Food & Cooking

whm1974
3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What are the best brands and Areas to get some from?

there are no brands... not that i know of

i just get from reputable makers

but tbh, it should be fine, most of the time

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

there are no brands... not that i know of

i just get from reputable makers

but tbh, it should be fine, most of the time

I am referring to what is exported to the US or what is sold on Amazon? I did go to them grocery store this morning purchased a small can of Anchovies in Olive Oil. I only had them on Pizza AFAIK.  Or Real Worcestershire Sauce. Which does have Anchovies.

23 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I've getting Anchovies on Dominos Pizza for a month or so now, and I'm wondering if people who say they hate the Fish, actually had anchovies before.

You mention eating two troubling things in that sentence and Anchovies are the least of the two. 😉

-kp

1 minute ago, kpluck said:

You mention eating two troubling things in that sentence and Anchovies are the least of the two. 😉

-kp

Take that back. Domino's is better than everyone else and you know it, you monster

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

7 minutes ago, kpluck said:

-kp

What is exactly so Troublesome about Domino's Pizza, and what's wrong with Anchovies? They are a very common Fish in the Mediterranean Sea. meaning multiple Nations there widely consume them.

Just wondering but I purchased a small can of Anchovies in Olive Oil and and a Corned Beef Brisket, and wondering if I can use a Fillet as a Secret Ingredient in a slow cooker?

Personally l think anchovies work best when they are ground or shredded or something. Turned into a flavoring rather than a meat.  They’re just too strong by themselves.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Personally l think anchovies work best when they are ground or shredded or something. Turned into a flavoring rather than a meat.  They’re just too strong by themselves.

Well I find them easier to consume on Pizza with other toppings. Jalapenos are a good one and maybe Pineapple, mushrooms, Banana Peppers.

20 hours ago, zhnu said:

I see you anchovies and raise you canned sardines in olive oil.

I hate Sardines. Although I never had them in Olive Oi before.l

AdolescentGleefulEasternnewt-max-1mb.gif.0ac9a522422b32171a8353ae3ec6450d.gif

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

47 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I hate Sardines. Although I never had them in Olive Oi before.l

They’re very strong. When I was a kid I hated blue cheese because it was just too strong to be edible. But as a grownup I grew to crave it.  Just because you ate it as a kid and hated it doesn’t mean you’ll hate it now.

there is a trick than can be done with both sardines and anchovies to make them less strong: soak them in milk for 15 minutes.  Just pour out the oil and throw some milk right in the can.  The milk get thrown away btw. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They’re very strong. When I was a kid I hated blue cheese because it was just too strong to be edible. But as a grownup I grew to crave it.  Just because you ate it as a kid and hated it doesn’t mean you’ll hate it now.

there is a trick than can be done with both sardines and anchovies to make them less strong: soak them in milk for 15 minutes.  Just pour out the oil and throw some milk right in the can.  The milk get thrown away btw. 

Well I find Sardines to more bland then strong...

Anyone ever had  Spanish white anchovies or Boquerones?

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well I find Sardines to more bland then strong...

Anyone ever had  Spanish white anchovies or Boquerones?

There is a certain salt water fish overtone though.  

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There is a certain salt water fish overtone though.  

I can't tell if you can just eat them or cook them first. I was under the impression that they are packed and pickled in Vinegar. Can they sold that way?

48 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I can't tell if you can just eat them or cook them first. I was under the impression that they are packed and pickled in Vinegar. Can they sold that way?

Sardines or anchovies?  Canning generally cooks.  Part of the process is heating them.  Things can be canned raw though.  I’ve seen sardines packed in tomato sauce or oil or mustard, ive seen anchovies packed in oil or water or mustard.  I assume there’s lots of ways both are done.

Edited by Bombastinator

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sardines or anchovies?  Canning generally cooks.  Part of the process is heating them.  Things can be canned raw though.  

Wouldn't canning raw foods say, cook said food?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Wouldn't canning raw foods say, cook said food?

Pasteurization doesn’t absolutely have to.  Also not everything that is canned is pasteurized.  There is this Scandinavian thing that might even be sardines where the fish are put in whole (with guts) and not pasteurized.  The can tends to distend badly from gasses and it supposed to be one of the most foul smelling foods that exists.  The stuff can’t be sold in the US because of the pasteurization thing.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Pasteurization doesn’t absolutely have to.  Also not everything that is canned is pasteurized.  There is this Scandinavian thing that might even be sardines where the fish are put in whole (with guts) and not pasteurized.  The can tends to distend badly from gasses and it supposed to be one of the most foul smelling foods that exists.  The stuff can’t be sold in the US because of the pasteurization thing.

I read about that on Wikipedia and elsewhere, I forgot what it is called. I know it is not Lutefisk, which is treat with lye.  And no young person will eat either one.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I read about that on Wikipedia and elsewhere, I forgot what it is called. I know it is not Lutefisk, which is treat with lye.  And no young person will eat either one.

I’ve had lutefisk but not the other stuff.  
it’s quite forgettable.  Tastes like fish jello.

Lutefisk isn’t even actually even eaten in Scandinavia.  It’s a leftover from 19th century immigrants.  Lutefisk and pizza are both that way.  Italy “reclaimed” pizza, but they did it by having this huge nationwide competition to get everyone to rifle recipie books and whatnot looking for something that was pizza like enough that Italy could claim it under the EU food monopoly laws that got instituted in the 80’s.  

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve had lutefisk but not the other stuff.  
it’s quite forgettable.  Tastes like fish jello.

Lutefisk isn’t even actually even eaten in Scandinavia.  It’s a leftover from 19th century immigrants.  Lutefisk and pizza are both that way.  Italy “reclaimed” pizza, but they did it by having this huge nationwide competition to get everyone to rifle recipie books and whatnot looking for something that was pizza like enough that Italy could claim it under the EU food monopoly laws that got instituted in the 80’s.  

Pizza is the National Dish of Italy, so I can't see how they lost it in the first place. And yes I'm aware that it started out as a Peasant/Workmen/Poor Staple.

By the way I just finished putting in my Corned Beef in the slow cooker and I put two anchovy fillets in on top, and turn the thing on. I'll tell about this comes out the morning. I also poured a little bit of olive oil from in as well.

Oh and I just ate four pieces of anchovy with wheat crisp crackers... Not too bad at all. Not as strong as what is put on Pizza.

I love anchovies, I also love any kind of seafood.  I'm the only person in my friend group that'll eat squid and octopus for example.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

22 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I love anchovies, I also love any kind of seafood.  I'm the only person in my friend group that'll eat squid and octopus for example.  

I have eaten dried squid from Japan before. I didn't even know what they were. But very tasty... My stepfather brought two bags back from Japan when his Employer sent him there.

He was sort of amazed that I ate both bags and lightly upset,  before he had any. I must have been 11 or 12 at the time.

Other then that: Tuna, whitefish, Anchovies on Pizza, and now canned Anchovies in Olive Oil.

The Anchovies canned in olive oil with Sea Salt doesn't taste briny at, with a noticeable hint of Salt. I got this over at Ruler Foods, a discount grocery store owned by Kroger.

I wonder if I would enjoy White Anchovies in Olive Oil from Wild Planet? Or the one they have in Water w/ Sea Salt.

I can't say, that I like or hate anchovies. I do eat fish, and anchovies is just another fish. What's great about anchovies is their sizes, they can be made into snacks, that's sold in some Asian supermarkets.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list