Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

As an apple fanboi, why would you care about actual performance and data? Just join the HYPE train and give them your moneys!

Here's a video idea for you:

There's a project called VHS Decode that's developed a way of cheaply recording the RAW RF data from VHS tapes. That's right, the raw tape signal, meaning you can get the literal best recording out of it possible on almost any cheap VHS player, potentially saving you $300-500+ on getting good hardware.

What that means is, instead of recording whatever the VHS player has processed from tapes, and having to deal with mediocre quality and misalignment, or having to pay out the nose for a deteriorating 30 year old high end model that support features like S-video and Time Based Correction (TBC), you can record the pure data from just about any cheap VHS player, as long as it has some sort of RF test point on or inside it, and then fix any issues in post with software.

Why's this important to your audience now? A tape's shelf life is ~20 years, beyond that they start deteriorating and many people will have tapes nearing 40!

Deterioration causes issues with playback, like missing parts of frames, and going out of vertical and horizonal sync, etc. By backing the raw data up, these issues are far more fixable.

On top of that, the project works not just VHS, but also S-VHS, LaserDisc, Beta, Video8, Hi8, ED-Beta, Umatic, EIAJ, SMPTE-C, SMPTE-B, and more. This is because they're all essentially the same FM RF signal at their core. Though, keep in mind, not all of these are fully supported by the software yet, but as you have recorded the raw data, you can just wait for some of the software to catch up down the line, knowing the media is safely backed up losslessly.

There's another benefit to this method; you can extract subtitles and closed captions separately in .srt files. They arn't burned into the image like you would get with any other recording method.

Ok, so what do you need hardware-wise to make this project work? A few things:

That's it! From there, just a bit of technical know-how, find and  maybe test the RF test points, and follow instructions dotted the site, and probably get some help form their Discord. It is more involved and somewhat complicated than simply plug and play, but that will improve ion time. Other than currently setup and everything being a little complicated, the only real down side is the storage size, which are about 20GB for 1 hour of footage.

Here's some comparisons. Keep in mind, the compassion output on a lot of these are from VHS players that cost $300+:

DomDup_comparison.thumb.jpg.cc934b250c681b22a72c6e70a4b4ed88.jpg

lwnO1Kz.thumb.jpg.b37f13a75136ee6b1f125427cdaa0770.jpg

https://odysee.com/@vhs-decode:7/vhs-decode-full-frame-pal-2022:9

Once the labs is at good state, see if you can collab with Bill Nye to go through everything in a Science Guy-esque style. He's super nice and I bet would actually be interested!

I wish you'd review Isotunes product range, awesome earbuds for working construction, to I use them all day.. Isotunes Free off work and Isotunes Free Aware while working. 

www.isotunes.com 

Welp, here's a suggestion & surprised I haven't made a linustechtips video sooner. We're a fan community service that wants Razer to create a toaster. Yep, the Razer Toaster & we wanna collab or at least open the door to discussions. A ridiculous concept I understand to some but celebrating our tenth anniversary soon, we're reflecting on the many memories made over the years. Over those years, we've had people tattoo Razer Toaster logos onto their body, made countless memes & deepfakes which has annoyed the CEO of Razer and finally, shared many laughs.

We have a long list of things we've accomplished such as:
 - From having our own documentary:

- To getting the Razer Toaster name so famous it became a linustechtips feature:

- To publishing a game on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1791400/Poppy_Toast/

- To showing off at PAX & sneaking our toasters in news articles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0txS4Tnns

The founder of the team toaster & crew would love to do something, hopefully putting it here in the forums gets talks started above anything else.

@shinronplays @otoasttv

With Luke shaving his beard when getting back, next WAN-show first topic all three should shave and have Manscaped sponsor the video 😛

I will be incredibly lucky if you do reviev of Homematic and Homematic IP running on Raspberry (RaspberryMatic). 

There are pretty many actors for Homematic IP (All products | Homematic IP (homematic-ip.com)) and Homematic  (Homematic online kaufen | ELV Elektronik) (it's just in German i could not find any on English) There are all actors that you may need. 

What's unique on Homematic - The way of programming. You can program (really easy) whatever you wish. And i mean it - everything.

Please give a chance and take look on it. 

Thank you 

On 3/22/2023 at 12:00 AM, Yoshi_523 said:

Hi,

Please can you do a video on reviewing the best stable de-bloated Windows 11 versions? I want somthing suitable as a daily driver and for gaming with the latest gen intel CPU's and nVidia 40 series hardware from 2023. I'm currently looking at Tiny11 by NTDEV (which is free) and Windows 11 Pro Lite by SasNet (which is $10). I'm sure there are other versions of de-bloated Windows 11 out there so if you have time to review them too that would be great.

I loved your video on Windows 10 Ameliorated Edition but sadly your video revealed that is was not able to take Windows updates and so for gaming was not usable due to DirectX needing updates.

Tiny11 by NTDEV is available at this website:

https://archive.org/details/tiny-11-NTDEV

The latest versions are "tiny11 b2.iso" and "tiny11 b2(no sysreq).iso"

The developer of Tiny11 (NTDEV) has a youtube page at this website:

https://www.youtube.com/@NTDEV/videos

Windows 11 Pro Lite by SasNet is available from this website:

https://sasnet.ovh/#win11

The developer of Windows 11 Pro Lite (SasNet) has a youtube page at this website:

https://www.youtube.com/@sasnetro/videos

Thanks & best regards,

Yoshi

Hello Yoshi,
I made this account to answer you.
I have been using the operating systems from SasNet for more than 8 years, they have never disappointed me for daily use. I pre-ordered Windows 11 a little cheaper before the launch and it's worth every cent.
The first version of Windows 11 lite was released in March and until now (June) we have already received 2 updates. I am very pleased.
He also offers premium technical support, responds quickly either by email, twitter, telegram or discord.
I also ordered recovery from his official website, I hope it helps you! https://sasnet.ovh/#recovery
Thank you.

addressing microsoft's rollout of enforced tfa for emails would be good. in the uk this also effects the uk's biggest isp (bt) whose customer email has been degraded to webmail only as a result, as well as business customers who all of a sudden have to add authenticator programs/apps to business email accounts.

I have a suggestion - comparison or recommendation video of software tools to family's devices IT support.

We all know being young and tech savvy automatically makes you the IT support guy of all other people in the close or wider family group (no wage included ;( ) . So i am looking for some recommendations as of 2023.

So far i have been using Team Viewer for passive control (although i think i have seen they have some active service for monitoring, but i just didn't want to overload my relative's devices with a thing running whole time, some of which not that great in performance by default (cheaper ones)).

thank you LMG team :)

Please for the love of God go over if whether or not fancy controllers with extra m buttons can assign to keyboard functions.

the 150$ razer wolverine v2(specifically xpadder),  only duplicates existing functions on the m buttons which is bullshit.

xpadder is heavily emphasized.  thank you for your time God bless.

Hi,

An RTX 2080 Ti Graphics Card mod with 44 GBytes of VRAM would seem to be a fantastic idea for a show topic 😀

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gets-a-44gb-memory-mod

Assuming this can be mode to work perhaps the Labs team could benchmark the result and then comment on how successful and worthwhile the results are?

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

Hello, LMG team!

A youtuber of some renown, Dan (and Carrie) Floyd of PlayFramePlus have recently moved with their three cats to Vancouver! A collab with them could be fun (and maybe even relatively straightfoward to organise)!

Have a lovely day!

Generating question: Can one build a Small form factor (under 15L) on a tight budget?

That form factor seems to always have a step entry price from the rarity of the cases, psu, and compatibilities as LMG has shown many times.

Greetings from Sunny Mexico-land 🤠

It would be great to see an update for DIY Security Camera video. I watched the one from 5 years ago but it was pretty barebones, especially with no mention about night vision.

Also, as tech gets better every year, there might be new options to try. 

Level One Tech, and Gamers Nexus have released videos about OpenPleb. It would be good to see a video where LTT shows if they support the initiative as well.

CalcProgrammer1, the creator of OpenRGB video talking about OpenRGB and how OpenPleb would help make OpenRGB better.

GN video:

Level One Tech video:

https://www.floatplane.com/post/Csl3MY2N61

Hello LTT team,

I'm an electrical supervisor at a large industrial manufacturing facility not far from you. I was wondering if you'd be interested in taking a tour of the site for a video? 

I can't speak for your average vewier but I'd be interested in a video detailing industrial automation and control of a large manufacturing plant. 

If your interested hit me up and I can provide more detail on what we make and what specifically you might be interested in. 

Ps. We are one of BC hydro's biggest customers. We can draw upwards of +80MW of power at peak production. 

BMW has a warranty for their batteries in the I3 electric cars. If it falls below 70% customers are eligible for a replacement battery. I am active in facebook groups and cars that are clearly below 70% battery capacity getting a "software upgrade" that magically downloads more battery capacity, so BMW doesnt need to replace the battery. It is super sketchy and warrants some good investigative journalism. Good luck, its a good story.

Did a quick search and didn't find anything, but has there ever been a solid generic "How to troubleshoot computers" video before?

I just saw the video "Mac Gaming Sucks...but that's CHANGING!".  I would love it if some were to try to get Game Porting Toolkit to run on a 2019 Mac Pro, I'm just not sure why they are saying it's only on M1.  Even the new release of No Man's Sky says M1 but works perfectly on my 2019 Mac Pro.

PS Love the extra long videos on floatplane, would have loved an extra long video for "Facebook Marketplace Server" (on floatplane) "WHAT did I just BUY on Facebook Marketplace??" (on YouTube)

I think that making a video on the Floatplane Home Page would be very beneficial to the people I refer to it so they can understand it faster.

Floatplane.png

Do you remember when Corsair released its first case? I do! I bought my sweetie (now my husband) a bunch of parts (including that case) and put together a great gaming/media rig. Nearly 15 years later, it has moved from being mostly for gaming to mostly for media storage and streaming, aging gracefully for a computer with mostly minimal upgrades (one newer mid-tier graphics card, additional storage, newer peripherals). Sadly it is nearing the end of its useful life, starting to have CPU overheat errors when it has to run an update, chugging on loading, etc. So my challenge to you is, can you do as well as this computer (or better)? Can you make a computer that will last 15 years?

3 hours ago, persephone977 said:

Do you remember when Corsair released its first case? I do! I bought my sweetie (now my husband) a bunch of parts (including that case) and put together a great gaming/media rig. Nearly 15 years later, it has moved from being mostly for gaming to mostly for media storage and streaming, aging gracefully for a computer with mostly minimal upgrades (one newer mid-tier graphics card, additional storage, newer peripherals). Sadly it is nearing the end of its useful life, starting to have CPU overheat errors when it has to run an update, chugging on loading, etc. So my challenge to you is, can you do as well as this computer (or better)? Can you make a computer that will last 15 years?

My last HTPC made it 15, died 2 years ago. It was a spare rig for years for friends to come over and play lan games before that. Replaced it with my aging main box, hope to see another 2-3 years out of it so it gets the 15 yr crown. Likely needs some repasting on the Core I5 750 and the GeForce 750Ti.

You guys should check out Light Field Lab's SolidLight holographic displays. Apparently they're claiming to be the first to create a true volumetric 3D holographic image. The panels have the ability to manipulate light waves to have them meet in the air.

https://www.lightfieldlab.com/

https://www.lightfieldlab.com/#tech

The displays are actually modular like LED tile displays, and are meant to be linked together to create extremely large sections.

Evidently they're on the verge of being used in large scale public advertising later this year or next. Huge companies like Comcast have invested a lot in them.

They have some in-person demos in San Jose that would be awesome to see your guys' impressions of.