Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Another tech channel started testing CPUs for Stellaris for turn length: 

I think a Linus channel should do the same. Just keep some advice in mind. Everything can run Stellaris early and mid game fine. What people really want to know is how well the CPUs run having to clog through the late game with a max size galaxy and no Thanos to snap the 100,000 unique pops in half (and all the other things which are unique to the stellaris bottleneck).

I would also suggest a second test doing the same but with a save file also using tons of the most popular mods...since almost everyone uses lots of mods.

How about removing all the fans from a pc and instead putting it on some kind of circular rails(maybe similar to rollecoaster ones or so?), it perpetually drives on and thus gets cooled by the created "wind"?

I believe I remember you saying you wanted to see more 16:10 monitors, HUAWEI MateView is a 28 inch 4K, 3840 x 2560

Red Dot Design Award: HUAWEI MateView

It would be nice to see a take on Suntek/PowMax cases from ~2000's that stylized around Mac G3 and all the glory of colored transparent plastic, I came across a reddit post today about them with some forum post about that. It would be a fun project to 3D print some parts to a new case in that style or just find around if there is any project like that going on. 

The Mac server gaming with a GTX titan x made me think the team put together a video from the inventory room. 

Similar to that video would be the "Maximus Windows XP PC" maxed out (x64) PC. Same era HW as the Mac video. Similar how? Ugh the GTX Titan X sort of.

Much of the hardware used in 7 gamers 1 tower is max XP hardware. 

Below this line is XP rabbit hole silliness.

Ya x64 kills most really retro stuff but that sweet sweet ram without pae is max XP. I came across a forum user named xp-x64-lover on other forums and they and a group of other have put together drivers for x99 and Z10 compatibility on some specific mobos.

CPU: depends on 1cpu or 2. Either an i7-6950x for max single core and OC or e5-2699av4 for 22 cores are the best CPU you can get and have mobos with drivers available for XP. XPx64lover even has a z10 system with 2x 2699av4 and found that XP x64 only registered 32cores instead of 44. So for a z10 build maybe 2697av4 instead. There are some unlisted special version that may be faster. 32 core 64 thread XP let's go!

Storage: tech and driver compatibility is a struggle but by playing out an elaborate bait and switch installation you can install and boot XP on a NVMe drive, like a 970 evo plus.

The graphics card will ring a bell, the GTX Titan X is the latest that has drivers, unofficially supported of course. Except for the same gen Quadro m6000 which has a 24gb option should work. Sli was disabled for XP in drivers long before the driver that supports 9xx series so you don't have to fuss with that to have the max XP/XPx64.

Then after building up that Maximus bare metal machine that is a complete pain in the butt to get drivers and OS installed with shady unsigned driver sources from around the globe, trust me bro, you crush it's performance. 

How? Use some new hardware with minimum needed to beat or bleeding edge to blow the bare metal version out of the water with virtualization. Run VM of XP and do passthrough for the graphics card which would still have to be limited to Quadro M6000 24gb sadly.  

Admittedly I'm just betting/guessing that the latest greatest HW is going to beat x99 even after the VM overhead losses. With the added benefit that you don't have the head ache of all the manual and shady driver installs of everything on the Mobo except for the Nvidia driver.

Should be able to get better CPU/Ram/storage benchmark scorse. Graphics would be the same. 

Or I'm wrong and the x99 bare metal XP shuffle still is Maximus. 

In regards to your video showcasing the small aircraft fan...

At my work, we have a decommissioned conveyor cleaning blower pair. Heavy industrial blowers meant for air pressure. This would be a good video opportunity to showcase static pressure vs airflow.

If the LTT team wants to get into contact with me, we can work out shipping them to you. I'm in Alberta, so it isn't a stretch. My workplace would rather throw them out or put them into storage for years instead of selling and shipping them somewhere where they can be used (for fun).

20230707_032234.jpg

20230707_032240.jpg

20230707_032247.jpg

I've not seen a professional video covering the Car Play or Android Auto screens that are supposed to be easy to retrofit an older vehicle. I'm getting ads for them all the time now. Basically just a tablet you mount with power and you plug your phone into it. 

Love to see Luke and or Linus visit Oxide and get there hands on a rack scale computer that needs 15,000W of power!

Very cool and unorthodox new company that has been open about the challenges of building hardware.

Find the world's largest computer case and turn it into a swimming pool/hot tub

Hi, 

Sorry I know this is not for everyone, but the min I saw labs I was like this is what we need.

My daughter is autistic, and we like many many other applied to listening therapy. what this entails is (in my noob terms) putting headphones on  and playing music or predetermined things.

Now the first "round" was £300 (uk) and they would send you special headphones, akin to Sennheiser specific headphones designed I believe for a good reason, to help your child. What arrived can only be descripted at best as wish dot com $5 headphones. You also had to supply an old iPhone as they had said specifically the headphones had to be wired, I was told my wireless Bose would not do.

you had to then "rent" the mp3 file, as you could not YouTube an app that basically played Mozart or other classical pieces in a magical non mono format. I doubt they had that tech back then. 

As you can imagine, I as a person working in IT for 20+ years raising an eyebrow. (I have the "wish" headphones and will post to you )

but it gets better.

You have to do another LiFT session where you pay another $99 I think don't quote me to rent the music for another month and have the child listen for 2 weeks 30 mins a time.

If that is all it was I would have said you know what ok. fine.

But no.

Now we have to pay £2.2k!!!!!! for a "device" that we can not keep! and it has another set of not as bad but bad unbranded headphones with a sony mp3 player glued to a "blue box". You sign a lot of stuff to say you will not open this blue box or tamper with it but when my time is up I am opening it!

I attach photos of the unit and headphones.

I odiously know its impossible for LTT Labs to say if this helps kids or not. But all I want is if you could prove that this blue box is doing anything at all and if the first LiFT is doing anything and if you could maybe just YouTube Mozart with your Bose at home.

I cant sent you the blue box one but the funny thing is it comes from Canada! I had to pay the import duty! So I was like oh maybe this could be a great thing for LABS.

Look I know this is not sexy or good click bate, but I would like to think some part of LABS is community call out and maybe you would like to test these headphones / blue devices.

If you need any more info please do reach out, I have the box for one more week and its gone (I cant send it to you) but I will be opening it and sending internal photos. for now here are the externals.

I can afford to piss away 2k..... others cant and that is all I want is to help the ones who cant.

we got them at sensationalkids.ie but just google search the image of them they are everywhere.

(photos are as out of the box unused by us)

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

video explaining why m365 admin center is so confusing lol

Breaking things 1 day at a time

"How We Pulled Off The Largest Tech Convention In Canada" would be really interesting considering the sheer scale of LTX23. I can imagine there is so much stress going on over at LMG and some BTS content compiled would be cool to watch

I have this old Toshiba T1900C from 1994 (I think). It doesn't want to work, but I think the reason is the battery is dead dead. Because this hasn't been turned on in over 13 years. I was wondering if this would be any use to you.  

WIN_20230708_18_17_36_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230708_18_19_03_Pro.jpg

On 3/23/2019 at 1:28 PM, LuxorAB said:

Old laptop screen upgrade/replacement to FullHD. (sleeper laptop?)

Fool HD?  Sleeper you say? 😆

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

Hi! I would find it interesting to see a video on how finite element software's perform on different modern workstation and consumer CPU's. More specifically the software's Abaqus (/standard) or Ansys (mechanical) (implicit solvers).

Implicit solvers are interesting because they have scaling issues with CPU core count and require, from my understanding, large memory bandwidth. Some also support AVX-512. Most companies use between 12 and 32 CPU cores for these kinds of analyses. A small business and students might only have licenses for running a job on 4 cores.

What amazes me is that the sellers of the software do not know hardware and the sellers of hardware never test these software's. AMD has shown slides with performance on Ansys Fluent performance, but that is CFD which scales extremely well (some use more than 4000 CPU cores for CFD).

https://www.3ds.com/support/hardware-and-software/simulia-system-information/abaqus-613/performance-data/

Cheers!

I have been struggling with good ideas for an All-in-one charging station/table of some sort. I'd love to see the experts come up with a solution to this. Right now out of pure necessity I just plug everything into a power strip and hide the cables with devices all being charged somewhere near our TV.

Example items:

Phone chargers

Controllers

Laptop dock

Wireless headphones/earbuds

Smart watch

Nintendo Switches (Lite/OLED)

Wireless keyboard/mouse

Ive recently rediscovered the appeal of a live TV format but using a plugin called ersatzTV (and originally the app it's heavily based on dizqueTV) to create my own live channels with my Plex (or emby) media servers. you can then add ads whether they be little bumps or ads for your movies on your server. It gives that strange channel flipping appeal with your personal media.

https://ersatztv.org/

RTINGS caught in a Lie? Suspicious?!

ASUS PG27AQDM REVIEW (where is Plouffes/Labs review?!)

Hey LTT it would be worth your time to quickly read thru the comments on RTINGS review of the Asus PG27AQDM

Summary: They can't FW update their unit and are saying they WONT RMA or return products. And will post the review as is, unless Asus reaches out to them and wants the results changed. They have some dumb policy. 

Basically everyone is mad that they posted the review of the already known to be problematic original FW. I think i caught them in a lie in the comments. I'm surprised they didn't delete some of what they said. But it keeps escalating with people calling them out. 

It completely doesn't make any sense and is fishy as fuck. Very suspicious, very ignorant, very lazy? The integrity is awful, and people are saying they completely lost respect for them. Myself included.

Keep in mind they took forever to even get a unit and review it months after other people and ONLY RTINGS results are very different from everyone else.

P.s. I hate this monitor and returned mined, plagued with issues. So I'm not defending it or Asus or anything. Asus is scumbags too

https://www.rtings.com/discussions/hZDmrGXogj_6H9Lk/review-updates-asus-rog-swift-oled-pg27aqdm#comment-74123

Sent from AOL on Android

Video suggestion, just unsure how long it could be made:

1. NUC-sized device (NUC\Tiny/Micro) vs Full sized PC
    • Power Efficiency and Noise
    • GPU performance loss with EGPU on USB4 vs PCIE
      • For length sake thunderbolt from Intel could be added
    • Space needed with egpu and full-sized pc
    • Price, egpu enclosure are not cheap
    • Upgrade complexity
  2. More power efficiency for daily tasks besides gaming
    • Just using iGPU of NUC or full-sized pc VS standalone GPU (with CPU which has no iGPU) for daily tasks like, browsing, YouTube
      • Kinda curious how this fairs for just YouTube, I have Ryzen 3700X and 3070 and barely play, or play indy games. Wonder how it would change if I would have iGPU

Hey guys. I love what U are doing and currently my big issue is carpal... I want to get a mouse that would relieve the pain and still be able to game with it. I see that U do lot of ergo keyboards, but there is not many comparisons or reviews on ergo (vertical) mice. I would appreciate you doing some video about it because it is really pain to choose a mouse in this category without buying 7 different and returning 6 of them to the seller. Thanks in advance.

A SFF build but one that is super discrete. Possibly in a case with a non-standard motherboard mounting or even a custom build case  Replace easy MB I/O access with a high speed usb-C Dock or two. Do a roundup of the best desktop usb-c hubs not the laptop dongle ones.

A Maker channel

I Would love to see LMG approach maker content, showcase/review some cool tools and DIY Tech. 

For example ive recently been building the MPCNC https://www.v1e.com/ which is a cool project id love to see Alex tackle (who would naturally be a great host for the channel).

I think LMG could take a great run at a maker channel. Using tech to make cool stuff. Multi part project builds. Cool 3d printing/CNC educational and marketing content. Hacksmith/Adam Savage style multi part build vlogs.  It would be very cool to showcase not only different tools but would be an ideal place for factory tours for more 'artisinal' tech products. Even stuff like soldering tutorials and a roundup of good  better best versions of common tools.

Also possibilities for things like case modding projects. Collab's with more makers and creatives outside of tech. Getting various YouTube creatives to mod cases and then some form of competition to win them perhaps. Someone like Adam Savage could do some insane case mod stuff given he built miniatures for star wars.

This also provides the opportunity for more tools on LTT store as well as 3d print files and project plans.

Why not even a 'how to paint your house' video sometime?

I was shopping for headphones recently, and as someone who isn't an audiophile, it was so frustrating to find headphones that had good qualities that I (an average buyer) look for (build quality, warranty, etc) and had a satisfying sound. I would love to see a video that compares headphones of different price brackets that the office's audiophiles and average listeners both test. The new labs tools could be great for this as well. 

I'm looking for the best energy efficient laptop for gaming. I boondocks in a cargo trailer and use 400 watts of solar for power and I have a generator just in case. I was wondering what gaming laptop is the most energy efficient. Current laptop uses 200w and due for an upgrade since it has a 1070 but still works well.