Does LTT build PCs yet?

FrostMyFlakes

So I tried to get a PC built from iBuyPower for almost $4k. It goes delayed for 2 months and when they sent it to me the cable management could have started a fire and the motherboard was damaged. Asking if the One The ONLY LTT peeps build PCs yet? after looking at how well they build PCs on vids Im more confident in them than companies atm lol.

Just now, FrostMyFlakes said:

So I tried to get a PC built from iBuyPower for almost $4k. It goes delayed for 2 months and when they sent it to me the cable management could have started a fire and the motherboard was damaged. Asking if the One The ONLY LTT peeps build PCs yet? after looking at how well they build PCs on vids Im more confident in them than companies atm lol.

They don't have the man power to be in the PC building business. Their delays would probably be upwards to a year. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Linus Media Group is just that, a media group. They don't have the resources to also be a boutique PC shop, or the interest. Imagine, fielding customer support and also product orders and also dealing with this pandemic all at once out of nowhere. 

Their PC building guides are pretty suitable to replace any boutique PC shops though, perhaps DIY will be your next avenue?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah, The iBuyPower delay is a month or higher :( this is the cable management I got given with the PC. Sorry shitty phone pic quality lol

2020-08-24.png

Also Linus himself said there isn't much in terms of margins to be made as a system integrator. And he worked as a product manager at NCIX, a local computer retailer here in Metro Vancouver so he would know the amount of money they were generating from NCIX PCs. Or lack thereof.

Plus it's not just about the cost of components and labor to build it, you have the time spent validating systems for stability because they have to warranty these systems. If you have two components that don't work 100% well together, they have to catch that before they get RMA requests for every unit sold. All that money, time, and effort spent means there isn't much left over in terms of profit.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

It’s all about the money. 
I would exspect them to build my PC if I would like something like a quad xeon platinum with 6TB Ram or something other mindblowing

3 minutes ago, FrostMyFlakes said:

Yeah, The iBuyPower delay is a month or higher :( this is the cable management I got given with the PC. Sorry shitty phone pic quality lol

2020-08-24.png

Looks pretty crappy 😔

Maybe it was built by a trainee 

Even if it was built by a trainee theres inspections it has to pass. For it to pass 3 inspections like this after being a month late already BIG yikes

Is that picture through a case window?

If it's the inside and there's no case window, I can see it passing an inspection like that, given they're behind. More a matter of it works, passes whatever tests they have, and having no obvious issues.

If that picture is through a case window, then that's pretty sad. With their backlog of orders, I imagine they're trying to get through as much as they can get the revenue in and avoid refunds/cancellations. Not a great look though.

Its with the windows on. Tho the wires actually come out of the case cause there is no management for it. And through the front. Also something I didnt put was that there was a broken clip on the motherboard Im going to guess they broke it when assembling it so quickly. Which should have been addressed instead of sending it like that. And they stuffed it around the PSU which can be dangerously hot for both the PSU and wires. Quality over Quantity.

3 minutes ago, FrostMyFlakes said:

Its with the windows on. Tho the wires actually come out of the case cause there is no management for it. And through the front. Also something I didnt put was that there was a broken clip on the motherboard Im going to guess they broke it when assembling it so quickly. Which should have been addressed instead of sending it like that. And they stuffed it around the PSU which can be dangerously hot for both the PSU and wires. Quality over Quantity.

The good ol' tuck and stuff method. Definitely not advisable, especially if they're shipping systems like that, since most of that will be dislodged in transport. Properly routing and zip tying obviously takes more time, so they skipped it, but that's a bad end result for a customer.

They shouldnt take any shortcuts in any build I believe. Especially one that cost almost $4k XD

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We have no interest in the PC building business at this time. For the reason, see: https://netcapital.com/files/79756669-2bc2-454d-b4a5-c11022f14b6f/otherfinancial.pdf

Makes sense. Steep profit loss in that one year.

:beard_rubbing_ensues: 🤔

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Makes sense. Steep profit loss in that one year.

:beard_rubbing_ensues:

Even in 2016... $300k net profit on $8M of revenue???

That's less than 4% net profit

Like, what?

On 8/26/2020 at 2:42 AM, LinusTech said:

Like, what?

Yeah but recently, haven't you build a PC for a customer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCMKqA3lCJg&t=769s)? Was that for a youtuber or a one off? Would be quite interesting to know since the 'Customer' wasn't disclosed in the video

A guy asking and answering in his bedroom since he has nothing else to do

4 hours ago, George Vella said:

Yeah but recently, haven't you build a PC for a customer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCMKqA3lCJg&t=769s)? Was that for a youtuber or a one off? Would be quite interesting to know since the 'Customer' wasn't disclosed in the video

It will be disclosed later :)

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

It will be disclosed later :)

:turnip:

xD

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I think they would have to build up to it. Like how artists take commissions, just start with "We are going to build X PC's this month, but only if you're going to buy them." And when it gets to a point where the pre-orders are regularly filled as fast as they are made available, then you move on to making them in advance.

Though if I were doing it, I'd probably only build edge-case systems that use the current/best parts on a "manufacturer warranty only" basis, because if you're just looking for a cheap PC, you are better off buying one from Dell or HP, at least you have their warranty system. 

Though, IMO, getting brand labeling for LTT parts might be an easier first step. Parts like cable management straps.

he got linus to reply. jeez

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

I think they would have to build up to it. Like how artists take commissions, just start with "We are going to build X PC's this month, but only if you're going to buy them." And when it gets to a point where the pre-orders are regularly filled as fast as they are made available, then you move on to making them in advance.

Though if I were doing it, I'd probably only build edge-case systems that use the current/best parts on a "manufacturer warranty only" basis, because if you're just looking for a cheap PC, you are better off buying one from Dell or HP, at least you have their warranty system. 

Though, IMO, getting brand labeling for LTT parts might be an easier first step. Parts like cable management straps.

they have cable management straps, dont they?

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

On 8/25/2020 at 6:08 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Also Linus himself said there isn't much in terms of margins to be made as a system integrator. And he worked as a product manager at NCIX, a local computer retailer here in Metro Vancouver so he would know the amount of money they were generating from NCIX PCs. Or lack thereof.

Plus it's not just about the cost of components and labor to build it, you have the time spent validating systems for stability because they have to warranty these systems. If you have two components that don't work 100% well together, they have to catch that before they get RMA requests for every unit sold. All that money, time, and effort spent means there isn't much left over in terms of profit.

Video idea. 

“INCOMPATIBILITY? 

PART 1: SEE WHAT DOESN’T WORK IN YOUR COMPUTER!”

then a picture of Linus holding a screw driver with the cross out symbol like it can’t be fixed & a sad face and empty wallet. 

On 8/25/2020 at 6:03 PM, FrostMyFlakes said:

LTT peeps build PCs yet?

Yeah but it'll be *drop*shipped to you 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.