Apple Discontinues iMac Pro

Random_Person1234
Go to solution Solved by ProjectBox153,

Update: I don't know when it happened, but the iMac Pro has officially been completely removed from the Apple website. Refurbished models are still available with a variety of configurations to choose from. 

47 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Not surprised. Honestly considering they just reused the shell of the standard iMac with the only difference being the user replaceable stand/VESA mount (who still remembers the shenanigans that brought?), we shouldn't have expected any long term commitments to this thing. 

It was a bit more than that. They designed it in such a way that let them remove the RAM upgrade door at the back. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Is it just me, or did Apple fall quite a bit since Steve Jobs died? I mean the Mac gotten a deal more respect when MacOS X was release and Apple went to get the UNIX Standards.

IMO...

Steve Jobs is not the innovator we think he is. He sees where the technology is going and tries to get in front of it. Like cutting all the Apple products down when he came back to Apple was a good move because a lot of the products they were making, were just not industry leading items. Only the computers were.

With the iPhone and iPad, these were iterative of what was formerly the idea behind the newton. A handheld computer that was designed around touch.

Apple has given up on various products like the Time Capsule/Air Port device, which they really shouldn't have. However all the features found in more recent routers (and ISP's handing out routers themselves) have made it largely redundant. Yet I haven't seen a proper "Time Capsule" NAS. It's like once Apple discontinued it, so did everyone elses attempts at time-machine functionality.

Whatever happened to the Apple TV? The Apple SmartTV never appeared, but the features in the STB largely found it's way into other STB's and SmartTV's.

And that's just the thing that keeps happening. Jobs was good at seeing where things were going and industrial design. Current Apple tends to release products that have forgotten about both of these. Like the cylinder Mac Pro was an interesting design, but it was not what people wanted. The current Mac Pro is what people wanted, but Apple has no computer in between the Mini and the Pro in terms mostly external expandability. Like back in the G3/G4 era, the powermac's and third party clones were much higher performing over a similarly configured Windows PC. 

Like I get it, Apple doesn't want to put out something competitive with a HP/Dell gaming desktop, that's an actual desktop, yet the AIO iMac's always fall super-short of what pro's actually need when put next to a Windows PC, and that's why people keep wanting Apple to put out an expandable system. Steve Jobs didn't like expandable systems. Wozniak said Jobs didn't understand what "computer" experience is supposed to be. That's why Apple products have traditionally have a long life, partially because they are better engineered, but also because they can't be upgraded, people aren't going to replace them as soon as a better one comes out. 

Meanwhile in Windows land, HP, Dell, Lenovo, and pretty much everything that comes from a Japanese, Korean or Taiwan computer brand, can barely differentiate themselves from each other. Many low-end computers are just plain unusable. Like if other OEM's wanted to produce a better product, Apple has to play in that space, and Apple just doesn't.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

IMO...

Steve Jobs is not the innovator we think he is. He sees where the technology is going and tries to get in front of it. Like cutting all the Apple products down when he came back to Apple was a good move because a lot of the products they were making, were just not industry leading items. Only the computers were.

With the iPhone and iPad, these were iterative of what was formerly the idea behind the newton. A handheld computer that was designed around touch.

Apple has given up on various products like the Time Capsule/Air Port device, which they really shouldn't have. However all the features found in more recent routers (and ISP's handing out routers themselves) have made it largely redundant. Yet I haven't seen a proper "Time Capsule" NAS. It's like once Apple discontinued it, so did everyone elses attempts at time-machine functionality.

Whatever happened to the Apple TV? The Apple SmartTV never appeared, but the features in the STB largely found it's way into other STB's and SmartTV's.

And that's just the thing that keeps happening. Jobs was good at seeing where things were going and industrial design. Current Apple tends to release products that have forgotten about both of these. Like the cylinder Mac Pro was an interesting design, but it was not what people wanted. The current Mac Pro is what people wanted, but Apple has no computer in between the Mini and the Pro in terms mostly external expandability. Like back in the G3/G4 era, the powermac's and third party clones were much higher performing over a similarly configured Windows PC. 

Like I get it, Apple doesn't want to put out something competitive with a HP/Dell gaming desktop, that's an actual desktop, yet the AIO iMac's always fall super-short of what pro's actually need when put next to a Windows PC, and that's why people keep wanting Apple to put out an expandable system. Steve Jobs didn't like expandable systems. Wozniak said Jobs didn't understand what "computer" experience is supposed to be. That's why Apple products have traditionally have a long life, partially because they are better engineered, but also because they can't be upgraded, people aren't going to replace them as soon as a better one comes out. 

Meanwhile in Windows land, HP, Dell, Lenovo, and pretty much everything that comes from a Japanese, Korean or Taiwan computer brand, can barely differentiate themselves from each other. Many low-end computers are just plain unusable. Like if other OEM's wanted to produce a better product, Apple has to play in that space, and Apple just doesn't.

I'm well aware of the flaws the late Jobs has when dealing with Computer design. Like with the first Apple II, Steve only wanted two slots in the System. Woz went ahead and put in 8. The Slots were a large part on why the series were high popular.

23 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Not surprised. Honestly considering they just reused the shell of the standard iMac with the only difference being the user replaceable stand/VESA mount (who still remembers the shenanigans that brought?), we shouldn't have expected any long term commitments to this thing. 

What would be real nice is if Apple brings back that feature for the base model iMac.  If over 6 years worth of sales on our own VESA adapter option for these is any indication, people actually do want to mount their iMacs.

Tim Apple said years ago he wants Apple to be a software and services company.

That's what happens when you put the bean counter in charge.

3 minutes ago, willies leg said:

That could mean a lot of things though.  It could for example mean that he wants to sell software and services as well as hardware not dump hardware as you seem to be implying. If so he’s been pretty successful at it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Update: The iMac Pro is no longer available for purchase in Canada or the US. It still remains available in other areas, but who knows how long that will last. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 hours ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Update: The iMac Pro is no longer available for purchase in Canada or the US. It still remains available in other areas, but who knows how long that will last. 

It's back up.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

1 hour ago, Random_Person1234 said:

It's back up.

Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out to see when it finally does sell out. 

9 hours ago, willies leg said:

iu.jpg.c7fadd27df30ebd8b9b713b1ad50536d.jpg

1 hour ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out to see when it finally does sell out. 

The problem with that thing for me is it’s a fantastic $2000 computer, and an ok $3000 computer.  The problem is they’re asking $5000.  Nope from me.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

its just the bad value and price to performance of apple pcs

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

7 minutes ago, the communist potato said:

finally, god i ahte how much and how bad apple pcs are

They’re not bad.  They can be overpriced though, and that particular one is about as bad as it gets.  If it comes down in price I might buy one.  The handle amuses me btw when I think “communist potato” it conjures images of 1970’s Siberia.

Edited by Bombastinator

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They’re not bad.  They can be overpriced though, and that particular one is about as bad as it gets.  If it comes down in price I might buy one.  The handle amuses me btw when I think “communist potato” it conjures images of 1970’s Siberia.

Hey thanks for the support.

my parents don’t really like that name for some reason, but I also think it’s pretty good.

but yeah, the iMac Pro was definitely not worth the cash, and had very little price to performance 

Just now, the communist potato said:

Hey thanks for the support.

my parents don’t really like that name for some reason, but I also think it’s pretty good.

but yeah, the iMac Pro was definitely not worth the cash, and had very little price to performance 

The Soviet Union had a big propaganda thing about how great potatoes were.  “The communist potato could be overly positive or overly negative.  Either way it’s a bit sarcastic so I see their point. 

4 minutes ago, the communist potato said:

Yeah, but is still pretty funny if you ask me, just the thought of a potato with a ushanka with a little hammer and sickle, ak47 in one hand, vodka in the other, with hard bass playing and adidas shoes, pants and tracksuit is what keeps me on my toes when I’m walking, god if I saw one of those things I’d probably scream cuz who wants to get shot by a POTATO for gods sake

Lotta stereotypes there.  The last Russian guy I talked to was wearing an ill fitting maga hat.

Edited by Bombastinator

e

53 minutes ago, the communist potato said:

Just watch literally any hard bass or Slav video on YouTube, and you’ll see what I mean

This is incorrect. There's only one hardbass video that really shows the truth about the great country that is russia... (and that's actually worth watching lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

This is incorrect. There's only one hardbass video that really shows the truth about the great country that is russia... (and that's actually worth watching lol)

Ok actually yeah, that music video is pretty good, what I meant however was Channels like life of Boris, where he is usually wearing a ushanka and a tracksuit, his videos are pretty funny though, so I would recommend watching some of his videos, especially his subreddit ones

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I don't know when it happened, but the iMac Pro has officially been completely removed from the Apple website. Refurbished models are still available with a variety of configurations to choose from. 

12 hours ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Now the real wait for AS iMac starts.

My bet it will wipe the floor with iMac pro performance wise (I mean the M1 allready outperformed the iMac Pro in most aspects).

6 hours ago, Spindel said:

Now the real wait for AS iMac starts.

My bet it will wipe the floor with iMac pro performance wise (I mean the M1 allready outperformed the iMac Pro in most aspects).

It's wild to think someone's seafoam green iMac (if the colour rumorus are true) could outrun a 10-core Xeon workstation that still offered some benefits.

On this note: I wish I hadn't had to buy an x86 iMac in a hurry last year. I'd love to get one of the first Apple Silicon iMacs if there really are 12- or 16-core models. Hopefully with replaceable memory.