Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Am I missing something?

Did you make this thread to all of us, or are you just calling out one individual person (whoever Jurie is).

As far as A linux gaming pc goes, any pc can become a "linux gaming pc" all you have to do is install whatever distro one prefers, then install wine, winetricks, & steam. A few tweaks required like enabling proton compatibility inside steam, and then you're off to the races.

*edit*

After looking up that specific PC, for something old like that, don't expect to be able to play modern day games on it. Best case scenario older, lightweight games like TF2, CSGO, and things of that sort. As far as distros, something that old would work well with something based on Debian, the newly released Debian 12 being a good choice.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

4 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

As far as A linux gaming pc goes, any pc can become a "linux gaming pc"

I believe they did a typo and meant "Linus" instead of "Linux".

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

Am I missing something?

Did you make this thread to all of us, or are you just calling out one individual person (whoever Jurie is).

As far as A linux gaming pc goes, any pc can become a "linux gaming pc" all you have to do is install whatever distro one prefers, then install wine, winetricks, & steam. A few tweaks required like enabling proton compatibility inside steam, and then you're off to the races.

*edit*

After looking up that specific PC, for something old like that, don't expect to be able to play modern day games on it. Best case scenario older, lightweight games like TF2, CSGO, and things of that sort. As far as distros, something that old would work well with something based on Debian, the newly released Debian 12 being a good choice.

He's Jurie. He means Linus not Linux 

It's obviously a 9 year old using dads computer. 

3 minutes ago, igormp said:

I believe they did a typo and meant "Linus" instead of "Linux".

2 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

I see.

On that topic then, me personally I don't want to see anymore Linux content from Linus. Maybe if it's helmed by someone else at LTT, but me personally I'm tired of seeing him shitting on Linux, either passively or directly with the things he says and does.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

7 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

I see.

On that topic then, me personally I don't want to see anymore Linux content from Linus. Maybe if it's helmed by someone else at LTT, but me personally I'm tired of seeing him shitting on Linux, either passively or directly with the things he says and does.

He's not talking about Linux my guy. You gotta read between the typos and bad grammar. 

It's some kids first day on the internet and he is asking Linus Sebastian of LTT to personally upgrade his system for him. 

30 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Non native English speaker perhaps?  I can go either way.

Who hasn’t made a “turn an office PC gaming PC” video at this point?

Green Ham Gaming and Phil’s Computer Lab thrive on that content. Craft Computing has revisited the topic many times as well. 

Linus has done it several times. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

You guys could do a video on how it is to code video games, for anyone interested in getting into the business.

For example, you could code a simple side scroller of Linus running away from Dennis while trying to reach the sponsor of each level.

Hi, I have an abnormally large head and would like to volunteer to be a guinea pig for testing any headset, headphones, hats, etc. you might want to review with regards to comfort.  If this is something you're interested in, please let me know.  I do have the ability to travel to Vancouver as needed.  I am happy to share details and my personal story that prompted this post with staff via private messages.

All the best, Gimrall.

On 6/18/2023 at 2:24 PM, jkr4m3r said:

There was no home computing 50 years ago.

Deleted.

Edited by Issac Zachary
Incorrect information, my bad.

9 hours ago, GreenKuif said:
@juriepretorius461719 minutes ago

Hi Linux I like to see you make a office i5 2gen 4 core PC into a gaming PC what can run new games in high resolution graphics very good , now this is my challenge from Jurie to you, thank you and it's a real challenge for you, by the way if there is somebody who can do it it is you cuz I don't know anyone else.

Merged to video suggestions thread.

7 hours ago, Hexxagone said:

You guys could do a video on how it is to code video games, for anyone interested in getting into the business.

For example, you could code a simple side scroller of Linus running away from Dennis while trying to reach the sponsor of each level.

Wouldn't you want such content from actual game devs over people who can't code simple Websites? And just writing code wouldn't work as LTT style video anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I was just at the Vivatech Conference and found a really cool STEM education tool,
its a kinesthetic way to engage in all sorts of STEM topics for all ages from primary to tertiary 
link to the website here 

I've been in contact with the CEO and CTO post conference so happy to get anyone from the writing team directly in touch if there's interest
Its kind of hard to fully summaries how it works without seeing it but the jist is it uses a projector and physical almost building blocks to let you build for example a mechanical truss system on a 2d plane and then physically push it and then see the forces change live through the projection onto the   object you're pushing,

the reason I think it could be a great video is it explains itself visually when you use it or see it being used, its all about stem education and accessibility which is a subject I feel both the LTT community and the LTT team feel passionately about.

there is also some cool tech behind it, I can picture in my head Linus taking apart the projector/camera setup and digging into all the hardware aswell as a engineering writer/host like Alex trying to test really complex physical systems or 3d printing new "building blocks" to add functionality

For context, I don't work for this company but I do desperately want to, like I said earlier I'd love to put anyone interested in contact with the right people at the company and I have more details about the product I can provide in a less public place : )

grasp it.jpg

On marketplace someone (Not me)  is selling a Nvidia Project Shield Developer Kit in Vancouver and with you guys doing these types of videos with developer consoles I thought you might be intrestested

The link is here.

Product photo of Ultra Rare Never Released Nvidia Project Shield Developeer Kit - $999

Not a request for a new video, but can y'all use the LTT theme song and opener a little more?  It's a nice neat musical punctuation that seems to be not-as-present anymore.

Idea for a short video - saving on loads of different RGB control software by hooking up your proprietary RGB stuff to the ARGB headers on your motherboard using Dupont cables.

Most of these 'proprietary' RGB solutions are really just ARGB with a non-standard connector and/or the pins swapped around - if you check there should be 3 pins - a 5v, signal/data and ground.

I had this issue because I have a NZXT H700i case and the only way to control the case lights is via the godawful iDevice thing and CAM. The connector is non-standard and the pins have been swapped around but it is just 5v, data and ground. I managed to remove the iDevice and now the lights are all controlled by the motherboard - and even did the same to the LED strip that came with my Soundblaster AE-5.

I've since been able to eliminate 3 separate pieces of RGB control software and have all my lights synced in a way I could only dream of before and it was a doddle - a slightly fiddly doddle, but a doddle nonetheless.

I've looked around online but there's not many people talking about this. Be good to get the word out.

Video suggestion:

EMF readings of different monitor/tower setups.  I have a triple monitor stacked setup with the tower beside them on the desk, and my bluetooth earbuds cut out badly because of the magnetic field produced by the monitors.

If I move the tower below the desk, the earbuds pair and function correctly with my motherboard, but the stock cables don't reach to the top monitors.

It would be really cool to see you guys play around with EMF readers with different types of desktop setups, including monitor configurations, tower placement, and (the big one) speaker placement!  You could rate three common setups, or discuss the viability of affordable vs expensive bluetooth repeaters/extenders in the context of a home desktop setup!

Good luck LTT team!

On 6/19/2023 at 12:52 AM, Issac Zachary said:

Getting back to the point, the 1970's is when home computing became possible even though it still was expensive and people didn't jump on band wagons like they do today. But if you had the money, sure, you could get a computer if you wanted, which many companies did do and eventually schools and homes as well.

Sorry, I was there. This just isn't true. It was possible, except there was no hardware or programs to run on them unless it was a proof-of concept type deal. I built my first PC in 1992, DOS 5 as I recall. 106mb hard drive.

What is the Fediverse?

OR

Explaining Mastodon/Lemmy/Peertube

Decentralized social media seems to be a nice alternative to Reddit, Twitter and even Youtube. I have seen some videos explaining it. Having LMG explain it would be nicer and could help more people become aware of it. A Techquickie or even an LTT video exploring it would be cool.

Hey LTT team,

Love your content, but I only have one complaint.

Your videos are too bright/white. Every website screenshot is painfully white and it hurts my eyes.

You can see in attachment how I watch your videos at the moment.

Yes, that's Radeon overlay.

Would you consider making a dark mode friendly episode as a test?

You guys have made your own desk, how about designing your own computer case and then making a build in it?

On 6/20/2023 at 8:41 AM, jkr4m3r said:

Sorry, I was there. This just isn't true.

Deleted

Edited by Issac Zachary
I posted wrong information. Sorry.

14 hours ago, Issac Zachary said:

I'm sorry too, because your personal experience isn't proof that people and companies didn't by computers in the 1970's. My first computer, a Color Computer 2, had no programs initially and only came with Basic which I had to program myself.

Edit: Getting back on point, just have someone have to use a vintage computer for a reasonable amount of time. I'll let Linus define "vintage computer", thanks. I don't need someone who got his first computer a decade after I got mine tell me that nobody bought computers in the 70's.

Has nothing to do with your original statement which I contested:

Could it be Basic like on an old computer so they could have the experience of how home computing was 50 years ago?

Sorry, case closed. Also, my personal experience: I was there. I was a young man just starting out in the business world. Unless the company was big enough to use a mainframe most were reticent to trust their valuable data to floppy drives. In the mid-80's I made pretty good cash servicing small office PCs as a side hustle.

Different world. You obviously weren't there.

I stumbled upon a tiktok channel named '3Dtoyshop Teddy hospital' they 3D print toys for children in hospitals but it looks like the equipment used is very dated from the look of the videos and they are in serious need of a tech upgrade attached is a link to one of the videos that shows glimpses of the tech used. https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJCfj9hg/