Apple Discontinues iMac Pro

Random_Person1234
Go to solution Solved by ProjectBox153,

Update: I don't know when it happened, but the iMac Pro has officially been completely removed from the Apple website. Refurbished models are still available with a variety of configurations to choose from. 

Summary

Apple has confirmed to MacRumors that they will be discontinuing the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro was released in December of 2017, and has received no substantial hardware changes over it's 3 year lifespan. Apple recommends those who want an all-in-one Mac for professional use should get the latest 27" Intel iMac. Currently, you can only buy a single iMac Pro configuration on Apple's site, with a "while supplies last" notice also on that page. That config contains a 3.0GHz 10-core Xeon W, 32 GB of 2666MHZ ECC RAM, 1TB of SSD storage, a Radeon Pro Vega 56 GPU, 10Gb Ethernet, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports, and a 27" 5k display. This config costs $4,999.99.

Quotes

Apple on late Friday evening added a "while supplies last" notice to its iMac Pro product page worldwide, and removed all upgrade options for the computer, leaving only the standard configuration available to order for now.

We've since confirmed with Apple that when supplies run out, the iMac Pro will no longer be available whatsoever. Apple says the latest 27-inch iMac introduced in August is the preferred choice for the vast majority of pro iMac users, and said customers who need even more performance and expandability can choose the Mac Pro

Released in December 2017, the iMac Pro received no substantial hardware refreshes over its lifetime.

My thoughts

This isn't a surprise given that the iMac Pro was basically released to fill in the time period between the trashcan Mac Pro and the new Mac Pro. I would also recommend against buying the current 27" iMac since Apple is rumored to be releasing a redesigned iMac with Apple silicon soon.

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/06/apple-confirms-imac-pro-will-be-discontinued/

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

That's interesting, but not at all surprising. It hasn't been a great choice for a while now. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

So will Apple be releasing an ARM based Mac Pro sometime soon then?

It’s a shame you can’t plug in an Apple mini and use the display. I’m sure you could make a very low latency screen-share through the thunderbolt.

12 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

It’s a shame you can’t plug in an Apple mini and use the display. I’m sure you could make a very low latency screen-share through the thunderbolt.

That used to be a thing. It's called Target Display Mode, and it was present on the 2009 and 2010 27" iMac and then the 2011-2013/14 non-5K iMacs. I use my 2011 27" iMac as a display for my 2013 13" MacBook Pro, and it's great. Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore with newer Macs. Macs from 2020 and newer can't output to an iMac in TDM, even if the iMac does support it. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Summary

Apple has confirmed to MacRumors that they will be discontinuing the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro was released in December of 2017, and has received no substantial hardware changes over it's 3 year lifespan. Apple recommends those who want an all-in-one Mac for professional use should get the latest 27" Intel iMac. Currently, you can only buy a single iMac Pro configuration on Apple's site, with a "while supplies last" notice also on that page. That config contains a 3.0GHz 10-core Xeon W, 32 GB of 2666MHZ ECC RAM, 1TB of SSD storage, a Radeon Pro Vega 56 GPU, 10Gb Ethernet, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports, and a 27" 5k display. This config costs $4,999.99.

Quotes

My thoughts

This isn't a surprise given that the iMac Pro was basically released to fill in the time period between the trashcan Mac Pro and the new Mac Pro. I would also recommend against buying the current 27" iMac since Apple is rumored to be releasing a redesigned iMac with Apple silicon soon.

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/06/apple-confirms-imac-pro-will-be-discontinued/

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac-pro

I think it's pretty clear that the iMac Pro, just like the Cylinder Mac Pro were not the tools Pro's wanted. They want a traditional tower that is expandable, not a AIO with a built in screen, and not an art-piece.

Like I've tried to rationalize buying Mac's and the only system that has ever justified their costs were the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini, and only to the extent that the Mac Pro is for expandability, and the Mini is for building Mac/iOS software with, it's not terribly useful for any pro application, and likewise most iMac's are in this bizarre niche where someone can get away with an AIO (All in One), like a student, but you are just straight up better having a laptop.

Just now, Kisai said:

Like I've tried to rationalize buying Mac's and the only system that has ever justified their costs were the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini, and only to the extent that the Mac Pro is for expandability, and the Mini is for building Mac/iOS software with, it's not terribly useful for any pro application, and likewise most iMac's are in this bizarre niche where someone can get away with an AIO (All in One), like a student, but you are just straight up better having a laptop.

Not always. Some people just want a desktop computer, not a MacBook plugged into a monitor all the time. The iMac is a one-cable solution for that, and it works really well for a lot of things. The iMac Pro just wasn't what people wanted. 

9 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Rumor has it that Apple will release two Mac Pros, one is an update to the cheese grater SKU with newer Intel Xeon chips and it will be the last Mac to get an Intel chip. The other one will be similar to the design of the Power Mac G4 cube but with Apple Silicon inside instead of an Intel chip.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

ike I've tried to rationalize buying Mac's and the only system that has ever justified their costs were the Mac Pro and the Mac Mini, and only to the extent that the Mac Pro is for expandability, and the Mini is for building Mac/iOS software with, it's not terribly useful for any pro application, and likewise most iMac's are in this bizarre niche where someone can get away with an AIO (All in One), like a student, but you are just straight up better having a laptop.

they still though price the mac pro and iMac pro out of the reach of schools who need new machines from their 2010 or 2012 mac pros

Still waiting on a mini mac pro, just 2-3 expansion slots with a desktop platform xeon

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 hours ago, ProjectBox153 said:

That used to be a thing. It's called Target Display Mode, and it was present on the 2009 and 2010 27" iMac and then the 2011-2013/14 non-5K iMacs. I use my 2011 27" iMac as a display for my 2013 13" MacBook Pro, and it's great. Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore with newer Macs. Macs from 2020 and newer can't output to an iMac in TDM, even if the iMac does support it. 

When I first read though this I was thinking "That's not how target disk mode works", luckily I decided to read it through a second time and noticed you said display, not disk.

I've never heard of this before and had no idea it existed until today. TIL 🙂

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

When I first read though this I was thinking "That's not how target disk mode works", luckily I decided to read it through a second time and noticed you said display, not disk.

Weirdly, I also read "target disk mode", despite knowing about display mode and knowing what they were talking about., and when read your comment, relooked at the origianal and saw it said display.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yea TDM was awesome, was sad to see it go. Was actually semi common for a multiple generation iMac owner to have two iMacs on their desk, the older one being a secondary monitor.

iMac Pro was a stop gap during the wait for the new Mac Pro.

It’s not needed any more, specially with the AS macs that are about to come.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yea TDM was awesome, was sad to see it go. Was actually semi common for a multiple generation iMac owner to have two iMacs on their desk, the older one being a secondary monitor.

It's such a nice feature. I still use my 2011 27" iMac as a monitor. 1440p display, excellent (seriously, excellent) speakers, what more could you want?

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, it's always been a bit confusing as to what models supported it and what Mac works as a source, but I've got it all now. It's a great feature, but it's been mostly gone for a while now. 

17 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Rumor mill is saying there’s this thing that looks like a double or triple thick Mac mini that is going to be the new pro.  Until Apple releases though who knows?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Rumor mill is saying there’s this thing that looks like a double or triple thick Mac mini that is going to be the new pro.  Until Apple releases though who knows?

Is it just me, or did Apple fall quite a bit since Steve Jobs died? I mean the Mac gotten a deal more respect when MacOS X was release and Apple went to get the UNIX Standards.

Just now, whm1974 said:

Is it just me, or did Apple fall quite a bit since Steve Jobs died? I mean the Mac gotten a deal more respect when MacOS X was release and Apple went to get the UNIX Standards.

I dunno.  The last time I bought a Mac Steve Jobs was still kicking. Bought my first one after the toaster Mac was retired.  I tried and fails to do anything useful with a NeXT. I bought their laptops before I bought a desktop.  The first Mac desktop I bought was an 840av. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's almost like a non-expandable prosumer workstation was a stupid idea from the start.

21 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

By all metrics it's only done better over the past decade. It's not gotten better or worse in their design either, every problem you can point to in their products now fits perfectly with the way the company operated under Jobs.

49 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Rumor mill is saying there’s this thing that looks like a double or triple thick Mac mini that is going to be the new pro.

Damn, I wonder why they didn't think of that earlier!

Oh wait they did and it was awful 😛

Looking back at Apple's Cube, ten years later

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, it was never really the kind of machine which would be fitting for a long-term product development cycle, given that it is a stopgap product until a proper Mac Pro was re-introduced.

An all-in-one professional workstation is a niche and not a very sensible machine when long-term expandibility is accounted for.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

41 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's almost like a non-expandable prosumer workstation was a stupid idea from the start.

By all metrics it's only done better over the past decade. It's not gotten better or worse in their design either, every problem you can point to in their products now fits perfectly with the way the company operated under Jobs.

Damn, I wonder why they didn't think of that earlier!

Oh wait they did and it was awful 😛

Looking back at Apple's Cube, ten years later

That one was fanless and really small.  It attempted to work with passive chimney effect air.  Only kind of worked.  Jobs hated fans with a desperate passion.  It killed the apple III.  Also it didn’t look much like a modern Mac mini. The pic I saw looked a LOT like a triple thick Mac mini.

43 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Yes and no.

In terms of sheer inventiveness and audacity, I'd say so. Jobs had an uncanny ability to foresee where tech was going and what it needed to solve. He also wasn't afraid to rethink whole products if he thought there was something better. I still remember how Apple ditched the iPod mini after just a year and a half to replace it with the iPod nano. The modern Apple is more iterative (see how often it reuses designs) and unwilling to take some big risks.

At the same time, post-Jobs Apple has a number of things going for it. In terms of sheer execution, it's brilliant — it knows how to target products at different audiences, and when it designs something well, it dominates (see: AirPods, Apple Watch, M1 Macs and the like). It's also not quite so rigid about its ideology. In the Jobs era, you knew the company would refuse to expand a product line or change with the times because Jobs, specifically, didn't like it (he wasn't a fan of music subscriptions). Cook-era Apple will happily cater to a market if it thinks there's enough interest, or have a change of heart if something didn't work.

We also tend to put Jobs on a pedestal far too often, to pretend that everything he touched turned to gold. He screwed up plenty of times — the misses just weren't bad enough to offset his tendency to deliver hits. iPod Hi-Fi? G4 Cube? Mobile Me? Many of those missteps were specifically Jobs' fault as he entered some categories too soon, misjudged a market or let his personal tastes override what people were really asking for. Apple is legendary for refusing to produce larger iPhones during Jobs' tenure, but it's clearly better off now that it has a whole range of handsets.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It'll be one of the new Mac Pros. There will still be a traditional tower, if the rumors are correct; this is more of an adjunct for people who don't want to spend $6K on a 'headless' desktop and can live without the expansion slots.

27 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It'll be one of the new Mac Pros. There will still be a traditional tower, if the rumors are correct; this is more of an adjunct for people who don't want to spend $6K on a 'headless' desktop and can live without the expansion slots.

I get the impression there are two levels of pro machines.  The $20,000 full towers for making movies with and the thick Mac mini’s for doing graphics.  I’m real interested in what the thick Mac mini’s will cost and what their graphics solution is. If there’s enough gpu and a low enough price I may buy one, run PC games on it at slightly reduced speeds (hence my interest in the GPU.  I’m gonna need a thick girl to do that) and just opt out of the cryptomining BS entirely.

Not surprised. Honestly considering they just reused the shell of the standard iMac with the only difference being the user replaceable stand/VESA mount (who still remembers the shenanigans that brought?), we shouldn't have expected any long term commitments to this thing. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580