How to deal with being doxxed?

spartaman64
Message added by WkdPaul,

The Community Standards is always applicable.

Mind what you post and keep what you say civil, constructive and mature. Further issues may come with warnings.

My friend is being doxxed and the person spammed her address in her twitch stream. They already reported it to twitch and the police but the police said they won't do anything until they show up. This obviously isn't ideal so is there anything more that can be done?

edit: good news they apparently have a lead on the person's address so they might be able to do something legally or have the police send them a warning

Unless she can move house quickly, not much. CCTV maybe? Staying at a friend or relative's house for a bit.

I would have thought it unlikely that anyone would show up at her house. You'd have to properly unhinged to do that, as well as living somewhat nearby, what are the odds?

Unless the stream had a ton of people watching it, there's a pretty low chance that one of them has malicious intent and also lives close to your friend; if she's really worried then home security or staying at a freind's house (like mentioned above) would be an idea

Most 'doxxings' are the result of the 'victim' putting out to much public information about themselves online.

its a harsh lesson, and one that can never be entirely undone, but thats the price one pays for being naive enough to think they can post so much info about themselves online and remain partly anonymous.

Whats done is done, put more security in place, they should have a standard amount already tbh, and if things escalate then a move is in order.

After which make damn sure your friend doesnt post, stream, or otherwise disclose, any information that can be used in such a way again.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Most 'doxxings' are the result of the 'victim' putting out to much public information about themselves online.

its a harsh lesson, and one that can never be entirely undone, but thats the price one pays for being naive enough to think they can post so much info about themselves online and remain partly anonymous.

Whats done is done, put more security in place, they should have a standard amount already tbh, and if things escalate then a move is in order.

After which make damn sure your friend doesnt post, stream, or otherwise disclose, any information that can be used in such a way again.

apparently they got it from her voting info

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Eh, doxxing is as described above - super easy.  Ive never even looked at or looked for someones voter information.  I wouldnt even know how to get it.  Most people get addresses from casenet (and similar government sites) once a name is known.  

In fact I just tried to doxx myself using my first and last name with the intent to discover voter information.  I couldnt find any on myself.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

24 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

If one is going into the public spotlight,, be it streaming or otherwise, u need ot decide on whether ur going to use ur real name, if u do .. expect people to know, or at the very least be able to find out, where you live.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

If one is going into the public spotlight,, be it streaming or otherwise, u need ot decide on whether ur going to use ur real name, if u do .. expect people to know, or at the very least be able to find out, where you live.

they never put their real name or address anywhere. in fact the name that the person got is her old legal name

That sucks, but then on the other hand, would anyone watching that stream actually show up at the house?

Contact police and all local delivery places to say "I was doxed. I'm not ordering for to this address unless it's paid in full beforehand."

Aside from that... Enjoy the mail. 

9 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Get a gun -legally-

And an ass eating Rottweiler...

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

On 12/3/2020 at 6:27 AM, spartaman64 said:

edit: good news they apparently have a lead on the person's address so they might be able to do something legally or have the police send them a warning

there's nothing illegal with a doxx, it's all publicly available information.

they're not likely to do anything, I would tighten up online privacy, ie, deleting accounts, changing online identity etc.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 12/3/2020 at 4:31 PM, Tristerin said:

Eh, doxxing is as described above - super easy.  Ive never even looked at or looked for someones voter information.  I wouldnt even know how to get it.  Most people get addresses from casenet (and similar government sites) once a name is known.  

In fact I just tried to doxx myself using my first and last name with the intent to discover voter information.  I couldnt find any on myself.

In Georgia, you can find out anyone's voter information, including home address, with four very public pieces of information that are very easy to get.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

19 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

there's nothing illegal with a doxx, it's all publicly available information.

they're not likely to do anything, I would tighten up online privacy, ie, deleting accounts, changing online identity etc.

yeah but harassment etc can be illegal and they can just get a restraining order. he also called her the n word so i wonder if that can constitute a threat in civil court

18 hours ago, aisle9 said:

In Georgia, you can find out anyone's voter information, including home address, with four very public pieces of information that are very easy to get.

Jeez... The US sure has a lot of security issues when it comes to personal info...

That kind of info in Canada would mostly only be available if you're in the yellow pages or something, AFAIK, which is obtained from public phone records. Still requires a name or phone number to even be able to look up. And can be removed easily.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Jeez... The US sure has a lot of security issues when it comes to personal info...

That kind of info in Canada would mostly only be available if you're in the yellow pages or something, AFAIK.

https://www.adn.com/politics/2020/12/03/elections-data-exposure-affected-113000-alaskans-but-had-no-impact-on-november-results-state-officials-say/

You'd be surprised. That's roughly 1/3 of voters up here. I have a separate mailing and physical address. Both are listed on the state website. The date the state sent my ballet, what address they sent it to and what day they got it back.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

yeah but harassment etc can be illegal and they can just get a restraining order. he also called her the n word so i wonder if that can constitute a threat in civil court

Fortunately, having ones feeling hurt from 'name calling' isnt something any reasonable society deems suitable for legal action.

Threats of physical violence, including life threats, thats another story.

8 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Fortunately, having ones feeling hurt from 'name calling' isnt something any reasonable society deems suitable for legal action.

Threats of physical violence, including life threats, thats another story.

thats why i said it might constitute a threat in the context of doxxing 

52 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

thats why i said it might constitute a threat in the context of doxxing 

The point ,more specifically, was that calling someone "the n word" isnt considered a 'threat' by any reasonable person or society, its an 'insult'. Big difference.

31 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

The point ,more specifically, was that calling someone "the n word" isnt considered a 'threat' by any reasonable person or society, its an 'insult'. Big difference.

again aggressive language combined with posting their address can be a threat. hes also been asking for money which is blackmail and also adds on to the threat case and im talking in a civil court context not criminal

26 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Context. "aisle9's a (bleep)," would be a statement. A very confusing one, at that. Now, let's assume that same person had a history of saying that we should kill (bleep)s or hang (bleep)s or whatever, then that person calls you a (bleep).

Suddenly we're really straddling a line here, aren't we?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

you can't get a restraining order because you got doxxed and called the n word, even though that is fucked up (at least in the US). The best bet is just to change your online identity, I'm sure the dudes just internet trolling and is unlikely to actually show up at her house. best to just get a clean slate with a new online identity.

AMD blackout rig

3 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

you can't get a restraining order because you got doxxed and called the n word, even though that is fucked up (at least in the US). The best bet is just to change your online identity, I'm sure the dudes just internet trolling and is unlikely to actually show up at her house. best to just get a clean slate with a new online identity.

and they are demanding payment and they make new accounts to try to post her address when she bans the old ones. at the least its harassment and extortion but might as well try other things also. and again im talking about a civil court context not criminal court.

On 12/3/2020 at 9:27 AM, spartaman64 said:

My friend is being doxxed and the person spammed her address in her twitch stream. They already reported it to twitch and the police but the police said they won't do anything until they show up. This obviously isn't ideal so is there anything more that can be done?

One thing you can do is find out how the person got that information. Generally, searching "[friend's name] [city which friend lives in]" will do. On these websites (whitepages, clustrmaps, general info finding sites) there is always an information takedown form. You can manually ask for your friend's info to be removed to help prevent them getting doxxed in the future. 

i like trains 🙂

15 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

and they are demanding payment and they make new accounts to try to post her address when she bans the old ones. at the least its harassment and extortion but might as well try other things also. and again im talking about a civil court context not criminal court.

the easiest way out of this is just to change your online identity, there's very little chance of you actually getting a court case out of this, as there is nothing technically illegal, until there is threat of physical harm. also as said above, clean up what info there is about you on the internet, until that person makes a physical threat, nothing illegal is really going on.

even online threats are still taken as a joke, there's almost 0 way to go about getting this person in trouble.

AMD blackout rig