Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

What's up all,

I had a great idea for the next scrapyard wars. $1,000 to build with a couple catches. The catches are your build has to include rgb, custom water cooling system(you have to build it from scratch only tubes, pumps, CPU and GPU has to be water cooled as well using store bought metals, fittings, and tubes), and lastly you have to build a case from scratch ( meaning building it completely enclosed using wood or scrap metal with unique airflow designs, and able to take off side panels). With this being said I would say a week to build this and run benchmarks, games benchmarks, lastly CPU and GPU usage percentage. While at standard and overclocked on both CPU and GPU. To find out the winner it would be based off of case design, airflow designs, and water cooling design by judges. The second half is the average of all benchmarks both overclocked and standard. Winner is the highest score of everything tallied up together.

I would like to see how fare you could push the mad threadripper 3990x with a multi gmer 1 cpu

On 3/3/2020 at 7:07 PM, Bitter said:

What is a waterbutt?

Just a large barrel that connects to the gutters of your house to collect rainwater.

1 hour ago, Jetfighter808 said:

Just a large barrel that connects to the gutters of your house to collect rainwater.

Ah that's not a term we have here, thank you.

I want to see Linus trying to use Linux as his daily driver for a week. I bet it'd be very interesting ?

No idea if it's been mentioned before, but how about Linus meets Linus? Or, the creator of the most used OS kernel meets the online Tech-dropping Champ :P

Although I'm not so sure mr Torvalds would be up for it, from what I understand he doesn't particularly like being the centre of attention, let alone being revered as some sort of tech-god. But it would give Anthony a perfect excuse to hone his Linux skills even further ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Could you do a video on some of the best bang for buck monitors/ combination of monitors for productivity? Not everyone needs  <1ms response time monitors with with 240hz refresh rates...

a good video idea would be to explain in more depth the different ssd variants,not just m.2,nvme,sata but also go into differences of mlc,tlc,slc,emlc,qlc,and 3dnand,2d nand,and maybe also go into the controllers of which is fastest and so on,i know for me when i was shopping for a new m.2 drive the research i did was extensive and there is soo much to know about.

Make a tour of the Data Center where the LTT Forum Server is in and show off the LTT Forum Server !!!!

And explain everything about it in a detailed video, please !

@Gegger @Windows7ge

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

5 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Make a tour of the Data Center where the LTT Forum Server is in and show off the LTT Forum Server !!!!

And explain everything about it in a detailed video, please !

@Gegger @Windows7ge

A post-mortem regarding the Friday the 13th funday forum problems would be nice too.  Include plenty of jokes about Linus dropping things.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Dayz is one of those games thats hit and miss with some. YET there’s a new modded server yall should look into.(they’re aboutbto build a dedicated sever) Its “The Apocalypse of Enoch” its based on a book series by the author Shane Moore and there's 3books thats a prequel to the bases of the server. As of now their on dayz, but they have their own standalone in development. A streamer on FB that goes by McG-TV introduced me to all of this great game concept and just wanna show yall the greatness in the making! hope yall could show them some love even if its just advise!!! 

I seriously want to ask linus that can he make something like this. I want a PC which looks like this but performs much better than this, I now you can make this, so please try or just watch the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-z9PidYH4E

41 minutes ago, Saptam said:

that can he make something like this.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Saptam said:

I seriously want to ask linus that can he make s

Merged to official and monitored video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How to build and set up a home nas

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Hi! 

I've registered onto your forum especially to ask you this one question :  I know from older videos that Linus is a fan of UnRaid, and so am I.  About the only "downside" UnRaid has (because of the way it works) is that its throughput speeds are not mindblowing, not compared to a regular Raid array anyway.  But IMO about everything else is better, especially for home users and maybe even small businesses.

But then I started to wonder : now that SSD prices have dropped a lot in the last couple of years, it's slowly becoming interesting to consider using SSD's for use in the disk array (not only as the cache drive!).

So I would love to see Linus make a network speed comparison between :

1. A classic Unraid system with all winchester drives.

2.  A classic Unraid system with winchester drives for its array and SSD's for cache

3. An Unraid system with only SATA600 2.5" SSD's

4. An UnRaid system with only NVMe SSD's.

Of course all tested with 10 Gbe cards...  as far as I can see, nobody has ever done this before.

I'm curious to see if this would work, and how much difference it would make.  Sure, this would make the server about 5 to 6 times as expensive, but as a home user I'm not looking for hundreds of Terabytes of storage anyway, so this just might be worth it...

Cheers!

1 hour ago, TrainFan2020 said:

How to build and set up a home nas

Technically they've already got some great videos on the topic:

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Hey everyone 

Can I suggest adding another benchmark to show laptop/desktops performance? I think adding keyshot to the software use might be beneficial. As a student for industrial design it can help a ton in choosing the right laptop to purchase. 

A video on how to configure a home server for gaming would be sweet

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I think a video outlining the pros and cons of switching from x86 based CPU's over to ARM would be an interesting subject to discuss. ARM based SOC's already dominate the mobile market with the exception of laptops. But we're already seeing that change with MS's newest Surface Pro (not a great success) and rumors of Apple finally ditching Intel based x86 processors in favor of their own ARM based SOC's currently found in their phones and tablets. Pros: portability, efficiency, and battery life. Cons: transitional hurdles (i.e. x86 emulation needs to be implemented to offer backwards compatibility with current software and time for developers to catch up.)  

Back in 2007 when our Microwave died I decided to take it apart and put my old Computer inside of it.

I also had a Display lying around wich had exactly the size of the window of the microwave.

Before I took it apart I took a picture of the inside of the microwave and used it as the Background picture un the PC.

I think it might be a great idea for some sort of sleeper PC to build an actual powerful gaming PC inside of a microwave.

Mikro-PC004.jpg

Mikro-PC006.jpg

PC 2.JPG

As a result of the coronavirus significant portions of the world are essentially shutting down asking people to work from home and avoid in person interaction. 

I think it would be timely and appropriate to create some videos covering topics such as remote connecting to computer, reviews of various virtual meeting services and software, how to improve your video and audio for a virtual meeting, other technologies that can aid in isolation and remote communications, etc.

For whatever reason people have made coronavirus a dirty word on Youtube but I think videos covering some of these opportune topics would be extremely useful. I personally have been helping a number of people with such things over the last couple days.