Tesla Model S has 10 Teraflops of pure processing power!

Tesla cars are cool for first half an hour and then you start to hate interior and functions designed by a moron. And then you just want to buy Hyundai's EV coz they have freaking buttons to control AC and not this touch idiocy...

The CPU/GPU for the IVI [in vehicle infotainment] system is almost certainly a totally different ECU / hardware box than the central "computer" that controls the safety related systems and self driving, etc....  Combinnig them would be a security/safety nightmare....  [then again, this is Musk / Tesla]

Tesla was already way ahead of their competition on the core computer - that Jim Keller helped design/architect - rival OEMs were literally shocked by the capabilities of the system in the Model 3.... see this article.

Now it looks like their way ahead of other car manufacturers on IVI - most of their competion is using embedded NXP or Qualcomm SOCs with a stripped down & security hardened Android based OS.... if this is truly a PS5/XBox Series X level of APU/SOC, then they are 5 or 6 years ahead again...

My systems:

Spoiler

Family Gaming PC:

• Ryzen 5600X w/ 32 GB - 2 DIMMs of Corsair 3600 MT/s DDR4 RAM
  • ASRock Phantom Gaming 4
  • Radeon RX 6700 XT (Powercolor Hellhound)
  • EVGA 7500W BR PSU

Workstation:

• Ryzen 7950X w/ 64 GB - 2 DIMMs of 5200 MT/s DDR5 RAM
  • ASRock X670E Steel Legend
  • Radeon RX 6600 - ASRock
  • 10 GbE NIC - Asus XG-C100F
  • Seasonic  1200W Platinum Prime PSU

Virtualization server:

• Ryzen 3950X w/ 64 GB - 2 DIMMs of 3200 MT/s DDR4 ECC RAM
  • ASRock X570 Taichi
  • 10 GbE NIC - Asus XG-C100F
  • HBA - Broadcom / LSI SAS2008
  • Seasonic 450W Gold PSU

Lol, elon is just shilling.  The build quality of these cars is quite poor but he's pushing them to tech people who know little to nothing of engineering.  But hey, this puppy's got 10 tflops,  you can game on it while you're waiting for a tow. 

11 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Lol, elon is just shilling.  The build quality of these cars is quite poor but he's pushing them to tech people who know little to nothing of engineering.  But hey, this puppy's got 10 tflops,  you can game on it while you're waiting for a tow. 

Depends what you consider build quality...given you are talking about a tow, I'm assuming you are talking about the internal mechanics which I don't think break down any more frequently than ICE vehicles  (If you have any article, or statistics that prove me wrong by all means post it).  The final fit and finish does need to be worked on though...then again, each iteration it is getting better and better, and unlike the classical manufacturers they actually are internally changing the design quickly improving their mistakes with each go.

There is also a company that uses Tesla's in their fleet, and it has over 400k miles on it...and in those 400k miles it costs less than a traditional ICE vehicle.

For the topic, 10 Teraflops really doesn't mean much unless the architecture is the same/similar to the one that the PS5 is using. (It can give a very rough gauge, but it doesn't mean it would necessarily perform similar to a console, especially if the instruction sets on it is different...especially since it would be likely more tuned towards neural networks)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

If only they'd focus on the build quality first, repair policy second and and brain dead design choices third

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

So in future simply buying a car you get a top gaming computer included, cool.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

So in future simply buying a car you get a top gaming computer included, cool.

Just wait until you have to replace your car because it wont run the latest game any more.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

13 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I sort of disagree with you, becasue I really do thing minimalist looks great, but god that steering wheel and lack of stalks. I'm really not able to imagine how both of those are good ideas in any sort of scenario

It looks nice until you realize that not having physical knobs for volume, climate control, mirrors and the like is an absolute nightmare. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I'm thinking it's processing power for the display. I've got a model 3 and the touch screen has an atom processor, the self driving computer is separate. I would think they'd keep those two hard partitioned to cut down on any hacks or code defects.

5 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Depends what you consider build quality...given you are talking about a tow, I'm assuming you are talking about the internal mechanics which I don't think break down any more frequently than ICE vehicles  (If you have any article, or statistics that prove me wrong by all means post it).  The final fit and finish does need to be worked on though...then again, each iteration it is getting better and better, and unlike the classical manufacturers they actually are internally changing the design quickly improving their mistakes with each go.

There is also a company that uses Tesla's in their fleet, and it has over 400k miles on it...and in those 400k miles it costs less than a traditional ICE vehicle.

For the topic, 10 Teraflops really doesn't mean much unless the architecture is the same/similar to the one that the PS5 is using. (It can give a very rough gauge, but it doesn't mean it would necessarily perform similar to a console, especially if the instruction sets on it is different...especially since it would be likely more tuned towards neural networks)

Great article related to the tech inside, they gave their entertainment unit a planned 10-12 year life but ended up with a "bad batch" of components that "showed a 30% failure rate during some months".  There's a nod to nvidia in there too. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/tesla-touchscreen-problems-these-model-s-and-x-memory-units-are-under-fire-for-failures/

Not to mention the suspension problems. 

Don't get me wrong though, tesla has the best mass produced Ev out there.  However, unless they pick up the quality, they will soon be surpassed by the bigs.  

Ten years or less from now and I expect to be driving a Ford electric F150. 

I am no expert,but i have quite a lot of knowledge when it come electric cars and the industry as a whole.

One of the reasons you want a powerful computer is it's ability to process data faster,

and Tesla may need it for their data collection,they collect a sizable amount of data,in addition or as part of their excessive logging of everything you do with the car,and everything the car does,location data,telemetry,camera footage in certain situations and more.

All the data is saved locally,so the poor drives they use will wear out and die because of it,like what happened with many unfortunate Teslas.

Those cars could not drive because the computer did not boot,and that's because the eMMC flash module failed.

They also send the data to Tesla on the fly,and collects it every time you go to the dealership.

EDIT:

In addition to all of that there are also all the algorithms that Tesla use.

15 hours ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Apperantly it can play Cyberpunk 2077 and other AAA games like The Witcher 3 and similar.

I am pretty sure he is talking about streaming,like GeForce Now and Stadia.

As long as the car doesn't come with a X86 processor,DX12 capable GPU and Windows 7/10,you won't be able to run any of those games without streaming them.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Tesla cars are cool for first half an hour and then you start to hate interior and functions designed by a moron. And then you just want to buy Hyundai's EV coz they have freaking buttons to control AC and not this touch idiocy...

i think that shit is legit dangerous as the driver has to look to do these small changes that normally you can do without looking after the first week of owning the car

31 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I am no expert,but i have quite a lot of knowledge when it come electric cars and the industry as a whole.

One of the reasons you want a powerful computer is it's ability to process data faster,

and Tesla may need it for their data collection,they collect a sizable amount of data,in addition or as part of their excessive logging of everything you do with the car,and everything the car does,location data,telemetry,camera footage in certain situations and more.

All the data is saved locally,so the poor drives they use will wear out and die because of it,like what happened with many unfortunate Teslas.

Those cars could not drive because the computer did not boot,and that's because the eMMC flash module failed.

They also send the data to Tesla on the fly,and collects it every time you go to the dealership.

EDIT:

In addition to all of that there are also all the algorithms that Tesla use.

I am pretty sure he is talking about streaming,like GeForce Now and Stadia.

As long as the car doesn't come with a X86 processor,DX12 capable GPU and Windows 7/10,you won't be able to run any of those games without streaming them.

from a leak on videocardz.com its actually running a navi 23 gpu in it so he might be right and it could very well run cyberpunk on hardware locally

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

i think that shit is legit dangerous as the driver has to look to do these small changes that normally you can do without looking after the first week of owning the car

from a leak on videocardz.com its actually running a navi 23 gpu in it so he might be right and it could very well run cyberpunk on hardware locally

It still doesn't change what i said,even with a NAVI 23 GPU,it still cannot run these games without a X86 processor and Windows/Wine.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 hour ago, Heliian said:

Great article related to the tech inside, they gave their entertainment unit a planned 10-12 year life but ended up with a "bad batch" of components that "showed a 30% failure rate during some months".  There's a nod to nvidia in there too. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/tesla-touchscreen-problems-these-model-s-and-x-memory-units-are-under-fire-for-failures/

I do concede the eMMC is an issue, but that issue was also fixed in 2018...which conveniently was when they switched away from NVidia (just a guess, but I have a feeling that that played a factor as well).  It's also one component, along with the suspension issue...but again that ended back in 2017.  I could equally point out issues with ICE vehicles, such as the massive airbag recall, or perhaps the Ford ignition switch issues (where Ford knew about an issue that was killing people, but didn't recall).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

A few recalls and such really doesn't mean there is "bad build quality", especially when vehicles are first being designed and mass built.

1 hour ago, Heliian said:

Don't get me wrong though, tesla has the best mass produced Ev out there.  However, unless they pick up the quality, they will soon be surpassed by the bigs.  

Ten years or less from now and I expect to be driving a Ford electric F150. 

Admittedly the Ford Mustang (electric version) actually sounds like it is competing quite well with Tesla, but Tesla still has the technology where it counts (battery and onboard electronics that enables things such as FSD).  Ford isn't making their own batteries, so Tesla will have the advantage their as well (cost / vehicle)

6 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I don't think break down any more frequently than ICE vehicles

According to tesla, minimal wear to the drivetrain after 1,000,000 miles.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/24242/tesla-shows-off-model-3-drive-unit-after-one-million-miles-of-driving

Battery packs lose ~20 miles of range over 275,000 miles or so.

After 420,000 miles, about 20% of the range is depleted.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

pfff all of you guys thinking TFLOPs matter, we all know where true power comes from: RGB. wait for the future with rainbow teslas wizzing about!

PC Specs: Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X570  CPU: Ryzen 5900X  CPU Cooler: NZXT 240 mm Kraken Series AIO     GPU: Asus Strix ROG 1080 TI OC Edition    PSU: Corsair RM850 850W   Storage: 2 X 4TB, 2 X 1TB HDD And 1 X 1tb m.2 samsung 980 pro Case:  NZXT H440 2015 Edition

21 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I do concede the eMMC is an issue, but that issue was also fixed in 2018...

It wasn't fixed,they just use higher capacities,and there is still excessive writing to the drive.

In the end it will fail again,seems like Tesla cares about your data more than the longevity of their cars.

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It wasn't fixed,they just use higher capacities,and there is still excessive writing to the drive.

In the end it will fail again,seems like Tesla cares about your data more than the longevity of their cars.

Tesla still uses eMMC storage in their computer systems? I think thats kind of surprising they don't use UFS storage at minimum, or a M.2 SSD, then again Tesla doesn't seem to concerned about their cars being repairable.

IMO Tesla should be working on build quality first, theres plenty of reports of cars having bumpers fall off, inconsistent paint, leaking windows, and bad fit and finish.

H...how long do you mine on it to break even?

/s of course

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

It looks nice until you realize that not having physical knobs for volume, climate control, mirrors and the like is an absolute nightmare. 

Volume you can indeed adjust with the scroll wheels on the steering.

Climate control is something you would either set in your phone before entering the car (especially in the hot place), or is a one time thing on touchscreen, so not really a big deal

You barely have to ever adjust a mirrors in a modern car, especially when there are custom profiles for each driver. And even if you do, you again adjust it through the scroll wheels through the steering.

These things aren't as big of a deal. Things like access to glovebox, wiper settings, literally all stalk functions are what causes concern for me

9 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Volume you can indeed adjust with the scroll wheels on the steering.

Climate control is something you would either set in your phone before entering the car (especially in the hot place), or is a one time thing on touchscreen, so not really a big deal

You barely have to ever adjust a mirrors in a modern car, especially when there are custom profiles for each driver. And even if you do, you again adjust it through the scroll wheels through the steering.

These things aren't as big of a deal. Things like access to glovebox, wiper settings, literally all stalk functions are what causes concern for me

Those are all compromises that make things annoying for no reason. 

And it's pretty common to adjust climate control while driving. Having to tap through a bunch of garbage on a screen instead of turning a knob is obnoxious. Passengers adjusting the radio is also pretty common... Again super annoying to explain and have them lean into the middle of the cabin for 2 minutes while you guide them through the process of messing with music.

There's a point where minimalism crosses over into inconvenience. Replacing literally every physical button in a car with one screen is absolutely that line.

What happens when you're on a trip and your display dies? Is that a legitimate reason to lose access to the most basic functions in a car?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

28 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Those are all compromises that make things annoying for no reason. 

And it's pretty common to adjust climate control while driving. Having to tap through a bunch of garbage on a screen instead of turning a knob is obnoxious. Passengers adjusting the radio is also pretty common... Again super annoying to explain and have them lean into the middle of the cabin for 2 minutes while you guide them through the process of messing with music.

There's a point where minimalism crosses over into inconvenience. Replacing literally every physical button in a car with one screen is absolutely that line.

What happens when you're on a trip and your display dies? Is that a legitimate reason to lose access to the most basic functions in a car?

I agree that Tesla's "minimalist" design choices have definitely crossed a line for safety. Even if I am not 100% a fan of the aesthetic, there is nothing wrong with that design style if it is done safely, as long as basic car functions are kept easy to use (i.e. wipers, headlights, blinkers, etc.). I am not a huge fan of speedometer and other gauge info only being on the center screen and forgoing a gauge cluster. The least they could have done was use a HUD to supplement it.

I do not know how much of these design choices were simply Tesla going overboard with minimalist and futuristic goals, or overly aggressive cost cutting (at the end of the day they save money by not adding a digital gauge cluster or HUD), but it's clearly too much whatever the reasoning is. 

Also, in all fairness, Tesla is not the only car company to have begun over-using tech and seemingly regressing and making basic functions more complicated. I would even venture to say they weren't the first (although they do seem to be leading the trend these days). But many luxury car companies seem to be burying basic functions in terribly designed infotainment UI's that many people get distracted with while driving. At least Tesla can say their infotainment is pretty much the best in the industry. 

6 hours ago, Derkoli said:

According to tesla, minimal wear to the drivetrain after 1,000,000 miles.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/24242/tesla-shows-off-model-3-drive-unit-after-one-million-miles-of-driving

Battery packs lose ~20 miles of range over 275,000 miles or so.

After 420,000 miles, about 20% of the range is depleted.

They don't mention things like how Teslas ate their own tires. But not because of all the torque, it was because alignment was all screwed up and it ate tires on the inside part. Makes you wonder what all else will fail in such stupid way that you never see on established car brands...

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

Well time will tell in terms of how long the current MCU's last...from what I read, it is 32GB (and potentially better quality chips that withstand more write cycles).  As a note as well, the old MCU's also got in trouble in that their logging and firmware put the capacity to near 100% usage (after updates)...so with 32GB, there might be a lot more room to do wear leveling (so the cars may last a lot longer...especially given the more recent updates are doing less logging from what I understand).

Not trying to say that Tesla doesn't have QC issues, but I think the bigger thing is in the finish of the vehicle (which it seems like they are working on with each iteration). Many other car companies have similar issues, and again even Ford knew about an issue and didn't fix it (Tesla isn't the only company guilty of issues).

What I do like about Tesla is that they at least appear to be innovating, and pushing the boundaries of what is possible (I do agree with the others, that I would like to see some of the tactile buttons remain...it seems like they are getting rid of drive and reverse and will be using context sensitive situations to do it...although have override buttons near the center console).

46 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

huge fan of speedometer and other gauge info only being on the center screen

I agree, that is annoying.  I think the Yaris had the same thing once upon a time (center gauges)...so annoying