How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

Dad bought me a macbook pro, I spilled soup over it, he bought me a new, better one. Sold it for a 1000 euros after 1.5years, it was christmas so i got money from my family as a christmas present. 

Well it started at 2700$, then I added 2 monitors for about 1000$ then I added a few SSDs for about 300$ then I bought a 2nd 680 at 420$ then I replaced my RAM for 200$ upgraded to a 290x for 600$ and a Soundcard for 200$ and liquidcooling for about 1000$ including all the blocks / changes and the likes sooo I've spent about 6200$ on what's sitting next to me including all the stuff now sitting next to it and not inside of it or in my linux box and so on and so forth...

Where I got the money, well I have an automated transfer of some of my money / month to a 2nd acc that I usually empty around Xmas for PC parts ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Dad bought me a macbook pro, I spilled soup over it, he bought me a new, better one. Sold it for a 1000 euros after 1.5years, it was christmas so i got money from my family as a christmas present. 

uhm.. not sure if i deciphered this properly .... so basicly your family just gives you lots of stuff?.

It cost me $1951
Used some of my payout each 14 days to buy part after part

I am sitting here reading this and I really and saying how the fuck did I get the like $2500 in less then 2 years and I am only 14. I mow lawns, shovel driveways, and have a "real job" that I work when I can. Lucky ass bitches here get money from their parents.....

i5-3570k l ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA1155 I G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 I Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5' 7200RPM I Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB I Cooler Master Storm Enforcer I SeaSonic 620W I Windows 7

Dealing dru-err I mean mowing lawns :D

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Mine was a split Christmas present. I paid $150 of it, mom+dad payed the other $300

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I saved for 2 and a half years, and none of those original parts are even in my pc now  <_<

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Saving Birthday cash for a long time and then working a job over the summer.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I earned my first computer roughly 10 years ago by helping out at a local computer repair and retailer, somehow these guys are still around. It leaves me baffled. They know nothing about computers, so little that a 11-12 year old me were of help to them—Obviously they couldn't pay me in money, so I was given a refurbished Dell tower as compensation. 

Any subsequent builds, well, they were built with money I worked hard for. It gets a lot easier to earn money for hardware as you grow older though, once you're through a decent college education in an attractive field, people will line up to give you work (granted you've made your presence clear from an earlier point in time, and you've made sure you're the best at what you do (which isn't hard if you dedicate your life to it)). You'll just have to go with the highest bidder and you're set for life – Well, that's until you decide it's time to do something more worthwhile, like trying to change the world or something.

Cheers,

Linus

I picked up trash along the state highways where I live for a month. Wasnt the most pleasant work but it certainly allowed me to build my PC.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

Have to take care of 5 cats and 2 dogs (until recently when we had to put one down  :( ) and everything else my moms needs me to do around the house gets me about $50 a month. I also took care of my aunt after knee surgery and that landed me about $100. Various other things and I saved up about $550 from like July till now and I am getting my stuff for Xmas

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I have a good paying job, so I just used a paycheck and got the parts. All together it came out to around $1500. It's a bit more since I bought new parts and replaced them. 

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

A combination of doing odd jobs for people both computer and non-computer related and my retail job that I worked last holiday season. The job got me my 7950, 8350, and 1440p monitor. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I worked mowing lawns since I was 12, worked in a warehouse at 15, and collected Christmas and birthday money for years. I built my pc in 2012, so I was 16 then. It came out to around $1500 if I remember right. Of course now iv'e replaced the gpu, twice now, the psu, and the case. Other than that it's been running great.

Just built a second one for "free" because of mining profits.

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

Worked all summer and spent all the money on repairing my car and the rest on a computer, it totaled about 1100 or so if i remember right

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

Saving Christmas + Birthday money over 2 years.

Also, sold Xbox :P

Edited by evilHamsterzZz

ZEUS is wholly mine. My mom paid for it, for the most part. Silly me, when I was 11 I thought my little Northwood was a quad-core. Now I know a lot better. But I only paid $30 for a BRAND FREAKING NEW processor. So still not a bad deal. The motherboard was about $40, almost new, and the video card was about $15, almost new. Already had the hard drives and a couple other things.

All in all, I've spent a total of $350-450 on ZEUS. And it's served my very well. That's why I'm planning on having my mom buy more parts for it for me on Christmas.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Internships

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Just working.

Upgraded parts over the years, almost in impulse buying fashion, though.

About $4000 over two years

BRAIN: intel i5 4670k @ 4.0 ghz stock voltage. GPU: ZOTAC GTX 770*2, both @ 1300mhz core 7900mhz memory. 
CASE: custom painted Fractal Design R4.        SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 pro.    STORAGE: 2TB WD NAS.                 MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE z87x-ud3h
PSU: Corsair 760.    LIGHTS: NZXT hue.          FANS: 4 NZXT rifle bearing.          RAM: 2*4GB patriot black mamba.    CPU COOLER: Noctua NH C12P with NZXT 140mm fan.