Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I admit, I am not going to read through 99 pages, so apologies if this has been suggested before:

My suggestion is:

A Peltier Radiator

Is it cost efficient? No

Is it better than a radiator? Probably not.

You did a video before, where you tried to mount a Peltier tile to a CPU.  I don't think that was the best way to do it! Not when you can have a Peltier Radiator!

Not that hard to do, I think, you have 3 Peltier tiles mounted together, with a long (you can make your own now) "water block" mounted to each Peltier one after another. 

Since this is not a "cpu" block where flow is so important, you could design your water block to be a bit meandering in the plate, so it is gaining the cooling from the Peltier for a little longer.

Essentially your loop would go like this:

Res/Pump > Peltier 1 > Peltier 2 > Peltier 3 > CPU > Res/Pump

You could also make it semi-edumactional by trying it with 1 Peltier first, measuring the water temp into the Peltier, out of the Peltier, trying different designs of the Peltier flowplate, before moving on to building the "Peltier Radiator".

I think this would be getting back to some of the videos I loved the most pre-human malware, where you guys were building really interesting things and making slightly longer videos testing out the crazy ideas you were having.

I miss those videos, I understand why you are not making them, but thinking, well this really could be done with social distancing intact, just one person working the machine, collaborative thinking over skype etc.  Could be doable?

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Extremely basic: Adding an SSD to your system with an existing additional HDD + setup. 

I have an idea for a mindbending challenge.

Fabricate a computer with fluid cooling without normal RAD's or Fans.

See which configuration and fluid dissipates heat the best and what kind of components it can handle.

For example; I have read that Methanol seems to have the lowest boiling point temperature.

So I figured, if it can be pushed with a suitable pump through some copper blocks with copper pipes, it will result in to a giant forced vapor chamber with a copper radiator on the (top) outside of the computer subbing as a reservoir.

If my predictions are right, the "surface area" will be expanded due to lower density Methanol has opposed to water.

Added benefit is, copper oxidation does not occur anymore.  

I would be interested in buying some kind of bias lighting setup, that reacts to the colours on my TV similar to Ambilight. The problem is, that I just don't know which would be the best solution. I am not an electrical engineer, so I don't know how I would build my own or if commercial solutions would fit my needs. I think there are a couple of challenges:

• Currently I cannot enjoy HDR, because the TV is too bright and it hurts my eyes. Some bias lighting might solve this, but I think not many led strips are bright enough. Can they overheat the TV if they are too bright?
  • Are there any solutions, that work directly via HDMI?
    • Is G-Sync adversely affected by these solutions?
    • Is there any input lag caused by these solutions?
  • Are games and movies both supported?
    • Is 120 Hz content supported without affecting the output?
    • Is letterboxing on movies taken into consideration?
    • Is 4K content supported?
    • Is HDR content supported?
  • How easy is it to set up?
  • Which solution is the best bang for your buck?

I think I requested it before but I’ll request it again. 

Do a video on Linux compatible wireless WiFi stuff. Most people recommend stuff from like 2013. 

Help noobs know how to pick parts & stuff plz. :) 

Pic for attention. 

FE8EFD59-44F4-4C02-959F-0B67BE11B325.thumb.png.c0a2240e7c366b923b193a23838f0f16.png

So I've been looking around for a new office chair, and after looking through all the marketing for the popular brands, and seeing all the pricing, i went down the rabbit hole of alibaba/express. Was absolutely overwhelming to me, and I couldn't find much information on good brands/sellers. I've found some really cool and interesting stuff, and often waay cheaper than the big brand chairs.

I'd love to hear some sort of guide on whether the chairs on sale there are garbage or gold, what to look for when shopping, or even just a few safe bets.

In the future it would great to have a video on hackintosh post intel transfer as far as I know when they transfer the intel hackintosh will still be possible but it will be interesting to see if it is actually possible to hackintosh with their new silicone ARM cpus.

Will likely take years for someone to develop an emulator, and Apple are going to do everything they can for it to be as hard as possible.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

LTT, could you do a video on the AMD64 instructions?

I'd love to learn more about that.

Thank you. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

On 3/21/2019 at 2:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Linus,

ROG PHONE 3 is launching 10 days from now so please make a video at Linus Tech Tips.

https://www.asus.com/event/ROG-PHONE-3/

LTT, could you review the upcoming Lenovo workstation Thinkpad laptops ? 

such as the P15,P17 and P15s,P14s . 

Thank you. 

@LinusTech @GabenJr @AlexTheGreatish

I have a great idea for a great video to run every Operating System exists on a single machine at the same time :D 🤓🥳

I already started by running this list on my laptop, all running pretty well side by side (attached a screenshot)

- Windows 10

- Ubuntu Linux 20.04

- MacOS Catalina

- iOS 

- Android

- WatchOS

We can also add emulators for ChromeOS, Tizen, WebOS and more 😅

Because why not!

Check this tweet: 

All_OSes_0003.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I build custom Linux systems on different hardware architectures for living 😉

Laptop: HP Envy x360 convertible 13-ay0xxx / Ryzen 7 4700U / 16G 3200MHZ RAM

Desktop: ASRock B450M Pro4 / Ryzen 7 1700X / Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE / Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit 16GB, DDR4-2666MHz / Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD - 500GB / Thermaltake TR2 S - 450W / Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05 Case

29 minutes ago, Shatrix said:

every Operating System exists

Just this list here contains over 600 OSes and it doesn't include even nearly all of them. Notable omissions are all Windows-versions prior to '95, for example.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Doesn't even have TempleOS!

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Doesn't even have TempleOS!

There was this one very neat OS that was written fully in assembler, with a proper microkernel, USB, audio, CD-ROM-support and so on, but it got abandoned by its creator a decade or so ago. It was also a one-man show, but it was actually pretty damn impressive, with a nice, clean and fast UI, alpha-blending and all. I wish I could remember the name, though ☹️

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Nice, would be interested in finding it!

KolibriOS maybe? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KolibriOS That's a whole group and still somewhat active it seems... Maybe you're thinking of its ancestor?

Seems impressive indeed, boots in literally less than half a second in a VM, and you can freaking play Quake in it, in a window to boot 😮

F@H

GPD Win 2

I think a video series around builds optimized for specific software would be a fantastic set of tools.  I'm hoping for something along the lines of "The Best Photoshop Build at Three Price Points".  Or the best Fusion 360 build, or Illustrator, or Premier, or Blender, etc.

My wife and I currently fall somewhere between advanced hobbyists and prosumers looking to become pros, and a PC parts list that's intended to crush a particular creative program would just be amazing.

I've spent hours on Adobe and Autodesk forums trying to find anyone who seems to actually know PCs and how to optimize a build for their respective programs, and that kind of knowledge just doesn't seem to exist in those communities.  LMG uses basically all of these programs and actually has the means to test things like, "Is Photoshop optimized better for Nvidia or AMD cards?"  Or, "Is it better to have Intel's clockspeeds or AMD's core-count for Illustrator?"  "How much does a nice graphics card matter when driving a 4K Wacom tablet?"  "How much RAM do you actually need for a complex model in Fusion?"  Good answers to these questions don't seem to exist and it might just take the trial-and-error that only LMG is capable of doing to really get definitive answers.

11 minutes ago, playludesc said:

I think a video series around builds optimized for specific software would be a fantastic set of tools.  I'm hoping for something along the lines of "The Best Photoshop Build at Three Price Points".  Or the best Fusion 360 build, or Illustrator, or Premier, or Blender, etc.

The thing is fast computer = fast computer.  For all of those programs single core performance is going to matter most, with multicore CPU perf mattering for exporting/rendering, and then basically any GPU will do the trick.  So something like an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + GTX 1650 w 16GB of RAM would be awesome, a fast and large SSD would be a bonus.  From there you can spend more if you want for a better CPU or GPU but with diminishing returns depending on how big your projects are.

1 hour ago, Piececraft said:

Can you review this?

It's a Clevo so we basically already did.

Scrap yard wars with actual scraps. Broken components could be salvaged from FreeGeek, maybe just MOBO, CPU and GPU. I think between Linus, Alex, Anthony and Jake it could get really interesting. Inspired by Jake soldering a capacitor to a broken video card in "The WEIRDEST PC Parts we Found on Aliexpress". I know it's probably way harder than I'm making it sound, but I thought it'd be a nice suggestion.

I saw on r/AMD that ASRockRack has a EYPC ITX-ish board coming out this year (it's slightly wider than normal ITX).

A custom loop 64 core EYPC + Titan RTX small form factor build would be amazing. There's a lot of cases that won't work since a lot of them have the motherboard areas fitted exactly to ITX size, but it looks like it would fit the NZXT H1 for example since it has some empty space on that side under the PSU.

The catalog says its 6.7" x 8.2" instead of the standard 6.7" x 6.7" https://www.asrockrack.com/general/Catalog2020.pdf

So they said fitting an AMD Epyc on a mini-ITX motherboard was impossible...

Nice... lots of custom stuff to do about storage and IO though :/

F@H

GPD Win 2

I would really like to see a Review about the new Nexdock Touch (coming out at the End of August), maybe also in combination with Parsec's Android App to connect to the power of a tower on the go. 

A Round-up of good 2-in-1 Notebooks and Tablets for electronic drawing would also be nice. 

Hey, how about lapping different COOLERs? ❄️❄️ Some of those (especially low budget) coolers have such rough surface, you can actually see it even on low quality photos... Especially those where the copper heatpipes are basically just slapped and shoved into the base of aluminium cooler 🤮

Intel i5-750@4GHz // ASUS Strix-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5@1410MHz core, 7600MHz VRAM // Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3@1600MHz
ASUS P7P55D-E // Enermax PRO87+ 450W GOLD