Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

How to build a PC bitcoin mining machine that also doubles as a radiator to heat your house in the winter!

Would it be possible to cool a PC or a graphics card using an air cooler with a fan powered by a stirling engine? You can get low temp stirling engines that can be powered by a cup of warm water, I would think you can place this on a CPU or GPU somehow and have it push air through a cooler? 

Please do an overview of Mini LEDs.

Were you can go over, IPad with mini LED, some TV and monitor.

From the user experience/HDR experience, dimming zones, content usage with mini LED and what part of the tech you like more about it.

(Which I guess is again the HDR aspect)

Hi Linus Tech Tip Team,

Keep up the great work, thank you for making great content throughout the years.

• Cases / PCBuilds
    • Open Frame cases using 80/20 T-Slotted Aluminum Framing. (i think they are using the 40 series or smaller sizes) "BenchTest Setup Only | Aesthetically Looks good?"
    • Is HTPC's still a thing in 2021?
    • Is building your own laptop a thing? Building your own laptop (Ex. Clevo)
    • Where do you buy your PC mod parts? (Custom length Modular Cable Kits, Rise Extension Cables, etc)
  • Strange Gaming Methods
    • Using a Synchronous USB Keyboard+Mouse Hub to "Multibox"
    • Non-standard keyboard bindings (ppl who don't use the Default WASD)
      • Or nonstandard devices used to "game"
  • SmartHome:
    • Thoughts on a SmartHome in 2021?
  • Challenges/Competition:
    • LinusTechTeam vs a Highschool E-Sports Team?
    • Play like the Pros - ESports player's "setup" (PC hardware, Gear, Keybindings) and see how well LinusTeamMembers play
    • Who is the worst PCBuilder in LinusTechTeam?
      • PC Build Challenge "Scuffed-IT" parody of Nailed it (Make a PC build into 3 stages, PC Build, OS Install, BenchTest), whoever does best, gets something to have an advantage, judges by Linus and his PC Building Squad)
    • SmartHome Challenge*** (alot of ideas come to mind)
  • Follow up videos:
    • to the "You Don't Need a Graphics Card!" Video (focusing more on APU + Integrated Graphics performance)
    • Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade (James + Dennis + Anthony + Riley + David ) is there setups still good? did they throw away stuff? Did you take Dennis' sign away?
  • Other
    • "Linus Makes a Video Card" (educate people on the GPU shortage, how long it will last, see if any NVIDIA\AMD rep will interview to enlighten the public on the shortage directly from there company point of view(btw great knowledge shared with the "I'm Bored. Build a Gaming PC with me!!"))
    • Virtualization with unraid/virutalbox/etc

image.png

image.png

9 hours ago, Diora said:

Title:
Making BEST graphic card out of worst one!!!
content:
taking "Dell grade GPU" like this monstrosity and modding it

Objective:
My idea is hypothetical situation where somebody is getting great card, but in terrible execution and that person wants to do DIY modyfication to help the card and possibly extend it's lifetime.

steps:
0. Introduction
1. Vanilla Benchmark
2. moded air cooling and benchmark
    2.2. air cooling LTT way
3. moded watercooling and benchmark
    3.2. water cooling LTT way
4. extreme modding
5.aftermath

beasicly intro to the film
my take:
"Imagine situation you assembled your PC true crown TRUE GAMER MASTERPIECE!, but that crown needs it's javel GPU, but it's 2021 and you are deep in the... ,but suddenly somehow you manage to get Glorious GPU that saves your life, but it's some sketchy ultra low cost model. Can you tinker with it and possibly boost it performace and maybe extend it's lifetime in any way? I'm courious to find out... like I'm corius about our todays sponsor!...
|sponsor time & Intro|
Here's the problem it's your only option and it's both good and bad. You might get thos FPS and eye candy, but your GPU temps are terrible and it both hurts your performance and shortens life of the card. The idea is to take off that crappy wanna be heatsink and replace it with our magnificent DIY thermal solution"
Benchmarks:
-vanilla "Dell grade" card
-reference card
-mid-range not reference design
-hi-end not reference design
taking apart card and attaching simpple components.(no custom made heatsinks and shrouds)
Goal is to have something simmilar to this but made like this.
Card is flipped in case so CPU cooler is not falling of so easly and mounting preasure is better.
Vram needs to have some tiny heatsing with 40mm fan blowing on it.
    2.2 LTT goes LTT custom parts allowed
Cheap water cooling no name aliexpress water blocks and air cooling for Vram
    3.2 LTT goes LTT custom AND Hi-end parts allowed
4. Every trick is allowed Soldering cutting any modyfication that gives improvment no matter is it in performance or aesthetics. LEDs REQUIRED
Comparasion of all resoults and whise golden thoughts

My bet on resoults:
No significent changes after step 2 but up to ~10%(in long run) change compared to not moded

Man just put a lot of hard work into something that probably wont get seen by writers.

Ok video idea, belle delphine bath water cooled pc. Just do it because, maybe see how the cooling changes idk BUT IMAGINE video for april 1st 2022??????

Just...no.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, T-R-Y-I-N-G said:

Ok video idea, belle delphine bath water cooled pc. Just do it because, maybe see how the cooling changes idk BUT IMAGINE video for april 1st 2022??????

Merged with the video suggestions thread.

If they were going to use bath water they would use Linus Bath Water, lttstore.com

478598082_lttbathwatermeme.png.e4ad4de22c23dad6ed368479f022cc30.thumb.png.a462e3cb916e9f11cd0297e0eb2d906e.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I have  a few different ideas for videos

The first thing I would love to see is you running a gaming bloatware video. I would go with the assumption that as gamers, we would generally make most purchases from a variety of hardware manufacturers,  So running  all the bloatware from your major peripheral manufactures, So you would need the software from at least say, Razer , Logitech , Steel Series, and corsair.  Then we would have to think about launchers, So obviously we would need to be running Windows Store, Xbox GamePass App, Steam, Epic, GoG Galaxy, Itch.io, Origin, Uplay, BattleNet and i am sure countless others that i am unable to think of,

Then also through in a few general apps, Discord of course maybe Skype as well as MS Teams, a few chrome tabs open. Then see what the performance  differences are compared to the same PC with out anything unnecessary being installed. You could also further dive in and see if any particular apps are performance hogs comparatively .  I would personally like to see it on a few different spec ranges of PC if possible. Do something for the 1080 2080 and 3080  eras . 
Also do test with the software all just being installed but not running.

I think a lot of people would find it both informative and amusing.

The second idea I have would be particularly suited for Mr. Anthony Young. I would love to see an on running series of you folks getting old/new game running on the MiSTeR(as well as other devices as necessary). Starting from how you would dump a particular cart to getting the game running. Figuring out how to get vector graphics games working well and all sorts of other stuff along those lines. There are so many eras of hardware to go through and get working and interesting topics in this field that I am certain much of your audience would appreciate. You could legitimately start an entire weekly show and have interesting content for ages.

I have a few other ideas, but these are the two that I think would be great.  let me know what you all think

An LMG writers contest

The participants have to create a script that contains the most pretentious, over-used, polysyllabic, asinine, consumer tech and marketing buzzwords and phrases all while accurately describing a tech product or service. Points awarded on accuracy, verbosity, word-count as well as syllable-count with bonus points for pretension.

I hacked together a small example in another thread describing an imaginary product.

"The TLRi-4BXt solution slots into the SKU stack at the mid-tier showing a 3 ex uplift with a design language that emphasizes a sleek UX integrated within an innovative form factor while retaining a best-in-industry front loaded feature set that maintains core utility and optimization while deprecating legacy skeuomorphic interactive elements ..."

So there's this completely modular laptop:

Framework Laptop Is Now Available For Pre-order, Starting at $999 | Digital Trends

Maybe LTT could contact them and get a couple of variants to display how cool the idea is and find out whether or not it's worth it? There's a fully DIY version too.

I'd be interested in seeing frankensteined laptops haha

10 hours ago, T-R-Y-I-N-G said:

Isn't that meme like 2 years old at this point?

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

I just watched the recent LTT live stream PC build from yesterday and I was really intrigued by Linus' assertion that water is the only good fluid for PC cooling when it comes to longevity and performance. This actually relates a little to my research and gave me an interesting idea for another type of fluid you could test.

For some context, I'm a grad student in engineering at the University of Alberta. My research is primarily in fluid dynamics -- specifically turbulence and turbulent drag reduction. I study the use of water-soluble additives, such as polymers, that are commonly used to suppress turbulence in high flow rate liquid pipelines. The implication is actually a large reduction in skin friction drag (as high as 80% relative to water) which can be used to reduce the energy consumption of the pump or greatly increase the maximum flow rate. Another youtuber, Steve Mould, has a really good video that shows some of the cool features of these polymer solutions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOSVX8zOPkc).

Unlike most commercial cooling solutions (e.g. EK CryoFuel), which are generally mixtures of water and anti-freeze, these polymer solutions would almost certainly be capable of improving the pumping performance (less power needed by pump). An EK D5 does produce a large enough flow rate (1500 L/h) which results in significant turbulent losses, much of which can be greatly reduced from the use of polymers. What I'm less certain of is thermal performance. Hypothetically a higher attainable flow rate could result in better transient cooling, but steady state temperatures under a sustained thermal load would likely be comparable to water.

If you do plan on testing PC cooling with water versus some commercial coolants, I think an interesting tertiary test would be these polymer solutions. I'd love to see how these solutions perform in PC cooling. The technology right now is somewhat relegated to one industry, and it'd be awesome to give it some exposure to other applications and industries. If this is something you'd be interested in, I'd be more than happy to contribute and collaborate, really in any capacity. Let me know what you think.

I am a AI/ML/DataScience professional. I imagine there are quite a few AI professionals who enjoy the channel and would be interested in LMG's perspective on Data Science hardware. Help me browse for a laptop? I need:

####### HUMAN INTERFACING #######

• Lightweight & portable
  • a "good" keyboard.
    • Ergonomic
    • No physical numpad, makes the machine too bulky
    • Pointing stick preferred so I don't need to leave the home row
      • I understand trackpads dominate the industry, but we're not all just consumers.
      • Will consider machines without
    • Enough actuation force to reject false keystrokes
  • Did I say lightweight & portable?
  • Webcam >=1080p
  • Decent mic
  • Crappy speakers OK
    • Must have a  headphone jack

####### COMPUTE POWER/NETWORK INTERFACING #######

• More CPU cores is better, to an extent
    • Mostly code is written and tested locally
    • Heavy production compute is sent to the cloud
    • GPU performance is not necessary
      • I know, this is sacrilege on LTT but anything that needs GPU is going to AWS
  • An RJ45 connection in addition to wireless
    • Sometimes RJ45 is necessary at client sites
    • Would consider a dongle if there was a super awesome machine without RJ45
      • Dongles suck
    • 1Gbps preferred
  • >16GB RAM. (Note: NOT >=16GB)
  • Enough battery to last an 9hr workday under light load
    • I connect to the mains when doing anything power intensive

####### BUDGET #######

• What are the best options for a budget of US$1000
  • US$2000?
  • US$5000?
  • Where is my bang for the buck?
  • Used market OK

Heres a video idea, but it will take a bit of research time ...
Dave Plummer was a Microsoft Engineer / coder back in the day, and is the guy that coded win task manager 25 years ago ... on his own time ... for fun.
He posted on the reddit r/techsupport page a bunch of history on task manager as well as some tweaks and ways to use it, that people might not know about.
Seems reasonable for LTT to dive into explaining a program that almost everyone uses and maybe teaching a bunch of tricks to use it better.
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/gqb915/i_wrote_task_manager_and_i_just_remembered/

Hey! I just saw this video a couple of days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSE17ArRm4w

and I thought it could be a good base for a DIY water-cooling video with Alex. maybe it can be mounted to the top of a case or something like that.
Love the videos!  

@DLFischer I have merged your video request with the official video request thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 hours ago, Pitboy64 said:

Heres a video idea, but it will take a bit of research time ...
Dave Plummer was a Microsoft Engineer / coder back in the day, and is the guy that coded win task manager 25 years ago ... on his own time ... for fun.
He posted on the reddit r/techsupport page a bunch of history on task manager as well as some tweaks and ways to use it, that people might not know about.
Seems reasonable for LTT to dive into explaining a program that almost everyone uses and maybe teaching a bunch of tricks to use it better.
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/gqb915/i_wrote_task_manager_and_i_just_remembered/

I mean Dave has done these videos himself on his own channel from first account (which is great BTW)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

A video idea to help a fellow Portuguese gamer.

I have a friend that owns an MSI laptop that frequently thermal throttles, and my buddy and I have been theory-crafting ways to help, with not much success so far.

Today we were wondering if it would be possible to remove the internal components of the laptop and convert it into a desktop. So basically taking everything out and mounting it on a desktop case, or even in a custom made stand. We would also replace the thermal cooling system (the pre-installed heat-pipes and small fans) with something like a full sized noctua cooler for both the cpu and graphics card. Maybe this would make a currently unplayable laptop into a decent desktop for gaming?

I think it would be a cool idea for a video to take a common laptop that struggles with thermal throttling and try to "desktopify it". I think the LTT crew could make something really cool, like a custom mounting brackets and of course, tons of RGB.
You could also go another route and make something very janky, like this guy that just put his laptop inside a Tupperware with a giant fan.
I would love to see this video on your channel one day!

Best regards from a Portuguese gamer.

tupperware laptop.JPG

heatsinth on laptop.JPG

I saw your video about the external heat sink, and it made me remember my idea for a video where you use stack effect (the natural airflow caused by a tall pipe, and increased by the difference in temperature at the top and bottom) to cool a PC silently. The calculators only let you use inlet temperature for the temperature component, and assume a warm inside inlet with a cold outside outlet, but for highest efficiency you’d probably want both inlet and outlet outside, with your heat sink directly in the pipe. Or, for less cooling power on any individual component but better whole system cooling, a case mod that has an inlet pipe at the bottom sources from outside and outlet pipe at the top which you run to a 10m tall outside pipe.

The cool things about the concept are:

1.) It should be totally silent in principle, because you don’t need moving part for significant airflow, which will be more significant the taller you can make the stack and the wider the pipe you are willing to pay for.

2.) If the system is well-sealed, it should passively increase its cooling power as the components heat up. Since the airflow is dependent on the difference in temperature and pressure between the top and bottom of the stack.  I would think the pressure term would remain as the the pressure from your inlet (which will always be higher than the pressure at the top of the stack even if the temperature is equivalent, because of how gravity and the atmosphere work) but the temperature term would likely be mostly the max temp of the air around your heat sinks.

This would be a very stupid idea, because it would be more expensive and cumbersome than even the most complex custom loop water cooling. But it would probably make for a fun video.

Hi,
After watching todays video about watercooling an aircooler.

Everytime you try to cool a pc with liquid nitrogen, or other sub zero substances, you have to keep an eye out for condensation.

Would this problem be solved if you put the whole system in a vacuum?
No air = no moist? 

Perhaps its possible to fabricate a vacuumchamber wit a liquid nitrogen cooler fitted into it, so you can still fil it up even tho the rest of the system is inside a vacuum.
Also i would suggest putting watercooling tubes trough the vacuumchamber, to cool the gpu and maybe vrm's ? since it won't be possibe to use fans inside the vacuum.

Im no expert in physics so dont shoot me if this makes no sense at all.

@Qbone93you don't need a vacuum, you can just put the system in a box with a venting tube, the evaporating nitrogen that continuously flows out will displace any air and moisture in the box.

But then you'll have problems because everything that doesn't put out enough heat will be cooled way too much and probably fail unless you made a complex arrangement of heaters in various parts...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Have you ever considered a "Mystery Shopper" style review of component makers similar to how you did the pre-built systems?

I would love to know how good the support for Asus, Msi, asrock, gigabyte and the others compare.

You might have to rate them by category (motherboard, gpu, psu, peripherals, etc... ) to be fair...  perhaps see how helpful they using different support mechanisms (phone, email, chat, etc..)