wouldn't the tradeoff make sense?

No more Molex, no more 200 Pin Adapters and so on.

Why is this not a thing?

Hi there,

Linus Tech Tips has been a great source of learning and I have enjoyed for many years the sharp thinking of the LTT team. My digital thing is exploring what sustainable computing looks like. I work with a range of thinkers looking at how unnecessary data transmission can be limited, how less energy can be used on a day to day basis, and how to optimise hardware and extend it's lifespan. I would love to (and think it would be really interesting to a LOT of people) hear how the LTT team approach the challenge of sustainable computing - just how sustainable can a user make their computers and related videos.

Please do consider this, at least over coffee in the chill staff moments. I suspect that you'd come up with some powerful thinking which I would share with students.

Hat's off to you all

Alex

Would love to hear your thoughts on Apollo for Reddit being shut down due to Reddit's asking price for using of their API. 

Cheers

When will LTT do a video on reviewing Brave Browser just like you reviewed Opera Browser few years ago in Gaming Web Browser video?

I paid $450 for an ASUS ROG Z790-E Wifi with an ALC4080 CODEC running Windows 11 specifically to push my 7.1 speakers in games, ,music, and video.  I use the 7.1 analog surround speakers connected to the analog ports on the rear of the board.  The surround works fine, BUT the drivers provided by ASUS have no Speaker Fill enhancement to widen stereo to playback stereo audio through all the horns, this has been a standard enhancement in all my previous 7.1 capable ASUS boards going back as far as my old Crosshair Formula IV.  There is an UPMIX option in the ASUS Sonic Studio but this is not Speaker Fill, OH NO! it runs some crazy algo that tries to convert the stereo channels to surround making the audio sound like something out of a horror movie.  I can’t find a good 3rd party solution for this, I do see a lot of misleading threads trying to get people do download what is likely malware to resolve this. I have contacted ASUS multiple times but they act like it is perfectly ok to give you drivers that don’t actually provide access to all the enhancements needed to push your 7.1 speakers.

Can you guys please do a spot on this issue maybe it will make ASUS get off the couch and actually fix the driver, seems like ASUS used to be the shit but NOW is going to shit, there is a good population of people out here that still have 5.1 and 7.1 speakers who would like very much to use those speakers when streaming music and stereo video?  Feeling a bit ripped off by ASUS at this point.

ASUS ROG Z790-F Wifi with an ALC4080 CODEC

Nvidia RTX 4080 FE

3th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K

Thermalright CPU retention bracket

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE Air Cooler

2 x 1TB WD Black SN850X SSDs

Corsair RM850x

Corsair DDR5 5600 2x16 32GB

Lian Li Lancool 216

LG Ultragear 27GL850-B

Creative Inspire P7800 7.1 Surround Speakers

Windows 11 Pro, 22H2, Build 22621.1778

Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0

Realtek Semiconductor Corp Drivers V6.3.9600.2342

Sonic Studio 3 Version Number 3.16.23.0

No Speaker Fill Option anywhere to be found.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Would be cool if LTT did a video guide on this great piece of open source audio software.  :old-cool:

Equalizer APO: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Peace EQ GUI: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

HeSuVi: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/ For Headphones.

AutoEQ: https://autoeq.app/ To make Headphones sound better by selecting your Headphone Model, then selecting Equalizer APO or Peace in app section, and then downloading the AutoEQ preset .txt file for your Headphone Model to load preset in Equalizer APO or Peace or HeSuvi.

5 hours ago, sparking_ said:

When will LTT do a video on reviewing Brave Browser just like you reviewed Opera Browser few years ago in Gaming Web Browser video?

that was sponsored by Opera, or whoever tf bought opera at the time

52 minutes ago, sparking_ said:

Would be cool if LTT did a video guide on this great piece of open source audio software.  :old-cool:

Would be but myself and alot of others don't really want to learn to script we just want the option to enable and disable Speaker Fill.

speaker fill.jpg

1 hour ago, sparking_ said:

Equalizer APO: https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Peace EQ GUI: https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

HeSuVi: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/ For Headphones.

AutoEQ: https://autoeq.app/ To make Headphones sound better by selecting your Headphone Model, then selecting Equalizer APO or Peace in app section, and then downloading the AutoEQ preset .txt file for your Headphone Model to load preset in Equalizer APO or Peace or HeSuvi.

I looked into Equalizer APO a few weeks back as a possible solution, to me it seemed high risk of downloading malware if trying to use this software alot of very questionable links to plugins for it that could also be riddled with malware.

Seems like multiple brands are marketing at computex similar interconnected fans.  Is there specific sub components or patents that is enabling this recent innovation? 

Could be an interesting story to look deep into the business and technology of the innovation of fans and what is driving it.

2 hours ago, John1272 said:

I looked into Equalizer APO a few weeks back as a possible solution, to me it seemed high risk of downloading malware if trying to use this software alot of very questionable links to plugins for it that could also be riddled with malware.

Didn't sourceforge website stopped doing that long time ago? If only Equalizer APO, Peace and HeSuVi were hosted on Github instead.

Use Ublock Origin Extension and NoScript Extension before visiting sourceforge website. Everyone should have these two extensions installed in every browser to avoid malwares.

VirusTotal links: Seems like false positive, detected by obscure antiviruses. Bitdefender and Kaspersky detected nothing.

Equalizer APO: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/2b21e6303beec2be165dd36917113d774356d9818c69f0b22550f5d938c4481a

HeSuVi: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/a31774714d8f7a87ae4fd5bdbaa4bfa294a808296bdcc9e9935da4b427a601ba

Peace EQ: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1e2c5efda2b56843cf1850540ea1512701a9e2f24b0c1db6071a525ad75fe225

A while back, you guys took a look at an Eve monitor. I believe the 4k model you took a look at has more-or-less shipped to everyone who ordered, but I think it would be a good idea to do a follow-up piece on what's happened to people who reserved the 1440p, 240hz model.

I paid $100 to reserve the monitor and lock in a lower price back on 2/1/2020... more than 3 years ago. Since then, the company has repeatedly pushed back their ship date. At one point, they sent out emails requesting payment in full because the orders would be shipping imminently. They told everyone they didn't have to pay before 3rd party reviews came in, but, if they didn't, their orders would ship behind everyone else who did paid sooner. Thankfully, I opted to wait. The company has since changed its name to Dough, and my Eve login no longer works, so I cannot view my order on their site. It's been quite a while since they sent an email with any progress update for the 1440p model and they have begun hyping a new, OLED model already.

3 years and 4 months later, I do not think a single person has received the 1440p model. The $100 pre-order came with the promise that it could be cancelled and refunded at any time. Turns out that, too, was a lie. In order to put in a request for a refund, I had to make a new account with Dough. I put in a request for a refund, and was told their old payment processor will not process the refund. They then asked me to email to them, in plain text, my bank account details so they could send me a direct deposit. I declined and asked to be mailed a check or paid via paypal, venmo, etc. Since then, radio silence. Some Googling tends to show that even those who did send their bank account info frequently are not being refunded.

I'm not optimistic that anyone in my situation will get their money back (my bank was, understandably, like "lol you waited 3 years, we can't do anything."). But I think it would be a good PSA to warn people against spending money with this company in the future.

Don't know if this has been suggested (or even covered) before, but here goes:

Why does the under screen fingerprint sensor on my phone not work with dry skin?

I didn't have any issues with my old pixel 3a which had a fingerprint sensor on its back.

But I just got the new pixel 7a and sometimes the fingerprint sensor just doesn't work. I've scanned my thumb in as three different fingers in case I'm missing "the spot". And after googling it, turns out it may have trouble with dry skin. And sure enough, after licking my finger the sensor works every time. Though this is obviously not a good solution to the problem.

I wouldn't say my hands are particularly dry, really. But apparently dry enough to affect the sensor.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience. So it may just be me.

So this is not a video suggestion per se but rather a content suggestion.

You're doing quite some destructive testing at LTT labs as far as I followed. But what about NDT? In particular xray or ct scanning hardware and all that stuff. Just like GN did with their fried 7800x 3D.

I'm a rad tech so I do x rays and ct scans quite regulary. This is nothing special. At least when it comes to humans. You can get mobile x-ray units and even ct scanners pretty cheap (at least the x ray ones). Though I'm not quite sure how regulatory affects the use of those in Canada.

Anyways - I'd love to see some NDT done. Be it x ray or ct scanning. I know this works because I've scanned my phone and stuff more than once for testing purposes 😄 Maybe consider this for LTT labs? 🙂