Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel

That depends. There are licenses that ban forks but allows to see the code, like CC BY-ND 2.0

That isn't true free software though. Not according to the Debian FSG, or the FSF, or the OSI.

A free society wouldn't get anywhere if people couldn't build on others' work in the way they wanted, and my personal view is that you just need to learn to accept that...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

43 minutes ago, Caroline said:

TV sucks.

In general, most of the content is just propaganda disguised as series, movies or news.

That’s been a complaint since the 50’s I think.    So it’s more “it hasn’t gotten better” than it’s gotten worse. Propaganda disguised as news is not OK and never has been.  It happens though.   Hitler was famous for it with his “news reels”.  It’s hard to avoid and has been for hundreds of years.  I have a friend who used to be navy intel many years ago and at the time according to him the best that could be done for American news at the time was the Canadian news but ONLY if it was about something that didn’t affect Canada.  If it did it was as bad as anything else.  I also had a roommate in the 80’s who grew up literally all over the world as the child of a professional diplomat.  He said that if one was living in the eastern bloc the eastern bloc politicians sounded sane and the western bloc politicians sounded crazy.  If one was living in the western bloc the western bloc politicians sounded sane and the eastern bloc politicians sounded crazy, but if one was living in the 3rd world they BOTH sounded crazy.  I liken this to stage magic. Stage magic works because the audience is in a known and limited position so there’s all sorts of things you can do that the audience can’t see. The politicians of each bloc were talking to their own people rather than to the other group even when they were obstensibly saying things to the other group. The way I take these two things is to think that the best way to get straight news (which still may or may not be great)  is to look to some entity that isn’t interested either way, and finding one of those who’s language you can understand can be quite difficult.  I find Alt news is often much worse than regular news. They are the opposite of uninterested, and they don’t have the limits placed on them non alt news does.  When they do get the same limits placed on them there is massive complaining and they tend to look extremely. foolish.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:17 AM, Eviljuche said:

Yes, but the ominous feeling of terror and disgust still haunts me when I see other people do it, and I can't do anything about it.

You might be able to get help with that, talk to a professional.
Not liking something is ok, being in total disgust and terror can indicate more problems.
Even when a product is a product it has gone trough many iterations, and sometimes shape form are not the main concern. (I'm saying that EVERYTHING is an alteration of a previous product, sometimes you just dont see the previous product...)

ps, just trying to be helpful, i dont mean anything more then i said.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

So recently I have tried some of the meatless options. Which im going to say are not bad. The Morningstar Incogomeato chicken strips and nuggets are pretty damn good. They dont taste exactly like Chicken, but you put some sauce on them, you cant tell the difference. The best part is your getting a big a veggies in your diet by eating them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So recently I have tried some of the meatless options. Which im going to say are not bad. The Morningstar Incogomeato chicken strips and nuggets are pretty damn good. They dont taste exactly like Chicken, but you put some sauce on them, you cant tell the difference. The best part is your getting a big a veggies in your diet by eating them. 

I found the burgerking impossible burger to be as tasty as or better than their meat patty.  Not exactly the same but just as good.  My theory is that while it’s simulated meat it simulating a better quality of meat than the restraunt normally serves.  The thing about vegetables though is what makes them “better” medically is their higher fiber content and the presence of additional nutrients.  If those aren’t present it’s not better in that way.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Chicken the sometimes easier to get similar, but maybe harder in texture and moistness. Can be a really great option and to cut down on meat consumption. Can be really fun with spices, although for me... it does make me feel full like meat dishes do.

Maybe a lot of salt in either, can be something when on a diet or eat lighter meals for a fresher feeling (the body feeling lighter too due to lighter diet etc).

5 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

I am overly emotional and very random person in general. I've been in a mental institution and I have the diagnosis. Also my doctor prescribed me some very light pills, but I kinda do not want to take them anyway as long as I'm not in a depression, because I like being that way most of the times

Nuff said, if you dont have to much problems with it. 🙂

Also chemicals are never a substitution for a good fix.

But hey if you like who you are, what im i to say! 👍

31 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

I am overly emotional and very random person in general. I've been in a mental institution and I have the diagnosis. Also my doctor prescribed me some very light pills, but I kinda do not want to take them anyway as long as I'm not in a depression, because I like being that way most of the times

This is an issue common to many such drugs.  They are fundamentally dulling. One feels more “there” when they are not in effect.  It can be a cost of doing business though. If there is an issue that the drug removes it can be necessary and one simply has to suck up the side problems.  This has been the case with drugs for undress of years.  At one time the only treatment for syphilis was metallic mercury injection.  The side effects were massive.  There was an old saying “a night with Venus a lifetime with Mercury” people with active syphilis infections would avoid treatment and continue to spread the disease because they didn’t want to have to deal with the side effects of the treatment.  It had to be made law and even then people would attempt to avoid the law making the problem bigger. 

Edited by Bombastinator

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

I live in the third world and they still do. I'm in the edge of breaking the (non-political, non-offensive) part of this thread though.

My unpopular opinion is: olives ruin any dish 

Olives of any kind can ruin many dishes.  There are a lot of kinds and preparations of olives though.  Some are even sweet/salty. Some are the size of apples and are eaten like them.  For some kinds, yes. In a lot of ways they’re just massive amounts of salt.  It’s the only fruit I’ve ever heard of that actually has to be soaked in brine to make it edible.

Edited by Bombastinator

11 hours ago, Caroline said:

olives ruin any dish 

Yup, they only good for making oil.

Bunch of disgusting opaque non awesome grape looking things. 😛

9 hours ago, Benji said:

The same goes for capers. They are actually unripened buds and have to be soaked of you want to eat them without repercussions IIRC.

True.  I only ever eat capers on lox bagels though so I forgot about them.  A lox bagel is a pretty salt infested food to start with though, so the salt sort of becomes more of a background.  Trying to think about what it is that makes a caper better than just more salt on a lox bagel.  They have kind of a grassy flavor I guess?  I don’t know what they are the buds of.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

True.  I only ever eat capers on lox bagels though so I forgot about them.

would say they are best used in dressings from jar.

a bit used like pickles in the dressing.

never cared about them in other forms.

10 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Online classes when organized properly are better than in person classes

The way my program was setup before the pandemic was the best in my opinion. Our classes were hybrid where the classes were live streamed and recorded. You could choose to either physically come to class, watch the live stream, or watch the recording later on when you had time. It allowed people that worked during normal class hours to still take the courses. It obviously won’t work for all classes, but if possible I think the hybrid approach is the best way to do it.

21 minutes ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

I remember when I want for my associates degree in the 2006 online classes were just becoming a thing. In 2013 I ended up going to EMU for my bachelors and by the end of my time there most cases were at the very lease 50% online if not 100% online. 50% online classes generally met for the hour and 15 minutes once week, all the work was done online. Personally I think online classes are good for most people. It allows a greater amount of flexibility. Other than its a pain when you have to do group projects. 

1 minute ago, Eviljuche said:

Soy milk is better than regular milk, but only if you drink it with black tea or coffee

Soy Milk ice cream is pretty spot on. 

2 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

Soy milk is better than regular milk, but only if you drink it with black tea or coffee

If you drink the milk with black tea/coffee doesn't that make the tea/coffee white?

I tend to have oat milk in my hot drinks. I quite like it.

Just now, Donut417 said:

Soy Milk ice cream is pretty spot on. 

I didn't even know that was a thing.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

I was talking about the black sort of tea, there are also green and red tea sorts, and they have a different taste and are better with regular milk

Oh right I get what you mean. I've never personally had those types of tea so can't comment.

pythonmegapixel

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

would say they are best used in dressings from jar.

a bit used like pickles in the dressing.

never cared about them in other forms.

Got to have capers to do a traditional lox bagel. Actual lox is no longer made of course, but gravlax or smoked salmon if you get the right kind is more or less the same.  Chunk salmon is not the thing.  Thin Sliced and oily.

then it’s cream cheese (no flavoring) onions, no tomato, no lettuce, capers.   At least this is as I understand it. A pre refrigerator food. Originally Ordered from a deli where if they had cold anything it was made cold with ice. 

4 hours ago, Justaphysicsnerd said:

Dependent on the subject matter perhaps, and class size.  

On 7/24/2021 at 8:53 AM, Donut417 said:

try these, they are my favorite nuggets and what turned me vegetarian https://www.quorn.us/products/quorn-meatless-chicken-nuggets

For the "unpopular opinion", Fake chicken tastes better than real chicken. Real chicken can be gross and inconsistent. Fake chicken, each nugget will be the same as the other. No worry about gross or under cooked parts, no worry about diseases, and fake meats in general generally contribute less to deforestation and green house gasses.

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

try these, they are my favorite nuggets and what turned me vegetarian

Looks like my local Meijer has them. Ill see about maybe picking them up next time I swing by. Dont get me wrong, Im not turning in to a vegetarian. I like Beef Jerky too much, LOL. 

On 7/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, Eviljuche said:

Yes, I am literally against any modding, even in cars and games, because It feels anti-aesthetic to me

Even if they're solely performance-enhancing? I know there's an OptiFine v. Sodium war going on right now in the Minecraft Java space but OptiFine is a mod and it's great. I love the zoom function. Along with that is putting a CFW (Custom FirmWare) on consoles to do stuff that wasn't intended for them to do, such as save/load game saves, gen Pokemon, add custom themes, etc. It's not that hard for older consoles suck as the 3DS and Wii as it's pretty much "download this, put files on SD card, put in console, do button sequence" and you're done. It's why I like waiting until after modders have lost interest in a console to mod it since by then NIntendo has as well and it's not hard to hack them.

elephants

5 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

I use CFW on my PSP because of reasons I don't want to discuss on the forum, but when I do so, I'm sill getting angry at the fact that there is something alien in my console, especially when I see the CFW launcher in the games list

My memory is that different countries have different laws about what can and can’t be done to a car modding wise.  It’s what gave the world tuners.  Places where one was allowed to alter most things except the displacement.  I remember a story from the 80’s about a guy who earned himself a ticket on a German freeway for riding a legal moped on the freeway…. A speeding ticket.  There was also the fact that it was a moped that aren’t allowed on freeways because they were supposed to be assisted bicycles. 

1 minute ago, Eviljuche said:

I heard that you cannot modify or even repair a car in Germany by yourself at all, only if you have a car mechanic college education or something like that

Possible.  My interest waned when I found out it would be so close to impossible as didn’t matter for me to be able to drive there. Moped dude might have been a mechanic.  I don’t know.  Also it was a while ago so laws may have changed.  Possibly because of stunts like that.