Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Surprise customer service test!

Call GPU companies like xfx, so on. 

See if you get a person. 

See if that person's accent matches the country you call from. 

Ask "hey, do you get hands on experience with the GPU?"

If so ask a stupid question like how to take the fan out so you can put 3d printed ones in a different color in or something.

Things being tested:

1. Can you get customer support

2. How easy is it to get customer support

3. Does the company give a damn about its customer support or are they out sourcing to the lowest bidder?

4. Since you didn't buy a GPU, can you get support without knowing your serial number? I don't expect the average or below average consumer to know what it is. Most throw out boxes and peel off ALL the stickers to put into trash. 

5. Do the customer support actually handle the cards or get a "how 2 Tek" pamphlet? 

Hey, i just read about GPT4all, an Open Source ChatGPT equivalent that doesn’t run in the cloud but instead on your own pc or Server. Wouldn‘t ist be interessant for a video to check it out and explore possible applications for it? I mean one thing to consider with ChatGPT is always, which sensitive information you want to give it. When everything runs on your computer that shouldn’t be as problematic, isn‘t it?

I always enjoyed the scrapyard wars videos when they did them and i understand its hard for Linus to do them so i wonder if they have though of doing a version where its more like the secret shopper where they get a less know team member who may or may not know much about computers and run it like a secret shopper scrapyard wars.

Go into it with little to no computer part history knowledge and put 2 teams against each other to see who gets the best deals, best computer at the end.

You would also run the risk of them buying dead or faulty hardware or something that's not compatible.

It would be the closest you could get to a user who's new to PCs or the "family" buying parts for someone like in secret shopper with Janice.

You could also open it up to just not from your local area but to ebay or other online shopping platforms.

See who well they could build out a computer from scratch.

I no it sounds like a secret shopper but have you though of testing the gaming FPS numbers that sites like NZXT build and other claim the systems will get.

Many of them let you choose a game and will let you know a number they think will be achievable by the system.

I always wonder who they come to those numbers when i see them in adds from you and other Youtubers but have also wondered if they are even close.

Friction weld a CPU directly to the heat spreader/heat sink and compare to using liquid metal.

Alternative method is to lapp them under vacuum and wring them together.

I’m not sure whether you guys have decided what to do with the opaque N64’s, but I think a great idea would be to buy an already open one and the packaging for it, clean it all up a bit, and unbox THAT and do a review in the style that one might have been done on it back when it first came out. Literally, make the video look and feel like it was made back then (maybe even shave Linus’ facial hair to give him his OG look back just for the video). At the end of the video, you’d THEN bring up it wasn’t an ACTUAL new in box unit and talk about the 5 you were sent. Bring up how you didn’t want to disappoint either side of the “open it!” or “don’t open it” debate and felt this was a good middle ground.

Then, to top things off, sell them for a dollar to winners of a drawing or (and I prefer this way personally) explain you’re going to auction them all off and donate the gains from the auction to some important, preferably somewhat tech-related charity.

I think it would make everyone happy. The people who want to see an unboxing get that plus a fun twist on modern hardware reviews, and the “DON’T YOU DARE” people (or the ones that watch the full video) get to know that the units are probably going to end up in the hands of people who ALSO don’t want to open them.

For real though! If you do the old school review twist… you should totally shave Linus for it so that the memes of his immortality can come back. I miss them.

So this idea was originally inspired by the vastly overkill ThermoFisher water chiller. I would love to see a video where you try to cool a computer using an aquatic/hydroponic pump as the only active component circulating water to the cpu and gpu from an external reservoir. The idea is that with fans, we are essentially trying to transfer excess heat to the air outside of the case, but we should also be able to do the equivalent with a tank of water that has the same overall thermal capacity as the air in a room.

So, for example, a 12' x12' x 8' room has a volume of 1152 cubic feet. Very roughly, water has about 3300 times the volumetric heat capacity of air, so we should only need to circulate the heat in our system to a reservoir with about 0.35 cubic feet of water (~2.6 gallons) to achieve the same effect as air cooling without the need for any kind of radiator.

Obviously, rooms have temperature control, so now we get into if the passive radiation from the reservoir into the surrounding air is enough to emulate that and keep temps stable over long periods. If not, what happens if we go to a bigger reservoir with more external surface area? what if we try different materials for the reservoir? what if we tweak the shape? what if we try to add something like cooling fins? What if we try to integrate the system into a water fountain or other decorative water feature? Lots of options to explore

When Emily is ready to get back to hosting, I think a rather fitting idea would be to cover the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, which was a pretty big moment for PC gaming at the time (the first DirectX 9 card you'd actually want to use), and put Nvidia on the backfoot for quite awhile.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Hi Guys,

With absolutely no luck at all, I’d been chasing a KVM switch with Thunderbolt 3 since my first Thunderbolt Mac, similar to what was available with the Aten Thunderbolt 2 KVM Switch.

After some years of sporadic searching this company finally appears to have something ready for market compatible with Thunderbolt 3/4 and another model with USB4 compatibility.

Would be good to see a review before taking the plunge 

https://www.ssi-computer.com/kvm-switch/

Something non-tech to spice it up... Cup-A-Bug.

Not a whole LTT bit, but a top [something] gadgets or on Channel Super Fun? Maybe Denis will destroy a window with it while catching a spider 😄

Saw it in a promo video and wanted to order one to test, but they don't ship to Europe as of now 😞, so I told them that you are open to "lending a space" on LTT Store.

https://cupabug.com/

https://www.instagram.com/cupabug_official

https://www.instagram.com/thesolidfactory

I just seen this video a view minutes ago, was curious if you'd be willing to do some indepth snooping to find out if it is true, or maybe this creator isn't utilizing all the things to grow their channel correctly and spreading misinformation

Hi LINUS TECH TEAM HOPE U READ THIS (AND ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE)

so let me jump in the problem i faced on my pc. I am learning video editing as hobby in premiere pro, I ran into an issue with font which are not available in my system (WINDOWS 10) to see different fonts style how it will appear in the video. So I went online then download free font pack rather than individually download each and single one of them separately, first I found FONT pack consisted of 7000 font I installed them all so they worked fine . As I was curious is there larger font pack available on online. So I did found the second font pack (60000+ mega font pack)file name )natural got all them and installed. After that when I right click then on personalized to check the font how its looks and style but it didn't open is crashed. So I restarted my system, after it booted to log screen it was black on screen no desktop icon or wallpaper appeared at first, it took 10 to 15 minutes appear later, so my pc did got slow to point it took lot of time to load and ms office didn't even open so I had to delete lot of font at small quantity to bring my PC to work normally again.

I HAVE A QUESTION HOW MANY FONT IT TAKE TO SLOW DOWN YOUR WORK STATION( VIDEO EDITING  and ON A AVARAGE PC SPECIFICATIONS) IN LTT..? I HOPE U MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT IT 

On 6/1/2023 at 3:03 PM, sparking_ said:

Didn't sourceforge website stopped doing that long time ago? If only Equalizer APO, Peace and HeSuVi were hosted on Github instead.

Use Ublock Origin Extension and NoScript Extension before visiting sourceforge website. Everyone should have these two extensions installed in every browser to avoid malwares.

VirusTotal links: Seems like false positive, detected by obscure antiviruses. Bitdefender and Kaspersky detected nothing.

Equalizer APO: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/2b21e6303beec2be165dd36917113d774356d9818c69f0b22550f5d938c4481a

HeSuVi: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/a31774714d8f7a87ae4fd5bdbaa4bfa294a808296bdcc9e9935da4b427a601ba

Peace EQ: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1e2c5efda2b56843cf1850540ea1512701a9e2f24b0c1db6071a525ad75fe225

A virus is only one threat.

I'm rejecting spam calls ALL DAY. It's 2023 and most major cell phones still force us to receive constant calls. 

I have an S23 Ultra and I can find no way to limit calls to only my own contacts. This makes no sense unless cell carriers and phone makers want to force us to be bombarded with spam. 

I don't see this being talked about and it seems like it should be. Why are we forced to receive calls we don't want or any at all phones and are there any solutions to this?

Mac gaming just got a whole lot more interesting with the new porting toolkit released by Apple.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/

Basically it looks like any DX12 game runs on Apple Silicon now, which seems absolutely bonkers to me.

Please, LTT, do a video on this :)

A Factory tour of ARRI would be sick!

Just signed-up because my 8 y.o. son (D Rock is his nickname) has a dream to build the most epic white gaming PC. He can rattle off the makes and models of all the bits he's specced up; would be awesome to see what you guys could come up with.

His key bits as follows:

- AMD Ryzen 7700X

- ASRock Taichi Carrara white

- MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio white

- G.Skill Trident Z5 32 GB Kit RGB white

- MSI Gungnir white case

- MSI MPG A850-GF power supply

- Cooling TBD

He dream is to run Minecraft RTX on maximum realism settings. If by some (slim) chance you decide to make a video on this, would also love to see this.

PS: I've written this on my phone from his bedroom - the deal was I send this message and he goes to sleep. 😂

Would like to watch LTT video where Linus installs Solid State Fan inside a Desktop PC. Will it replace Conventional Tower Air Cooler?

I would like to see Occulink used on some mini or small form factor PC's to be able to use big GPUs on small form factor PC's using and occulink m.2 adapters 

Armchair, Tap Strap, and Apple Vision Pro

Instead of the all in one fully immersive computer setups of the past, I would like to see someone use this setup for a week or even longer because of the learning the tap learning curve. A comfortable recliner, tap strap, and Apple Vision Pro with a possible MacBook connection for additional connectivity and productivity. Maybe on the MacAddress channel or LTT channel. Pros and cons and possible ultimate ergonomics. Work even while laying down since the mouse is your eyes and a little tap of your fingers and the keyboard can be typed on a hard cover of the armchair. Eliminate the fatigue of the past. Here are 9 previous LTT videos that are similar and related and how I think they could do it right with this set up.

Spoiler

Edited by LogicalDrm
Added spoiler

Instead of the all in one fully immersive computer setups of the past, I would like to see someone use this setup for a week or even longer because of the learning the tap learning curve. A comfortable recliner, tap strap, and Apple Vision Pro with a possible MacBook connection for additional connectivity and productivity. Maybe on the MacAddress channel or LTT channel. Pros and cons and possible ultimate ergonomics. Work even while laying down since the mouse is your eyes and a little tap of your fingers and the keyboard can be typed on a hard cover of the armchair. Eliminate the fatigue of the past. Here are 9 previous LTT videos that are similar and related and how I think they could do it right with this set up.