Food & Cooking

whm1974
10 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

I have a hard time believing smoked salmon would stay edible for 5-6months without freezing it or drying it to a rock while smoking. Fermented salmon could store better but I would rather keep a hole open in a lake through a winter :D

While I've seen the documentary a long wile back back so maybe they did dried the fish to whatever degree while smoking? Or use a Salt Rub beforehand?

Well it turns out that some Native tribes did have Salt and traded with other tribes for other things. They used it mostly for seasoning and not for preserving foods.

https://www.crt.state.la.us/dataprojects/archaeology/virtualbooks/SALT/hist.htm

I have no clue where I gotten the Native Americans didn't have salt at.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/publications/vs/cutting.html

https://www.anoffgridlife.com/how-to-make-dried-fish/

Spoiler

fish%20strips.jpg

Do you mean dry fish? It's really good!

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

11 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Sorry to all for the double post. Here's some stuff in archives up here about this stuff. If you search up "Tlingit dry fish" (pronounced like Lingit or Clingit) there are a lot of archives.

http://www.goldbeltheritage.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DRA-40-The-Tlingit-Way-to-Treat-Salmon.pdf

http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/curriculum/Tlingit/PaulineDuncan/posters/TlingitDriedFish/used.html

https://www.sheldonmuseum.org/vignettes/tlingit-fishing

The last 2 show up as "spoting" sites and so I can't see them on my work computer to double check them.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

Sorry to all for the double post. Here's some stuff in archives up here about this stuff. If you search up "Tlingit dry fish" (pronounced like Lingit or Clingit) there are a lot of archives.

http://www.goldbeltheritage.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DRA-40-The-Tlingit-Way-to-Treat-Salmon.pdf

http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/curriculum/Tlingit/PaulineDuncan/posters/TlingitDriedFish/used.html

https://www.sheldonmuseum.org/vignettes/tlingit-fishing

The last 2 show up as "spoting" sites and so I can't see them on my work computer to double check them.

Thanks. Trying to find more about Native American Smoking Fish, I did read about one Woman who helping to setup a Cooperative with her Tribe and other to provide canned Salmon for themselves. And to sell extras.

She mention that when catching the Chinook, the NA fishermen would bleed out the fish and put them in buckets with water, ice, and salt.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Thanks. Trying to find more about Native American Smoking Fish, I did read about one Woman who helping to setup a Cooperative with her Tribe and other to provide canned Salmon for themselves. And to sell extras.

She mention that when catching the Chinook, the NA fishermen would bleed out the fish and put them in buckets with water, ice, and salt.

We do yeah.

Just doing a spoiler cuz it is about killing things

Spoiler

Pretty much as soon as you landed the fish, you beat it on the head with a club to kill it(the salmon here are that big yes) then cut the gills

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

We do yeah.

Just doing a spoiler cuz it is about killing things

Hide contents

Pretty much as soon as you landed the fish, you beat it on the head with a club to kill it(the salmon here are that big yes) then cut the gills

I wonder just where people think their food comes from? It seems that Modern Folks have forgotten that Life eats Life.

The buckets of Iced Brine to keep fish fresh:

https://grist.org/food/native-americans-caught-salmon-here-for-millennia-now-the-world-is-hooked/

Does that count as Brining Fish before Smoking?

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I wonder just where people think their food comes from? It seems that Modern Folks have forgotten that Life eats Life.

The buckets of Iced Brine to keep fish fresh:

https://grist.org/food/native-americans-caught-salmon-here-for-millennia-now-the-world-is-hooked/

Does that count as Brining Fish before Smoking?

I wont get into that here outside of DMs.

That looks more like a flash freeze. Honestly, up here in Alaska most of our personal fishing is snagging(heavy weighted treble hook ripped through the water) or dip netting(a 1.5m net that we hold in the water and let the fish swim into). Treated as above, then canned or smoked.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

20 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I wont get into that here outside of DMs.

That looks more like a flash freeze. Honestly, up here in Alaska most of our personal fishing is snagging(heavy weighted treble hook ripped through the water) or dip netting(a 1.5m net that we hold in the water and let the fish swim into). Treated as above, then canned or smoked.

I had some Canned Smoked Kippered before where I purchased at Big Lots(Now Ruler Foods) before. I enjoyed that, and I'm not a big fan of Seafood. Other then Tuna Salad or Anchovies on Pizza. I perfer Freshwater Fish such as Catfish.

Does Smoked Wild Salmon have the same Reek of Canned Pink Salmon? 

14 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I had some Canned Smoked Kippered before where I purchased at Big Lots(Now Ruler Foods) before. I enjoyed that, and I'm not a big fan of Seafood. Other then Tuna Salad or Anchovies on Pizza. I perfer Freshwater Fish such as Catfish.

Does Smoked Wild Salmon have the same Reek of Canned Pink Salmon? 

By pink salmon, I'm guessing you mean Chinook.

Rule of thumb up here. Kings are caught for trophies. Smoked or cut up in steaks. Coho, you give to neighbors or barbeque. Sockeye are the good eating ones. Chum are, well, like the name implies(dog) dog food. Pinks are dog food if you have a bunch of others or smoked. 

They all eat different things. It's just like crab. One kind will taste better just because of what they eat. Sockeye are so red because of the krill they tend to eat. 

The canned stuff that is sent over seas tends to be in a super salty brine to preserve it. We don't usually use liquid or salt when we can. You can use salt if you want.

Here's a recipe close to what I use.

https://tillamookcountywellness.org/canning-salmon-at-home/

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

By pink salmon, I'm guessing you mean Chinook.

Rule of thumb up here. Kings are caught for trophies. Smoked or cut up in steaks. Coho, you give to neighbors or barbeque. Sockeye are the good eating ones. Chum are, well, like the name implies(dog) dog food. Pinks are dog food if you have a bunch of others or smoked. 

They all eat different things. It's just like crab. One kind will taste better just because of what they eat. Sockeye are so red because of the krill they tend to eat. 

The canned stuff that is sent over seas tends to be in a super salty brine to preserve it. We don't usually use liquid or salt when we can. You can use salt if you want.

Here's a recipe close to what I use.

https://tillamookcountywellness.org/canning-salmon-at-home/

Well the cans never say what Species, but merely Pink. Especially the Large Cans. Prehaps I just need to find Sockeye or something.

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well the cans never say what Species, but merely Pink. Especially the Large Cans. Prehaps I just need to find Sockeye or something.

It's super pale?

Spoiler

Wild-Pink-Salmon-Fillets_WildPinkSalmonF

Sockeye will be incredibly expensive. It's what all the fancy restaurants want. Even in our grocery stores it sits around $20 a lb. Compare that to king crab which I've found for $5 a lb(half kilo) here.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

It's super pale?

Hide contents

Wild-Pink-Salmon-Fillets_WildPinkSalmonF

Sockeye will be incredibly expensive. It's what all the fancy restaurants want. Even in our grocery stores it sits around $20 a lb. Compare that to king crab which I've found for $5 a lb(half kilo) here.

Thanks. Is it worth the price? BTW, what are the advantages/disadvantages of Cold Smoking vs Hot Smoking?

1 minute ago, Mling said:

I have tried fish recipes from all over the world. Pretty sure everyone uses salt. 

Now everyone might due to Salt being cheap and widely available. But in older times it could be used as Currency. Wars were even fought over it from time to time.

Just now, whm1974 said:

Now everyone might due to Salt being cheap and widely available. But in older times it could be used as Currency. Wars were even fought over it from time to time.

russians use salt, sugar, and vodka. Soak your fish in it over night (in the fridge) and eat it raw or cook it the next day. The vodka gives it a nice rubbery texture. This is my favourite but I dont do it much because I seem to always be out of vodka as soon as i buy some.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Thanks. Is it worth the price? BTW, what are the advantages/disadvantages of Cold Smoking vs Hot Smoking?

I get it for free, so yes it's worth the price aha.

It'll depend on your taste. Non brined Sockeye will have a bit more of a shellfish flavor and non brined pink will be more of what you cooked it in.

For smoking, you kind of want both. Salmon drys out super quick and easily. 40 or 45 minutes to get a little heat in it, rub with your seasonings, add some lemon to give moisture back, then give it the good wood, cedar, apple, what ever you want to taste. Get it up to 100-110C, let it sit until the outside is a little flaky and a knife in the meat comes out warm to the touch.

More traditionally, it's low heat for a very long time.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Mling said:

russians use salt, sugar, and vodka. Soak your fish in it over night (in the fridge) and eat it raw or cook it the next day. The vodka gives it a nice rubbery texture. This is my favourite but I dont do it much because I seem to always be out of vodka as soon as i buy some.

Do you really need the sugar? I'm Type 2 Diabetic.

5 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I get it for free, so yes it's worth the price aha.

It'll depend on your taste. Non brined Sockeye will have a bit more of a shellfish flavor and non brined pink will be more of what you cooked it in.

For smoking, you kind of want both. Salmon drys out super quick and easily. 40 or 45 minutes to get a little heat in it, rub with your seasonings, add some lemon to give moisture back, then give it the good wood, cedar, apple, what ever you want to taste. Get it up to 100-110C, let it sit until the outside is a little flaky and a knife in the meat comes out warm to the touch.

More traditionally, it's low heat for a very long time.

Thanks. About Canning fish, is adding water or oil really needed?

Do you really need the sugar? I'm Type 2 Diabetic.

well i think people use sugar so they can use less salt. The whole purpose of salt is to draw water out, sugar does this too. Try it with just salt and if its too salty you can soak it in milk, or soak it in water and re-use the water for soup. Before refridgeration and sugar people would double or triple boil salted meat and re-use the brine that came out of it to make other meals tastey.

13 hours ago, Mling said:

well i think people use sugar so they can use less salt. The whole purpose of salt is to draw water out, sugar does this too. Try it with just salt and if its too salty you can soak it in milk, or soak it in water and re-use the water for soup. Before refridgeration and sugar people would double or triple boil salted meat and re-use the brine that came out of it to make other meals tastey.

Well Meat(fish) that has been brine with both Salt and Sugar I should be careful about due to having both Diabetes and Hypertension. So I would be limited to small portions only.

Not something I could consume as a stable.

7 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Watch this channel and learn about 18th century salt rationing

Don't you have to soak that in water or milk, something? I have a book on the history of Cod, that the author mentions that fish were salted and dried during those times. They were a cheap source of protein.

Don't you have to soak that in water or milk, something? I have a book on the history of Cod, that the author mentions that fish were salted and dried during those times. They were a cheap source of protein.

That I didn't know about that.  I heard more countries use salt because it's the cheapest way of rationing meats/fish/etc.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

1 minute ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

That I didn't know about that.  I heard more countries use salt because it's the cheapest way of rationing meats/fish/etc.

Well the Eastern Seaboard of North American was just teeming with Cod and other fishes. The Vikings who were the first Europeans to find the place, didn't inform the rest of Europe because they wanted the Land for themselves.