Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Optane 905P vs H10

- Linus has been talking about Optane for his editors lately and I'm confused here, it's snappier because the Media Cache & Scratch for Premiere are on it? or is something else?
- These two Optane drives are both talked about for their nice snappy response, but which is snappier? Lets go head to head!

Linus, I've been building up the parts for my fiancee to have a system, and considering giving her my Radeon 5700XT and maybe buying me a RTX3080ti, but ONLY if it supports PCI-E 4.0, because I know it's not gonna be bottlenecked per se, but would like the additional performance if I end up getting into more youtube editing/AI programming stuff.  Can you make a vid about anything about PCI-E 4.0 Nvidia vs AMD on any possible bottlenecks or similar?

I'd like to see a video about the speech-assistant 'Jarvis' on a Raspberry. Started a project about it myself, but the Raspberry died.

And a new video about a PC-Guide for 3D-Content creators would be nice too.

Loved the XBox pc, I so want to do 1, how about 1 in a NES case, The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) has a height of 3.5” (88.9 mm), width of 10.1” (256 mm), depth of 8” (203.2 mm), and approximate weight of 5 lb (2.27 kg).Apr 9, 2020, if a XBox case made to fit pc parts existed to buy, I might get it. Infact, I am thinking if I ever have to get anothe MB for a upgrade, it would be awesome to build a sys from this in a XBox case, To bad the CPU won't line up with the middle, I could just make the middle of the X a window & put my LED fan/cooler in. It wouldn't fit in this case. :(

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Linus and Luke Personal Phone Repair

Hi there guys, 

I don't post on here hardly at all but while watching the WAN show tonight I noticed the back glass on Linus's phone was cracked and then they both started discussing Luke's issues. I'm a manager at a chain of phone/mobile device repair shops in Tulsa, Oklahoma (US) and have a lot of experience in this field. The back glass on Linus's Note 9 would be an incredibly easy fix as I'm able to remove and install a new one in less than 5 minutes depending on whether or not the replacement back glass already has the rear camera lens pre-installed. Just requires heat, a very thin and small wedge only 1-3 mm thick such as a sesamo or a "curved screen dissembler", some double sided adhesive tape only a few mm's wide (2-4 mm) and a pair of scissors. The back glass can be found on many reputable sites such as Amazon or Mobile Sentrix and can vary from $5 with no logo to $15-$40 with the Samsung logo. May also replace the battery for another $5 while your at it which will also require a spudger and an iFixIt driver kit. 

Luke's issue is possibly a software issue but more often than not it is due to a defective proximity sensor. The proximity sensor usually sits at the top of the device near the ear speaker and is used for turning off the screen while the phone is near your face to prevent accidental screen input. Luke, in order to work on a Pixel device it is much more tedious and delicate due to having to first remove the screen in order to access the inside of the device. Once you successfully remove the screen everything is fairly easy and straight forward from there. While your in there I would highly recommend replacing the battery for an extra $5. 

I noticed nobody else in the comments seemed to mention anything about how to address either of these issues and figured a video where Linus and Luke make fun of each other while they repair their own phones would be quite entertaining. Like I mentioned above, I'm not familiar with the forums so if anyone knows which staff member to tag so that they can see and consider this idea please do so! I'm more than happy to do whatever I can to help if LMG decides to persue this as a video idea!

It's time scrapyard wars goes back to the scrapyard! Since on YouTube people always claim how easy it has become to build a PC, go further back in time. ATX is around since the late 1990-ies. YouTube after 2005 - almost a decade in between. It has always been easy!

So the task would be: build a AT based PC. And for the fun: do some office work!

Some task like: digitalize a document (by type it in or scan or or ...), transfer it to the other team, they have read it and print it. Transfer could be via network or floppy disks or tape drives. I don't care. Teams can agree on one set of hardware or just tell the other team what to send or what they have to use. Some cruelty might come up here. soldering gives minus points. finding the correct adapters of the time gives plus points.

The most efficient team to do both (send, read+print) wins.

Games? Don't know 😁 - optional to me.

And maybe dress up like the in the 80-ies 😋

I just watched Linus V Brandon with the cameras and Taran v Justin with editing. 

What if Linus did a video competing with Tara where Taran has to use a Windows xp/7 pc with older software to edit a video and Linus uses Tarans usual balls-to-the-wall editing setup? 

That would be pretty cool

43 minutes ago, CallamGC said:

Tarzan

🤣

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

🤣

I hate autocorrect 😂

21 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

Linus,

ROG PHONE 3 is launching 10 days from now so please make a video at Linus Tech Tips.

https://www.asus.com/event/ROG-PHONE-3/

Merged to correct thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

We all know that Linus is a fan of the new Apple Watch and is actually wearing one, while driving an Android phone as his daily driver. He must have an iPhone lying around, but I would like to know what his experience is with such a setup and how much of the Apple Watch functionality he gets this way.

I was watching his $69 video (Love re-watching his vids) but I had an idea about doing a yearly build, meaning build a computer with all the good specs that came out in that year. So build the best 2008 pc with only 2008 pc parts. Idk why but I think it sounds like an amazing idea lol.

Just now, PinkBatman10 said:

I was watching his $69 video (Love re-watching his vids) but I had an idea about doing a yearly build, meaning build a computer with all the good specs that came out in that year. So build the best 2008 pc with only 2008 pc parts. Idk why but I think it sounds like an amazing idea lol.

They did this. It’s called 10 years of gaming.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

3 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

oops my bad xD. Didn't see/kinda forgot they did make a video on that.

5 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Ok but what ifff, they did fan made pcs. Fans enter the specs and things the have/wanna see, they make the device and tell you what you should do to upgrade it or make it better, the cheap upgrade and expensive upgrade. Also yes ik they could just tell you, but its fun watching him build a pc especially if its your pc that you have. Like if he built my pc (Cuz some of my parts arent in PC building sim smh) and showed what I could do to overclock it or something, that'd be cool. Or he tells me what upgrade I personally could do without spending to much money. Cuz lets face it, its a pain in the ass to google it and go through tons of articles.

Do something similar to where Linus reads the hate-comments, but this time, have him read it on a livestream. Public humiliation is bound to be epyc.

1 hour ago, PinkBatman10 said:

Ok but what ifff, they did fan made pcs. Fans enter the specs and things the have/wanna see, they make the device and tell you what you should do to upgrade it or make it better, the cheap upgrade and expensive upgrade. Also yes ik they could just tell you, but its fun watching him build a pc especially if its your pc that you have.

LTT has 11.3M subscribers, imagine how that would go. You'd have more chance of winning the lottery than your PC being picked.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

LTT has 11.3M subscribers, imagine how that would go. You'd have more chance of winning the lottery than your PC being picked.

Well, last time I checked, there were less than a million viewers on their livestream, which is less than the chance of winning the lotto. But even if all 11.3 million showed up, my Google search says the chances are much higher. But I do agree with the slim chance of actually being picked. 

Don't know if this is okay with the forum rules but aI think it could be a cool opportunity. I saw someone on Facebook Marketplace selling an NVIDIA Jetson TK1 DevKit with shipping available and thought it was worth sharing. I think it'd be cool if LGM bought it and maybe did a video on it. 

Here's a link to the listing: 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/317920952935077/

to be honest, I didn't know what it was at first so I decided to do a little digging. Apparently you can actually get them (if you're a developer) for $192 USD directly from the NVIDIA site: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/buy/jetson-devkit

I've been doing a little reading on them and it looks like it could be pretty cool and informational. 

Even if they decide not to jump on it, I think it's still worth sharing here. If LGM passes on it and one of you guys to pick it up, definitely let us know (or at least me) I'd love to hear from you! 

it's basically a raspberry pi and a GT 710 fused into a single board.

the GPU in the TK1 is actually very similar to a GT 710.

Some equally cool but useless things are used nvidia Teslas and intel Xeon Phi, both are really cheap nowadays and can do some interesting stuff, and in both cases I am really temped to pull the trigger.

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Now that MSFS is in pre-order, maybe LTT could do a video on it? They may be able to work out a deal with Microsoft and Asobo Studios to be able to show some footage from the simulator to viewers.

I know a lot of flight sim fans would love to see LTT cover more of the flight simulation market (especially since PCs are a big part of it, and most flight sims require pretty decent rigs)

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

10 hours ago, Persomatey said:

Even if they decide not to jump on it, I think it's still worth sharing here. If LGM passes on it and one of you guys to pick it up, definitely let us know (or at least me) I'd love to hear from you! 

Merged to video suggestion thread. This is the best place if you have any future video suggestions to Linus Group Media.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv