[2019+] Apple abused market dominance again*n

Summary

apple released parental controls in ios 12. Kaspersky had an app that was part of their security plan and had parental controls, so apple has basically blocked kaspersky and by extension any parental control app  from updating their app because ios already provides those features, and "privacy". this is a investigation going on by Russian competition watchdog FAS ( Federal Antimonopoly Service).

Apple has said it removed several parental control apps from its App Store because they "put users' privacy and security at risk".

this is what kaspersky said in their blog: 

Last year, we received a notice from Apple saying that our Kaspersky Safe Kids for iOS app does not meet the requirements of paragraph 2.5.1 of the guidelines for apps hosted in the App Store. Apple had never before had any issues with Kaspersky Safe Kids; the app had been hosted in the App Store, meeting all of the guidelines, for nearly three years.

It turned out that, according to Apple, the use of configuration profiles was against App Store policy, and Apple demanded that these be removed, so that the app could pass the review and be published in the store. For us, that would mean removing two key features from Kaspersky Safe Kids: app control and Safari browser blocking.

Both features are essential. The first allows parents to specify which apps kids cannot run based on the App Store’s age restrictions. The second allows the hiding of all browsers on the device, so kids can open Web pages only in Kaspersky Safe Kids’ built-in secure browser, which protects them from unsafe content.

So, by removing these two features from Kaspersky Safe Kids for iOS, we are massively letting down parents, who expect that their kids will be able to safely use iPhones and iPads that have our app installed. We believe it is essential that all of our customers, whether they are young or old, are completely safe and get exactly what they expect.

Apple appears to be using its position as platform owner and supervisor of the sole channel for delivering apps to users of the platform to dictate terms and prevent other developers from operating on equal terms with it. As a result of the new rules, developers of parental control apps may lose some of their users and experience financial impact. Most important, however, it is the users who will suffer as they miss out on some critical security features. The market for parental control apps will head toward a monopoly and, consequently, stagnation.

The Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) of Russia has made a ruling on Apple’s violation of the antimonopoly legislation at the request of Kaspersky. The FAS reviewed the complaint filed by Kaspersky in March 2019 and issued an order to Apple to eliminate the violations identified during the antitrust investigation.

“Unfortunately, as many have observed in the United States House Committee on the Judiciary hearings, Apple is proposing that these issues be addressed by providing dedicated staff to quickly pass reviews for publication on the App Store for some companies. And as other companies correctly answered, the question is not about quickly appearing on the App Store, but the ability to implement the necessary functionality and offer a complete, optimal version of the application on the App Store,” added Kashchenko.

My thoughts

so if it wasn't enough for epic games fortnite, Hey mail, cloud gaming services, and now this to prove apple is violating antitrust laws and having monopolistic behavior, i dont know what is. this isn't the first time, every time apple sees a potential in 3rd party app, they provide their own service, change the TOS and kick the 3rd party off app store. and just remember this after tim apple just lied in front of  the US congressional hearing. i hope all these cases lead to apple getting a big back hand slap, and force them to have multiple app stores and stop this monopolistic behavior.  at least one can hope.

-

btw if you have additional sources tell me to add it here for everyone if not stop spreading fake news here. thanks.

and no kaspersky is not from russia anymore its switzerland so just stop the russian software argument.

For those claiming Apple doesn't hold a monopoly, see below the snippets from FTC's definition of monopolization

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined

Sources

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/apple-fas-complaint/26017/

https://www.usnews.com/news/technology/articles/2020-08-10/russia-says-apple-breached-regulations-on-mobile-apps

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-apple-law-idUSKCN25622E

https://www.kaspersky.com/about/press-releases/2018_kaspersky-lab-moving-core-infrastructure-to-switzerland

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/30/internal-emails-show-how-an-amazon-ad-prompted-steve-jobs-and-phil-schiller-to-block-in-app-purchases-of-kindle-books-on-ios/

https://www.macworld.com/article/1166953/apple_claims_us_government_sides_with_monopoly_in_ebook_case.html

btw there is an old post about this from early 2019, but this is new updated stuff.

man as someone that just purchased 2 iphones for my two little siss, this hurts me so deep on every level; especially since i was searching for the kaspersky app on ios and why its not updated. apple burn in hell. 

what's next? Apple makes a game, all games removed cause you only need that one game

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

what's next? Apple makes a game, all games removed cause you only need that one game

your late, its called apple arcade. all they need to do is remake casual mobile games and say oh we already have it so no need for you.

They can’t set a precedent for an app to control your phone - of course that is a privacy breach. 

Wtf is even happening.  Have they lost their minds? 

Hope they are raked over the coals. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Its just to remind consumers who owns them, at this point.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

The Epic nonsense is where I can defend Apple easily. But here, this is a weird one. Why wouldn't they allow parental control apps? Afraid someone will install them on partner's device and spy on them through it? That's odd...

3 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

Its just to remind consumers who owns them, at this point.

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Wtf is even happening.  Have they lost their minds? 

Hope they are raked over the coals. 

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

The pitchforking is getting a little silly now guys.

Apple took down a bunch of parental control apps after they got complaints that a bunch of said apps were using MDM. They were harvesting kid’s data, location history, email accounts, camera access, etc. Not only is it against the law for these apps to do that to minors in many areas, it’s obviously not desirable.

Apple put their foot down and told them if they want to have the apps back up, they needed to stop spying on children. Most of them complied as they should have, I guess Kaspersky wasn’t one of them.

But yeah, keep blindly piling on the bandwagon.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Theyre sitting in the board room, salavating at the idea of mobile phones only being acquired by a monthly rental contract, discussing "how can we fuck with them today?"

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

They can’t set a precedent for an app to control your phone - of course that is a privacy breach. 

bruh, you ok. its an AV product. that's called user choice. it has nothing to do with setting a precedent, if this was one of your shitty mobile apps that claim connect with your family while we sell your data, then sure. but this is Kaspersky Labs, actually who cares who it was, this another monopolistic behavior and antitrust violation. stop defending apple. 

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

that argument doesn't work when they already set the precedent that it was allowed up until they had their own version.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

The pitchforking is getting a little silly now guys.

Apple took down a bunch of parental control apps after they got complaints that a bunch of said apps were using MDM. They were harvesting kid’s data, location history, email accounts, camera access, etc. Not only is it against the law for these apps to do that to minors in many areas, it’s obviously not desirable.

Apple put their foot down and told them if they want to have the apps back up, they needed to stop spying on children. Most of them complied as they should have, I guess Kaspersky wasn’t one of them.

But yeah, keep blindly piling on the bandwagon.

I will always bully a big corporation just because I can. What is it going to do to them, cost them a few thousand in sales? Theyre worth around a trillion, and they bully consumers on a daily basis. Other companies do it too, theyre just an easy target, for good reason.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

1 minute ago, seapriestess said:

I will always bully a big corporation just because I can. What is it going to do to them, cost them a few thousand in sales? Theyre worth around a trillion.

I doubt you’ll ever cost them anything. Maybe consider not dying on this specific hill though, supporting the exploitation of children’s data isn’t a great look.

Just now, Vitamanic said:

I doubt you’ll ever cost them anything. Maybe consider not dying on this specific hill though, supporting the exploitation of children’s data isn’t a great look.

I never said I support it, youre trying to make a straw man argument. I dont want the exploitation of anyone's data, children especially. But so many tech companies do this, apple probably does too, its profitable, so Im going to call them out for anti consumer practices when I see it.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

Don't worry, there will be people along shortly to tell us why they are still our saviors and how paying them to not only tell us which apps we want but to remove the ones they believe we don't need is definitely in our best interests.

They are a company that is doing this only to make more money, don't let yourself be fooled into thinking they are consumer oriented. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

that argument doesn't work when they already set the precedent that it was allowed up until they had their own version.

MDM for consumer apps and screen time were released around the same time, so your own argument doesn’t make sense itself.

1 minute ago, seapriestess said:

I never said I support it, youre trying to make a straw man argument. I dont want the exploitation of anyone's data, children especially. But so many tech companies do this, apple probably does too, its profitable, so Im going to call them out for anti consumer practices when I see it.

So banning apps that exploit children’s data is anti-consumer? Gotcha!

Just now, Vitamanic said:

So banning apps that exploit children’s data is anti-consumer? Gotcha!

citation that kapersky exploit children's data.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I corrected the title:

Apple ^continues to abused market dominance again ^like they have for years.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

if there is a company i would trust my data with ( no one) but if there was apple is not one of them.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Never said they did. You’re taking a post out of context to start some silly argument.

That said, it has been made clear that they had their app taken down because they were using MDM on kids. There’s zero reason Kaspersky should have access to that data.

17 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Never said they did. You’re taking a post out of context to start some silly argument.

That said, it has been made clear that they had their app taken down because they were using MDM on kids. There’s zero reason Kaspersky should have access to that data.

but if you read my post, you see it wasnt just kaspersky. there were others too, but only kaspersky has been vocal yet. so maybe wait a week and we will see reports from bitdefender and other AV companies too. btw if you have sources state so i can add it to the post, if not stop spreading fake news.

Edited by ACEHACK
request for sources???