Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Suggestion: try to beat a Ryzen 9 with a Threadripper (the 3990x would be the hardest) in games. Useful for people who need a Threadripper for productivity, but also enjoy AAA games. Bonus points if you don't need to disable cores or disable SMT (as that's annoying to do in practice)

1. Pin games to a subset of the cores for improved cache locality and reduced IPC latency

2. Pin system processes to a different subset of the cores to reduce cache contention and reduce preemption

3. Overclock the hell out of the Threadripper. Or even better, selectively overclock the subset of cores where the games are pinned, for reduced power draw and better thermals

Would this beat a Ryzen 9? Would it at least be enough to match it, given that they have the same core design? How much cooling would you need to pull this off? Would be really interested in seeing this.

1 hour ago, dcex said:

I found this odd thing. I don't think I fully understand what it does and how it works, but it connects 2 SO-DIMM into one regular DIMM slot.

If I got it right the SO-DIMM are DDR, while the regular DIMM part is DDR2. Look at this beauty: 

spacer.png

http://www.mfactors.com/jet-5445-ddr2-dimm-to-dual-144pin-sodimm-32bit-adapter/

To me what's interesting is that there seems to be a jumper to select which of the two SO-DIMMs to use. Without it, I would have assumed that this converts two single-rank SO-DIMMS to a dual-rank DIMM. Instead, it appears to act as a single-rank DIMM, using only one of the two SO-DIMMs, and you have to physically access the DIMM to change the jumper in order to switch to the other. Or maybe I'm not grasping how that jumper works.

A video on how Dolby Atmos or DTS X is produced and made would be awesome.

11 hours ago, dcex said:

I found this odd thing. I don't think I fully understand what it does and how it works, but it connects 2 SO-DIMM into one regular DIMM slot.

If I got it right the SO-DIMM are DDR, while the regular DIMM part is DDR2. Look at this beauty: 

http://www.mfactors.com/jet-5445-ddr2-dimm-to-dual-144pin-sodimm-32bit-adapter/

The JET-5445 DDR2 240pin to 144pin (x2) adapter is designed for testing 144pin DDR2 memory module (for printer etc). It is used to protect the memory module socket.

Seems it just only connects one of the SODIMM slots to full size DIMM based on the jumper, nothing exciting. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

43 minutes ago, David Ogletree said:

Ryzen 3900 XT overclocking 

Why did you buy the highest-binned chip if you don't know sh*t about ocing?

They already did it:

Consider overclocking RAM as well:

On 7/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Linus,

ROG PHONE 3 is launching 10 days from now so please make a video at Linus Tech Tips.

https://www.asus.com/event/ROG-PHONE-3/

Shortcircuit ASUS ROG Phone 3 (2 triggers) and then make a LTT video with a pro gamer to review it against Nubia Red Magic 3S (3 triggers) and Nubia Red Magic 5G (2 triggers).

(I own a Red Magic 3S and searching for ASUS ROG Phone 2 comparissons or any gamining-oriented-mobile-devices-review, I noticed that almost NONE YouTubers know how to distinguish the potential and benefits from each device, since none are real-life pro or amateur gamers)

ALSO please delve into Online Gaming more...

... reviewing Mechanical VS Electric triggers like FlyDigi CapAir, Flydigi Shadow Stinger, and other triggers alike to use on mobile devices.

HINT FOR REVIEW: You can't place external triggers on the left-hand side of a Nubia Red Magic 3, 3S and 5G due to the fan-exaust grid being placed there.

Take care, and take care of somebody else.
George Carlin: Jammin' in New York 1992

</>

I would like to see LTT series that is the antithesis of Black Mirror. You have your regular content that sheds light on ongoing issues with technology/security/privacy (especially on WAN show).

Can we see an ongoing series that delves into envisioning a more positive Star Trek like utopian technology world would look like?

Just leave out any negative thoughts and practice some sort of stubborn optimism to create one instance of positive influence on society each episode.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

On 7/18/2020 at 6:09 PM, josencarnacao said:

From re-viewing the video

and listening at 1:39:17 the troubles and solutions Linus faced to help his somewhat tech-laic grandparents I got this GREAT VIDEO IDEA that I don't think anyone explored yet (searched YouTube and found none like it)

Get Edzel Yago to play grandma and Taran Van Hemert to play grandpa, and considering Linus experience and experience from fans on this thread, LMG writers could iterate in a series of videos or just in one, how ONE could help out grandparents and other family members to get ISP service working and seting up a solution to keep in touch with relatives.

COVID-19 Pandemic is not going away soon, and thus, one / or several video tutorials could be a "life saver" for a lot of LTT fans less knowledge on the advantages to get 2nd hand hardware and online crutial services needed to setup the whole shebang.

My inspiation comes mainly from this video, but also most of the Scrapyard Wars series and the solution for Yvonne's parents home at Singapore.

I like the idea of just getting fan submissions for what kinds of things they have difficulty helping non-tech literate people and doing one big live stream answering those questions. But I can see most of the issues would arise when using something completely different. You can show how to work with an Asus router all day and get no result because the other party has a locked down ISP modem combo.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

A new video titled "Should I hire this guy? PC building with Brian the Electrician!"

Exactly as the title says, make it happen! :D

| CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM - Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 CL 16 3200MHz RGB RAM | GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB | Motherboard - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk |

| PSU - Gigabyte Aorus AP850GM | Case - NZXT H510 Flow | YouTube - SgtKenzo |

1 hour ago, SgtKenzo said:

A new video titled "Should I hire this guy? PC building with Brian the Electrician!"

Exactly as the title says, make it happen! :D

I don’t think he’s an electrician anymore. I believe he now works with refrigeration. Either way, another video with him would be very nice.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Home office PC build. Not intended for gaming. Mainly streaming 4K video content. 

V/R

Thomas Morr

Hi,

I have a suggestion for a topic for a video. These days you have high
endurance flash memory, i.e. in SD-cards. Except from the manufacturers
datasheet, there is little info on the net about how reliable these
cards really are compared to normal cards. Reliability testing can be
quite complicated, so this is probably the reason.

There are however some tricks in the IC-industry to do accelerated life
testing. I.e. put the device under extreme load, increase the supply
voltage, increase the environment temperature, ... . For non-flash ICs,
a temperature above 120°C is needed and they typically test for a
multiple of 1000 hours. (HTOL testing). For flash I expect this to be
more practical.

kr,

Jef

On a recent WAN Show, Linus mentioned interest in looking at / testing Sony's personal air conditioner. As soon as I saw it, I thought of an Embr Wave (I've got one that was part of their first production run from 2018, still in its original packaging, never used), which essentially is the same type of product as what Sony is producing, but it's a wrist worn device instead of back mounted. If you'd like to compare the performance of the Sony cooler against the Wave, you guys can have mine. I used another one for a bit, but never found it satisfying as a personal cooler, but others have made glowing reviews for the thing, so might be worth checking out. Box should weigh about a pound when shipped.

Seeing Linus building a lot of budget/mini but no compromise PCs, I would really love to see a dedicated budget build for people who need to do scientific computing. A notable application is Machine Learning.

Some ideas:

- GPU price/performance for Neural Network training (Pytorch/Tensorflow). There is definitely a ladder between a GTX 1650 Super and an Titan RTX (or a Quadro)

- Intel vs AMD similarly-priced processors performance on BLAS/LAPACK/Sparse BLAS + Numpy/Scipy/C++/Fortran benchmarks (eg large matrix inversions)

- An Anthony special for Linux and scientific libraries installation and debugging on AMD (I've seen a lot of problems with AMD for scientific applications on Linux over the last 3 years - some might still be relevant)

- Ability to expand and scale both storage and RAM (some applications can be absolute RAM hogs; 10 GB Ethernet is often a bonus as well)

Linus Tech Tips

$h!t Manufacturers Say

Some MSI motherboards have a USB port that is marketed (and explicitly labeled) as VR Ready. I haven't seen much documentation around what it actually does, except for marketing claims of a better connector, controller, and power delivery.

• Compare USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port with MSI VR Ready USB Ports

• Test on Valve Index and Oculus Quest as best and worst headsets

• Latency

• Is the polling rate actually faster?

• Can you further overclock the VR Ready polling rate?

• Can you overclock polling rate of VR on USB 3.1 Gen 1 and get same or better benefits?

• Interference

•  Overall glitchiness / signal loss comparison

• Power

• Can you have a longer cord without signal loss using VR Ready than USB 3.1 Gen 1?

• More reliable power?

• Not sure how to test this one outside of maybe less glitchiness from power fluctuations.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/msi_adds_vr_optimised_usb_ports_on_their_next_generation_gaming_motherboards/1

Loading Your Entire OS into RAM

I know there have been videos around this before, but I'd love to see a video comparing performance with some of the Linux distro's that run entirely in RAM versus normal distro's. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions_that_run_from_RAM

Should you even care what USB port you connect to?

• USB 2.0 v SS v SS 10
  • USB 2.0 - 480 Mbps
  • USB 3.0 / USB 3.1 Gen 1 / Super Speed - 5 Gbps
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 / Super Speed+ / Super Speed 10 - 10 Gbps

Use Data Transfer speeds as Baseline / Control
Input Latency
(Wired Mouse comparison with high speed camera)

Testing both with device connected through an otherwise empty USB Hub

Testing both with device connected through a usual gaming setup (mouse, keyboard, controller)

Testing both with device connected through a Streamer setup USB Hub (mouse, keyboard, controller, web cam, mic, headset, Stream Deck, ...)

Testing both with fully loaded USB Hubs and active file transfers from multiple inputs (artificial max load test)

Does Windows v Mac v Linux matter with USB handling?
Any significant difference in MOBO ports v front ports?

Channel Super Fun

Linus' Revenge Prank on Colton for the Pregnancy Prank

Linus Drop Tips (Skydiving)

It's all marketing bull. And it's also 4 years old and has disappeared since.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Not a video content suggestion per se, but have you considered uploading Chinese subtitles to YouTube from your official subtitlers over at Bilibili? It’d be great to see more languages on YouTube subtitle options, and that shouldn’t take much effort anyway — just ask them to send over the subtitle source and upload to YouTube — as simple as that.

It would help not only overseas Chinese speakers to access subtitles with a better speed (Bilibili isn’t always as fast as YouTube outside of China), but also help those who are learning Chinese through subtitles of videos they like to watch.

Could you start doing videos on parental controls and things to look for to protect Kids on Windows and Mac. As well as kid learning technology/reviews. The current videos out there are terrible and boring. With Linus having Kids it would be a great way to bring his experiences to others. The Keno PC ones you guys have done are awesome and I want more.

I know when I was a kid I found every way possible to get around parental controls and locks to do what I wanted. I want to make sure my niece can't accidentally get into trouble due to an oversight on my part or a parental control lapse. I also don't want to make it so she can't install programs and do school research without getting everything blocked as schools do. That makes learning discouraging. Thank you.

A tool to look at and review perhaps. It allows IT geeks to put multiple OS's on one USB stick without needing to format and boot up from them. You can even put your own apps you need as well. It can be a great deal of help, especially for Anthony and when setting up test PC's.

http://www.easy2boot.com/download/

how about Linus and Anthony going all out in trying to play Black Dessert Online on remastered ultra graphic settings with no compromises on no major dips to framerate

Probably not the first to ask (I know i heard it in some video) but I (and I’m assuming many others) would love a gaming channel with gameplay, reviews, and live-streams.

#linusgamingtips

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

I’m assuming many others

including Riley (watch today's TechLinked lol)

yeah it'd be cool haha!

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1