Food & Cooking

whm1974
9 minutes ago, Mling said:

you all don't like seafood coz you're land lubbers who have never tasted my cooking!

First recipe is from my russian friend: put a fillet of fish in the fridge over night covered in 1/2 tea spoon of salt and sugar and one shot of vodka. Serve raw in a salad or cook as you wish. Best smoked (depending on fish).

Second recipe lemon/lime chilli: coat fillet in battered egg. then bread crumbs. then coat in oil that has spent one week being infused with dried chillis. Fry or bake and serve with lemon/lime sauce.

Third recipe smoked fish pie: smoke the fish then put in a pot with some water, milk, and corn starch. when you get a nice saucy pie filling put it in a oven dish and coat with sweet potato/kumara and top with tasty/aged chedder or parmesan cheese.

Would that be Cold or Hot Smoked? Doing this Hot does an advantage of last long, time less time require for smoking, and can eat as is. Cold on the other hand needs to cooked first, and take days to smoke the product.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Would that be Cold or Hot Smoked? Doing this Hot does an advantage of last long, time less time require for smoking, and can eat as is. Cold on the other hand needs to cooked first, and take days to smoke the product.

The russian recipe? depends on the fish but I dont do cold smoking. I have never had time to try it. Freezing and gutting fish as soon as I catch it does more for freshness than anything else. 

4 minutes ago, Mling said:

The russian recipe? depends on the fish but I dont do cold smoking. I have never had time to try it. Freezing and gutting fish as soon as I catch it does more for freshness than anything else. 

Well if I had a smoker, then I would Hot Smoke whatever meat or fish I had. I wounder if Peoples ever preserved Anchovies or Sardines this way? Herring yes, but that may just be a British thing. As in Kippered Fish. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper

On 1/1/2021 at 9:15 PM, whm1974 said:

So what are your Seafood Perferances?

Canned tuna only. I dont eat any other seafood or fish. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i think i noticed a pattern here

several of my friend that is disgusted by the smell of fish (and thus dislike them) still like the taste of fried catfish

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well if I had a smoker, then I would Hot Smoke whatever meat or fish I had. I wounder if Peoples ever preserved Anchovies or Sardines this way? Herring yes, but that may just be a British thing. As in Kippered Fish. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper

I can buy a smoker for as cheap as NZD$60. It's just a stainless box with a rack and a little dish to burn methanol on. I dont use the dish. I make a better meth burner out of tuna cans or I drop it on a BBQ. My father made his smoker out of an old stainless sink that fits perfectly on his BBQ. We don't do the vertical hanging style that europeans do.

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

I'm assuming that is Japanese. But why are a few Users Posting Japanese phases for? After English is the World's Current Lingua franca now.

うっせー

36 minutes ago, Mling said:

I can buy a smoker for as cheap as NZD$60. It's just a stainless box with a rack and a little dish to burn methanol on. I dont use the dish. I make a better meth burner out of tuna cans or I drop it on a BBQ. My father made his smoker out of an old stainless sink that fits perfectly on his BBQ. We don't do the vertical hanging style that europeans do.

I'm not sure how the Native Americans up in the Northwestern US did their Smoking Salmon though. I'm thinking Vertical Hanging using Hot Smoking.

1 hour ago, Mutoh said:

そんなことしちゃだめだよ !

面白い人です。🤣

ごめんな。ヤングな女の人のパイパンは味が甘いけど、熟女の毛マンコの方がおいしいって思う。でも、女子の絶対領域、すげー。

• 2 weeks later...

So sometimes if I am running low on coffee, especially the Grourement kind, I'll make another 5 cup Pot without changing Coffee grounds. Funny thing is, the third Pot doesn't taste any weaker then the first.

You do you, but that's gonna be a hard pass from me on that.

There shouldn't even be enough dissolvable material left in the grounds when properly brewed for a second pot, let alone a third! Do you use way too many grounds for how much water you put in? Or do you just brew it really weak to begin with?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

it's fine

in theory all of that coffee shouldn't neither be putted in the coffee machine, but well doing so it's faster

19 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

put the beans in your teeth, instant coffee.

Or better yet, don't get addicted to coffee in the first place.

When you reach the point of "needing your fix" every morning to even be "functional", you're past the point of no return (without a lot of efforts)

It's fine if you brew it twice or thrice. Though I do wonder how come there's so much left... Is it a coarse ground? Or do you just put little water and a lot of coffee grounds?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Or better yet, don't get addicted to coffee in the first place.

When you reach the point of "needing your fix" every morning to even be "functional", you're past the point of no return (without a lot of efforts)

It's fine if you brew it twice or thrice. Though I do wonder how come there's so much left... Is it a coarse ground? Or do you just put little water and a lot of coffee grounds?

I use a 1/4 Cup per 5 Cup Coffee maker. Should I use less? NVM. The package says 1/2 cup of coffee per 10 cup pot.

8 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So sometimes if I am running low on coffee, especially the Grourement kind, I'll make another 5 cup Pot without changing Coffee grounds. Funny thing is, the third Pot doesn't taste any weaker then the first.

This. This is why aliens do not visit us.

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I use a 1/4 Cup per 5 Cup Coffee maker. Should I use less? NVM. The package says 1/2 cup of coffee per 10 cup pot.

The best way to deal with coffee is to weigh. Ultimately it all depends on your preferences and not so much what the manual or package says. It seems there's roughly 82 grams of coffee in 1/4 cup (varies with grind size of course) and ~1200 grams of water in 5 cups. That's a 1:15 ratio, which fits around the general trend that people do for drip brew.

It's perfectly possible and safe to reuse, but the subsequent cups will have pretty much no caffeine and will taste weaker at best or much worse at worst. You could also try stretching it with more water / less coffee instead of reusing, if you don't mind a weaker brew.

11 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Do you use way too many grounds for how much water you put in? Or do you just brew it really weak to begin with?

Could be bad extraction or stale flavourless beans to start with.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

39 minutes ago, tikker said:

The best way to deal with coffee is to weigh. Ultimately it all depends on your preferences and not so much what the manual or package says. It seems there's roughly 82 grams of coffee in 1/4 cup (varies with grind size of course) and ~1200 grams of water in 5 cups. That's a 1:15 ratio, which fits around the general trend that people do for drip brew.

It's perfectly possible and safe to reuse, but the subsequent cups will have pretty much no caffeine and will taste weaker at best or much worse at worst. You could also try stretching it with more water / less coffee instead of reusing, if you don't mind a weaker brew.

Could be bad extraction or stale flavourless beans to start with.

This is Kroger's Breakfast Blend, which is Mild Roasted. I discovered that I enjoy this type instead of Medium or Dark Roast.

I am using a different method of making coffee (portafilter) and I notice that coffee gets a very bitter taste in case of overextraction. That bitter taste also appears if already extracted coffee grains remained in the system since the last brewing cycle.
As others have stated, I also think that you might be using so much coffee that the second and third extracts still are good. Just be careful not to leave coffee ground for too long after the first extraction as they might get moldy quite quickly (I have noticed it because I sometimes keep coffee grounds for later use as a plant fertilizer or to protect plants from getting eaten by snails).

2 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

I am using a different method of making coffee (portafilter) and I notice that coffee gets a very bitter taste in case of overextraction. That bitter taste also appears if already extracted coffee grains remained in the system since the last brewing cycle.
As others have stated, I also think that you might be using so much coffee that the second and third extracts still are good. Just be careful not to leave coffee ground for too long after the first extraction as they might get moldy quite quickly (I have noticed it because I sometimes keep coffee grounds for later use as a plant fertilizer or to protect plants from getting eaten by snails).

I drink about three 5 cup pots a day. More if I get up earlier. But I started doing this with the Gourmet Coffees due to higher cost and smaller amounts coming in 12 oz Bags instead of 28 oz Cans.

And when I'm getting low on coffee. I don't leave used coffee grounds in the reusable filter.

4 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

Espresso will become bitter in case of overextraction yes. This means you need to use less coffee or grind coarser. Subsequent brews would also be more bitter, because that's  mostly all that's left to extract (all the good stuff has already been extracted in the first round).

5 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

As others have stated, I also think that you might be using so much coffee that the second and third extracts still are good.

His coffee to water ratio seems fine for drip. This is of course subjective and people shoud experiment with ratio to match their tastes!

24 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

This is Kroger's Breakfast Blend, which is Mild Roasted. I discovered that I enjoy this type instead of Medium or Dark Roast.

Never had that coffee so I can't judge it. Preground coffee is typically the worst when it comes to freshness, so that could explain something. It loses freshness quickly compared to whole beans. Moreover grocery store coffee usually sits on the shelve for quite a while. I've had varying experiences on grocery store coffee. My go to is Lavazza at the moment.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Espresso will become bitter in case of overextraction yes. This means you need to use less coffee or grind coarser. Subsequent brews would also be more bitter, because that's  mostly all that's left to extract (all the good stuff has already been extracted in the first round).

His coffee to water ratio seems fine for drip. This is of course subjective and people shoud experiment with ratio to match their tastes!

Never had that coffee so I can't judge it. Preground coffee is typically the worst when it comes to freshness, so that could explain something. It loses freshness quickly compared to whole beans. Moreover grocery store coffee usually sits on the shelve for quite a while. I've had varying experiences on grocery store coffee. My go to is Lavazza at the moment.

Well I think Ruler Foods goes their Stock of coffee fairly quickly. I never had any issues with their Breakfast Blend since I started drinking it.

34 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

From my experience, milder roasts tend to have more acidity and less bitterness than darker roasts, so that along with possibly the weaker brews might explain why the second and third brews still taste fine. I once tried a dark roast that even tasted a bit like charcoal, so there is quite a large spectrum there.

Just out of curiosity, do you like coffee because of the taste, because of its effects (caffeine), both?
Do you drink black coffee or do you add milk? Milk tends to mask parts of the taste, that's why I always try an espresso when deciding which type of coffee beans to buy.