What do you guys consider unplayable fps and ping

Ankh Tech

The games I play are down to 20FPS and Ping isn’t much of an issue, as long as everyone is connected ok

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

17 hours ago, Ankh tech tips said:

don't judge, nothing else to play, this is chrome os

have you tried something like crouton/croutini? It allows you to run linux applications on chromebooks.

it depends on the game for fpw. some, 30 is fine. some below 60 is terrible.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

For FPS I think it's mostly habit. I thought 60fps was smooth until I started playing 144fps. Most games have a default 60FPS cap and I don't need the option menu to notice it, I launch it and think "what? this isn't smooth... option menu and -> ohhhh, 60FPS cap. Unlock. 140fps, Better!"

24fps is about the limit for smooth motion. "cinematic" 30fps is the bare minimum. The games feel better and better the faster it goes. I wonder if I could notice a difference above 120fps, probably not.

For ping it depends on the pace of the action. On fast paced MOBA above 100ms my character feels as trying to turn a battleship around, but is definitely playable until 250ms. Above 300ms I start consciously trying to compensate for the delay. Inconsistent Ping is much worse than bad but consistent. With consistent I can get used to it, with spikes I have to look constantly to the ping number and it's horrible.

17 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think it depends on the game

It always depends on the game but no one ever specifies which game they are playing and they never specify what settings they play at. There is such a wide variety of games out there with even wider graphic settings.

For me there's a big gap between playable and noticeable. I can tell right away if I'm not maintaining 60fps or I'm over like 100-150 ping in faster-paced games, but I'll play that way if I have to. The only time I can't play anymore is if either FPS gets so low I'm unable to maintain my orientation (probably around 10-20fps) or ping gets so bad I get doubling actions or temporary kicks from the server.

Anything under 80 FPS becomes very noticeable, however i prefer a stable and solid framerate at 30FPS over a stuttering mess well above that.

I game at 144hz.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Well most of the games I play are offline, so I don't have to worry about ping. As far as fps goes, I usually prefer at least 60fps (my monitor only goes up to 75). However, I play plenty of games that can only go up to 30 fps simply because they are too old to go higher, and it doesn't bother me at all. As long as the framerate is consistent, and doesn't have random lag spikes, I can work with it. For example, I'd much rather play at 30fps than play at 60fps and have random spikes down to 10 fps.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

much rather play at 30fps than play at 60fps and have random spikes down to 10 fps.

Well yes sure, but a 60fps game shouldn't really go down to 10 (or anything like that for the matter) 

If this happens it's usually hardware / settings issues or indeed the especially beloved "bottleneck" ie Either gpu or cpu maxing out, which easily results in exactly that, system has no more resources and well, whatever is displayed at that point will just stop / freeze

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

When I played competitive games, above 70 ms was truly unacceptable, no kidding, 60htz want the problem thou. More I consider high fps a standard especially for shooting

On 11/5/2020 at 5:48 AM, ragnarok0273 said:

The only game I play where FPS matter is Minecraft.

I get 60 FPS minimum without a lot of entities.

Once there are lots of entities, my 650 Ti Boost begins to struggle and it slows down to ~10.

/kill @a fixes that though.

Ping?

For Among Us, any ping below 150 ms is fine.

Above, and I get kicked. 

all pc's slow down with so much entities. normal 1500 is at 1 fps and you can probably do around 500 or so be for you drop below 60.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

for me also long as it dose not lag then idk what the fps is.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

It started lagging once I had about 500 or so mooshrooms, cows, and arrows.

500 each.

I was creating a mooshroom/cow cannon with command blocks and magic (they would just periodically fly out and go like 100 blocks) but I had cow buildup so I added an arrow summoner to kill the excess.

elephants

Contextually depends, honestly. I cannot fucking stand to play Team Fortress 2 at 45fps or lower, for example, but that frame rate territory is perfectly acceptable for me in driving games, a la BeamNG. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

fps under 60 and ping over 100 ms

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

On 11/5/2020 at 7:08 PM, Ankh tech tips said:

300 ping

Around 250 ms is when packet loss may start happening in pvp. BTW where the heck do you find servers that allow you to play with 300ms ? I have tried playing on Texan servers (no offense, it is due to my location) I get like 275-280 ms ping, that is like playable and when it hits 300ms when the server is full, then weird things start happening *Stranger things background music starts playing*

Edited by Justaphysicsnerd

1 hour ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Around 250 ms is when packet loss may start happening in pvp. BTW where the heck do you find servers that allow you to play with 300ms ? I have tried playing on Texan servers (no offense, it is due to my location) I get like 275-280 ms ping, that is like playable and when it hits 300ms when the server is full, then weird things start happening *Stranger things background music starts playing*

No, I am in the middle east so If I pick something like US West servers, I get 300-500 ms ping which is playable honestly, sometime it spikes to 800 for a second, but that doesn't really affect it, since it is really short

3 hours ago, Ankh tech tips said:

No, I am in the middle east so If I pick something like US West servers, I get 300-500 ms ping which is playable honestly, sometime it spikes to 800 for a second, but that doesn't really affect it, since it is really short

I am assuming that you aren't talking about FPS games or Competitive ones.

Honestly any FPS below 30 and I start getting frustrated 

also ping over 150 makes me want to cry 🤪

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM750x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red | Ducky Mecha Mini | Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

17 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

I am assuming that you aren't talking about FPS games or Competitive ones.

No, online fps shooters like shellshock, and I still am able to reach 10 killstreak, I think I'm used to high ping, cause I never got lower than 100ms, it even saved my life sometimes, since I'm laggier than them so I'm all over the place, so I can shoot them easily

40> fps and less than 80

I'm spoiled with my fiber giving me sub 10ms to west coast and sub 80 to east coast

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv