Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
Just now, Poet129 said:

Do you watch the news???

Yes and I live in nyc, it’s not that bad, and anyway i mean in the future

Air Conditioned PC

You guys have already done a video showing why building a PC inside a fridge doesn't work. But Linus mentioned in that video that something like a room air conditioner might work a little better.

On another video, Linus also showed his 10 year old chiller with which he sub-zeroed the Threadripper!

That's two "air conditioned PC" video examples. One that works really well and one that doesn't. With that being said, how about something in the middle (theoretically).

Re-engineering a custom water cooler into an air conditioner and leave air coolers on both GPU and CPU. I didn't know this until trying to figure out how to dehumidify the air in order to prevent condensation on sub-zeroed CPUs such as was the case on the 10 year old chiller video. But according to Wikipedia, air conditioners remove moisture from the air. So while in this video we wouldn't be achieving sub-zero temperatures, I'd be very curious to see if it can get under ambient/room temperature without having to worry about condensation.

BACK TO SCHOOL LAPTOP + BACK TO SCHOOL PC

Question + Idea:

Question:

Will there be a back to school laptop video like previous years?

Idea: 

Maybe this year since many are staying home you could integrate a section about building a back to school PC into the laptop video or even create a whole separate video.

I'd love to see a build video showing a Liquid Immersion Cooled system using ElectroCool from EngineeredFluids. I posted original request under the Cooling Topic:

On 3/21/2019 at 1:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000764714110.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.18ec3f7f2SpNBt&algo_pvid=9735b19c-2636-4c46-98bc-021374b358bf&algo_expid=9735b19c-2636-4c46-98bc-021374b358bf-2&btsid=0be3743b15960093176126070e1f4a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Found this pci to pcie card. Maybe a video regarding running a 2080ti or something on an old platform.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

On 7/27/2020 at 7:51 PM, bfsb90 said:

just watched this video on how to build a DIY 4k Projector and can't help but feel it could do with a bit of the LTT treatment!

also, if I'm not mistaken, at 20:09 when he adjusts the fan voltage and is explaining the fans pushing air out of the case, are they not in configuration to pull air in to the case and through the heatsink....

Merged to video suggestions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Okay, here's a question I'd love to see properly answered.

For the uninitiated: Path of Exile is a great ARPG made by a smaller studio that is now owned partially by Tencent.  The game has some great aspects, but over on reddit there are some really interesting assumptions that are not well-validated about performance.

I don't have the resources, but it'd be awesome to see Linus & team (or anyone, really), do a real comparison across a variety of hardware setups.  Here are the primary variables I'd love to see tested:

HDD vs. SSD.  This is a primary variable that most people believe makes a big difference for performance (not just loading times, but actual performance during play).

AMD vs. Intel.  I'm of the opinion that AMD wins here for two major reasons.  First, the game is multithreaded and does a lot of different things. Second, typical game play includes running several side programs.  None of these are particularly intense, but are virtually required.  Examples would be Path of Building (a build planning tool), a trade-enhancing macro/overlay program, and finally several websites in most instances (such as the poe wiki, and the poe trade site).

Graphics options.  I've never heard anyone on reddit talk about AMD vs. Nvidia cards in terms of performance, and I would assume that just like everywhere else, Nvidia wins this, but I'd love to see comparisons on mid-range and upper-range cards both.  

Testing would need to include high-tier gameplay, because that's where most of the problems start to occur.  If you just play through the campaign, generally speaking the only difference you are likely to see is in SSD vs. HDD, as things don't fully ramp up until end-game.  

So for fairness in testing you'd need to run tier 16 maps (maps are one of the end-game systems for those that don't know), and come in multiple tiers, up to 16 + various buffs that can even make the same tier maps much harder or easier for specific builds.  

You'd also want to test various delve levels, at around depth 600 or so just to make sure you are really stressing the system. (again, another end-game system with a 'infinite' scaling depth system that makes things progressively harder as you go deeper).  

Ideally this would all be tested by an experience player on a variety of systems, so this would likely need to be a collaboration between LTT & a PoE streamer.  I don't know who is in Canada, so I can't make recommendations, but it would really interesting to see this tested in a more extensive fashion.  A collab with streamers like Empyrean or Zizaran would be awesome.  Just a thought, probably impossible during these COVID times. PoE players often run maps in batches of 100 or 500, so the 'testing' part wouldn't bother most of them, it's just the hardware access and methodology to make it something more definitive that's the problem.  I would watch the heck out of a channel that went through and tested what's the best hardware for a lot of different games in a way that can be replicated.

Simple video idea, but I can not seem to find a clear anwser. Does wireless charging ruin your battery in the long run or not, and if it does what kind of chargers are the worst. 

Could possibly add fast charging in the test aswell.

Could be a topical video as people and products go more and more wireless.

Greetings from Finland.

1 hour ago, Epharian said:

Okay, here's a question I'd love to see properly answered.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Linus Media Groupd should review the Alphasmart 3000 and try to water cool it

117B1CB9-A12F-4A18-A70D-DEA537DAF54C.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Brony_Pinkie94 said:

Alphasmart

I remember the Alphasmart Neo's or whatever they called it being used back when I went school. Damn it has been that long already!

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

A part list comparison

Get a couple of build lists from different sources like fiverr, other people in the tech field, a post on here (from an account that’s not an ltt staff), or anywhere else and compare them to each other and a parts list made by lmg staff

You could compare performance, part quality, building experience, and performance per dollar and say what you guys would change about each build and maybe make one the winner.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 hour ago, Brony_Pinkie94 said:

Linus Media Groupd should review the Alphasmart 3000 and try to water cool it

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Has LTT ever reached out to press@fb.com to see if they would be given access to give a facebook tour?

Facebook in the past has given access to their prineville data center to the Science channel to show off their Prineville, OR site when it was originally built back in 2011, back when it was only 1 building. As of a few weeks ago facebook has publicly announced they broke ground on their 9th building on this site alone, with multiple sites around the world. Yes I know the video shows it was uploaded in 2017, I promise it was filmed in 2011-2012 as you cannot see the construction of building 2 in the video.

It would be amazing if LTT could get access imho to make a video about it. As someone who has worked there, i promise you you'd be blow away by what you would see.

Circled in red is the facebook site now, even though google images hasn't updated, that is their property and its nearly full

fb_google_map_image.PNG

Hello Linus Media Group, I am a long living LTT Fan who has a great video project suggestion that I would like to see if you would be interested in creating and filming. I was watching a YouTube video of DIY Perks of how u can use a Samsung Galaxy smartphone to essentially DIY a Samsung Dex powered Laptop. Naturally I became curious and excited to see what your thoughts are about it, maybe go a step further,improve the design, something LTT themed, maybe use a more powerful phone, or phablet etc.

let me know what you think about this idea,

Thank You in advance

18 hours ago, AMD is better than intel said:

Do a video on trying to break the highest CPU clock speed

This would actually be a decent video if the GPU der8auer for CPU Overclocking or k|ngp|n for the GPU side. 

I would love to see a review/comparison of wireless earbuds who’s charging cases double as speakers.

So far i have found 2 different models. The phiaton bolt (came out a few months ago) and the Duolink speaker buds (currently on Kickstarter but UAC just got a pair of them to review so they would probably give LMG a review unit too)

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Hi.
I had an idear for a cool video.
Maybe a "DO NEVER TRY, DAMAGE EXPECTED"-style video.
Try absolutly uncommen (maybe inpossible) cooling solutions:
Filling up a Watercooling with mercury (the WHAT(?)ercooling), using pure gallium between cpu und cooling solution (Pay attention to not use gallium on Aluminium, this is extremly corosive (special machined parts needed)), running the WHATercooling on alcohol, beer, tomato soup (get creative). Try to make it work on a obsolet (ready to die) Hardware and rank the fluids. Maybe we get a suprising result. Think you get the point. Have fun ^_^