Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Have a couple:

I'd like to see a modern comparison of Nvidia's Geforce Experience/Control Panel vs AMD's Radeon Software. Would probably need to wait until RX6000 is launched and the initial bugfixes are done with to be relevant to the current gen, but they have enough similar features to compare/contrast (like Shadowplay and ReLive), and enough unique features to weigh the merit of (like FidelityFX or Gamestream), that you'd easily have enough material for a video, maybe two if you include comparisons to third party competitors to some of it like Windows' Xbox features, ReShade, and third party overclocking software.

No material cost to this one, since it's using stuff you already have on hand, and it's relevant to pretty much anyone who owns a graphics card.

In a similar vein, I'd like to see a video comparing the performance of early drivers vs the latest on some older-but-still-relevant cards, to highlight how far off early benchmarks can be compared to the mature ones later in the life cycle. Again, no material cost, basically just running duplicate benchmarks on a few cards with different drivers installed.

An update vid to all the mods and upgrades Linus has done to his home

3 hours ago, Halfchopped said:

An update vid to all the mods and upgrades Linus has done to his home

Perhaps he has moved or upgraded square footage since whatever vid he's done. Didnt he do some upgrades in phillipines and did a vid?

1 hour ago, progamer21 said:

In my house I have a nest cam

First thought that comes to mind is that you have a bird nest which has a camera watching it.

Takes some time to realize that perhaps thats a brand name of a camera, Nest. I see its Google Nest Cam. How is that working for you?

Instead of an idea for a video, I have an idea for a series. It's probably shit, but who knows, maybe people would watch it.

The idea is, a series of "completely truthful and unbiased reviews", kinda like the "10 ways X is just better", but taken up a notch.

Cherrypick only the best parts about a product and make a review with them, as if it were the 8th world wonder, and do the same with it's rivals, and post the videos at the same time to avoid confusion for people seeking real reviews.

Would be interesting(to me at least) seeing a cherrypicked review of Intel and AMD, or Linux, Windows and Mac OS.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Could you please take another look at that intel gpu? I have a feeling it might work if you use it with an intel oem mobo from around the time that card was made.

3 RTX 3090's + 2 RTX 3070's VS 1 Quadro RTX 8000.

Or, 7 3090's + 1 3070 VS 2 Quadro RTX 8000's.

Which would win for various tasks? I feel like this is one of those things that could go back and forth between the two depending on what you are doing. 

Talk about a TON of GPU Muscle! Good luck getting that many cards (maybe borrow from other YouTubers)!

4 minutes ago, Collin_S said:

maybe borrow from other YouTubers

In theory thats good, but I'd suspect many would take advantage of LTT which is why he doesnt do it, unless its like a colab as the kids these days say. Say ltt and onecentguy

I know a lot of people are waiting for hdmi 2.1 monitors to take advantage of the new gpus or the new consoles. It would be an interesting video to compare displayport 1.4a with dsc and hdmi TVs with hdmi 2.1 to see if pc gamers (not console players) should wait for hdmi 2.1 monitors(not tvs).

DSC theoretically should be indistinguishable from the full bandwidth of a hdmi 2.1 port. Vesa has information on their site of studies on this subject that would be a good resource. But there would be value in making this video because we should be suspicious of the makers own data on the tech.

Many people are, I think, misinformed in regards to the drawbacks of DSC and so this could be a way to spread good information. Also, it is really relevant because many of us are not pulling the trigger on a new monitor because we don't want to miss out on hdmi 2.1. It can also save people money, assuming hdmi 2.1 monitors may be expensive when they first release.

Edit: I forgot to mention that DSC is better than chroma subsampling according to my limited knowledge. 

Also I would love this video because it's hard to find a resource that discusses DSC in general. So, yes, this is a selfish idea!

mod alienware graphic amplifier gus for biger gpus:) never saw such a video on youtube or moded  alienware graphic amplifier

7 Gamers has always used virtualization to have multiple users running off one physical machine. This works, but it's always had the obvious drawback of needing a whole graphics card for each user (unless you have a Quadro which can charge it's resources between VMs).

I was looking up Xorg on the Arch wiki and it talked about a configuration called Zaphod display, aka multiseat. Here's how it's described:

There is still a rare configuration often called Zaphod display, which allows multiple users of a single computer to each have an independent set of display, mouse, and keyboard, as though they were using separate computers, but at a lower per-seat cost.

It links to this page from over a decade ago which details how it works. In theory, you could even have 7 Gamers playing off one GPU, and instead of messing around with QEMU you get to mess around with Xorg. Sounds like a great evolution of the series to me ;)

So I watched how to take apart my desktop, well, not mine, my cousins, unfortunately he passed away on 11-11-2009,but I think he was Tryna do a build. Evidence is an old AMD motherboard, the some what covered in more paste than colgote, processor (which I don't no what it is) some evidence points to a Nvidia software but I out "linus'd" the myself with Windows 7,no WiFi, chip or any if such sorts.. OMG PLEASE HELP.. I'LL EVEN SEND YOU THE PC JUST TO PLAY AROUND WITH(NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING.. SWEAR ON GOD) MAYBE A NEW VIDEO CALLED.. LIL 2 LATE? WHERE YOU BASICALLY ADVISE USERS(ESPECIALLY IN SOUTH AFRICA WHERE USD&CAD) IS TAKES US LONGER TO CALCULATE AND CONVERT I TO RANDS AND MY DATA RUNS OUT.? 

WILL SEND PICS WHEN I REMEMBER WHERE I PUT THE PARTS IN THOUGH.. AND JUST CLEAN IT ABIT.. LOVE YOU AND LOVE THE TEAM.. 

What sorry I don’t see what you are trying to explain here do you want to send in an item and hope they make a video if so this is not the right place, are you asking how to get rid of thermal past from the mobo if so depends on how bad it is

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 hour ago, Jaybux said:

...(ESPECIALLY IN SOUTH AFRICA WHERE USD&CAD)...

Merged to video suggestions. Though I would advice you read your post again and clarify it a bit. Especially this part. LTT is Canadian, and they don't really talk about pricing or availability outside of US/CA which is their market area.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Try to build a pc using only like best buy and find out if the prices are bad

Would love to see LTT begin to address the environmental impact of technology and feature new developments and creations that are helping to reduce it / resolve these issues. As a major informative resource on bleeding edge technology I think LTT could really help (and probably has a moral/ethical obligation) to educate a wider population on these problems.

There's also a just a bunch of really cool things happening to nerd out on! Maybe a series specific to this topic could be cool.

Alright... This one is super simple- all l want is product review.

Several years ago I ordered a cheap gaming mouse off of Amazon. At the time I thought nothing of it, but over time I have realized how amazing it is.

This mouse, called the M008 and manufactured by Tecknet at the time, had all of the features of mainstream mice at a fraction of the cost. This means full RGB control, 13 programmable buttons, a weight set, and an incredibly comfortable design, with only a few minor compromises such as the software.

Currently, it is no longer manufactured by Tecknet or available on Amazon. Fortunately, it is made now by two other companies on Amazon, found here and here. All i ask is that LTT does a video on this mouse, it's features, and it's cost, all in comparison to mainstream mice with similar features.

(Some things to note: Software may be difficult to find but is required for a good experience. Regardless of whether or not it is available, I would suggest trying the Tecknet version of the software (V1 drivers) as I believe it may be more intuitive. The RGB on the mouse is managed by the app itself, which limits options. For a full RGB experience, the OpenRGB program (currently in development) works well. I would love to see this looked into.)

I found a 2k camera marketed for "paranormal investigations" on amazon for only $169. the specs look interesting, and i highly doubt it actually works.

https://www.amazon.com/Camcorders-Infrared-Paranormal-Investigation-Camcorder/dp/B0857DHTZT/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=Spirit+Box&qid=1605677468&sr=8-10

or theres this Amazon Choice version thats 4k for $218

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BD3KJLV/ref=vp_d_ac_sub_sp_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BD3KJLV&pd_rd_w=cGusD&pf_rd_p=2ffcd48a-9fc6-4fa5-9277-084a00597c0f&pf_rd_r=CFT6SK1T2WBXADTFRG4M&pd_rd_r=6cc25ce8-2d77-4346-b366-ca86a2681c54&pd_rd_wg=r9i4i

would be fun to see the team test out a cheap chinese camera marketed for ghost hunting.

Yesterday, I've discovered an Android app called Andronix - https://andronix.app/

Basically, it allows to run a lot of Linux distros natively on your Android phone. Works especially well with Samsung DeX, as then you can output it to HDMI and use it as a normal desktop system (you'll need a VNC client to "remote" to your distro locally). You can install applications from a normal apt or yum or pacman or whatever package manager is in your distro, as long as the packages you want to install have been compiled for ARM. There are a lot of limitations, and it's not the fastest thing in the world, but I think it's pretty cool!

Considering the new cards have just been released you may already be doing this. But what about a video editing comparison on the new Nvidia/AMD cards? I would love to see how both teams stack up within programs such as davinci resolve and premier pro.... output times for a similar video, stack a heap of filters/etc... timeline scrubbing... Taran could make one and just output the same video with each card, he could give his feedback on each and how they feel in program. He also may be able to provide insight on what he feels is the bang for the buck sweet spot card between them all. Could do the same thing within resolve with someone in the office who is versed in that *shrugs*. Heck you could then mash them together in segments (as they both would have the same script anyway).

1. Following your various reviews of bundles of mice and keyboards, I'd like to see the difference between computer cases at various price points. I've only ever bought cheapest of the cheap where the side glass is actually plastic, I'm sure there's a huge difference in quality and little quality of life improvements in the more expensive cases but I've never cared to experience it and could never justify the price difference. Like strategic holes for cable management, modularity (for drives), upgradability, etc.

2. Linus to shoot a video for "5 years into the future Linus" like he did "5y into the past Linus" few months back

3. Redo of the very first publicly available video - cover the same product in the somewhat same style but with all the upgrades of quality we have today.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:37 PM, xvision1991 said:

want see Linus test this workstation!

NVIDIA DGX Station A100

Linus tech tip's next gen editor workstations??🤣😅

4x NVIDIA A100 80 GB GPUs

320 GB GPU Memory🤭

No way he could get his hands on one.They are probably 200k+