Food & Cooking

whm1974

I will have to look up Protein Breads and I wonder they still retain enough Cards and Fats/Oil to prevent Protein Poisoning. Look here for what that is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

Note: this is Deadly if a sub-population eats only lots of really Lean Meats due to being the only foods available. Like Wild Rabbits for an example.

However I have never read or heard of this occurring with those that consume mostly Plant Foods, even those that are High in Protein.

This what Ghee is:

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/popular-ingredients/ghee

It looks easy to make. But perhaps a little bit time consuming to do? Something silmilar to Drawn Butter but with slightly nutty flavor. Or at least, as I never has this before. Or for that matter, Drawn Butter.

Well I'm going to try making a Mason Jar worth. I do have a Sauce Pan. Just a Mason Jar and maybe a metal filter. Or I could use a paper coffee filter instead. Spread the Browned Milk Solids on toast or something. Need to like that up.

"Anyone ever made Ghee before?"

I am going to say no, since this is the first time i have seen the word.

*edit

I looked at the link annnnd I dont feel inclined to try it. I buy butter at the store, good enough for me. ;) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

"Anyone ever made Ghee before?"

I am going to say no, since this is the first time i have seen the word.

*edit

I looked at the link annnnd I dont feel inclined to try it. I buy butter at the store, good enough for me. ;) 

Well it does have a Smoke Point of over 400 degrees. On top of that, those who can't tolerate Milk Sugar can use Ghee.

Seems the only I can get it, is to make my own. I'll keep it in the Fridge or freezer of course.

I'll let you guys know when I make any and if I like it or not.

You ever had Indian food from a Takeaway or Restaurant? If so then you've almost certainly had Ghee before.

You can buy it from Amazon.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 hours ago, whm1974 said:

This what Ghee is:

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/popular-ingredients/ghee

It looks easy to make. But perhaps a little bit time consuming to do? Something silmilar to Drawn Butter but with slightly nutty flavor. Or at least, as I never has this before. Or for that matter, Drawn Butter.

Well I'm going to try making a Mason Jar worth. I do have a Sauce Pan. Just a Mason Jar and maybe a metal filter. Or I could use a paper coffee filter instead. Spread the Browned Milk Solids on toast or something. Need to like that up.

We call it "Butterschmalz" in German. You can buy it in grocery stores. It is used for cooking, mostly in restaurants. If you don't like the taste of butter you can use oil instead. Ghee is basically the fatty part of butter without the taste of it. I have seen that stuff while on vacation in Canada as well, can't remember what it called though. I know because I wanted butter and bought that one by mistake. 

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

We call it "Butterschmalz" in German. You can buy it in grocery stores. It is used for cooking, mostly in restaurants. If you don't like the taste of butter you can use oil instead. Ghee is basically the fatty part of butter without the taste of it. I have seen that stuff while on vacation in Canada as well, can't remember what it called though. I know because I wanted butter and bought that one by mistake. 

Well the two big advantages of this are the higher 400 degrees Smoke Point and that those with Lactose Intolerance can consume some in their foods.

Now both Ghee and Clafired Butter are somewhat different.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Well the two big advantages of this are the higher 400 degrees Smoke Point and that those with Lactose Intolerance can consume some in their foods.

Now both Ghee and Clafired Butter are somewhat different.

So my cousin is lactose intolerant and processed items such as regular butter and yogurt are not a problem. Maybe it depends on the butter, not all butter is made in the same way. There are actually different standards in making butter. An I agree, it is better for cooking but so are some oils. I try to avoid superheating fats anyways so that is less of an issue to me but if you can make something yourself, go for it. 

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

So my cousin is lactose intolerant and processed items such as regular butter and yogurt are not a problem. Maybe it depends on the butter, not all butter is made in the same way. There are actually different standards in making butter. An I agree, it is better for cooking but so are some oils. I try to avoid superheating fats anyways so that is less of an issue to me but if you can make something yourself, go for it. 

Well the I read ghee described as the butter is sliced up, place in small Sauce Pan and gently heated up until slowly browned. Then you skimmed the surface clear of the brown Solids.

I really do not care for seafood at all: Oysters, Makeral, Pink Salome, and the lowly Sardines. However, fish like: Tuna, Anchovies, Whitefish, Smoked Herring, and I do enjoy Dried Squid.

And I will enjoy a plate of Fried Catfish, but that is a Freshwater Fish... To my knowledge, I have never eaten Cod or Mussels, nor Cuttlefish.

I will eat Clam Chowder. However I will not go out of my way to get that. Lobster Bites I will go out of my way for, but forgot about place an entire Lobster or just the tail in front of me.

So what are your Seafood Perferances?

I dislike all seafood, fish and what not, equally.

Literally makes me puke if it comes in contact with the inside of my mouth, can't even swallow.

My preference is for them to stay in the water so I never have to smell them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't eat sushi, or shrimp, shellfish, or even fish that isn't Alaskan Sockeye Salmon.  If it's farm raise or wild catch I don't eat it.  Sushi is extremely dangerous people don't eat it.  

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

My favorite food genre is seafood

Can't think of one that I dislike off the top of my head, except for abalone, they stink, or become tasteless once you clean them properly, but their texture still sucks.

I've had many fishes from fresh to sea water, sea cucumbers, sea urchin, crabs, many types of shellfish cooked and raw, shrimps and prawns, you name it

Fishing is one of my hobby and when I go sea fishing, I bring soy sauce and a knife to prep sashimi (yes I'm aware of the risk)

One of the best shrimp I've had was cooked with instant noodles, while I was on a boat fishing for them, nothing gets fresher than that

Been eating fish since I was a kid so I can pick fish bones in my mouth, that's one skill I'm proud of.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

41 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

If it's farm raise or wild catch I don't eat it.  Sushi is extremely dangerous people don't eat it.  

This doesn't make sense. All Fish is either Farmed or Wild Catch. I do agree about Sushi.

Fish sticks

Calamari with marinara sauce

shrimp is okay. They look a bit funky, so I'm not super into it. I'm used to eating food that doesn't look like animals. I'm trying to break out of that & want to go hunting to help with that.

I purchased some Cans of Kippers from Big Lots and I enjoyed them at the time. They were Smoked Herring.

Next on the Menu are dried Anchovies...

11 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

This doesn't make sense. All Fish is either Farmed or Wild Catch. I do agree about Sushi.

Well farm raise fish is toxic and any wild caught fish like off the coast of China is toxic.  So I try to eat only Salmon if it's from Alaska.  Anywhere else is a big no for me.

2 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Well farm raise fish is toxic and any wild caught fish like off the coast of China is toxic.  So I try to eat only Salmon if it's from Alaska.  Anywhere else is a big no for me.

What about the rest of the US?

11 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What about the rest of the US?

I used to eat Red Snapper, Almaco Jack, Greater Amberjack,  Red Drum, Gag Grouper, Red Grouper, Black Seabass, King Mackerel, Florida Pompano, Spanish Mackerel, Spotted Seatrout, Sand Seatrout, and Croaker off the coast of Destin, FL.  But that's many years ago.  As of right now just Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, Sardines in "Water" or Virgin Olive Oil, and Smoked Kipper Snacks if it's from Spain, Poland, or Canada. If not any Sardines off the coast of Morocco is fine.

As for Tuna I used to eat it a lot then I saw that most canned Tuna is from Thailand, Vietnam, or China which I don't buy.  Sometimes I buy some Tuna from South Korea is which 100% tasty you can get them in Water, Oil, or hot pepper sauce.  

I'm a huge fan of calamari, sushi...cod, pollock and haddock are pretty good battered as well. I've never been a fan of canned tuna. Reminds me too much of cat food.

44 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

I don't eat sushi, or shrimp, shellfish, or even fish that isn't Alaskan Sockeye Salmon.  If it's farm raise or wild catch I don't eat it.  Sushi is extremely dangerous people don't eat it.  

It's really not that bad. Extremely dangerous is a massive over exaggeration.

8 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

I hope you know all fish has mercury in it, be it Alaskan or otherwise.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I'm a huge fan of calamari, sushi...cod, pollock and haddock are pretty good battered as well. I've never been a fan of canned tuna. Reminds me too much of cat food.

It's really not that bad. Extremely dangerous is a massive over exaggeration.

I hope you know all fish has mercury in it, be it Alaskan or otherwise.

That is true but I don't eat like Tilapia, Sawaii, Catfish, Basa, Tra, Shark, and Eels

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

I dislike all seafood, fish and what not, equally.

Literally makes me puke if it comes in contact with the inside of my mouth, can't even swallow.

I'm exactly the same way.  Absolute disgust.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |