Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I don't have money to test it would do it but I'm to poor

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Looks like a system for mainframe duty

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

It seems like a single piece of wayfer. I ve seen it a few days ago and that brings more questions than answers. How do the use it architecturally, how do they cool it, how it comunicates, in what board you use it etc etc

1 minute ago, PiberiusWilde said:

They said ai deep learning and things, I thought it was a GPU task till now. I guess a chip is a chip

3 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

I thought it was a GPU task till now. I guess a chip is a chip

Well in a sense like with bitcoin mining, it's a GPU task until someone makes something that can do it even better than a GPU.

5 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

They said ai deep learning and things, I thought it was a GPU task till now. I guess a chip is a chip

I'm just guessing here. Don't much about server stuff

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

2 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Well in a sense like with bitcoin mining, it's a GPU task until someone makes something that can do it even better than a GPU.

As it is always right? In 10 years that obsolete chip won't even game :D

Just now, PiberiusWilde said:

I'm just guessing here. Don't much about server stuff

Well a "mainframe" is something rather specific, it's not just a name for some rack mounted server. E.g the LMG server room isn't a mainframe. 

Would love to see Linus test doom and cinebench on this 😁.

..and then drop it 😄

That system seems like a bad idea,chips at that size have very low yields and are very hot - consuming a lot of power.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

43 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

In 10 years that obsolete chip won't even game :D

Tell that to the 2600K and the HD 7970,those legendary chips can still game (even RDR 2 !).

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Even if Linus got his hands on one he still wouldn't be able to test it in any meaningful way. These types of system need a specific workload and its up to the user to tell the system what to do, its not like you can just run Windows on it.

It will probably run some incredibly obscure *nix kernel and would rely on terminals/nodes to feed it instructions. Its essentially an INCREDIBLY fast calculator (I realise that's what all CPUs are).

1 hour ago, PeachGr said:

It seems like a single piece of wayfer. I ve seen it a few days ago and that brings more questions than answers. How do the use it architecturally, how do they cool it, how it comunicates, in what board you use it etc etc

It says right on the page, its a cluster node. Essentially it plugs into an existing system and acts as a number cruncher. You could have 20 of them clustered together with a mainframe controlling them all. As for cooling, the places that use this kind of thing will have temp controlled server rooms.

Since its function is a node in a cluster it doesn't need anything more than very basic CPU functions. All it has to do is boot the kernel, connect to the cluster and understand the instructions. It will run VERY proprietary software and in most cases the application feeding it the instructions will be written from scratch for the specific tasks the team wants it do perform.

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

Well a "mainframe" is something rather specific, it's not just a name for some rack mounted server. E.g the LMG server room isn't a mainframe. 

The type of place running these will have mainframes controlling the network.

As it is always right? In 10 years that obsolete chip won't even game :D

It won't game right now, it was never intended to game.

25 minutes ago, Vishera said:

That system seems like a bad idea,chips at that size have very low yields and are very hot - consuming a lot of power.

Climate controlled server rooms in universities or private corporations, the type of place that doesn't care how much it costs to run them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Tell that to the 2600K and the HD 7970,those legendary chips can still game (even RDR 2 !).

My brother is really happy on my old PC with the 4790k. But you know, tech enthusiasts don't appreciate old tech

18 minutes ago, Vishera said:

it says max power draw 20kw so yeah................. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Even if Linus got his hands on one he still wouldn't be able to test it in any meaningful way. These types of system need a specific workload and its up to the user to tell the system what to do, its not like you can just run Windows on it.

It will probably run some incredibly obscure *nix kernel and would rely on terminals/nodes to feed it instructions. Its essentially an INCREDIBLY fast calculator (I realise that's what all CPUs are)..

It won't game right now, it wa never intended to game.

Ok look. Some things we say are for a joke purpose, but Linus sometimes can get away from consumer products, like one more 3080 or ryzen 7 performance, and instead show us something informative. But I don't blame him if he wants to have more views. Specific workloads on a video, attracts specific kind of viewers, an average fps/fanboy will close the video in the first minute of informative video. Remember the Asus mother ship video on the headquarters of the company, a really interesting one

20 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

it says max power draw 20kw so yeah................. 

How will Linus power that?,I suspect the wiring in the neighborhood and building won't be able to handle that.

And how Linus will cool that?,Linus will need a lot of LN2 for this.

That's not practical at all.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, they go in a data center...

No, Linus will be playing CSGO at lowest settings with 3 gazillion FPS, that's the whole point of this proposal!

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

How will Linus power that?,I suspect the wiring in the neighborhood and building won't be able to handle that.

And how Linus will cool that?,Linus will need a lot of LN2 for this.

That's not practical at all.

yeah, I know, I was just saying :D

PS: I did find a proper power supply for this endeavor though, I guess...? 

https://apelectric.com/generac-70391-20kw-guardian-generator-with-wi-fi-200a-se-transfer-switch/

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, Linus will be playing CSGO at lowest settings with 3 gazillion FPS, that's the whole point of this proposal!

yeah, I know, I was just saying :D

PS: I did find a proper power supply for this endeavor though, I guess...? 

https://apelectric.com/generac-70391-20kw-guardian-generator-with-wi-fi-200a-se-transfer-switch/

200A?!,The wiring in my house is only rated for 50A :D

5 hours ago, nessguy said:

but if someone could point me to a site that stored a more comprehensive list that would be awesome.

Take a look at these lists. I have not gone too in-depth with them but them seem to have accurate cinebench results for pretty much every cpu. Please dont use Userbenchmark.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r20_single_core-9

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r20_multi_core-10

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

5 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

Take a look at these lists. I have not gone too in-depth with them but them seem to have accurate cinebench results for pretty much every cpu. Please dont use Userbenchmark.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r20_single_core-9

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r20_multi_core-10

Thank you! This is a legitimate alternative and exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I'd just like for alternatives like this to be shown off and recommended rather than 'watch reviews'.

You've seen laptops with three screens but have you seen a laptop with not 3, NOT 5, BUT SEVEN. SCREENS. Of course you haven't! But you have definitely seen one of one of our sponsor segues before...

This is the Aurora 7, not made by Alienware but made by a company called Expanscape https://expanscape.com/

spacer.png

IDE to Serial ATA SATA 3.5" HDD Adapter Convertor Parallel To Serial Hard Drive SATA IDE adapter

On Aliexpress they sell these, but are they any good? Like getting a SATA-HDD in a modded original Xbox, or DIY mediasenter with an old motherboard etc. What read/write speeds can you expect to get.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000253283507.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.21d9123fnxcJFy&algo_pvid=fab3e2b1-e751-47df-8609-1c9e3a0b1539&algo_expid=fab3e2b1-e751-47df-8609-1c9e3a0b1539-18&btsid=0bb0623a16062530416677525e437b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

14 hours ago, PiberiusWilde said:

I guess it lacks enough redundancy and IO throughput features to be used as one.

14 hours ago, PeachGr said:

Anything that can multiply matrices can be used for DL. We also have had TPUs for quite some time and those are blazing fast. FPGAs are also used sometimes.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga