Rumored Specs for Apple's ARM Based MacBooks have "Leaked".

Just now, Salv8 (sam) said:

but it looks like they won't in the future!

According to who?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, hishnash said:

Not at all, you might stop getting majore OS update after 10 years but apple still push out sec updates after that and you can continue to use them on the older OS (like you do currently if you have a 10 year old laptop it will not run window10).  Apple laptops have a long history of providing users much longer lifespans also due to the small number of product lines apple sells and the volumes they sell at in if you buy a random laptop today and in 7 years need a spare part you will find that there will be many many more laptops just like your in repair shops acting as donor boards for a repair, this is just how the volume math works out.

Windows similarly has very long support life spans, even without the paid extended support. Windows XP was 12 years (with support options even now btw) and Windows 7 for 11 years with paid ESU for longer than that.

As for spare parts basically for every laptop that was even mildly popular all you need is the part number for what you need then head over to ebay and you'll find thousands of new unboxed spare parts being sold from unused stock that came from support channels and unused manufacturing. I'd rather an unused new replacement part than something from a used donor computer.

It really doesn't matter, if you want something to last or you want to fix something you can do it regardless of it being Apple/Mac OS or common name brand vendor/OEM. Apple doesn't have a long history of providing longer, it's no longer than anything else nor shorter.

P.S. The move to ARM will in the short term make this far worse for Apple devices so no matter the case now ARM is going to make this situation worse if you want to factor this at all, which personally I think is stupid to do so when buying a new laptop.

$800 macbook that performs anywhere close to the i5, has the new keyboard, still has the best trackpad in the game, retina display, not to mention your standard macbook build quality WILL sell like crazy

Majority of intended users for this type of laptop just a plug to charge the laptop, they'll rarely use external monitor.

People are gonna whine all they want simply because it's apple product, when they are never going to consider the product in the first place so their opinon literally doesn't matter in apple's eyes.

6 hours ago, hishnash said:

like you do currently if you have a 10 year old laptop it will not run window10

1nto1n.gif

i'm sure the old laptop in my closet is running win10, and it did come from 2006, so if mathematics don't deceive, it's at 14 years of service as of today. With the latest OS update available.

6 hours ago, hishnash said:

Apple laptops have a long history of providing users much longer lifespans also due to the small number of product lines apple sells and the volumes they sell at in if you buy a random laptop today and in 7 years need a spare part you will find that there will be many many more laptops just like your in repair shops acting as donor boards for a repair, this is just how the volume math works out.

this is true for any laptop. even non popular one, let's try my closet laptop:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=compaq+presario+v6000&_sacat=0

got parts, got donors, got official accessories. If i can find this for a run of the mill laptop from 2 decades ago for a brand that doesn't even exist anymore... can't really call your point a plus in favor of macs

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, hishnash said:

as will macOS 11 will run on some 10 even 15 year old macs but not all.

now you are just lying

https://osxdaily.com/2020/07/02/macos-big-sur-compatible-macs/

macOS Big Sur Compatible Macs

MacBook Pro (Late 2013 and newer)

MacBook Air (2013 and newer)

MacBook (2015 and newer)

iMac (2014 and newer)

iMac Pro (2017 and newer)

Mac Pro (2013 and newer)

Mac Mini (2014 and newer)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

And again we have evidence that the big bad MS who want to release shit second rate data stealing laggy update poo riddled bloatware sanctioned NSA owned glitter encrusted turd,   has actually done a better job than the more expensive apple counter part.    WHo'd o thunk it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

According to who?

https://twitter.com/aaple_lab/status/1288941183968751616

does no-one look at the sources anymore on tech news?

i am disappointed with you people...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 minute ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

Did most people ever? Heck I know I don't a lot of the time if the OP post is good enough and I already understand the topic enough, I'll go read it if something prompts me to do so.

29 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

https://twitter.com/aaple_lab/status/1288941183968751616

i am disappointed with you people...

That doesn’t say it doesn’t have a headphone jack. It doesn’t mention it in ports but a lot of people don’t count it as that. They’re likely reusing the body from the old MacBook so it should have a jack. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

7 hours ago, abazigal said:

It’s enough for the target market who are going to be using this laptop for basic web browsing and typing documents. 

That market has no business spending $800 on a laptop.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

That market has no business spending $800 on a laptop.

Kinda do if you wanna have a nice experience using it. Macs are nice to use and if you’re spending a lot of time on it then it’s worth it. 

I no longer need a high-powered laptop.   Not that my Inspiron 7559 is "high-powered."  (tbf, it is compared to your average consumer's laptop).

But for gaming on the go I have a Switch, which while I'm not as "high fidelity" as the PC, it's still the full AAA experience in a much more convenient setup.  I have my iPad Pro, which I find better for taking notes, or drawing, or even editing quick things in photoshop and shit.  (since my extent at photoshop is just memes).  With laptops, I don't need a gaming laptop anymore.  Not like I did in college.  I have the Switch for the gaming, the iPad for everything else, so something like this is neat to me.

Idk if it'd replace my iPad Pro for an everyday device, leaving my iPad as just a drawing tablet, but it's still neat to me.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 7/31/2020 at 4:19 AM, WelshDdraig said:

A user on twitter by the username of Apple Lab has apparently gotten their hands on the rumored upcoming specifications for the new MacBooks with the first generation of Apple ARM based Silicon (In their Laptop and possibly desktops line).…

Sources:

Source #1: Twitter (@ aaple_lab )

Source #2: Overclock3D: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/systems/specs_for_apple_s_first_apple_silicon_macbook_have_leaked/1

I love how "Source #2" is just a website quoting "Source #1". By that standard, I guess this thread would be "Source #3"? LOL

The original tweet says nothing about these being leaked specs. The tweet just lists the specs with no context where they came from whatsoever. Although this might be a clue where they came from, on Apple Lab's twitter page is says…"Apple concept maker." To me, that says they are basically just making things up.

-kp

56 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Kinda do if you wanna have a nice experience using it. Macs are nice to use and if you’re spending a lot of time on it then it’s worth it. 

You don't need to spend $800 on an email machine to have a nice experience,  you can get that from many $400 laptops.

Honestly this idea that mac offer a magical experience you can;t get anywhere has got to stop. Apart from it being all subjective, it's probably the weakest way to justify a product that costs twice (if not 3 times more) what it needs to for that end use.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You don't need to spend $800 on an email machine to have a nice experience,  you can get that from many $400 laptops.

Honestly this idea that mac offer a magical experience you can;t get anywhere has got to stop. Apart from it being all subjective, it's probably the weakest way to justify a product that costs twice (if not 3 times more) what it needs to for that end use.

Screen, trackpad, keyboard. You’re spending around the same price to get a screen in the same league anyway, trackpad you’re not gonna get one close on windows and you’re not gonna get a similar keyboard for 400 either. 

You can’t get it anywhere else because it’s MacOS. 

I really do find it hilarious that there are people who still believe Apple is offering some form of value or magical experience. It's an overpriced laptop just like any other. It won't fundamentally change the way you work, at best you won't have buyers remorse and at worst you'll realise the money you wasted on a MacBook could have gone towards something more worthwhile.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

I really do find it hilarious that there are people who still believe Apple is offering some form of value or magical experience. It's an overpriced laptop just like any other. It won't fundamentally change the way you work, at best you won't have buyers remorse and at worst you'll realise the money you wasted on a MacBook could have gone towards something more worthwhile.

There seems to be an internal change of subject here.  That the proposed theoretical laptop may be overpriced is one thing but the comment is drawn to include every product by the manufacturer.  Regarding their entire product line I do think the “magical experience” as you put it, was a thing much more arguable it it’s very early stuff like the Mac-in-box from long ago. It’s modern designs are much more similar to other products in the personal computing space than they used to be.  This is common in almost any field.  Chrysler’s first few models were engineering marvels and massively groundbreaking.  That happened in the early 20th century though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I won't say that Macs have an absolutely magical experience, but a nice experience at $400?  Not really. It's probably going to have a low-res TN panel, probably the bare minimum processor and RAM (hope you weren't planning on running even mildly demanding apps in the background) and probably mediocre build quality.

Now, if you'd ask whether or not it's smart to drop $800 on a laptop for basic needs when your budget is a factor, that'd be a different story. I'd say it's a tougher sell. The $400 system will do the job, if nothing more than that. But if you do want a well-built machine with a good display and decent performance, it's worth investing in a pricier machine... whether it's Apple's or something else.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There seems to be an internal change of subject here.  That the proposed theoretical laptop may be overpriced is one thing but the comment is drawn to include every product by the manufacturer.  Regarding their entire product line I do think the “magical experience” as you put it, was a thing much more arguable it it’s very early stuff like the Mac-in-box from long ago. It’s modern designs are much more similar to other products in the personal computing space than they used to be.  This is common in almost any field.  Chrysler’s first few models were engineering marvels and massively groundbreaking.  That happened in the early 20th century though. 

Pretty much exactly. These days, there is little reason to invest in a MacBook unless you absolutely need MacOS

19 hours ago, Commodus said:

Keep in mind that this is a rumor from a dubious source. I don't know why so many people in this thread are treating it as absolute fact... well, besides the usual immature anti-Apple types looking for something to fuel their rage.

I mean practically every tech product these days gets rumors and leaks about it that generate discussion. I can't really see this thread being immature or ragey. It's simply people talking about reasons they don't like the product because of the decisions Apple might have made. If in the end the product happens to not have a single USB-C port but more, then I would happily eat my words and praise Apple for learning from their mistakes before. In fact, I'm quite interested and curious about everything this new Macbook has (potentially) to offer except the single USB-C. Regardless of Apple-hating, having people criticize your product means they care in the first place. Even if some people never even consider buying a Mac or an Apple product, many acknowledge that Apple sets market trends, and that means even people not buying Apple products need to be wary of the decisions Apple makes in their products.

In short, people need to criticize and care about Apple products as much as possible (even if things seem nit-picky) since their influence in the tech space is so large.

12 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Pretty much exactly. These days, there is little reason to invest in a MacBook unless you absolutely need MacOS

I'd disagree.  There's a great keyboard (now that the butterfly keyboard is gone, anyway) and trackpad, better approach to sleep/wake, frequently better real-world battery life, fewer hassles (like Windows' store ads, unwanted bloat, data sharing with Microsoft)... and of course, much better integration if you have virtually any other Apple product. It's still amusing to think that it took Microsoft until October 2018 to offer some of the phone integration Macs have had for several years.

Don't get me wrong, the differences aren't as huge as they used to be, but they exist. I'd also point out that we're discussing this right as Apple is planning to switch to ARM silicon that could help its systems stand out. The Windows PC market could be in trouble if Apple is selling MacBooks that are both more price-competitive and offer noticeably better performance and battery life for common tasks. Now, gaming is another matter...

13 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That is not the conclusion I came to, though it may be the conclusion you came to.  “Less” is not “none” there are vestiges of the mac-in-a-box stuff remaining.  Tight integration of systems being a main one. It comes with costs.  For some the costs outweigh the gains.  For some the gains outweigh the costs. Apple repetively tries to find that groundbreaking spot.  They do miss a lot.  They’ve hit a few times though.  I personally suspect that more or less removing i/o from all devices is going to be a miss rather than a hit, because while there are many people that don’t need them those people have already moved to phones and tablets. Those remaining in the laptop/desktop space do so for specific reasons and one of them is I/o.  I’ve got a phone and a PC.  The phone is Apple.  It has next to no I/o.  This works for me because I also have a desktop that DOES have I/o.  If I need I/o it’s available. I find I use my phone much more than my computer and I find that I do a lot of things with it that used to require a desktop.  I for example don’t even have an LTT link on my desktop.  Basically every post I’ve ever made to this site has been from my phone.   I have even printed from my phone.  It turns out to not be reliable though.  Too many hoops and if one of them breaks everything falls apart.  This happened recently.  I HAD to print something RIGHT THEN and my phone just went “nope”.   I was really really glad I had a PC I could just plug the printer into and make it go.  I don’t even use my phone to print anymore.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Now, gaming is another matter...

Well it is MacOS, at this point it makes about as much sense to bring up as not being able to use Final Cut on Windows. Unless something changes MacOS is not and has never been a platform for playing PC games. Laptop gaming in general in my opinion is just bad anyway, spend less on the laptop and get a dedicated gaming system, go used if you have to with a new GPU or something.

Unless you just can't have a desktop PC spending significantly more on a laptop so you can play high end games just doesn't make sense to me. Not a fan of external GPUs either.

MacBook and MacBook Air while I think are a bit expensive for what they are they are still better value than gaming laptops.

2 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

I mean practically every tech product these days gets rumors and leaks about it that generate discussion. I can't really see this thread being immature or ragey. It's simply people talking about reasons they don't like the product because of the decisions Apple might have made. If in the end the product happens to not have a single USB-C port but more, then I would happily eat my words and praise Apple for learning from their mistakes before. In fact, I'm quite interested and curious about everything this new Macbook has (potentially) to offer except the single USB-C. Regardless of Apple-hating, having people criticize your product means they care in the first place. Even if some people never even consider buying a Mac or an Apple product, many acknowledge that Apple sets market trends, and that means even people not buying Apple products need to be wary of the decisions Apple makes in their products.

In short, people need to criticize and care about Apple products as much as possible (even if things seem nit-picky) since their influence in the tech space is so large.

I agree that criticism is good -- it just needs to be about products that are likely to exist, and based on reality. I've seen more than a few people in my day (not just here) who criticize Apple on things that haven't been true for years, if ever, because they either purposefully shield themselves from Apple products or are responding to stereotypes.

The thread does have a bit of immaturity and rage, albeit from a handful of people. They're the ones parroting false tropes about Macs being overpriced and made purposefully obsolete after a few years. There's a certain irony when they complain that Apple is 'evil' at the same time as they cheer on a total Windows monopoly and the death of meaningful market choice.

To get back to the point: there has been talk of a possible 12-inch ARM machine, but the analyst reports I've heard have pointed to a 13-inch MacBook Pro (possibly the entry-level model) being one of, if not the, first ARM-based Macs. That'd be far more accessible, not to mention a good showcase for what Apple can do with custom chips.