Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
1 hour ago, phv said:

This thing has got to be worth a closer look

https://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-rtx-8000-passive

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 hours ago, Kilrah said:

No the card I linked to is 100% passive - no active / fan cooling

@phv It literally makes no difference, it just doesn't have a fan on it becasue it's relying on those in the server chassis it's meant to be mounted in. It'll need just as much cooling.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Apparently this is the place for the following:

Quite new to the forum, so apologies if this has been suggested before or discussed at length.

I really enjoy the testing videos.  I like to see the comparison between products and I think the show does an excellent job of testing components, comes across as really professional; with proper testing, not slap dash throwing on a game and checking in-game FPS.

There is one gripe that I do have and that is when displaying the results.

Horizontal graphs are really difficult to judge quickly.  Especially where there are several different tests within the same graph (think blue, yellow and red lines) with differing results.  So Yellow might be best on one item, but blue is best on another.  This display method makes it really hard to understand the test results, without pausing the video and looking at them for a fair amount of time.

Can I ask why they are not done vertically? Is it simply because the lines might appear 'stumpy' as they are shorter to fit in the video window?

Have you considered alternatives to the graph visual?

For instance, for frames per second in games, comparing GPU/RAM/CPU etc...I don't need a graph line, as really it is much easier to see which is lowest, simply by having a number.  If you put them in order of magnitude, then I don't need a coloured line behind the number, which sometimes makes reading the number harder and limits the space available to display the number.

I am by no way a graphic designer so I am not going to make suggestions, but have you considered alternatives or set one of your designer bods to have a look at a better way of displaying the results?  Something that us real amatuers can quickly understand?

For those like me that enjoy them, but honestly are not at high enthusiast levels, being able to see the results a little clearer would be quite nice.  You could also link to the full results for those that want to get into the nitty gritty numbers in more detail.

Just a suggestion, hope you take it as it is given, from someone who enjoys the show and saw a potential improvement.

9 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

-snip-

So, you want graphs and other diagrams to be clearer and shown longer? I can understand that. What if they put PDF files for the graphs in the description of the video or the top comment? There could also be a library on their site. I like this idea, but it does put more work on them.

I think if they were clearer you wouldn't need them to be shown for longer.

I think you might be right in terms of workload my thought process was that there are probably a lot of people like myself who watch the videos because they are entertaining and we have an interest, but aren't really up there as the people that would be looking at the results with a keen eye - just want to know what came out on top.

2 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

I think if they were clearer you wouldn't need them to be shown for longer.

I think you might be right in terms of workload my thought process was that there are probably a lot of people like myself who watch the videos because they are entertaining and we have an interest, but aren't really up there as the people that would be looking at the results with a keen eye - just want to know what came out on top.

True. Also, quote or tag me and others so we can see the replies. I don't always check back on threads I've commented on til later unless I have notifications on.

5 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

True. Also, quote or tag me and others so we can see the replies. I don't always check back on threads I've commented on til later unless I have notifications on.

Thanks!

Steep learning curve here, but I will catch up :D

If you watch GN you've got nice detailed graphs that stay a long time and are commented in all possible way... on LTT it's always been more "the graphs are flashed there if you really want to go see the detail" but the usual audience is expected to just listen to the spoken conclusions and not care about the details...

F@H

GPD Win 2

Watercooling a portable cooler?

Since they mainly run off 12V Peltier module with a fan, it should be pretty easy to replace radiator with AIO water cooler. Would it increase cooling speed in any meaningful way?

I have to use one pretty frequently, so I always wanted to do it myself, but I lack the funds to buy AIO for my PC, let alone one for a project which could turn out to be be a total failure. Seems like a quick video to make though.

i have an idea for a video 

using 2 different graphics cards in sli whitout sli bridge or whit unsuported cards 

i have heard this is possible by using modified driver for the cards whit differentsliauto software

if this is possible at all people could use their old hardware to boost their gaming fps like me :D

i am using gtx 1660 ti and i have one gtx 970 from my old system so i was thinking to make a use of it other than a paper weight

Edited by SrjBlaze
more stuff

36 minutes ago, SrjBlaze said:

i have an idea for a video 

using 2 different graphics cards in sli whitout sli bridge or whit unsuported cards 

i have heard this is possible by using modified driver for the cards whit differentsliauto software

if this is possible at all people could use their old hardware to boost their gaming fps like me :D

i am using gtx 1660 ti and i have one gtx 970 from my old system so i was thinking to make a use of it other than a paper weight

Different SLI Auto can do this.

18 hours ago, Kilrah said:

If you watch GN you've got nice detailed graphs that stay a long time and are commented in all possible way... on LTT it's always been more "the graphs are flashed there if you really want to go see the detail" but the usual audience is expected to just listen to the spoken conclusions and not care about the details...

I understand that, youtube does have a pause button.

However, even pausing on the graphs, they are difficult to read.

This is for two reasons:

1. Lot of information put on the screen in a way that is not the easiest to see and read;

2. Movement of the tested item - they are not always in the same order.

To give an idea, I did a short video where I replaced the graphs.  It is attached to this post.

I say now and again, I am not a graphic designer, I have access to no tools for graphic design, and I am so inept at graphic design that I couldn't even make the graph fill the entire screen...because it distorted the text.

I created these graphs in Excel and transplanted them to the video via Paint....yes...Microsoft Paint!  Those are the tools I have.

However, I think even despite my inabilities, the graphs are easier to read, you can pause the video and see the information far more clearly and compare easier across the items.

I do not know whether I can post a link to Youtube or whether I can attach the file...let's find out!

In my humble opinion, the graphs are just easier to follow.  Each of the items are in the same place, so your eye can scan across them and not have to re-arrange them to compare, and it is just easier to see quickly a vertical graph as opposed to horizontal.

Your opinion is welcome.

I am an idiot and should have put the original up for comparison.

So here it is for comparison.

Oddly, despite taking the graphics out and exporting at the same settings...this file is larger? God I had working with video...

1 hour ago, TheGreatCalCom said:

what about a cheap graphics card video!!

Been done before:

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Seeing as though the folding response event is imminent how about a folding server build guide for some official backing to the Folding@Home work going on regarding c********us? Especially something that we at home could cobble together in a short time and low enough budget to help!

(God that looks dirty just typing it XD)

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

Welp, that's nothing special... CPUs and GPUs, as powerful as possible and as many as possible...

F@H

GPD Win 2

If you have any of those hard drives left you could do a video building a server to donate to folding@home. I read on the ama on reddit that they are getting close to solving their server problems because of server donations and it might be the push that smooths things out for them.

I've sent this suggestion once via Twitter, didn't knew that this existed (I just created my forum account). I think it would be really fun if you guys reviewed a Ministry of Freedom laptop https://minifree.org to find out if their offering is actually usable at all, explain to people why does it exist and what it implies to privacy-concerned people (there's also a great topic on the lack of the Intel Management engine for example). I believe it could not only be fun to watch Linus rant about the shitty performance it probably has, it could be highly educational and appeal to the ever-growing Linux-curious crowd and privacy-concerned people alike.

My housemate is an engineer and wants to start doing cad at home for relatively simple single or few part designs (brackets, mounts, etc), please do a budget cad workstation like you did with 4k editing. I've suggested he get a used m4000 which are dirt cheap here in Australia and something like an E5-2650 v3 in an old hp z440. Would love to see your suggestion for a "New" build also. He wants to build it by the end of June - for tax reasons haha - but may have to do it sooner as he has pretty consistent blue screen issues with simple tasks on his current pc.

Thanks Team!

Nathan

@CPotter @AlexTheGreatish 

Gaming Pc - 6700k - gtx980 - 16gb 3000 - 1080p

Mac Pro - x5960 - rx580 - 16gb 1333 - 4k

Macbook Pro - Mid 2015 top of range

Race Car - R33 Gtst - Big Turbo - All the Power (Drift)

5 minutes ago, Sedy92 said:

Would love to see your suggestion for a "New" build also.

That depends a lot on what software he's using.

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Sedy92 said:

My housemate is an engineer and wants to start doing cad at home for relatively simple single or few part designs (brackets, mounts, etc), please do a budget cad workstation like you did with 4k editing. I've suggested he get a used m4000 which are dirt cheap here in Australia and something like an E5-2650 v3 in an old hp z440. Would love to see your suggestion for a "New" build also. He wants to build it by the end of June - for tax reasons haha - but may have to do it sooner as he has pretty consistent blue screen issues with simple tasks on his current pc.

Thanks Team!

Nathan

@CPotter @AlexTheGreatish 

Depends on many things, mainly the software and budget.  For simple parts and assemblies up to say 20 parts though basically anything will run it fine.  Like my Surface Laptop 2 can handle editing 20 part models in Solidworks without issue, just the graphics aren't as fancy.  Really the budget 4K workstation video is a great starting point, and although it is out of date now the basic takeaways from this video still stand.