Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

We always hear about AMD's "fine wine" technology, so maybe it would be beneficial if this was actually tested. 

So what you could do is take competing cards over a few generations, 

1. HD 7970 vs GTX 680

2. R9 290x vs GTX 780ti

3. Fury X vs 980ti

4 .Vega 64 vs 1080ti

And run benchmarks across games from the launch of the 7970 and 680 and run a few flagship game titles from each year, until present day. And compare how, and if, AMD's gpu really does begin to outperform Nvidias over a longer period of time.

Although I do believe it might be pointless to do, since it might show nothing but might be interesting to see if the performance gap reflects the one found at launch.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

so we always see budget builds and bang for your buck pc building from many youtubers but what if you got with bitwit jayztwocents and some of the others who do budget builds and have a composition on who can actually build the best gaming pc on a budget. it could be multiple parts or something like one vid on $500 and the next on a higher budget. show us who can truly build a better bang for your buck and compare them who hase better performace who has the best looking and who had the best build quality ext. just and idea would be fun to see some of the top youtube pc builders duke it out on who builds best. make a fun bet like the looser has to wear the winners brand of clothing on there next video or has to have there items in the video loke the linus water bottle has to be seen in the whole video something like that would be funny. 

So i was looking at a company called 96Boards, which well ARM system, and i noticed this 

https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/

It's a 24-core A53 ARM CPU on a singular board computer. I think it would be awesome to see a comparison of this against the TR 3960X a 24/48 beast of a CPU. Maybe, you could do a Linux based 24 core CPU showdown ( Because this system only supports Debian, Ubuntu and a few other Kernals)

So I looked through my yt- recomandations when I saw an add about a motherboard on a PCIMG Cardhttps://www.ico.de/cpu-karte-picmg-1-0-s1155-b75-2xglan--947i15

Sorry that the site is german but I couldn't find an english site. If this idea will be taken, could you please explain

-how it works

and

-what it could be used for

(if it is not a scam)

It's a form factor for industrial racks. Guess someone made a recent board in order to be able to keep pieces of 90s industrial equipment running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PICMG_1.0

Not a scam, but nothing a consumer would have any use for.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Bit of a computer newbie here but I think I'm a little more knowledgeable than the average consumer. I wanted to know how to hook my laptop up to ethernet (wifi on current router keeps cutting out for me but housemate is a dick and won't let me change the router). Which connection is fastest (and so which [insert port name] to ethernet adapter should I get? i.e. USB-A, USB-C, HDMI, Thunderbolt (even though I don't have Thunderbolt)? Might do well for a video I reckon.

Also a video on different types of ethernet cables, what they mean and they their specifications? I know these might be pretty low effort videos for you guys to make but would be nice to have the answer immortalised in video form because I've been Googling to no avail.

While we're at it, how do I tell the difference between the USB ports on my computer?

Edited by endrixendrix
Additional idea

A video on making custom psu cables.

I recently saw a video with some custom cables and apparently it isn’t as uncommon as I thought. 
I think it would be cool to see someone’s adventure in making some nice custom cables. Or in one of the next high end builds making it a part of it.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

A writer table is the chair.... a monitor arm holding onto the chair and sticks out in front of the editor, all the user has to do is put the monitor to the side (and peripheral, I'll get to that later) and boom, the user can stand up and go wherever they want.

For the peripheral, somehow find a way to bolt it to the chair, but not permanently so that the user still can get out. (Or maybe just get that keymouse thing that James review a little while ago)

For the pc... i dont really know. Maybe you can use that one monitor and pc AIO from Colourful that Linus review a little while ago

I think this is a great way to punish a writer whenever they did something wrong, like they got caught red-handed stealing the cutlery and they're force to use this.. monstrosity for a week or months as a punishment

or maybe just get them an acer predator thronos

Saw this great video of a guy making a custom screen setup for his flight sim and think you guys could have some fun trying something like this in a mix of other games. 

Could lean on the different expertise of your team both in making things and hacking things together on the PC side. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLd-00W2HEg

Modern PBXs with Android based IP clients and fun stuff like that! 👀

After watching some Scrapyard wars I had this idea:

ScrapyArt wars!!!!!
Rules: Two teams 3-5 members each, composed of anyone from LMG or friend channels.

Limited Budget

Goal - Make the best Gamer-PC look alike thingy. This means no actual PC parts and hardware like monitors, gaming chairs, ram sticks, etc.

You can browse the internet, but not actually shop from it, only physical stores, and no pc-related stores, unless you got to a wallmart like place and never go near the pc hardware section.

All tools available except the ones that require a computer to operate, and no shopping for finished products like wooden-cpu block or whatever, everything needs to be handmade.

Required components - Chair, Monitor*, mouse, keyboard, pads in general (mouse pad, etc), PC case, cables (for everything), PSU, GPU*, CPU, CPU Cooler*, Ram sticks x2*, Motherboard, 1x hard drive* and 1x ssd/m2* minimum.

*Can have more parts like double monitors or 8x ram, and also "water cooling" or air cooling on the GPU and other components but GPU extra cooling is not required.

No computer related things can be used like gaming led strips (although you can buy general-use LEDs to make your rgb mechanical keyboard (sound matters as well)), so no arduino to control LEDs, and no real pc power supply (other sources of power are ok).

Parts must look like real parts that exist, so no doritos shaped GPU, or round CPU. Even though the CPU will be hidden by the cooler, it needs to exist.

That's pretty much all of it, have fun

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

A video about what kind of pc you should get for 3d programs like Maya.

4 hours ago, Ultimate gamer said:

A video about what kind of pc you should get for 3d programs like Maya.

i think LTT already made a video about this, here's the vid

It is 2 years old now but I think it's still holds up (No I'm not a profesional pc dude so I don't really know how much this vid still holds up)

I have two ideas I'd love to see:

1. A Firewalla review, maybe get a gold version early and show how to use a Pi-hole in conjunction. I keep getting their ads and I'm curious.
  2. A look into reconfigurable computing and FPGAs. I've been studying this field and I would love to see these ideas become more commonplace. I could also put you in touch with a veteran researcher that got into the field when it was brand new.

Edit: I can't guarantee that my professor, the researcher I mentioned, would be interested in talking to LTT about the topic; but he's a pretty cool guy and has published research so I imagine he would be open to the idea. 

Since you like expensive stuff, would love to see a review for the Devialet phantom wireless speaker.

a review of the new blade stealth ? 

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Linus should do a video called, "Who can build a pc faster, Wifey or a 13 year old?" Both contestants will use the same parts (or different) and whoever wins, gets bragging rights or something. The loser must have a punishment...

i really hope you make an update version of this tutorial video. maybe for 3 gamers coz most of the high end motherboards have 3 slots for gpu. maybe with 3900x or 3950x or even the upcoming 4xxx.

I cant find any video such as this one anywhere, simple yet informative. 

1 hour ago, FizzzLIVE said:

Linus should do a video called, "Who can build a pc faster, Wifey or a 13 year old?" Both contestants will use the same parts (or different) and whoever wins, gets bragging rights or something. The loser must have a punishment...

Or maybe Yvonne vs their kids? If the kids need help they can ask Dennis?

or just Dennis vs their kids (unless Dennis has improved a lot since his last building videos)

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

3 hours ago, zeusthemoose said:

Or maybe Yvonne vs their kids? If the kids need help they can ask Dennis?

or just Dennis vs their kids (unless Dennis has improved a lot since his last building videos)

Yea maybe that. Idk

I would like to see more in depth factory tours. More along the lines of documentaries that encompass the entire process pipeline to some extent. I would assume much of it would be explained through graphics. Seeing stuff like raw programming wouldn't be entertaining but to get really technical you could do these tours and give a few mins to explain the company culture, project management styles and how the teamwork allows for the creation of a product.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

I just found this ad on youtube for "cheap gaming pcs" and I would be glad to see a review since it sounds too good to be true.

Ad:

How about a Noctua colored PC? I mean many people complain that the brown fans wont fit with the color theme of the PC… so…. Just turn the rest of the PC brown xD it may look like sh*t but maybe its going to look nice.

1 hour ago, _Omega_ said:

How about a Noctua colored PC? I mean many people complain that the brown fans wont fit with the color theme of the PC… so…. Just turn the rest of the PC brown xD it may look like sh*t but maybe its going to look nice.

Someone on the forum actually did this already:

9 minutes ago, gloop said:

Someone on the forum actually did this already:

oh, havent seen it but it looks really nice