It's like going back to the terminal days - Windows 10 Cloud PC in possible development

williamcll

Windows Azure has been offering remote Windows instances or remote desktop for awhile, but those are mainland for enterprise/business use. It was also said that Windows 10X would also be using cloud processing to run Win32 programs. 

Cloud PC is a service that is built on top of Windows Virtual Desktop to deliver ‘Windows as a Service’. Cloud PC is essentially aimed at businesses and Microsoft says it will manage the service for the companies so that they don’t have to look after the Windows Updates and apps. As the name suggests, Cloud PC brings your personal desktop to Microsoft Azure Cloud Service and allows you to remotely access the service from anywhere using any device, including your Android or iPhone. In a new support document, Microsoft has accidentally confirmed that it’s working on “Cloud PC”.

The is the first time we’ve seen Microsoft refer to the ‘Cloud PC’ publicly on its own platform and it simply states “Cloud PC security baseline template”. The document has been online since last week, and Microsoft references to this mysterious software have gone unnoticed until now.

Cloud PC

We have been hearing about Microsoft Cloud PC service for quite a few months and it’s due to drop sometime in early 2021. Windows 10X, the modular operating system, is also expected to drop sometime in early 2021.

Source: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/11/25/microsoft-leaks-windows-10s-new-mysterious-cloud-pc-service/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/resources/intune-deviceintent-devicemanagementtemplatetype?view=graph-rest-beta

Thoughts: Honestly this sounds like a horrible idea considering how poor cloud gaming the past year has been. Adding the fact that a lot of people to this day still run unlicensed copies of Windows I doubt this CloudPC service will catch on. Better for windows to figure out how to optimize windows 10 ARM emulation instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

microsoft once again focussing on things nobody wants instead of fixing the horrible broken mess that is Windows 10's UI. 

Yep, because the people working over in the Azure department are the same people that work in the art/UI department. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

instead of fixing the horrible broken mess that is Windows 10's

Never been a fan of the stupid tiles which have been on windows 8 up

9 hours ago, williamcll said:

Cloud PC brings your personal desktop to Microsoft Azure Cloud Service and allows you to remotely access the service from anywhere using any device, including your Android or iPhone

Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

Yep, because the people working over in the Azure department are the same people that work in the art/UI department. 

Pretty much. The UI is based on the lowest common denominator that can also be replicated in a web browser. And that is HTML5. So the bare metal OS gets gimped. That's why the look and feel is so flat.

Because of the world situation being what it is I’ve been working from home a lot since April. During this autum an close by infrastructure project has dug off the fiber for my area 4 times. To me it’s obvious why this and all ”in the cloud”, along with on demand streaming services are a bad thing.

16 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

microsoft once again focussing on things nobody wants instead of fixing the horrible broken mess that is Windows 10's UI. 

What do you mean by this? I actually think Windows 10 is the best looking OS I have ever used. I don't like the tiles so I just get rid of all of them and just have a normal scrolling list of apps...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

35 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

What do you mean by this? I actually think Windows 10 is the best looking OS I have ever used. I don't like the tiles so I just get rid of all of them and just have a normal scrolling list of apps...

If we mainly go by how the UI looks it is wildly inconsistent.

I would understand if this was manly centered around 3rd party applications looking different, but just browsing through Windows 10s own preferences is an insane inconsistency. 

13 hours ago, Arika S said:

my point was that maybe Microsoft should put more resources into fixing Windows 10. 

12 hours ago, j.son19 said:

Never been a fan of the stupid tiles which have been on windows 8 up

i'm mainly referring to having 2 half broken control panels and a complete mix of UI styles. in Windows 8 you could basically ignore the modern UI. in Windows 10 you can't. 

4 hours ago, Orangeator said:

you sitll have to use the settings app. and search. and the "action center". also there are 3 ui's in Windows 10. you have Windows 95 style, aka the old control panels like Mouse. you have the windows 7 era UI, aka the old control panel itself and a bunch of the dated built in programs, and you have the Metro UI. 

it's been 5 years since Windows 10 was launched, they should have fixed this by now. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

my point was that maybe Microsoft should put more resources into fixing Windows 10. 

Who's to say they're not?

they have over 150,000 employees and a LOT of money to go around.

in fact, they have already announced they are working on a major UI update

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-sun-valley-ui-october-2021-update

Just because they made an announcement about them doing stuff with Azure, doesn't mean everything else has all funding and employees removed off it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Ah yes, desktop as service. Must be great when you wake up one morning to see the service terminated and your entire PC gone.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Not too surprised, I guess they see category of users for it. Though cloud and PC don't really go together in that sense. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 11/26/2020 at 2:41 PM, Ashley xD said:

it has cloud in the name it must be good

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

you sitll have to use the settings app. and search. and the "action center". also there are 3 ui's in Windows 10. you have Windows 95 style, aka the old control panels like Mouse. you have the windows 7 era UI, aka the old control panel itself and a bunch of the dated built in programs, and you have the Metro UI. 

it's been 5 years since Windows 10 was launched, they should have fixed this by now. 

yea it's a mess

You have still Internet Explorer then you have Microsoft Edge and the new Edge Chromium browser.

when I'm using my Lenovo pen the cursor symbol that indicates that something is loading ( the little spinning symbol ) is in Win7 style, when using a mouse the normal Win10

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Who's to say they're not?

they have over 150,000 employees and a LOT of money to go around.

in fact, they have already announced they are working on a major UI update

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-sun-valley-ui-october-2021-update

Just because they made an announcement about them doing stuff with Azure, doesn't mean everything else has all funding and employees removed off it

That's a rather naïve take when it comes to MS. They've had plenty of time to sort of the problems of Windows 10 that still persists today in terms of performance and of course the Settings app which I and a lot of others complain about (and ofc the Store which is a huge mess as well). Just because a company has the money for it, doesn't mean they'll spend it on that which is very unfortunate, because they should. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

I've been expecting this sort of thing for years, though I thought Apple would do it first. In the future I predict that the OS is stored on "The cloud" and your average PC will be a thin client that simply accesses it on a subscription basis. The marketing pitch to the average person is that they don't have to worry about updates, security, maintenance, etc.

The benefit for the PC hardware vendor is that they can cheapen the product  considerably because it does not have to do as much. The benefit for the OS vendor is that they have iron grip control over the user and their data. They can push ads at will, mine or sell user data at will, charge more for subscriptions with each release, etc. The user literally will belong to them. 

Of course, this would be a horrific dystopia as far as I'm concerned, and I'll continue running my OS on bare metal in my possession, even if I'm the only one in the world doing it. 

On 11/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, Ashley xD said:

2 different teams and Microsoft is a MASSIVE company. For business who are trying to move away from expensive hardware, it could be a great way to cut costs. Plus, if things are in the cloud, it allows for more control, expandability and flexibility. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

19 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

You have still Internet Explorer

I thought that is not there if you update to the latest version of windows 10 ?

On 11/28/2020 at 11:48 AM, AndreiArgeanu said:

What tiles lmao

Untitled.png.61bf8faee8790a3168789c9767b90cf6.png

that is still a horrible way to go through apps and settings.... also this conveniently stopped working on my laptop recently, without me doing anything - I think you can't even reset "settings" to default, only your whole "pc" which likely would break things even further. 

sorting and finding things on a windows pc is one of the worst experiences I ever had, it's the opposite of what I want, simplicity. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

We need a poll.

1) Those who complain about windows 10

2) Those who still use windows 10

Either way, I can see this being largely beneficial to those who don't really need much out of a pc besides browsing facebook or writing down a recipe in wordpad.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:39 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ah yes, desktop as service. Must be great when you wake up one morning to see the service terminated and your entire PC gone.

On-boarding, off-boarding is part of the overall security calculus with regards to data retention and exfiltration woes. I'm sure it will tie into MS Workplace Analytics too at some point.