Your worst onosecond.

pythonmegapixel

The "onosecond" is the moment after you realise you've made a mistake which is either really stupid or has disatrous consequences. But it also counts if you think you've made such a mistake. So what this thread is actually asking is, "What is the worst mistake you've ever made, or thought you'd made?"

As always, don't use this thread for anything political, offensive, or otherwise liable to get the thread locked and ruin the fun for everyone else. Other internet common-sense applies - don't post anything that might later come back to bite you or that you may later regret.

Example: A few years ago I accidentally pulled my memory stick out of a friend's computer at an angle and got part of the USB port stuck in the connector on the memory stick, wrecking the port and the memory stick, and losing all the data on it... still some work on there that I'll probably never see again :(

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

smartly using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold a breadboard jumper while I tried shorting a 12V SLA battery (out of curiosity), tho it's a dumb idea to begin with

it was less than a 1 second short, but the wire glowed so bright (melted the insulation) and i got flash-banged to high heaven and felt the heat on my face.

10/10 would try again

dangerous? only if you have flammable item nearby, and dont stare directly at it

startled? definitely didnt expect a flash-bang

fun? heck yea

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

trying to make iron oxide at home the worst way 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Replacing the Clamshell display of a Macbook pro and installing the airport wireless card backwards... RIP motherboard. And I was the certified Apple Repair tech. Took 3 motherboards later and some help from the folks at the GSX to figure out what I did wrong. Oh Apple, why you do things the way you do I'll never understand. They ship the clamshell display fully assembled but without the airport card in this particular model and they expect you to crack open the old clamshell to remove the card and install it in the new one. For the price that one of those clamshells (and motherboards) cost, why not just add the bloody airport card in the new system.

I'm going to make the first reply that hasn't got to do with computers.

Uhh... the most interesting ones would probably have to do with girls. That's all I'm gonna say. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

A few weeks ago, I drove through a flooded road that lifted my bumper from where it's actually supposed to be. 

Needless to say, shoving my front bumper back onto my Saturn while it was raining was not something I wanted to do.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Fighting Four Kings in Dark Souls while Barbie Girl by Aqua played in the background. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I think this has happened to everyone on this forum at some point:

>Clean PC

>Put PC back together

>PC doesnt turn on

>Oh sht

>Start panicking

>Turns out psu switch was off

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

13 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The "onosecond" is the moment after you realise you've made a mistake which is either really stupid or has disatrous consequences. But it also counts if you think you've made such a mistake. So what this thread is actually asking is, "What is the worst mistake you've ever made, or thought you'd made?"

As always, don't use this thread for anything political, offensive, or otherwise liable to get the thread locked and ruin the fun for everyone else. Other internet common-sense applies - don't post anything that might later come back to bite you or that you may later regret.

Example: A few years ago I accidentally pulled my memory stick out of a friend's computer at an angle and got part of the USB port stuck in the connector on the memory stick, wrecking the port and the memory stick, and losing all the data on it... still some work on there that I'll probably never see again :(

Approached a man and started my sentence with 'excuse me sir.' It was only after our encounter and as I was walking away did I realize that it was a woman I was speaking to.

48 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Approached a man and started my sentence with 'excuse me sir.' It was only after our encounter and as I was walking away did I realize that it was a woman I was speaking to.

Fair enough... not sure why you quoted me for that though...

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

The split decision I made to take a break from writing my midterm all day that was due late tonight. Went to grab a Starbucks and wash my car at a car wash that has those conveyer belt things. Dude behind me didn’t put his car in neutral and rear ended me. I told myself before I left the house thinking what’s the chances of this happening. I was so pissed and emotional that   I didn’t get his full info not even the liscence plate. I just wanted to go home and finish writing my test. The car wash did a incident report though and got our infos.

Also the dude from my insurance I talked to was pretty chill. We talked a lot more than he we needed to 😂

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Worked as a software engineer for a company's warehouse management system.  Was doing some database cleanup for Some Reason™ and I did this:

image.png.746030c7eeefbfd7b307c6ba1577109a.png

With the SQL editor in this state, I hit "Execute."  It then proceeded to execute.  The highlighted line.  And ONLY the highlighted line.  

Fortunately it was "relatively easy" to reverse: it only shut down the warehouse for like 30 or so minutes.  

I stopped logging in to production with privileged credentials after that.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

I can't think of anything off the top of the my, but since I do this once in a while

Pour myself a glass of milk, then start putting back the milk in the fridge, but I end up putting the glass in the fridge instead of the milk jug...

Or after getting some cereals, open the fridge... to store the cereal box in it instead of the pantry...

I've been doing this shit since I was a kid and I still feel extremely stupid every single time. I usually catch myself very quickly, before I ever actual "deposit" the item in...

Ah wait, while writing this I remembered one or two. Opened a can of gravy. Instead of emptying it in the pot, I poured about half of it right beside the pot in a blind haze thinking I was above the pot.

Or when I went to put my i7 875k CPU into the CPU socket of my motherboard, and just drove it diagonally into the socket instead... Killed that brand new motherboard...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

16 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Fair enough... not sure why you quoted me for that though...

Your question was in your paragraph so figured you'd wanna be notified of answers. My bad

4 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Your question was in your paragraph so figured you'd wanna be notified of answers. My bad

Well I do, but OP gets a notification automatically about every new post, so if you quote then I often get two notifications.

Don't worry about it, it's an easy mistake to make.

pythonmegapixel

37 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

so if you quote then I often get two notifications.

Was honestly unaware of that, good to know

Transferring 2400€ worth of bitcoin I found lying on a mining pool I mined in in 2011, to an old wallet. 

Could have been 2400€ on my bank account, instead it's gone, noone has it.

Happened a while ago but still can't get over it.

I edit my posts more often than not

I decided to see what would happen if I encapsulated sodium metal in something designed to buy it a little bit of time before it came into contact with water, then flushed it just to see what would happen.

Spoiler alert: a felony happens.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I decided to see what would happen if I encapsulated sodium metal in something designed to buy it a little bit of time before it came into contact with water, then flushed it just to see what would happen.

Oof, you flushed a group 1 metal LOL. I'm thinking what my hugest onosecond moment is still.

I remember in middle school I ate a couple grains of copper chloride and the taste of copper lasted for something like a week xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

25 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oof

That's what the toilet said. This was way, way back before pressing F was a thing, but I definitely said F. It wasn't so much to pay respects as it was to say, "Oh F, I'd better not be here when someone shows up."

25 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I remember in middle school I ate a couple grains of copper chloride and the taste of copper lasted for something like a week xD

I'd ask you what would possess you to do such a thing, but that would require me to ask myself what possessed me to take a quantity of metal that I knew explodes in water, then see what happened if I exposed a bunch of it to a lot of water.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Reminds me of the orbeez incident.

12 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'd ask you what would possess you to do such a thing, but that would require me to ask myself what possessed me to take a quantity of metal that I knew explodes in water, then see what happened if I exposed a bunch of it to a lot of water.

I wanted to see if it did taste like copper, like chemistry classes claimed (since in water salts separate and ionize, I'd be tasting the copper ions. And I did, for a week).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

20 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'd ask you what would possess you to do such a thing

not who you were talking to, but sometimes you see blue salt and just wanna know if it tastes salty (spoiler alert, it doesn't)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler