Food & Cooking

whm1974
8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I can't say, that I like or hate anchovies. I do eat fish, and anchovies is just another fish. What's great about anchovies is their sizes, they can be made into snacks, that's sold in some Asian supermarkets.

The larger Anchovy Species are actually cooked on a grill. Not salt cured at all.

14 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I have eaten dried squid from Japan before. I didn't even know what they were. But very tasty... My stepfather brought two bags back from Japan when his Employer sent him there.

He was sort of amazed that I ate both bags and lightly upset,  before he had any. I must have been 11 or 12 at the time.

Other then that: Tuna, whitefish, Anchovies on Pizza, and now canned Anchovies in Olive Oil.

You can get the stuff in most Asian bodegas. It’s a common snack in Hawaii.  It come prepared or unprepared.  Unprepared looks a bit like roadkill squid, prepared is usually a crosshatched sheet that kind of resemble expanded steel in shape.  The prepared stuff is a bit easier to tear and isn’t as chewy (still very chewy though) the prepared stuff can also be flavored.  I have found the flavoring is usually sweet.  Dunno why.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, whm1974 said:

The larger Anchovy Species are actually cooked on a grill. Not salt cured at all.

Only had the small ones, and never the big ones, and cooking on a grill sounds really good.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

• 2 weeks later...

I've drinking a flavor of Kroger Drink Mix other then their Tea drink mix both yesterday during dinner and Today. I'm trying to avoid Caffeine by the time it gets dark. I have a good reason for doing this now.

Now the time I had any such Teas is my mother had a Box of Sleepy Time and kept it when and got my place when I was 22. I did had from time before trying the box out. While I did enjoy this and help get some sleep at the Time, I didn't buy any more.

So do any of you use any herbal teas and which ones do you enjoy?

this may sound odd, but I drink earl grey, I know it has caffeine, but it's so little that it seems to just almost relax me, I have a crippling caffeine addiction so that may be why.

but on the other hand I tried a orange and liquorice herbal tea that I really liked, it was stash.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Camomile tea is great for relaxing, though I rarely drink tea to relax. I have to be pretty careful with caffine, can't have any after about three in the afternoon or I'm going to have trouble sleeping :/

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

No, never liked tea, never liked coffee and never liked Mountain Dew. If I'm tired but I can't fall asleep, I'll drink water or, at the most, take melatonin to help me sleep.

Well herbal teas don't taste the same as Leaves from the Tea Plant.

4 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

this may sound odd, but I drink earl grey, I know it has caffeine, but it's so little that it seems to just almost relax me, I have a crippling caffeine addiction so that may be why.

but on the other hand I tried a orange and liquorice herbal tea that I really liked, it was stash.

I too have a Crippling caffeine addiction. To caffeinated Soda. As long it is one or two cans a day and no more I can control that it seems. Diet Mt Dew is out of the question. So is Regular one. I vomited before drinking a 2L of that. Even less then that makes me feel sick.

I never Had Earl Grey before. I think I first heard of that on ST:TNG which Capt. Pickcard enjoyed.

Where did you get the Orange Liquorice Herbal Tea.

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Camomile tea is great for relaxing, though I rarely drink tea to relax. I have to be pretty careful with caffine, can't have any after about three in the afternoon or I'm going to have trouble sleeping :/

That is the kind I am thinking of drinking past afternoon. How is it? AFAIK I never had any. The Herbal Stuff my mother had may be that or a mixture of Relaxing Herbs.

Camomile, tilia  (lime tree says wiki), catmint is ok I guess - but taste a bit funny, elderflower is nice, verbena

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

15 minutes ago, Nup said:

Camomile, tilia  (lime tree says wiki), catmint is ok I guess - but taste a bit funny, elderflower is nice, verbena

Catmint? Never heard of it before. Is that the same the same as Catnip?

13 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Catmint? Never heard of it before. Is that the same the same as Catnip?

That's it. It's just a very close cousin. 

4 minutes ago, Nup said:

That's it. It's just a very close cousin. 

Close enough to make adult cats go crazy? Hemp is a very close cousin of Pot, with the only real difference is that it Either doesn't any THC or so little of it that Chez and choorge.  No idea how to spell their names. I never seen any of the films, merely clips.

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Close enough to make adult cats go crazy? Hemp is a very close cousin of Pot, with the only real difference is that it Either doesn't any THC or so little of it that Chez and choorge.  No idea how to spell their names. I never seen any of the films, merely clips.

Not sure! I think catnip

is more potent for cats though, sadly not for us 😛

I find going to bed with lights out and an alarm early helps set the sleep schedule. 

20 minutes ago, fpo said:

I find going to bed with lights out and an alarm early helps set the sleep schedule. 

Well I have been having an Issue with my thoughts recently, but I don't want to go Off-Topic which I nearly did with both mine and other Poster's Topics. Good thing I caught that before posting...

Before it Started and got to a Boiling Point I also gotten up early myself, beginning to do that again this Moring.

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well I have been having an Issue with my thoughts recently, but I don't want to go Off-Topic which I nearly did with both mine and other Poster's Topics. Good thing I caught that before posting...

Before it Started and got to a Boiling Point I also gotten up early myself, beginning to do that again this Moring.

Realign your focus. 

Whatever will happen will happen. Don't stress over anything. 

6 hours ago, fpo said:

Realign your focus. 

Whatever will happen will happen. Don't stress over anything. 

Well I don't agree with the former but with latter I do. That said, as mention I have some really good reasons to avoid consuming caffeine at certain time. I don't want to post about due the risk of completely off subject of Herbal Teas. I do want such Teas for both Relaxing and Sleeping. Although two different ones. You know one for when I need to relax and another one to help me get some sleep.

One of reasons is get back off Diet Mt Dew after quitting Cold Turkey for around a year and half. I was drinking Diet Dr Pepper and the only start drinking the Brand is because the local 7-11 close by to me has a discount on Pepsi Product at that Time. By two 2L for $3.25 instead $5 something for the one I was drinking.

Anyway getting back on the Topic on hand. Let's say say that I become easily Triggered and kept on getting Triggered by things that don't even remotely bother me to with.

Which why I'm going to drink such Herbal Teas in the first place.

I was wondering if anyone here on this forum bakes their own bread? Now I may have posted before about making Oatcakes. That didn't turn out right the first few times I tried it. Now I'm thinking that a Rolling Pin or something I can place the dough on roll it flat, and use a cookie cutter to cut out the cakes and just put them on the skillet. then flip them over.

I had been quite successful with doing Pancakes using Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and using a hot skillet. I use melted butter mixed in with the batter. One big of doing is that I make a batch of them, turn off the skillet, flip the plate over,and cover the Pancakes with the Lid. This way they don't become dried, harden, stale sitting there like the Muffins do. I also don't heat up my apartment as using the oven will do.

No does their own breads? Not even Pancakes? I did find this on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupusa

This made from Masa Flour which is Nixtamalized Maize. I never eaten Pupusas before maybe I'll buy some Masa Harisa from a Mexican Food Store and make this myself. I think both Save-a-Lot and Ruler Foods might have this. Save-a-Lot does cater to Mexican Americans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masa

47 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

I'm a cook not a baker.

I've tried to make my own noodles before but I'm really bad at that.

I just made Corn Pancakes using Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. And when I went to get my Med one of older Woman who live in the same Apartments(all SRO) offered me a bowl of chili.

Oh by the way you have be a Baker to bake your own breads. I don't a Bread Pan either. Just simply put the dough(s) on the rack. Flatbreads as far I as I know are the eastist. I may need to look that up however.

BTW the way does anyone if there are Herbal Teas that are in 2 QT/2L size Sachets? That is how buy my Peach Tea at Ruler Foods. I like it due to I am not fond of hot drink unless I need to drink something hot and cold coffee doesn't taste very cold. I do however pour a little of milk to cool just a little so my lips and mouth aren't scald.

I'm looking the Walgreens Website now to see waht tey have in the local store within walking distant.

I just from Walgreens nearly an Hours ago and purchased four boxes, two brands of Herbal Tea. One "Sleepy Time" and a Chamomile. Both are the "Celestial Seasonings" Brand.

The other Brand "is BIGELOW" Mint Medley and Lemon Ginger. I already drink a cup of the Chamomile and about to drink cup of that. I used one teabag to brew the small pot. I already brew another pot of the Lemon Ginger. About drink another cup of Herbal of Herbal Tea. Merely a review.

yes protein bread. grow half teaspoon of yeast in 1/2 cup of 38 degrees C milk with a TABLEspoon of sugar.

then blend with 6 eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 TABLEspoon of lard; bake

it's okay.