China Pressures ASUS to remove ROG and Hololive Collab Broadcast

Rerona
Message added by LogicalDrm,

Please note that our rules do not permit any discussion about politics. Lets keep this purely about tech company's and their policies. Any politics means insta-lock.

8 hours ago, Haaselh0ff said:

In regards to the Muse Dash OBVIOUS REVIEW BOMBING, doesn't steam have a system against this shit for a reason? So assholes cant just do this to any game they dont like?

Steam does have a system yeah, it even marks them on a graph you can expand to see even without Augmented Steam, and the review bombs are covered under it.

Though to explain what caused the review bombing, Muse Dash gave explicit permission to Hololive to stream and advertise the game regularly since it came out. 

But then retroactively repealed that permission after Coco committed the crime of reading Taiwan on a list of YouTube analytics so.

Gura even streamed the game a few days before that happened even.

So all the archives of Muse Dash across the various members had to be taken down.

The review bombing happened because the people who bought it because of Hololive really didn't like that. 

But if we really wanna talk about Chinese related review bombing you should look at Monster Hunter World's reviews, which were also marked by steam so they should be easy to find.  

I don't think I can link to any directly without getting purged for politics, but there's uh, certainly a lot of reviews making fun of somebody who couldn't breath because of a knee thanks to the bad Monster Hunter movie making a really dumb joke about Chinese knees.

Anyway, I think the biggest issue here is how the Chinese branch of Asus is directly interfering with the JP branch and how the HQ in Taiwan seems to have been either unaware, complacent, or generally unable to do anything about this.

The CN branch is going really far with it, there was even a PR person going as far to say they'd rush the JP office with a knife if the collaboration goes through anyway. 

Though just as a note, the content of the post they made is really spectacular too, with insulting Hololive and it's members down to insults like "lul ur moms ded" to paraphrase it lightly.

The Virtual Youtubers reddit thread is probably the most up to date place currently to read/discuss it now if you want to go into more detail really, since the official Hololive one is locked.

unknown.png?width=284&height=384

apparently the chinese asus media manager lost his job at least. also allegedly he threatened to rush the collab room with a knife if it isnt cancelled

also other people have mentioned its more a loss for asus than the vtubers since they were advertising asus products and not really the other way around

tldr; the chinese branch of asus went rogue and threatened the japanese branch of asus and caused this disruption

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

apparently the chinese asus media manager lost his job at least. also allegedly he threatened to rush the collab room with a knife if it isnt cancelled

also other people have mentioned its more a loss for asus than the vtubers since they were advertising asus products and not really the other way around

tldr; the chinese branch of asus went rogue and threatened the japanese branch of asus and caused this disruption

Well its a good thing that person got fired. I wouldn't want someone threatening to stab people at my company either. Can't really blame Asus for canceling this one if that is really the case. 

I was pretty sure the collab was already canceled by the time the stabbing threats came through, since the stabbing threat was said he'd do it if the collab happens anyway.

My concern is about Asus's management

Apparently, ROG China forced ROG Japan to cancel this stream

How does that allowed?

It didn't make any sense and Taiwan HQ haven't responded to this event

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Holy crap that's some serious threat

14 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Would it expose my age if I admitted that this is literally the first time I've ever heard the word Hololive? Even know I have absolutely no idea who or what "they" are.

in a nutshell 

what's weird is it started really good with "virtual vtuber Kizuna AI" who was funny, entertaining and had some interesting content *and* was actually good at playing video games... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Are you sure? Going back through conversations the "community manager" has gone through replacements even before this happened. A source to that picture would be nice.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Can I just state that it is an almost unreal feeling to see news regarding Hololive in the LTT forum, much less said news involving a well known PC manufacturer like ASUS acting in such a manner (especially after what Nvidia just tried to pull).

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

as a taiwanese and hololive fans I cant tell u how disappointed I'm ,  If u able to read chinese , the comment below ROG CN post got like 58 pages of hate toward to taiwanese and Hololive , they all support on everything ROG CN'editor said :  NMSL (your mom dead) , and threaten their management or so call boss to stop Asus JP collab with hololive , all these agreesive comment came from OFFICIAL ROG,  can u imagine that ? 
but for us taiwanese this is very common , We knew what these “chinse ” are like  ,but srly a taiwan brand is now belong to CCP ....
also GoG took down taiwan indie game because CCP and their supporter so called "gamer" don't like it . 

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

10 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Needless to say, if we need to clean this again, we lock it straight up. This is same as with Adobe and Blizzard discussions year ago. Politics is under forum-wide ban.

Deleting comments comments based on perceived political nature sounds very.. political

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

Deleting comments comments based on perceived political nature sounds very.. political

Technically this whole thread would be purged.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

20 minutes ago, heng91 said:

Snippy snip snip

Unfortunately, because the Chinese market is as big as it is, many companies don't feel like it's worth potentially alienating a huge regional market segment. 

This is unless you're like Hololive and your other market segments are able to more than compensate if you don't manage to snag the CN market. The huge popularity of not just Akai Haato but notably Coco not just by its core Japanese audience but also its gigantic global one (evident by how quickly Gawr Gura shot up in popularity) likely led Cover (Hololive's parent company) to retain Coco and Haato and choosing to retire its CN branch. 

ASUS is in a hugely different position as they have a very significant presence in the Chinese market. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

in a nutshell 

what's weird is it started really good with "virtual vtuber Kizuna AI" who was funny, entertaining and had some interesting content *and* was actually good at playing video games... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My ears are bleeding

And I've gone blind

Need to find comfort

Gos bless you Freddy

My only regret is not being born in the 70s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Unfortunately, because the Chinese market is as big as it is, many companies don't feel like it's worth potentially alienating a huge regional market segment. 

This is unless you're like Hololive and your other market segments are able to more than compensate if you don't manage to snag the CN market. The huge popularity of not just Akai Haato but notably Coco not just by its core Japanese audience but also its gigantic global one (evident by how quickly Gawr Gura shot up in popularity) likely led Cover (Hololive's parent company) to retain Coco and Haato and choosing to retire its CN branch. 

ASUS is in a hugely different position as they have a very significant presence in the Chinese market. 

kneel before the chinese RMB , I get it 
I just have a feeling that when all tech and game company are bought by china , what is going to be left for people like me ?
trash free to play , propaganda shitty game . must be wonderful .

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

Are you sure? Going back through conversations the "community manager" has gone through replacements even before this happened. A source to that picture would be nice.

Found it, this website: https://msearch.51job.com/jobs/shanghai-bsq/125282247.html

According to google search engine, this page was last updated 2 days ago, at least a day before the debacle. The manager most likely isn't fired, at least for now.

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

If you have issues with moderation, we can talk in PMs. Our rules on politics come directly from the owner of this forum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

(...)

I was following the nuances of the topic without actually having ever seen/heard Hololive's work...

My god, forget everything I said, just make it illegal in every country! 🤣😂😌😔😥😭

The shitposting reviews must flow.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

On 12/17/2020 at 6:57 AM, Master Disaster said:

Would it expose my age if I admitted that this is literally the first time I've ever heard the word Hololive? Even know I have absolutely no idea who or what "they" are.

ROG China still very much crossed the lines though, saying that to anyone is repugnant.

i havent really followed any big vtubers but from the smaller ones i follow they do it because they are shy and/or dont want to do make up etc everyday. so having a virtual avatar allows them to have a sort of webcam that shows their reactions and they can still have that aspect of communication with their chat. 

like 2 weeks ago i didnt know what vtubers are either but a osu streamer i watch linked to one and i was bored and suddenly i have 3 vtuber friends LUL

13 hours ago, poochyena said:

Err what? The rules are in place for a reason and are applied equally to everyone (including site staff). Do you go to work and accuse your boss of being political when you get a telling off for breaking work rules?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Err what? The rules are in place for a reason and are applied equally to everyone (including site staff). Do you go to work and accuse your boss of being political when you get a telling off for breaking work rules?

well yea, workplace rules are political. If someone were to argue otherwise, that would in of it self prove it true

14 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

My ears are bleeding

And I've gone blind

Need to find comfort

Gos bless you Freddy

My only regret is not being born in the 70s

Don't worry thats just Hachama.
Shes very much an... acquired taste. Specially her cooking *shutters*

The others are... more normal.
I mean about as normal a horny pirate, a shitposting dragon,an adorable dog, a rabbit that laughs in tekken inputs, a duck, a knight who courting an elf, a devil who is actually an angel, a 0 year old princess, an angel with gorilla strength, a yandere necromancer who will make you disappear if you call her fla-

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

HAACHAMA-CHAMA

I don't think opening with an English meme cover by Haachama of all things is a great way to introduce anybody to Hololive.

As you can probably guess from the reactions you've already gotten:

16 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

My ears are bleeding

And I've gone blind

Need to find comfort

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I was following the nuances of the topic without actually having ever seen/heard Hololive's work...

My god, forget everything I said, just make it illegal in every country! 🤣😂😌😔😥😭

Even if you're a massive Haaton and want her to be somebody's first exposure to Hololive, I think a clip compilation of just her even just a clip of her vomiting on stream would be better than that.

Otherwise a general compilation would be much better:

And if you want to go down the music route, I think Towa's covers would be a much better place to start.

Or if you want original songs, I just made a playlist of better picks for this:

And there's also Mori Calliope's rap stuff if you wanna show people English speaking Hololive through music: